CO CO - Kelsey Berreth, 29, Woodland Park, Teller County, 22 Nov 2018 - #31 *ARREST*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Inside Boulder detectives' month-long search for answers in an Arkansas landfill

This outlines the obstacles of a landfill search.
Short read, great info.
Maybe they have been gearing up for a search. After reading the linked article, you’ll see what must be done before a search commences. It ain’t easy.
A lot more involved than a few cops showing up with rakes.
Thanks, Trudie! I was not familiar with this case, but it provided some ideas of how LE could have figured out that KB's body may be in this landfill. Police had tracked Densmore's movements by his cell phone and then found video of him putting part of poor AM in a dumpster.

I'll bet the cadaver dogs hit on PF's truck and/or there was some trace evidence in it. They probably know where he went after he left KB's.

Both articles regarding landfill searches describe how painstakingly difficult it is to search a landfill. Here's hoping that the searchers find their needle in a haystack.

Well, the landfill in our county, you drive in and dispose of your own trash. The employees don’t search through what you dump. And he could have had more bags so yeah, he could do it in dayLight right in front of any workers there. Why would they suspect anything? Surely she would be in a bag.
True.

In the CB interview when she was talking about getting Kelsey's face and picture out there, 'someone has seen her'. 'She works long shifts, she commutes, all the way to Pueblo, which means more people must have seen her.' Did PF tell her something in their phone call about her going to Pueblo maybe? Could this be why they are looking in Midway facility who takes trash from Pueblo? I always thought it was odd how she said that, like it was relevant.
CB did not commute that route herself. Sixty thousand vehicles per day traverse Ute Pass, a four lane, divided highway between canyon walls and with a steep grade between Woodland Park and Manitou Springs, the westernmost city limit of Colorado Sorings, where it expands to six lane but adds many thousands more commuters. Traffic moves at very high speed, with almost no spacing between cars. It requires constant attention with no gawking at other drivers. I25 to Pueblo is worse traffic until you pass the last US Army Fort Carson exit. Then it breaks into open countryside with nothing but a host of commercial trucks to occupy one's mind, until Pueblo is reached and it turns into chaos. Fortunately for KB, the turnoff to the Pueblo airport misses most of it. Unless she followed someone dangerously close that had a really good set of mirrors, it's possible that no one ever actually looked at KB while commuting, in all the time that she did. Back when KB commuted from the family wheat farm to the flying school in central Washington state's flat plains and two lane roads, I imagine lots of people saw her especially if she was speeding.
IMO

My landfill has a security camera as you pull in to be weighed and pay. KK's or Patrick's vehicle is likely seen on this one.
MOO

Maybe if KK was involved, this is why she allegedly borrowed her friends vehicle....so should could assist and not have any vehicle tied to Patrick on any cameras??

Well, the landfill in our county, you drive in and dispose of your own trash. The employees don’t search through what you dump. And he could have had more bags so yeah, he could do it in dayLight right in front of any workers there. Why would they suspect anything? Surely she would be in a bag.

Where we go, they weigh what you bring but don't go through it, but we do have communication with the employee. With that being said, you would think an employee would recognize PF/KK after seeing this case all over the place. Maybe that's why they are searching. Maybe someone did call. But I also think it's highly possible there's someone else who could have dumped the body for PF, no matter where it is.

CB did not commute that route herself. Sixty thousand vehicles per day traverse Ute Pass, a four lane, divided highway between canyon walls and with a steep grade between Woodland Park and Manitou Springs, the westernmost city limit of Colorado Sorings, where it expands to six lane but adds many thousands more commuters. Traffic moves at very high speed, with almost no spacing between cars. It requires constant attention with no gawking at other drivers. I25 to Pueblo is worse traffic until you pass the last US Army Fort Carson exit. Then it breaks into open countryside with nothing but a host of commercial trucks to occupy one's mind, until Pueblo is reached and it turns into chaos. Fortunately for KB, the turnoff to the Pueblo airport misses most of it. Unless she followed someone dangerously close that had a really good set of mirrors, it's possible that no one ever actually looked at KB while commuting in all the time that she did.
I agree, but the way her mom said it seemed like she thought she was headed that way. Just something about how she emphasized 'which means many more people must have seen her' struck me. Like not just from commuting back and forth regularly, but more specific to her missing timeframe.

CB did not commute that route herself. Sixty thousand vehicles per day traverse Ute Pass, a four lane, divided highway between canyon walls and with a steep grade between Woodland Park and Manitou Springs, the westernmost city limit of Colorado Sorings, where it expands to six lane but adds many thousands more commuters. Traffic moves at very high speed, with almost no spacing between cars. It requires constant attention with no gawking at other drivers. I25 to Pueblo is worse traffic until you pass the last US Army Fort Carson exit. Then it breaks into open countryside with nothing but a host of commercial trucks to occupy one's mind, until Pueblo is reached and it turns into chaos. Fortunately for KB, the turnoff to the Pueblo airport misses most of it. Unless she followed someone dangerously close that had a really good set of mirrors, it's possible that no one ever actually looked at KB while commuting, in all the time that she did. Back when KB commuted from the family wheat farm to the flying school in central Washington state's flat plains and two lane roads, I imagine lots of people saw her especially if she was speeding.
IMO

I'm assumed CB meant maybe someone saw KB if she had stopped somewhere along the way. JMO.

Let's remember that LeBrae Jackson who was murdered on or about December 23, was found in a tote in Aurora, CO; however, she and her boyfriend lived in Colorado Springs. Although they found her body. or some of her body, it is very possible that they are looking for evidence like bloody bedsheets, etc from that crime.
It's sad and Horrific either way.

Waste Management is very particular about the types and kinds of waste they will accept. They're more 'picky' about that than many of the other regional facilities here in Colorado. WM picks up my trash weekly in a western suburb of the Denver metro area. We use the typical 96-gallon Toter container; ours has a unique serial number on it. The few times I've watched the pickup I see the driver watching a video screen showing the contents of my container being dumped into the hopper, and likely the serial number. Several times the driver has pulled items out of the hopper and placed them back into my container...usually pieces of metal they don't want to take.

Maybe a weapon or implement used.

Everyday I pray that today will be the day they find her! Without a “body” I wonder if the lack of evidence will let PF off. He could turn things around by blaming KK. This is MOO. It could be a he said/she said case with a conflicted jury. Just a thought.

I agree, but the way her mom said it seemed like she thought she was headed that way. Just something about how she emphasized 'which means many more people must have seen her' struck me. Like not just from commuting back and forth regularly, but more specific to her missing timeframe.
Great point! I'm taking Everything that CB with no inflection or meaning attached, My reason is that the lady was doing eveything humanly possible to keep herself together, for her daughter. That's a huge amount of stress, even for a trained nurse and grief counselor.

So the landfill is North of Woodland Park or South? Trying to figure out if it’s on route to say...Idaho?

The landfill is southeast from WP. You would not pass by the landfill on the way to Idaho.

If you drove from WP to Idaho via the I-25 route (Colorado Springs, Denver), then you would drive about 2/3rds of the way to the landfill, but then you would turn in the opposite direction.

So the landfill is North of Woodland Park or South? Trying to figure out if it’s on route to say...Idaho?
It's southeast Colorado Springs, which is southeast of Woodland Park. The route involves several leaps from one expressway to another, and the fastest way to get back on I 25 wouldn't be a reverse trip, but it could be done and added 2 hours (perhaps 2 1/2) to the trip. It would be easier to just grab I25 and keep going until Wyoming. The I80 serial killer used the everlasting hills of Wyoming as a dumping ground for years, successfully.

Last edited:

No, it's the opposite direction, south vs north. But they wouldn't have to go to the landfill. Any dumpster in El Paso or Pueblo county would work. I don't know why posters think someone went to the actual landfill.

IF THE LANDFILL SEARCH IS RELATED TO THIS CASE....

A rough calculation.....the Midway landfill processes about 270,000 tons of garbage per year per a WM fact sheet about the facility. That's close to 1,000 tons per business day (M-F). It has been 8 weeks since the disappearance, that's 40 business days.

40 business days x 1,000 tons per day = 40,000 tons x 2,000 pounds per ton = 80,000,000 pounds of trash that would have been processed by that landfill since Thanksgiving.

Google tells me that a cubic yard of compacted trash typically weighs between 500 t0 600 pounds. (Use an average of 550 lbs per cubic yard.)

80,000,000 pounds of compacted trash divided by 550 pounds per cubic yard means those 80 million pounds take up around 145,455 cubic yards.

One cubic yard equals 27 square feet, so 145,545 cubic yards equals 3,927,285 cubic feet.

The cube root of 3,927,285 equals 157.77.

If I have done my math correctly, then the amount of trash deposited in that landfill since Thanksgiving would take up a space 157 feet long by 157 feet wide by 157 feet high. That's a lot of trash.

Now, if WM can pinpoint more closely the location of the waste it received from the Woodland Park area that arrived in the week following Thanksgiving, then that would help a lot.

Edited for typo
I believe they can,and it has been done in other cases. I can't remember which cases that would be though.
This is why I love LE so much. The dirty work they do,Sifting through garbage,trudging through swamps, etc the dedication they put into it.

@Bill Carson - Hey, you're back, and with maths!

I saw a program once about landfill management. It's all laid out in 3-D grids/cubes and they can narrow it down - if someone has told them what dumpster/where they put KB's body. WM will get the truck number and locate the "address" in the landfill where they deposited that truck's load.
Lol. Maths is my kryptonite.

No, it's the opposite direction, south vs north. But they wouldn't have to go to the landfill. Any dumpster in El Paso or Pueblo county would work. I don't know why posters think someone went to the actual landfill.
It's 6 of one and a half dozen of the other, in other words it could have been either scenario. Someone might go to the landfill to make sure the body made it to the landfill. Putting a body in a dumpster means that it could be noticed when someone opens it up to put more garbage in, you could be caught on CCTV, you could be caught by a passerby, the body may start to smell and increase the chances of being discovered. Take it personally to the landfill you can make sure it doesn't get spotted on the way or at the dumpster itself.
On the other hand, it's Thanksgiving weekend, and there may have been a business nearby that wasn't open those three days, no cctv and away from where people might see you so it you dump it in the dumpster and go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie