AL AL - J.B. Beasley, 17, & Tracie Hawlett, 17, Ozark, 31 July 1999 #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree. That does happen but Ozark is such a small town with a really low crime rate. It's not like Atlanta or Miami or a big city. My thoughts keep going back to LE or someone posing as LE. I don't think the DNA is related but it could be. I just think more could be done to track it. I also think that the shell casing sitting on JB's leg was planted there. When a pistol is discharged, the casing usually ends up about 6 t0 10 ft away. It's been said that they were shot inside the trunk. I think the shell casing would've ended up to the right of the car, not standing up on JB's leg. If my thinking is right then it points to it being planned. Again, I could be wrong about all of it but I always stick to what I think until proven wrong. All this is just my opinions.

Agree 100%. The DNA is the major clue. If it does not belong to the killer, so be it, but Police need to find out who it does belong to, and if they have a good reason why it would be there, then fine, rule them out. But unless they know with certainty that it belongs to someone who had consensual contact with her, they need to focus on that DNA, and we know from the April Tinsley case, from the Golden State Killer case, from the Michella Welch case, and so many more- that DNA can very likely be tracked to the source.

As far as the shell casing, sure, it could have been planted or thrown in. However, I have shot guns a lot, and seen casings bounce around and do all kinds of odd things. The key is that police think they were shot while lying in the trunk of the car, but not shot at that location where they were found. The best reason for this, and I am speculating, is that there may have been an exit hole from the bullet in the base of the trunk. When the car was moved, there was no bullet in the ground under that hole. Just a hunch of mine, and that led them to conclude that they were shot in the trunk but not at that spot

Agree 100%. The DNA is the major clue. If it does not belong to the killer, so be it, but Police need to find out who it does belong to, and if they have a good reason why it would be there, then fine, rule them out. But unless they know with certainty that it belongs to someone who had consensual contact with her, they need to focus on that DNA, and we know from the April Tinsley case, from the Golden State Killer case, from the Michella Welch case, and so many more- that DNA can very likely be tracked to the source.

As far as the shell casing, sure, it could have been planted or thrown in. However, I have shot guns a lot, and seen casings bounce around and do all kinds of odd things. The key is that police think they were shot while lying in the trunk of the car, but not shot at that location where they were found. The best reason for this, and I am speculating, is that there may have been an exit hole from the bullet in the base of the trunk. When the car was moved, there was no bullet in the ground under that hole. Just a hunch of mine, and that led them to conclude that they were shot in the trunk but not at that spot
True. I agree about casings doing odd things but If they were laying in the trunk and shot there, I believe the casing wouldn't have landed just standing on a leg just 2 feet away. It just seems strange to me. As far as the DNA, I believe it very well could've came from a consensual act. If OPD would run the DNA in other databases, it may lead parents or family of the killer or killers OR it would eliminate it. Either way would help the case.

True. I agree about casings doing odd things but If they were laying in the trunk and shot there, I believe the casing wouldn't have landed just standing on a leg just 2 feet away. It just seems strange to me. As far as the DNA, I believe it very well could've came from a consensual act. If OPD would run the DNA in other databases, it may lead parents or family of the killer or killers OR it would eliminate it. Either way would help the case.

If I was the investigator in charge of the case, 1st order of business would be identifying the owner of that DNA

If I was the investigator in charge of the case, 1st order of business would be identifying the owner of that DNA
Another thing that makes me think it was planned is that nothing, except for the car keys, was taken. There's something somewhere that I think is being missed. There's actually a theory I've had for a long time that fits but so do a couple other theories. I just think that the answers are gonna lie where you least expect it to.

I agree. However, @TedMac has said he has reason to believe they have identified the DNA donor.

But lets call the DNA what it is. It was semen. If LE were unable to identify the donor then it is reasonable to then conclude that the the donor was involved with the crime. If the semen was "deposited" there innocently then there would be no reason LE wouldn't have found out.

If TedMac is right then obviously the DNA is not important. If TedMac is incorrect then that DNA is very important and THE key to solving this case. Otherwise we are waiting for someone to talk before any progress is made....

I agree. However, @TedMac has said he has reason to believe they have identified the DNA donor.

But lets call the DNA what it is. It was semen. If LE were unable to identify the donor then it is reasonable to then conclude that the the donor was involved with the crime. If the semen was "deposited" there innocently then there would be no reason LE wouldn't have found out.

If TedMac is right then obviously the DNA is not important. If TedMac is incorrect then that DNA is very important and THE key to solving this case. Otherwise we are waiting for someone to talk before any progress is made....

I agree, if the DNA (semen)was linked to someone already, and they had an explanation and alibi, then it's a dead end. I guess we do not officially know that as of now. If that DNA has been linked to someone who isn't the killer, that really hurts this case in my opinion, because I think it's the best lead there is.

Don't they need an actual physical sample of the DNA in order to do familial testing? I think that was the case with the gsk if I'm not mistaken.

The investigators presumably have the DNA profile from their crime scene sample. That profile can be uploaded to GEDmatch to look for connected family profiles, then forensic genealogy takes over. They will look at every person in that family building & mapping out a tree until they get to the person most likely to be the owner of the DNA sample left at the crime scene. Then investigators would get a DNA sample from that person without their knowledge most likely, and confirm their suspicions to make sure it matches the crime scene DNA. There a couple wild cards. If there wasn't enough sample left to work with, or it hadn't been preserved well, etc that could throw a monkey wrench into things

The investigators presumably have the DNA profile from their crime scene sample. That profile can be uploaded to GEDmatch to look for connected family profiles, then forensic genealogy takes over. They will look at every person in that family building & mapping out a tree until they get to the person most likely to be the owner of the DNA sample left at the crime scene. Then investigators would get a DNA sample from that person without their knowledge most likely, and confirm their suspicions to make sure it matches the crime scene DNA. There a couple wild cards. If there wasn't enough sample left to work with, or it hadn't been preserved well, etc that could throw a monkey wrench into things
Not totally up to speed on GEDmatch, I was assuming they needed a physical sample to do their thing, I didn't realize they would accept an already established profile. I guess I thought GEDmach established the profile from saliva sample or whatever it is they are sent and went from there. The science is getting better by the year and it needs to be utilized. I worry about the privacy advocates and others getting the government to clamp down on it. LE no doubt has the profile and probably a physical sample, but I do wonder.

I agree, if the DNA (semen)was linked to someone already, and they had an explanation and alibi, then it's a dead end. I guess we do not officially know that as of now. If that DNA has been linked to someone who isn't the killer, that really hurts this case in my opinion, because I think it's the best lead there is.
If LE has identified the DNA source then that would make me believe it was planned even more. The DNA was the only thing that would lean towards crime of opportunity (just my opionion) . I just don't think someone is gonna just shoot two 17 yr old girls for the hell of it. It just seemed planned to me. If it was a person killing, just to be killing then I think it would've happened again. Whoever did it seemed to know how to cover their tracks.............gotten away with it for almost 20 yrs. The rate it's going, it'll be 20 more. Sad........very sad.

CuriousD, it has been mentioned that a Boston Red Sox baseball cap was also taken from the car. The cap was given to J.B. by her father. This is my recollection, feel free to correct me if I am incorrect.
You're correct. I recall reading or hearing that. The cap could've been lost prior or dropped somewhere. Don't think it would be a motive to kill though. I've always thought there was a reason for the murders. I hope one day it comes out though. I think the answers are gonna be where everyone is least likely to look. All of this is just my opinions.

You're correct. I recall reading or hearing that. The cap could've been lost prior or dropped somewhere. Don't think it would be a motive to kill though. I've always thought there was a reason for the murders. I hope one day it comes out though. I think the answers are gonna be where everyone is least likely to look. All of this is just my opinions.
Could it be a trophy or something taken to hide the killer's identity?

Could it be a trophy or something taken to hide the killer's identity?
That's what I believe. The only evidence that we know about that I think is tied to the killer or killers is the palm print on the car. The keys could've been taken out of instinct of taking keys when you park a car. I'm sure they were disposed of. I wonder if the other bullet casing was found inside the trunk? If the LE thinks the guy that went to michigan or Ohio did it, then wouldn't there be others turn up dead around him? People that kill just to kill usually do it again. There's too many things that makes ME believe it was planned. This is all just my opinion but until the person or persons are caught, everyone including LE is a suspect in my eyes.

Out of curiosity, do we know anything about the Red Sox baseball cap that is missing from the car? Was it autographed by a player, personal message from her father written on inside rim, personalized with pins/decorations added to it? We know the keys had the personalized beads and would have to be hidden/destroyed but if the cap was just a plain cap it could potentially be left out in plain view. Just trying to think of anything that might provoke a memory or recollection.

Out of curiosity, do we know anything about the Red Sox baseball cap that is missing from the car? Was it autographed by a player, personal message from her father written on inside rim, personalized with pins/decorations added to it? We know the keys had the personalized beads and would have to be hidden/destroyed but if the cap was just a plain cap it could potentially be left out in plain view. Just trying to think of anything that might provoke a memory or recollection.

Good question about the cap. I have never heard anything about it except it was a Boston Red Sox cap, it is missing and am not aware of anything unique about such as the things you mentioned.

The cap and the keys.... The cap was bought at a Red Sox game JB attended with her step father, Joey Burgoon, soon before the murders. Could it have been taken out of spite? (Remember her mother and her step father were getting a divorce at that time.)

The keys were also taken. A self-described "person of interest" who posted under Veritas on the Wiregrass board said that his girlfriend found a set of keys in his home sometime after the murders that looked like JB's, and she freaked out and accused him of being the murder. He was the boyfriend of the mother (Janise) of the girl (Jana) who was throwing the party "in JB's honor" that night.

He posted that he had been questioned, and I contacted Chief Marlos Walker with his name a couple of years ago, so I know LE is aware of this guy. He has been arrested since that time for assault and menacing. It was stated on Wiregrass that this guy had a alibi for that night, but I don't know how well his alibi was vetted. For what it is worth, he was the boyfriend of Janise, whom I've heard was friendly with JB's mom. He also stated that his brother was sleeping with one of Johnny Barrentine's sisters. (That is a lot of coincidence!)

I have tried to look objectively at all possibilities, and I just keep coming back to this dude. A lot of times in small towns, the police might know, but not be able to prove, who committed a murder. As no answers emerge, I wonder if that is the case with these murders.

The cap and the keys.... The cap was bought at a Red Sox game JB attended with her step father, Joey Burgoon, soon before the murders. Could it have been taken out of spite? (Remember her mother and her step father were getting a divorce at that time.)

The keys were also taken. A self-described "person of interest" who posted under Veritas on the Wiregrass board said that his girlfriend found a set of keys in his home sometime after the murders that looked like JB's, and she freaked out and accused him of being the murder. He was the boyfriend of the mother (Janise) of the girl (Jana) who was throwing the party "in JB's honor" that night.

He posted that he had been questioned, and I contacted Chief Marlos Walker with his name a couple of years ago, so I know LE is aware of this guy. He has been arrested since that time for assault and menacing. It was stated on Wiregrass that this guy had a alibi for that night, but I don't know how well his alibi was vetted. For what it is worth, he was the boyfriend of Janise, whom I've heard was friendly with JB's mom. He also stated that his brother was sleeping with one of Johnny Barrentine's sisters. (That is a lot of coincidence!)

I have tried to look objectively at all possibilities, and I just keep coming back to this dude. A lot of times in small towns, the police might know, but not be able to prove, who committed a murder. As no answers emerge, I wonder if that is the case with these murders.
Do you know what kind of vehicle he drove? I wonder if it matches one of the vehicles mentioned being seen that night running at high rates of speed? IF he was the person then it would make sense that the cap was taken. Has anyone heard what their relationship was like? Couples get divorced over step children not getting along with the step parent a lot of times. Is this the same guy that had cameras set up? (I think I remember that right)

Yes, same guy. The cameras were set up in his apartment that he let JB and friends use while he was away, according to JR Cambron, the private investigator who posted on the Wiregrass boards.

I think the private investigator said he (Veritas) drove a white truck, but I'm not positive on that. I don't know if this guy killed them, but this I know for sure, he either was involved or is a troll who likes to say things to make people think he is involved. If he did it, it looks like they could solve it, but who knows?

Yes, same guy. The cameras were set up in his apartment that he let JB and friends use while he was away, according to JR Cambron, the private investigator who posted on the Wiregrass boards.

I think the private investigator said he (Veritas) drove a white truck, but I'm not positive on that. I don't know if this guy killed them, but this I know for sure, he either was involved or is a troll who likes to say things to make people think he is involved. If he did it, it looks like they could solve it, but who knows?
Do you know where or why he had cameras set up in his apt? I'm wondering if it was a pervert thing like set up in a bathroom or something to that effect? If JB found some tapes that had her or her friends on them and he found out that she knew...... Also, his gf found keys that she thought were JB's keys in his apt? If that's correct then, in my mind, it all fits. It would make sense why they would've stopped that night. If he had an alibi then I would hope LE checked it thoroughly to make damn sure it wasn't possible to fabricate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
not_just_a_phase