Found Alive WI - Jayme Closs, 13, Barron, missing after parents found shot, 15 Oct 2018 *Arrest* #40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Healing question for those of you who have similar situation and/or work in some capacity it the psychological trauma field --

Jayme's family has stated they will let Jayme dictate (my word) when she is ready to talk. Is there any formal scientific research with respect to when professional help is started and the healing process/outcome? Just curious if the sooner the better. I can see it both ways - immediate and also when the victim is ready.

It's a subject I'm so interested in. How to heal from trauma? I'd love to hear what the pros have to say.

Elizabeth Smart seems to be doing very, very well. She never had therapy at all.

Jaycee Dugard seems to be doing okay to me. She had a ton of intensive and unique therapy like horse therapy, family reunification, etc.

I don;t know about the ladies taken by that Ohio creep. I know they wrote books but I didn't read them.

I;m not sure about Shawn Hornbeck either. It seems he has done well. 10 years after the 'Missouri Miracle': Shawn Hornbeck speaks | Daily Mail Online

He had quite a bit of family and individual therapy.

I'm betting it's all variable and depends on so many factors? Like the personality of the survivor, what they went through, the length of time they were kept captive, family they have to hep them, financial resources they may have (ET came from a wealthy family and a a tight, protective Mormon community, JD got $20 million form the state of California, etc.).

Where are our mental health professionals? I haven't seen them on this thread.

I was stating that it could be a lottery for the 2 DA's defending him. Yes, of course it is advertising if a private firm were to take his case, that's why they do it.

Oh. It won;t be a lottery for anyone who takes the case. I meant by that that a win (dismissal or reduced charges or not guilty for whatever reason) is not going to happen here. If it did, it would be like winning the lottery. But even then I think the odd of winning the lottery big, are far greater than this cat getting off.

But as to the private firms, I was referring to the private defense attorneys speaking about the case and trying to say that it's not slam dunk (it is, IMO). It sort of dawned on me that they're advertising for their business in general and that simply making those statements is great advertising.

Be it positive or negative, Jayme and her story are a part of the current pop culture fabric of society. Fret not, though - apathy and short attention span will soon divert all this focus to the next horrific act in 3...2...1...

I don't know. Survivors are made famous and carry the burden of their fame and what happened to them, for the rest of their lives. No one forgets. To me, making her an inspirational icon to be the subject of a t-shirt, is awful. She's 13. They're crafting her identity and making her less capable of being seen as a normal kid.

I can only speak for myself but if I was a shy 13 year old who just endured unthinkable trauma and survived, I wouldn't want to be on a t-shirt or singled out any more than I had to be. It's awful to me.

She probably feels super sad and not strong. She was a passive girl, like Elizabeth Smart and that likely helped her survive. But it might also make her feel like she's not this strong fighter everyone is calling her. And if she feels scared and sad and weak at times, being made to be an icon like that may make her feel shame about admitting to, or having those feelings, because now she's expected to be this warrior hero.

BBM

I concur with everyone who states that this guy is a sociopath. And I know that parents shouldn't be blamed for the actions of children who commit heinous crimes.

Yet, when I read comments like this, I can't help but agree with them. This didn't just happen out of nowhere.

I'm side-eyeing JP's parents who say they never saw anything amiss with their kid. Love may be blind, but not to your offspring choosing to live in squalor. Unless that's your normal, as well.

Some enabling baloney going on here, in my non-professional opinion, and maybe some hereditary Hoarder level of junkiness, as well.

OTOH, who's to say that giving him responsibilities (clean up, get and keep a job) would have made any difference? Because sociopath.

moo

A couple of quibbles. The house was messy and cluttered, but I don't consider it squalor, from the pictures anyway. It's not his house, and he seems to have simply lived among his family's left-behind belongings exactly as they left them. I didn't see garbage around the inside of the house, piles of dirty dishes, etc. (though perhaps I just couldn't see it in the pictures) which for me, would constitute squalor. I wouldn't live like that, but I'm not seeing a hoarding situation or a trashed-out house.

Also, I don't believe his family has said there was nothing amiss with him. The only comment that I've read so far is the grandfather saying he was quiet and liked video games. As far as I know, neither parent has spoken of him.

Last edited:
A couple of quibbles. The house was messy and cluttered, but I don't consider it squalor, from the pictures anyway. It's not his house, and he seems to have simply lived among his family's left-behind belongings exactly as they left them. I didn't see garbage around the inside of the house, piles of dirty dishes, etc. (though perhaps I just couldn't see it in the pictures) which for me, would constitute squalor. I wouldn't live like that, but I'm not seeing a hoarding situation or a trashed-out house.

Also, I don't believe his family has said there was nothing amiss with him. The only comment that I've read so far is the grandfather saying he was quiet and liked video games. I don't believe either parent has spoken of him.

That's true. I wonder what they have to say.

Yes, please appear and speak up! I know there are some posters here with personal trauma experience, but I am particularly interested in formal research.
I'd also be interested in knowing if the new therapy works - CRM I think?? I was in a grief counseling group a few years ago and one of the participants was doing it and said it was excellent for her. It has something to do with reliving the horror somehow. Her husband committed suicide (gun) right in front of her in their house. Unimaginable to me.

Last edited:
the thing I see with the tshirts is for right now they may be ok, depending on her view of them, but people, at least some, tend to hold on to old tshirts, they may not wear them as daily wear but long after she is trying to put this all to rest she doesn't need ten years down the road to drive by someone cutting their grass and be reminded again. things like this could open old chapters back up for her at a latter date.

Healing question for those of you who have been in similar situation and/or work in some capacity in the psychological trauma field --

Jayme's family has stated they will let Jayme dictate (my word) when she is ready to talk. Is there any formal scientific research with respect to when professional help is started and its correlation to the healing process/outcome? Just curious if the sooner the better. I can see it both ways - immediate and also when the victim is ready.
I have no training in the field, but I really think it depends on the people involved. I don't think it would be helpful at all, and could possibly cause more damage, to have someone constantly asking questions and insisting on detailed answers; on the other hand, I don't think it's good for the "victim" to be allowed to just bury the memories and pretend nothing ever happened and/or he/she wasn't affected in the least by whatever did happen. I also think it depends on the situation whether it's better to have professionals or loved ones do the talking. JC seems to be a bit on the introverted (possibly 'shy') side, so she might feel more comfortable talking to family about her feelings. Then again, she might prefer a professional because she doesn't want family to be upset by hearing about whatever happened. Not sure why I responded, it's obvious that I have no idea what the answer to your question is. MOO

It's a subject I'm so interested in. How to heal from trauma? I'd love to hear what the pros have to say.

Elizabeth Smart seems to be doing very, very well. She never had therapy at all.

Jaycee Dugard seems to be doing okay to me. She had a ton of intensive and unique therapy like horse therapy, family reunification, etc.

I don;t know about the ladies taken by that Ohio creep. I know they wrote books but I didn't read them.

I;m not sure about Shawn Hornbeck either. It seems he has done well. 10 years after the 'Missouri Miracle': Shawn Hornbeck speaks | Daily Mail Online

I'm betting it's all variable and depends on so many factors? Like the personality of the survivor, what they went through, the length of time they were kept captive, family they have to hep them, financial resources they may have (ET came from a wealthy family and a a tight, protective Mormon community, JD got $20 million form the state of California, etc.).

Wow - I can't help but notice that Devlin also admitted it upon confrontation with LE just like JP "I did it" - hmmm
snipped from link "Devlin lowered his head, told her he was a 'bad person' and confessed that the godson 'Shawn' was the missing Hornbeck, and that he also had Ownby.

'He said, "I have Shawn." I said, "Take us to him,''' she said

Oh. It won;t be a lottery for anyone who takes the case. I meant by that that a win (dismissal or reduced charges or not guilty for whatever reason) is not going to happen here. If it did, it would be like winning the lottery. But even then I think the odd of winning the lottery big, are far greater than this cat getting off.

But as to the private firms, I was referring to the private defense attorneys speaking about the case and trying to say that it's not slam dunk (it is, IMO). It sort of dawned on me that they're advertising for their business in general and that simply making those statements is great advertising.
It wouldn't surprise me if a private firm took the case for publicity. Didn't take long at all in Mollie Tidbit's case and he confessed and showed where she was buried.

I don't know. Survivors are made famous and carry the burden of their fame and what happened to them, for the rest of their lives. No one forgets. To me, making her an inspirational icon to be the subject of a t-shirt, is awful. She's 13. They're crafting her identity and making her less capable of being seen as a normal kid.

I can only speak for myself but if I was a shy 13 year old who just endured unthinkable trauma and survived, I wouldn't want to be on a t-shirt or singled out any more than I had to be. It's awful to me.

She probably feels super sad and not strong. She was a passive girl, like Elizabeth Smart and that likely helped her survive. But it might also make her feel like she's not this strong fighter everyone is calling her. And if she feels scared and sad and weak at times, being made to be an icon like that may make her feel shame about admitting to, or having those feelings, because now she's expected to be this warrior hero.
I totally agree - I think everyone needs to close ranks around her IMO and let her heal her way without the added pressure

Agreed on all points. What I was getting at is that the unsolicited sensationalism and bombardment of attention will quickly fade from what we see now. The next shiny object of a school shooting or other act of extreme violence will facilitate that. It's simply the world we live in.

Not sure why I responded, it's obvious that I have no idea what the answer to your question is. MOO

That's fine. I get it. Your thoughts mirror mine. I can see it being helpful & harmful either way. That's why I asked about research. Guess I can Google it.

Last edited:

I agree. Elizabeth Smart was kept out of the public eye and didn’t really emerge for a number of years. Jayme should not become anyone’s hero and used as inspiration. She is a child who has endured the unspeakable. I hope her family can wall her off and protect her.

I’d like to hear from pros too, Gitana. Elizabeth Smart was allowed to mature out of the public eye, as I think Jayme should do without being exploited. I hope she gets appropriate help in seclusion.

Another problem with the T-shirts is that there will be (and probably already are) 10 billion people/printing businesses playing copycat . . . all chasing the almighty dollar at the expense of Jayme.

Another problem with the T-shirts is that there will be (and probably already are) 10 billion people/printing businesses playing copycat . . . all chasing the almighty dollar at the expense of Jayme.
I doubt it. Anyone who attempts to profit in that way, will face a tremendous backlash from the public.

It would not be worthwhile.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members