FL FL - Detra McGuire, 23, Lake City, 2 Nov 1988

I just read about this case and saw a photo of her daughter in the hospital shortly before she died. Based on what I read here I'm surpised this case didn't get more coverage then it got. Good that you Jason are doing and tremendous job here in giving it pubblicity. They deserve justice.

There was a suspect/person of interest right? what kind of relation did he/she have to the Detra McGuire?

I submitted a possible POI in 2017, not sure what happened with that, but I received word there was a man named Carlis Lindsay, who had been in a relationship with a much younger woman and he killed her and her brother in 1991. From what I understand, Detra had to run errands within the downtown Lake City area, which is close to where Lindsay lived. I wonder if he may had been involved with her on the side.

Still trying to make sense of this case for two years now...

Any news about these jane does?

Nothing yet that I can disclose. I was made aware that testing had been done on a human cranium found in Lake City in the 90s, not sure the results.

The DNA is still pending in the Green Cove Springs Jane Doe case, so hoping to hear about the results any day now.

A set of skeletal remains was found near Trout Lake in Alachua County on March 21, 2001. The remains belonged to a black female between 20 and 45 who appeared to have been dead for several years. The case is not on FLUIDDB, NamUS, or Doe Network. Instead, I found it on the Florida Department of Law Enforcement's database of unsolved cases.

Here is a direct quote from the website, since it doesn't have individual webpages for each case file for some reason:

About this case:
Unidentified Human Remains Date Found: 3/21/2001 Estimated Date of Death: Years prior to discovery Age: 20-45 Race: Black Sex: Female Circumstances: On 3/21/2001, the skeletal remains of an unknown black female were found in the woods, east of SE 35th St, near Trout Lake, in Alachua County. The remains were found along with a red dress, two sweaters, a blue cloth belt, and an undergarment. ACSO # 01-3566

From what I remember, Detra did have ties to Alachua County, and it is just one county away from where she was last seen.

The clothing doesn't match what Detra was last seen wearing, and no height and weight are listed, but I'm guessing that due to the state of remains, it was impossible to estimate height/weight anyway.

A set of skeletal remains was found near Trout Lake in Alachua County on March 21, 2001. The remains belonged to a black female between 20 and 45 who appeared to have been dead for several years. The case is not on FLUIDDB, NamUS, or Doe Network. Instead, I found it on the Florida Department of Law Enforcement's database of unsolved cases.

Here is a direct quote from the website, since it doesn't have individual webpages for each case file for some reason:

From what I remember, Detra did have ties to Alachua County, and it is just one county away from where she was last seen.

The clothing doesn't match what Detra was last seen wearing, and no height and weight are listed, but I'm guessing that due to the state of remains, it was impossible to estimate height/weight anyway.
First, allow me to thank you for this link. I have tried so hard the last several months to try and use this site and I thought it was limited to the 25 profiles you see on the homepage. I never could find the search engine and now that I did I feel like I have an entire system of cold cases at my fingertips in Florida!

With that said, very good find! I’ll look into it and see if I can make something of this. I could not find this case beyond the FDLE database either. I had the same issue with the Detra McGuire case a few years ago when I first heard about it. I only found it in the Porchlight database, and no where else until I began a discussion on it. Then she got a Charley Project profile then a Doe Network profile.

I will definitely look into this because I feel like she could have lived longer than she most may have thought, but I believe that she is likely gone and this has become more of a recovery situation than anything.

The big deal will be if this Jane Doe has DNA on file.

I have submitted this case to both ACSO and the CCSO for potential match. I know at the moment, Katina's group is still chiseling away at other potential matches I submitted over a year ago, with Green Cove Springs Jane Doe being higher of the cases to be a potential match. However, with the ACSO case being revealed (thanks to you @Furro), this could be a lead.

Detra's boyfriend, Elara Murphy, is from Alachua. Alachua is the town before you get to Gainesville on Hwy. 41. I did some research and it appears he still lives in Alachua, and is heavily involved with the church he goes to. Not gonna cast stones yet, but even though hes "been cleared" I still wouldn't look past him either. Too many cases prove that the person who killed someone could perhaps be someone the victim knew well. However, I would wonder what the MO was if Elara was to be responsible.

I hope to hear back from them later or see if there is a ruleout made. We will just have to wait and see.

Great; I hope that you hear back soon from both Alachua and Columbia SOs, seeing as the ACJD case seems to be very cold.

Also, about the 1989 Green Cove Springs UID: I live very, very close to Green Cove Springs and I am aware of the 1989 Jane Doe case. I was convinced that a local woman named Melinda Holder who went missing from the same town in the same year was a match to Clay County Jane Doe, but she was ruled out a really long time ago.

Great; I hope that you hear back soon from both Alachua and Columbia SOs, seeing as the ACJD case seems to be very cold.

Also, about the 1989 Green Cove Springs UID: I live very, very close to Green Cove Springs and I am aware of the 1989 Jane Doe case. I was convinced that a local woman named Melinda Holder who went missing from the same town in the same year was a match to Clay County Jane Doe, but she was ruled out a really long time ago.
Oh wow! Yeah I saw Holder had been on the ruleouts list for a while now. I’ve been meaning to give her a thread on here and add her to Unidentified Wiki.

I’m still slightly convinced she’s Detra, but on the other hand, some things definitely don’t add up.

Also, I tried so hard to find more info on the ACJD, and not even the Gainesville Sun did anything on the case. I looked through their archives on Google to see if there was even a blurb. Nothing.

At this time, I'd like to go ahead and upload all of the documents that CCSO have provided me with in reference to this case. I want to thank Larry Auger and Capt. Dicks for helping me out on the resources for this case. Some of these documents may not be legible as these are much older documents that were apparently xeroxed into the computer system.

View attachment 129645
View attachment 129646
View attachment 129647
View attachment 129648
View attachment 129649

Not important primary but did you notice that in the same auto theft report the birth date of the boyfriend is different (1963 - 1968) I bet a fault but a bit stupid being written in the same report. According to the report he was 19 at the time, much younger then Detra, who was 23. Nothing bad about age difference...it's just something I noticed.

A Video I created, going in depth on the Detra McGuire case! Please Share. This Video will be live at 11AM ET/8AM PT.

Jason, don't get me wrong, I think you do a wonderful job advocating for Detra and her little one. But in the header of the video it says Detra is missing since 1983.

View attachment 126127

Detra Renvictoria McGuire was last seen on November 2nd, 1988 leaving her residence to go to the grocery store with her child, 2-year-old Roshanda McGuire. Both went missing until later in the evening, when the body of Roshanda was found somewhere between US Hwys. 41 and 441. Detra has been missing since and is considered to be in danger. Detra was driving a 1988 Nissan Sentra at the time of her disappearance; which was found at the Ellisville Truck Stop in Ellisville with her contents untouched.

The following information is from her NamUs profile (The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs))

Name: Detra Renvictoria McGuire
Missing: Nov. 2, 1988
Age Missing: 23 Years Old (52 Years Old as of 11/9/17)
Race/Sex: African American Female
Hair: Black Shoulder-length
Eye Color: Brown
Scars/Marks: Mole on the left side of her neck
Clothing: Blue Jeans w/ Stripe and Grey Shirt and pink bedroom slippers
DENTAL AND DNA AVAILABLE
NO FINGERPRINT INFO AVAILABLE
Agency Contact: Lt. Joe Lucas, Columbia County Sheriffs Office--386-758-1356
CASE #: Columbia County 881103124

NOTE: I am currently awaiting a police report for this case, so there may be some updates to this as soon as the report comes to me.

Hello has any of the known info been released to air on Crimestoppers or America's Most Wanted? Perhaps someone seen the little girl thrown out the car but convinced themselves it was a manikin or doll because surely no one would throw a child out the car while move at interstate speeds.

It is my assumption that all cameras from the truck stops ATMs, service stations, toll stations etc..were reviewed back then in 88-?

It is my assumption that all cameras from the truck stops ATMs, service stations, toll stations etc..were reviewed back then in 88-?

People that commit crimes like this have a problem with remaining quiet; someone has heard or know the person that have disclosed pertinent non-public information about this heinous crime. If the child was discarded in the manner in which I read, the mother did not stand a chance once the person or persons finished with her.

Coming back here to check if there is any movement in this case. Listened to the podcast again. Just some "simple" questions/observations:

Detra allegedly left the house around 7:00 PM (19:00) on the 2nd, took her child, 2-year-old Roshanda McGuire and went into town using Elara's 1988 2-door Nissan Sentra. Two hours later (21:07) the little girl was found on the highway.

• Did police ever checked the shop(s)/grocery store she supposed to have gone to? Do we know an address of the grocery store she was used to go to?
  • I wonder if Detra and her daughter ever arrived there. If so at what time?
  • Did somebody else -besides her boyfriend- saw her leave the house (clothing is known and time she left coming from boyfriend?)
  • Did they find groceries in the car?
  • Was the car ever processed, did they look for fingerprints, blood and the like? Is there something in the police reports about that?
  • Why was the car reported stolen by the boyfriend. Is this a necessity to go search for it/her? Reportedly stolen 11/2 between 19:00 and 21:00.
Around 9:07 PM (21:07) on the 2nd <November>, a passerby on the Westbound lane of Interstate 10 (Mile Post 303) saw the body of a girl lying in the middle of traffic. From the investigation report "on November 2, 1988 at approximately 9:40 P.M. (21:40) I was contacted by investigator xx of the Colombia County Sheriffs Office in reference to a possible death. Investigator xx stated that he had been advised by communications that a small child had been found on interstate 10, west of US 441".
  • Trying to find out if it's time wise logical that the child was found at 9.07 pm. I can't imagine that she was on the highway very long before finding. How much time would it take to drive from the apartment to that spot on the highway? Any locals who could say something about that? (I could use Google-maps of course but I wouldn't know a common route)
  • After not coming home the next day <that would mean on 11/3>, Detra's parents were notified by Elara that Detra and her child had not returned home and had used his car to go into town. This suggest that the boyfriend waited a whole evening, night to go and check for her. What made him act like that, why wasn't he upset. Did she have a habit of not coming home overnight?
  • And what happened in Detra's live that she went from a sweet girl in high school to booked in Alachua County jail for a worthless check in April of 1988.
@JasonFutchLakeCityFL How does the in the podcast mentioned possible POI comes into the picture (just trying to find out how you came from A to B)

Can somebody please explain the following:

This is supposed to be the missing persons complaint the boyfriend made. But the call was received on 11/2 on 16:00 hours and was completed at 16:57.

https://www.websleuths.com/forums/attachments/missing-person-complaint-elara-murphy-pdf.129645/

It looks like things are not adding up. Could it be she went missing on the 1st of November going to the grocery store at 19:00 and was called in missing the next day. Boyfriend waited until the next day to call it in? See also my questions in post #38

This would mean either the time on the report is incorrect or Detra went missing on the day before if 19:00 hours is correct and that would mean the child was found the day after Detra went missing and not a couples hours after Detra was supposed to have left with her.

Last edited:
Can somebody please explain the following:

This is supposed to be the missing persons complaint the boyfriend made. But the call was received on 11/2 on 16:00 hours and was completed at 16:57.

https://www.websleuths.com/forums/attachments/missing-person-complaint-elara-murphy-pdf.129645/

It looks like things are not adding up. Could it be she went missing on the 1st of November going to the grocery store at 19:00 and was called in missing the next day. Boyfriend waited until the next day to call it in? See also my questions in post #38

This would mean either the time on the report is incorrect or Detra went missing on the day before if 19:00 hours is correct and that would mean the child was found the day after Detra went missing and not a couples hours after Detra was supposed to have left with her.

Hey thanks for the questions! I will try to answer them as best as I possibly can. I am waiting on some important updates from the sheriffs office regarding this case, so I may reserve some answers till I can get some confirmations from them. Also, I am hoping to score more reports from the CCSO to have some of these questions answered.

What I know based on CCSO's findings and from their Crimestoppers site, Detra was last seen leaving the Gatorwood Apartments on 11/2/88. From what I gathered, Elara lived with Detra and her children at the apartment complex, not far from Detra's parents (in fact I think they lived next door). I am not sure why Elara would wait so long to report her missing. Maybe perhaps he figured she went to a friend's house? Perhaps they got into an argument before she left, which he may have taken as "she needed some time alone"? I hope future reports can detail some of this. Also, I lived in Lake City for nearly a decade, so I have some in-depth knowledge on geo locations in the area.

To answer the question about the distance from the McGuire residence to the I-10 discovery point, it is roughly 15-20 minutes from each other. The Gatorwood Apartments, now known as something else, is off Lake City Avenue, which is about 2 miles west of I-75. Because Roshanda was found on the westbound section of I-10 between the two Lake City exits, my theory suggests the vehicle was in downtown Lake City, likely in the Five Points neighborhood or Historic Downtown Lake City. Exit 303 takes you into Five Points, whereas Exit 301 takes you into Main Street/Louisiana Avenue. By Roshanda's body being found WB, thats the only option. Technically, there is a third way into Lake City from I-10; but its a long shot that the car came from there. That would be the on-ramp that is near the Baker County line, about 10 miles from downtown Lake City.

But the thing is that she was running to the store. Some reports suggest she was running errands. Either way, she went somewhere and never came back. When Elara's car was found in Ellisville some time later, CCSO did check for prints and other things, but Detra's belongings were still in the car. Ellisville is about 15 minutes south of Lake City if you take I-75. It also lies off U.S. 41. It is still not known publicly if there was labwork done on the car, but I assume there was considering that the vehicle was connected to a homicide. There is still quite a bit of information the CCSO is keeping close to the vest for now.

As to where she went, where she shopped, I couldn't tell you. That would probably be a question for a family member that was close to her. The family has refused to be a part of any of these efforts to solve this case. According to an individual that knows the family, her parents are still extremely heartbroken over this case and that they don't want to relive any of this. To a point, I have respected their decisions on this; however CCSO has always been helpful regarding any questions I had on this case.

Now to why I have also included the named POI I mention in TCCF (CL). I spoke to a woman from Five Points that knew both Detra and CL. According to her, Detra may have had a side fling with CL, and CL had known members of Detra's family. I can't confirm this, but I did submit this tip to CCSO so they could look into it. Based on my research, CL was arrested for murder in 1989 for the murder of his very young girlfriend and her brother. According to the affidavit I read regarding this murder, CL was known to date younger women and was especially known to date married women. The person I spoke with confirmed this, and that one time, he was nearly murdered by the husband of a woman he was fooling around with.

What also struck was the fact that he had also been arrested for murder when he was young. If he could murder someone in his teens, then murder this woman and her brother, whose to say Detra didn't have an affair with CL and that for some reason she and her daughter were murdered by this mad man? Because of the information I gathered, and even though its "suspicion", I still think CL can't be ruled out unless the CCSO has dug deeper into this. I do know CL has a son with the same initials and that he too has a record. But I don't think he would have anything to do with this.

Sorry if I am all over the place with this. I haven't read the reports in some time and have personally been trying to take a break from all things True Crime for a bit lol.

Personally, I still consider Elara Murphy a person of interest, as well as CL.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back