Found Alive WI - Jayme Closs, 13, Barron, missing after parents found shot, 15 Oct 2018 *Arrest* #41

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you have a link to statistics that show that home invasions are on the rise? Most recent studies I have seen actually show that they are on the decline.

Home Invasion Statistics - Self Defense & Prevention - Gun Sources

The majority of sites that I have found that claim home invasions are on the rise are sites that are promoting or selling home security equipment. My state has actually seen a reduction in home invasions from 2017 to 2018.

Last edited:
I would like to see a security device company step up and offer services or equipment.
IF a gift registry should be opened for her ( I am not suggesting but stating) then the Simpli- Safe home security system AND the RING system of monitored smartphone/ camera doorbell systems might be great gifts for her.
The Simpli- Safe system is all battery operated, uses no wires but infrared like hardwired systems do, do not require any stranger in the home ( thinking of BTK working for ADT) and can be set up and changed. Each part is small, very unobtrusive and sleek looking.
I do NOT have this system, as it's designed for a different home security than what I wanted. I do not know if there is a smartphone app which dials 911.

My point is- Multiple people could buy different components in a gift registry. It's NOT an expensive system as home security systems go, but it would be nice for multiple people be able to buy one piece or two each that the family selected for her new home.

IF I didn't think it might be construed as " If you'd had this you'd have your parents" ( WHICH I DO NOT BELIEVE TO BE TRUE AT ALL BECAUSE OF THE TYPE OF WEAPON AND INTENSE INTENT) I'd buy something like the Simpli- Safe portable battery powered security system ( It's ALWAYS on my Amazon home page and I have never ordered any security product from them.. kinda spooky) or or send a Ring alarm with video and ability to use the voice function via smartphone for her AUNT. I'd make sure the item was labeled for Jennifer.

My problem with selecting something like this is that I am not at all sure it's something that is a shiny, happy gift and I'm not sure how to properly convey the intent without the recipient obviously knowing that the crime modality precipitated the choice of the gift.
I would hate to appear tacky.

What do you fellow WSers here think about sending a RING system or the basic Simpli- Safe home security system for their home? Is it inappropriate because of her parent's death or might it be a comfort to either them or another family member if Jennifer already installed one?

Are we talking about the Victoria's Secret line " PINK" ? Just wondering, because what I see in the stores do not look appropriate for barely teen to wear except maybe as sleepwear...
This is not judgmental, I'm just wondering WHAT people are sending her, and as I have no daughter her age, I am totally unaware of what has been mentioned several times in this thread regarding " PINK". Thanks, and I hope this is not too OT, as it relates to what people might read and send her. Seriously.
A lot of those PINK clothes are sweatshirts and sweatpants. I see many teenagers wearing them and they are not all that bad. Except maybe for the ones with the writing across the rear end. They are not all like that, though. Many have " pink" written on the side of the sweatpants.
I don't know if they are sold in the store, I have only seen them in the catalogues. Imo

The majority of sites that I have found that claim home invasions are on the rise are sites that are promoting or selling home security equipment.

So true, I check the fbi crime statistics website every now and then and i generally find that their statistics are generally not in line with what many home security sites seem to claim

Last edited:
Actually, on second thought, I can tell you that two of our cars that were bought new at dealerships in the south had NO brackets in the front. Currently, one of those vehicles now has a front plate on it with no brackets. So technically, manufacturers only need to include the screw holes for a plate. Front brackets are not a given, at least not in the state I was in that required only one plate.
I agree about the difference in what's installed on a new car.
I grew up and lived for many years in the South with only one license plate, and the dealer would throw the complete mounting system for the FRONT plates in the trunk and not install it most of the time. Just leave ugly holes.
Apparently, people asked for it to be removed so they stopped putting it on.

Last edited:
IF a gift registry should be opened for her ( I am not suggesting but stating) then the Simpli- Safe home security system AND the RING system of monitored smartphone/ camera doorbell systems might be great gifts for her.
The Simpli- Safe system is all battery operated, uses no wires but infrared like hardwired systems do, do not require any stranger in the home ( thinking of BTK working for ADT) and can be set up and changed. Each part is small, very unobtrusive and sleek looking.
I do NOT have this system, as it's designed for a different home security than what I wanted. I do not know if there is a smartphone app which dials 911.

My point is- Multiple people could buy different components in a gift registry. It's NOT an expensive system as home security systems go, but it would be nice for multiple people be able to buy one piece or two each that the family selected for her new home.

IF I didn't think it might be construed as " If you'd had this you'd have your parents" ( WHICH I DO NOT BELIEVE TO BE TRUE AT ALL BECAUSE OF THE TYPE OF WEAPON AND INTENSE INTENT) I'd buy something like the Simpli- Safe portable battery powered security system ( It's ALWAYS on my Amazon home page and I have never ordered any security product from them.. kinda spooky) or or send a Ring alarm with video and ability to use the voice function via smartphone for her AUNT. I'd make sure the item was labeled for Jennifer.

My problem with selecting something like this is that I am not at all sure it's something that is a shiny, happy gift and I'm not sure how to properly convey the intent without the recipient obviously knowing that the crime modality precipitated the choice of the gift.

What do you fellow WSers here think about sending a RING system or the basic Simpli- Safe home security system for their home? Is it inappropriate because of her parent's death or might it be a comfort to either them or another family member if Jennifer already installed one?

You think so much like me in that sense. Not wanting to be taken wrong. I even think all of the attention of gifts and well meaning people in some ways could be taken as an intrusion, not because people do not mean well but more because strangers of any kind right now have to bring on some type of fear I would think, as would attention.

To comment on this great idea, no way to know, but I thought some months ago that if I was a member of that family, since they had no idea of the motive, who or why, that the family members went straight to have home security installed in their own homes, like many have probably done who followed this case as well.

No way to know of course but I think it is quite feasible, especially those living in the same area.

Yes, she woke her parents up.
Right, and I believe that was after the dog barked and she looked out the window, which was probably just seconds, but still just as fast as cameras or an alarm system would be. Maybe even quicker. A dog barking can work just as well. Unless of course, the alarm connects to the police station, but even then it takes about 10 minutes for anyone to get to the house. The 911 call was the best they could have done in this case. Imo

Are you talking about the city? Or the county? And it is probably far safer than like living in Detroit, etc. I have learned the past few year about semantics and statistics too.

And in the past few years, I have learned that apparently homicide and murder are not the same.

I am NOT saying this about Barron but about the game in general with statistics in the US etc.

If a big city for instance brags about murder rates going down thanks to a new mayor, maybe take a look at how many pleas went on and how many arrests occurred or how many dead they have that were just judged accidental or some such. Then amazingly, no statistic as for any charges... Hence, a lower rate.

I am talking generally about the US not Barron.

Or someone goes on about unemployment rates going down in their state but what the average citizen does not know is the laws were changed on who can apply and receive and what stats are they using and what is missing from the report?

Assaults are charged as disorderlies or pled down. Again less felonies on a record.

Statistics.

But yes, if I had to guess, it is still safer than many areas but some of these rural areas are starting to show some very bad things to pay attention to. Small towns but yet look what happened...

Just my opinion and just speculating.

Look at the jail roster and the talk the Sheriff had about meth. There is a lot of crime there. I saw statistics posted on here that were shocking

In several of Jayme's pictures she was wearing Pink brand sports attire. They have a line of sweatshirts, sweatpants, shorts, etc. All ages wear it.
THANK YOU!

OK, I guess they put the teeny crop tops and " cheeky" shorts in the catalogs I get. I was just looking at their website as I am a bit too tall to be comfy in most of their PINK yoga type pants, and it's a lot cuter and modest cut than what they print and mail to me. They are such a huge company they do have different catalogs sent at the same time with different items and I've apparently remained on the really racy part of Victoria's Secret wear list for years. ( and years).

When I go into their stores in our city areas, I don't go to the " PINK side".

Honestly, I would be wary. Since we don't actually know these people, we can only guess as to how they might react to certain things. People react to tragedies in very different ways so it's hard to know how they're handing certain things right now. After our tragedy, someone sent something to us that they thought would be helpful to protect our children in the future. It almost sent my husband off the deep end because, to him, it was saying that if we'd done that the first time around then our kid would still be here. He took it as passive aggressive blaming on their part,even though I know that's not how they intended it. I, conversely, did NOT feel that way and I thought it was nice, but at a time when we were all a little fragile...

My guess is that a home security system is the first thing that family invested in, probably even before they found Jayme. If I were going to send something to the family, I would do as someone else suggested and send gift certificates or gift cards. They know their needs better than we do.

This is the 1st time I have seen JP's actual resume.
"Authorized to work in the US for any employer"
I don't know why but that just hit me as funny lol.
Alleged killer’s resume revealed
Looking forward to what kind of crap job he'll get in prison. Kitchen, laundry, latrine. It'll be like boot camp again but forever. Wonder if he'll give notice that he's leaving after a couple days.

Yes, I did read that he burned her clothes and said something to her about destroying evidence. I think your right about the gloves too.
As far as who visited, all we have heard is that her father came over on Saturdays. Maybe he told her his dad was coming over while he was telling her not to move or bad things would happen.
That's the only way I can think of that she knew who it was that was visiting.
People have mentioned friends coming over but I don't know what the source is for that. I didn't see anything about any friends at all except in high school, and that guy said he never kept in touch after high school. Imo
Thanks! I was curious about the mom and sister but IMO I bet they didn't visit. I can see with the threats JP gave her that Jayme wouldn't try to seek help from another male. However, since she escaped and sought help from a female I think she might of tried to get help from any females that came. Again, all just IMO. I do fear how JP would of reacted if that would of happened. :(

Look at the jail roster and the talk the Sheriff had about meth. There is a lot of crime there. I saw statistics posted on here that were shocking

Good point. Looking at surrounding counties and areas too, it is not crime free. And it sure seems the past few years, the small towns are showing they do not consist of the same types of residents in total that they used to, it is a mix of good older decent people maybe and then those who are residing in these rural areas for other reasons...? Just something worth thinking about and hoping it is not becoming a norm but is the exception to the rule... Scary.

I'm kinda thinking that that house (and any others where she may stay) are already VERY secured.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member