The British Royal Family - news, views, clothes & shoes! #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was talking Royal talk to one of my family members two weeks ago. They were saying that Prince Philip had Alzheimer's or dementia. I said, I don't think so because I follow a thread on the interwebs (You Guys, of course) and they would know, and I have not heard that mentioned.

So what say you all? Does he, or doesn't he? I had never heard that before.

More likely he's got Tourettes with some of the things he comes out with :p
I'd imagine by 97 there is possibly a fading of his memory, but I had a relative who reached 99 and was still as sharp as a pin!

He may be sharp in mind but at that age I highly doubt he is with reflexes. He needs to stop driving for the safety of others if he doesn't care for his own. Are there not seatbelt laws in England? Makes me angry given he has a driver available, unlike the commoners.

He may be sharp in mind but at that age I highly doubt he is with reflexes. He needs to stop driving for the safety of others if he doesn't care for his own. Are there not seatbelt laws in England? Makes me angry given he has a driver available, unlike the commoners.

Yes there are seatbelt laws in the U.K but Her Majesty The Queen does not have to comply with the law as she cannot be prosecuted for any crime. You can be fined £500 and get three penalty points on your driving license. Once you reach so many points you get your license taken off you. Prince Philip could be prosecuted but I doubt anyone would dare.

Updated

Her Majesty The Queen has started wearing a seatbelt

Safety first, Ma'am! The Queen wears a seatbelt one day after she was criticised for not buckling up in her Range Rover following Prince Philip's crash

The Queen is seen buckled-up driving Range Rover out of Sandringham estate | Daily Mail Online

Last edited:
His Drs have just ok-d him to keep driving and they would not have done so if there was any sign of him having dementia or Alzheimers.

OK'd him on what grounds?? Has he been tested at a Motor Vehicle facility or are they taking the word of the Royal physician who wouldnt dare tell him to stop?

Someone needs to grow some common sense with these two, neither of them should be driving on regular roads! Too old!

OK'd him on what grounds?? Has he been tested at a Motor Vehicle facility or are they taking the word of the Royal physician who wouldnt dare tell him to stop?

Someone needs to grow some common sense with these two, neither of them should be driving on regular roads! Too old!

I'm inclined to agree. The headlines this week could have been VERY different. Imagine if he had died, or actually worse, been responsible for killing the people in the other car? I guess he was saved by the fact his car is armoured.

They may be above the law but they shouldn't be allowed to be above common sense!

The DVLA don’t send you for a medical assessment unless you report to them that you have developed a medical condition or it has worsened that could impair your driving. Prince Philip’s doctor has a serious legal obligation to report to him to the DVLA if he is unfit to drive.

I’m disabled and can only drive an automatic car due to problems with my spine. I had to fill out a lengthy DVLA medical form and be assessed by a Doctor regarding my fitness to drive. The whole process took a year and I had to send my license into the DVLA at the start and didn’t get it back till the process had finished. I was still allowed to drive during this period unless my condition worsened. The DVLA is the U.K equivalent of the DMV.

In the U.K there is a big debate on this issue at the moment regarding whether older drivers should be retested over the age of 70. The problem with the current system is that it relies on people being honest about the extent of their medical problems on the DVLA forms which they may not do due to fear of having their license taken off them. In the U.K drivers over the age of 70 have to complete a self-assessment form every three years.

Last edited:

Sorry to be quoting myself but Phillip is under investigation for a bad accident less than 48 hours AGO as well as being 97.

I would wonder about the official/physician/whoever clears a 97 year old man to drive a car.

Perhaps the official/physician/whoever needs to be assessed as well!!

Its outrageous that he and the Queen are out on public roads, putting
our lives at risk!

If they wish to topple trees/crumple cars on their estates , that's one thing but putting the public at risk for these two is just plain WRONG!

He is nearly 30 yrs PAST the 70 yr old requirement!! crazy, crazy

A doctor in an office cannot clear a patient to drive. That is based on both a road test, and response assessment by an occupational therapist. It is a lot more detailed. A doctor would send a patient for assessment.

Same with assessment for onset dementia, it takes a neuropsychological exam, a doctor would make a clinical referral for comprehensive assessment.

Most doctors don't want to do this, it is usually based on urging from family members.

Prince Philip's crash victim reveals what really happened - and he hasn't said sorry

The woman who broke her wrist in a car crash with Prince Philip has revealed her “pain, shock and upset” – and says the Duke has NOT apologised to her.

Weeping Emma Fairweather tells how the horrific collision unfolded “in slow motion” and says she “couldn’t stop screaming” as Philip’s Land Rover crunched into her friend’s Kia.

Prince Philip's crash victim breaks silence to reveal what really happened

I’m very disappointed in how this has been handled by the Royals.

An apology is considered an admission of guilt. You never apologize before hiring a lawyer and the RF never apologizes for anything. That's not what they are about....at all.

Where does Prince Philip even have to go?? Why is driving on public roads such a necessity?

Wasn't there something in the news a while back about him living mostly at Wood Farm on Sandrigham estate?

Prince Philip is now living in a cottage at Sandringham | Daily Mail Online

Have never been there, but he probably has to go out on the local road to get to the main part of the estate. Maybe he's also doing his own shopping and errands? He really shouldn't be out and about, driving on his own.

An apology is considered an admission of guilt. You never apologize before hiring a lawyer and the RF never apologizes for anything. That's not what they are about....at all.

I don’t know what the legal situation is with the Royals and insurance. They will not want to be sued and there to be a legal case. However a note could be sent saying: “It is unfortunate that the incident on 17th of January 2019 occurred. The Duke of Edinburgh sends his best wishes. Sincerely, Secretary to The Duke of Edinburgh.” That is good manners and does not admit liability.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cindy88