GUILTY MI - Ashley Young, 32, dismembered, Kalamazoo, 29 Nov 2018 *arrests*

“GR man charged with murder, mutilation ordered to trial”

“A Kent County judge Friday ruled there is enough evidence to try Jared Chance on charges of open murder, tampering with evidence, mutilation of a dead body and concealing the death of 31-year-old Ashley Young of Oshtemo Township.

Young was last seen alive with Chance in the early hours of Nov. 29. He was arrested three days later when her partial remains were found in the Grand Rapids house where he lives.

[SBM]

Neighbor Mario Nelson also testified Friday, saying he saw Ashley Young at Chance's apartment. He also said he had previously seen Chance carrying a gun, and that Chance once told him if he had to shoot someone, he knew how to clean it up, specifically mentioning ammonia.

[SBM]

On Dec. 2, Nelson said a foul odor in the building, his girlfriend saying Chance was ‘rumbling around’ in the basement earlier, and a woman going through Chance's trash outside prompted him to check the building's basement. At the base of the stairs, he said he found a tarp leaking blood.

Nelson also testified Jared Chance asked him to help him get into Young's car.

[SBM]

A forensic pathologist also took the stand Friday. Dr. David Start said he believes Young died from trauma to her head or neck area, possibly from strangulation or smothering. He said drug tests showed only nicotine and alcohol in her system at the time of her death.

Start believes her body was dismembered after her death. Her head, hands and feet have still not been recovered.

[SBM]

Jared Chance is also being charged as a habitual offender — his fourth offense. If convicted, he faces a life sentence.“ (BBM)
GR man charged with murder, mutilation ordered to trial

I’m wondering if the “woman going through Chance's trash outside” was his mom.

Hey cybervampira!
Thanks for the video.

Any news on next court dates? They seemed to have disappeared from the court site in Kent County....
74x46px-LL-59c83b81_question-marks.gif
well, not disappeared - they all say "Closed"....

Hey cybervampira!
Thanks for the video.

Any news on next court dates? They seemed to have disappeared from the court site in Kent County....
74x46px-LL-59c83b81_question-marks.gif
well, not disappeared - they all say "Closed"....
Maybe because of this?
Jan. 11: Jared Chance has a probable-cause hearing before Grand Rapids District Judge Jennifer Faber, who orders his case bound over to Circuit Court on all charges.

Did you check Circuit Court?

No - I haven't - didn't see that! I'll go see if I can find a link - unless you have one handy??!! :D

Do you think it's also for his parents? Circuit court I mean.

No - I haven't - didn't see that! I'll go see if I can find a link - unless you have one handy??!! :D

I‘d say it‘s for all of them as it mentions “his case“ is to be bound over. Case would be all 3 of them, or?

I‘m afraid Circuit Court searches are not free:
Online Services - Kent County, Michigan

I‘d say it‘s for all of them as it mentions “his case“ is to be bound over. Case would be all 3 of them, or?

I‘m afraid Circuit Court searches are not free:
Online Services - Kent County, Michigan
Found an article from three days ago reporting that:

“While Jared Chance's murder trial will proceed separately, both James and Barbara Chance will appear in Kent County Circuit Court on April 29 for a case status conference. Jared Chance is facing up to life in prison if convicted of murder and the Chance parents are each facing up to 15 years in prison.” (BBM)
Police reports show lengthy criminal past of murder suspect in Holland - News - Holland Sentinel - Holland, MI

From January:
“GRAND RAPIDS — The Holland parents of murder suspect Jared Chance will both be headed to trial in Grand Rapids circuit court.

James and Barbara Chance, 76 and 63, respectively, were each charged with accessory after the fact to the mutilation of a body and perjury after their son, 29, was arrested.”

“Both James and Barbara Chance appeared in Grand Rapids’ 61st District Court on Thursday, Jan. 10, for preliminary examinations, which determine whether there is enough evidence to send a case to trial in circuit court. Barbara Chance waived her right to a preliminary examination, meaning her case was automatically sent over to circuit court for further proceedings.

James Chance’s preliminary examination, however, included the testimony of seven witnesses. After several hours, Judge Michael Distel decided there was enough evidence for a jury to consider at trial.”
Holland parents of murder suspect headed to trial

Last edited:
Updated: Feb 27, 2019 06:47 PM EST
“GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. (WOOD) — Immediately after his arrest in the dismemberment of a woman's body in his home, Jared Chance seemed oddly calm, police videos obtained Wednesday by Target 8 show.

[SBM]

Heavily armed officers went to his apartment, 922 Franklin St. SE, with a search warrant, tipped off by Chance's downstairs neighbor about a bloody tarp in the basement.

It's laying like on the last three to four steps of the stairs going down into the basement,’ one of the officers said. ‘There's clearly blood running from the tarp.’

[SBM]

Shortly after the discovery, police arrested Chance, 29, in his upstairs apartment.

Back at the police department, Chance explained why he and his dad had stopped there just hours earlier, before the body was discovered. Lobby video shows it was a visit that lasted about two minutes. It doesn't show who they talked to.

‘We appreciate the fact that you came in earlier and I'm sorry you got turned away,’ a detective told him during the interrogation after his arrest.

‘Yeah," Chance responded. ‘I just came in because I read on Facebook that the last person this person (Ashley Young) was with was me, so I was concerned. I'm trying to get some information.’

He complained about how police treated them during that earlier visit.

[SBM]

He denied doing anything wrong.

‘My dad just told me, recommended me to just ask for the advice of an attorney, 'cause I really don't know what the hell is going on,’ he said. ‘ I don't want to like sit here and talk about sh-- that may incriminate me, 'cause I don't know what's going on. So I just don't want to say nothing right now.’

[SBM]” (BBM)
GRPD videos: Suspect calm after body parts found

Also from the March 24th article:
“HOLLAND — Dozens of police reports involving a former Holland resident charged with murder show a history of drug and alcohol abuse, along with violent tendencies.

Jared James Chance, 30, was arrested in December 2018 following the discovery of a maimed woman's torso in the basement of his apartment building. He was charged with open murder, tampering with evidence, mutilation of a dead body and concealing the death of a person. He also is being charged as a habitual offender fourth offense.

Chance, who grew up in Holland, had 38 interactions with police from 2006 to 2016 in Holland.

His parents, James and Barbara Chance, and his little brother, Konrad Chance, appear in many of the police reports. Both James and Barbara Chance were charged with lying to police and accessory after the fact to the mutilation of a body.

[SBM]

In July 2009, Jared Chance headbutted a police officer in the nose, drawing blood, while his parents looked on. He was also drunk on that occasion. The next spring, Jared Chance entered his then-girlfriend's home in Holland without permission, crawling through the dog door to get inside.

[SBM]

By 2016, the two Chance brothers were physically fighting fairly frequently. In January 2016, Jared and Konrad Chance were fighting over a set of car keys. According to police on the scene, Jared Chance had red marks on his face, cheek and forehead. When asked about the incident, their father James Chance, a retired Illinois police sergeant, said ‘nothing had gone on and it was simply two brothers arguing.’

Two days later, Konrad Chance contacted Holland police, stating he was assaulted by Jared Chance, not the other way around.

‘During a heated exchange between Konrad and Jared, Jared took a blow torch and kept getting close to Konrad's face and was acting like he was going to burn Konrad,’ the police report reads. ‘When Jared was allegedly hitting Konrad with (a) stick, he told him 'I'm going to kill you, *advertiser censored***t.’

According to Konrad Chance, the fight had actually been about Konrad Chance stealing a five-pound shipment of marijuana Jared Chance had received from California.

The brothers fought again the next week, also over missing marijuana.
Konrad Chance told police he thought his brother hit him hard enough to give him a concussion. Jared Chance told police his little brother had thrown hot coffee in his face. That night, James Chance took his youngest son to spend the night at the Economy Inn in Holland to separate the brothers.

The next month, there was another fight between the brothers about missing pills. When asked about the arguments between his sons, James Chance said ‘Konrad is always able to run away from Jared because he is faster.’ The brothers were 27 and 24 at the time of the fight.

[SBM]

The next month, three men beat Jared Chance in the front yard of his family's home with an aluminum baseball bat. The officer at the scene wrote in their report ‘I believe this was the Chance residence as I had been there numerous times on a number of narcotics calls and disturbance calls involving Jared and Konrad Chance.’

[SBM]” (BBM)
Police reports show lengthy criminal past of murder suspect in Holland - News - Holland Sentinel - Holland, MI

You can’t make this stuff up ....

Monday, April 29th:
*Probable Cause Hearing for both (@ 8:30am ET) – MI – Ashley Regina-Maria Young (31) (last seen Nov. 29, 2018, Oshtemo Township, Kalamazoo County, found Dec. 2, 2018) - *Barbara Louise Chance (63) & *James Howard Chance (76) (Jared’s parents) charged (12/10/18), arrested (12/11/18) & arraigned (12/12/18) with accessory after the fact of a felony & perjury. Both plead not guilty. $25K bond. (released on 12/12/18).
12/12/18 Update: Both plead not guilty. $25K bond, released from jail 12/12/18. 12/17/18: Next Probable Cause hearing on 12/26 & Preliminary Exam hearing on 1/2/19.
12/26/18 Update: Next Preliminary hearing set for 1/10/19. 1/2/19 Preliminary hearing cancelled.
1/10/19 Update: Barbara Chance waived her right to the probable-cause hearing and also had her case bound over to Circuit Court. The judge ruled James Chance "misrepresented the facts," and said the felony charges of perjury and being an accessory after the fact were merited. Both cases are adjudicated.
3/27/19 All cases are closed. Both bound over to Grand Rapids circuit court. Next Status hearing on 4/29.

*Jared James Chance (29) arrested (12/3/18), charged & arraigned (12/4/18) with 1 count of mutilating, defacing, removing or carrying away a portion of a body & of discovery of body & failing to inform proper authorities. Charged & arraigned (1/4/18) with open murder & 3 counts of tampering with evidence. Plead not guilty to all charges. $750K Bond. Judge sets no bond (1/4/19).
12/4/18 Arraignment. Plead not guilty. $750K bond. Next Probable Cause hearing on 12/18.
12/18/18 Update: Bond stays at $750K. Next Preliminary hearing on 1/4/19.
1/2/19 Update: Arraignment hearing on 1/4: will be charged with open murder & three counts of tampering with evidence. Open murder allows for a jury to determine whether a suspect is guilty of premeditated or non-meditated murder, both of which carry up to life in prison if Chance is convicted. Tampering with evidence carries up to 10 years in prison.
1/4/19 Update: Judge denies bond. Plead not guilty to new charges. Next Preliminary hearing on 1/11/19 for both cases.

3/27/19 All cases are closed. No update as of 4/27.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back