Netflix: Murder Mountain

Here are a couple of in-depth articles about the Murder Mountain series.

Netflix's New True Crime Series Will Make You Reconsider Where You Get Your Weed
I found that appellate court decision last night while watching Murder Mountain. Funny that the second article you talk about alludes to that opinion. I plugged in the name of one of the Alderpoint 8 into google and up popped that Court opinion. I won’t be surprised if the authorities finally bring charges against Quentin in the near future.

I found that appellate court decision last night while watching Murder Mountain. Funny that the second article you talk about alludes to that opinion. I plugged in the name of one of the Alderpoint 8 into google and up popped that Court opinion. I won’t be surprised if the authorities finally bring charges against Quentin in the near future.
Thanks for following up on and posting that opinion, Suglo. It was on my to-do list. :) I’m not sure the authorities even know where Quentin is, but we can certainly hope for charges.

Thanks for following up on and posting that opinion, Suglo. It was on my to-do list. :) I’m not sure the authorities even know where Quentin is, but we can certainly hope for charges.
Have been reading up on some of the missing in Humboldt County this afternoon and came across some comments that he may be deceased?!? I hope that those people are wrong. The commenters insinuated that he disappeared after being released from the hospital. Thinking about it a bit more, I hope that Chris (the PI) knows exactly where he is. I haven’t finished the series yet. I get sidetracked looking up all the players and end up going down the rabbit hole(s).

Yeah, I’m looking at real estate there now. Gorgeous country......cheap prices....

If I may add some semi-local knowledge here....

HCSO receives an average of a missing person report per day. These are only the reported missing. Often, the missing are not reported until weeks, months, or years after they were last in contact with anyone, as in the case of Rachel Sloan CA - Rachel Sloan, 23, Longvale, Mendocino County, 13 May 2013. Often, the missing are simply not reported at all, as in the case of Asha Kreimer's neighbor Joy. CA - CA - Asha Kreimer, 26, Point Arena, 21 September 2015

Deputies, troopers, and wardens in the Emerald Triangle patrol solo. Backup is seldom easily available, and can take as long as two hours to respond when called, due to the rugged terrain and poor roads. And there are some pockets of resistance to LE where the law must venture gingerly. Murder Mountain is one. Its history of violence is lengthy.

In the late '60s, a narc shot and killed a fleeing marijuana grower. Rolling Stone ran a lead article on the homicide. Then there are the Carson murders, and the death of Garret Rodriquez, as noted above. Shannon House vanished from a few miles east of Alderpoint, near Kettenpom. And Kettenpom has its own history of homicide: https://lostcoastoutpost.com/2012/jan/29/trinity-county-closes-kettenpom-murder-case/. The disappearance of Chris Giaque from Bell Springs Road, the entry to Alderpoint, is another probable homicide; he vanished while making a $50,000 deal for pot. And retribution has stalked the Alderpoint 8.

So, was it cowardice that led local LE to get together in a party of 40 to raid Murder Mountain? No, it was prudence. LE could not investigate without occupying the ground with a sizable force. This also added the legal pressure of thorough enforcement, as old warrants were served, unregistered vehicles tagged, etc.

I would like to add some observations on pot legalization.

The recent legalization of pot in California is not only NOT going to dry up the black market; it has been enacted in such a disastrously haphazard complex fashion as to continue its existence. A logical approach would have been to extend the duties of the state Alcohol and Beverage Control to include monitoring pot. Easy registration and low taxation would have gently pulled growers into legality. Instead, the legalization was left to bankrupt counties eager to suck up large chunks of that loose black market profit. This resulted in county supervisors designing complex licensing schemes costing growers a lot of money; there are documented cases of growers spending $15,000 on the permit process in attempts to become legal. So there still are the conditions for a black market to survive instate.

The potential for out-of-state black marketing is even greater. California is now producing about five times as much weed as it can consume. Pot prices in localities where cannabis is still illegal are about three times what they are in California. Where there is demand, there will be supply....

And where there is enough loose money up for grabs, people will fight and even kill for it.

New articles on a man who went missing on Murder Mountain. Bob "the builder" Tennison is one of the victims I failed to list in my post above.

Tenth anniversary article on Redheaded Blackbelt: Today Marks 10-Year-Anniversary of Bob the Builder’s Disappearance on or near Murder Mountain, Says Family Member

Which links to a very informative older article:

Robert ‘Bobby’ Tennison still missing in S. Humboldt; holidays heighten painful loss – Redwood Times

And also links to a very recent article about an arrest in a case where one of the Alderpoint 8 was murdered: Robert ‘Bobby’ Tennison still missing in S. Humboldt; holidays heighten painful loss – Redwood Times

In this neck of the woods, the Comments sections on articles can contain some surprising nuggets of information. Also, Kym Kemp's Redheaded Blackbelt links many past articles on Murder Mountain.

New articles on a man who went missing on Murder Mountain. Bob "the builder" Tennison is one of the victims I failed to list in my post above.

Tenth anniversary article on Redheaded Blackbelt: Today Marks 10-Year-Anniversary of Bob the Builder’s Disappearance on or near Murder Mountain, Says Family Member

Which links to a very informative older article:

Robert ‘Bobby’ Tennison still missing in S. Humboldt; holidays heighten painful loss – Redwood Times

And also links to a very recent article about an arrest in a case where one of the Alderpoint 8 was murdered: Robert ‘Bobby’ Tennison still missing in S. Humboldt; holidays heighten painful loss – Redwood Times

In this neck of the woods, the Comments sections on articles can contain some surprising nuggets of information. Also, Kym Kemp's Redheaded Blackbelt links many past articles on Murder Mountain.

Thanks for this. Here is a link to Bob’s thread where I posted the 10th anniversary article yesterday. I think the likely connection to Zack Harris, alleged killer of one of the Alderpoint 8, is quite interesting. And yes, the comments are always worth reading, even if we can’t discuss them here.

Ca - Robert Joseph Tennison, 42, Alderpoint, January 2009

My husband and I finished binge watching all 6 episodes just now at 1:30 a.m.! We couldn’t stop. Overall we thought it was very well done. It brought back a lot of memories. It’s such an incredibly beautiful place. We are very familiar with Garberville and Alderpoint. The sheriff shown driving in the first episode, was one of my husband’s elementary school students.

We lived in southern Humboldt from the late ‘60’s to early ‘80’s on a few acres doing the back to the land thing with goats, chickens, garden, etc. We were not growers and weren’t part of the culture. Until toward the end of our time there, most growing was done in other parts of our area, so it only impacted us indirectly. But we were there for CAMP and watched violent crime increase even in our quiet spot until we decided it was time to leave.

Watching Garret’s story unfold was heartbreaking. It didn’t even have to happen. All for a quick buck. I hadn’t realized that he was in as deep as he was, in partnership on a grow, with sketchy people. That increased the danger. I thought he just helped seasonally with growing.

I do think HCSO dropped the ball on finding and interviewing people, and could have more aggressively pursued the kid who killed Neil. But I also understand the legal and economic constraints they operate under. Too many people expect LE to go beyond what is allowed. Chris Cook was great.

While I’m glad Garret’s family got him back, I would not want anyone to take the law into their own hands for my child as the Alderpoint 8 did. I can’t admire an outlaw lifestyle, even if I benefit.

Those getting permits and becoming legal growers will find themselves put out of business by the big corporations that can afford all the fees. I don’t think the end of prohibition was good for any small mom and pop distilleries, and the same will be true now. Eventually, I think the black market people will be driven out too.

We still have old friends who still live there and have to cope with “the industry.” I hope someday Humboldt will return to the “good old days” that we briefly knew.

I live in Humboldt. Been here since 1981. It will be interesting indeed to see how legalization affects the economy here. It's gonna get ugly, and it's already begun.

Anyhow, seeing this thread kicked me into gear. Off to FINALLY watch Murder Mountain . . .

I live in Humboldt. Been here since 1981. It will be interesting indeed to see how legalization affects the economy here. It's gonna get ugly, and it's already begun.

Anyhow, seeing this thread kicked me into gear. Off to FINALLY watch Murder Mountain . . .

Welcome!

We were starting to think about leaving Humboldt as you arrived. We have friends who still live in SoHum who are basically “surrounded” by illegal grows. I think big pharma is going to swoop in and take over the legal grows. But there will always be illegal ones. It’s definitely getting uglier.

Come back and let us know what you think of “Murder Mountain.”

A response by Garret’s aunt to Sheriff Honsall’s critique of “Murder Mountain.” She reveals information about the HCSO investigation that she hasn’t ever shared. The 98+ comments after the article are indicative of the various attitudes and opinions in the community. Commenter “B.A.” gets quite a bit of flak, as do others who point out that Garett was engaged in a very dangerous activity. Even though what happened to him is tragic, it was predicatable. If nothing else, I hope “Murder Mountain” causes people to think carefully and decide the money isn’t worth the risk. I can dream.

Family of Garret Rodriguez Accuses Humboldt County Sheriff’s Office of ‘Hiding Behind Excuses’

“Inside Edition” comes to Murder Mountain where “Hundreds of people disappear every year” says the perky blonde introducing the segment. Really? And 60% of marijuana is grown there. Really?

Two local growers are interviewed with bandanas covering the lower part of their faces but still totally recognizable. It seems designed to counteract the negative publicity for HCSO, but comes across rather sloppy and ignorant IMO. As always, the comments are worth reading.

Inside Edition Comes to Humboldt Hyping Murder Mountain, the Series (Oddly They Don’t Appear to Make It to Rancho Sequoia Though)

Similar story from LoCO with equally interesting comments:

(VIDEO) Masked Humboldt Pot Growers Dish to ‘Inside Edition’ About Murder Mountain: ‘It Ain’t No Joke’

Last edited:
A response by Garret’s aunt to Sheriff Honsall’s critique of “Murder Mountain.” She reveals information about the HCSO investigation that she hasn’t ever shared. The 98+ comments after the article are indicative of the various attitudes and opinions in the community. Commenter “B.A.” gets quite a bit of flak, as do others who point out that Garett was engaged in a very dangerous activity. Even though what happened to him is tragic, it was predicatable. If nothing else, I hope “Murder Mountain” causes people to think carefully and decide the money isn’t worth the risk. I can dream.

Family of Garret Rodriguez Accuses Humboldt County Sheriff’s Office of ‘Hiding Behind Excuses’

I don't know what to think about that... Police cannot just look the other way, and allow the lawbreakers to kill each other. That is anarchy, and reasons why so many people immigrate to the United States, primarily for safety from that type of violence.

Nor can we blame a murder victim for his own death, shrug. He was involved with fast money and drugs, very dangerous people...but we can't let them just kill who they want...

I don't know what to think about that... Police cannot just look the other way, and allow the lawbreakers to kill each other. That is anarchy, and reasons why so many people immigrate to the United States, primarily for safety from that type of violence.

Nor can we blame a murder victim for his own death, shrug. He was involved with fast money and drugs, very dangerous people...but we can't let them just kill who they want...

Right on both points...in a perfect world. Southern Humboldt County is a different world. It was dangerous even when we left almost 35 years ago. For example, we lived at least 30 minutes from the sub-station and spent a scary hour waiting for the sheriff while listening to our neighbor yelling up the hill that he was going to kill us. When he was released from jail, he came to our house to let us know he was back. I was home alone. He could have killed me. The day before escrow closed on our property a year later, his girlfriend killed a man coming to steal their crop. I’ve got other stories but it’s much worse now. There really is anarchy in certain parts.

I’m not saying HCSO handled Garret’s disappearance with compassion or his murder thoroughly. And my heart goes out to Garret and his family. But I don’t think it’s blaming Garret for his murder to say that when people go out into those hills to work on grows they go at their own risk. There simply aren’t enough LEOs to search for and protect them. Is it really their responsibility in this environment? That’s a difficult moral, ethical and legal question.

Just as searches for missing hikers are called off or not even started because conditions are unsafe for searchers, LEOs have to carefully weigh the risk to their lives searching for a person missing from a grow. I would call that prudent rather than looking the other way...although I’m sure it feels like the latter to family. And unlike the lawless element, LE has to follow legal procedures in order to investigate and make an arrest. It’s hard to know for sure in Garret’s case whether their hands were tied or they dropped numerous balls. Probably a little of both. It’s a very difficult environment and I don’t see it getting better with legalization. JMO

Last edited:
Believe me, Lilibet, the situation has definitely not improved since you left. I feel pretty safe because I live in town, but I would never again live in the Emerald Triangle boondocks.

Last edited:
When I mentioned bungling legalization, I definitely had my home county of Mendocino in mind.

The following info consists of scraps I pieced together while following legalization efforts.

An ad hoc committee of two supervisors designed the county legalization procedure with no legal input from County Counsel or any other lawyer. Deliberations were interrupted by one of the committee members trundling off for a mental health stay that ended his political career. His replacement on the committee quit showing up for supervisory duties due to his mental health issues that ended his career also. The result reminds me of the old saw about a camel being a horse that was designed by a committee.

This is the result: Mendocino County provides update on cannabis applications – The Ukiah Daily Journal

With 38 permits approved and 454 still awaiting action, my trusty little calculator tells me the backlog should be dried up by 2031 or thereabouts.

And the overwhelming majority of growers are not applying. When they can read of an applicant publicly complaining to the Supes of spending $15K in futile pursuit of legality, and the Supes not even responding, they can read the writing on the wall.

And I am forced to repudiate my previous comment that HumCo has an average of a missing person per day. Most recent stats show it is double that.

Just viewed the Inside Edition clip above. Tremendously exaggerated, but absolutely correct on one thing. "It ain't no playground."

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
truecrime-hazeleyes
Back