Found Alive WI - Jayme Closs, 13, Barron, missing after parents found shot, 15 Oct 2018 *Arrest* #42

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who Is Jake Patterson? Alleged Jayme Closs Abductor Lived Under The Radar | HuffPost

Not to beat this into the ground, but the neighbors are named. They could just be wrong, of course.

"Patterson’s parents divorced in 2008, according to online court records. Neighbor DR<modsnip> told the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel that the parents moved away but that Patterson and his older brother, E<modsnip>, continued to stay in the cabin. She said she and her husband once caught them siphoning gas. Another neighbor, PO<modsnip>, told the Minneapolis Star Tribune that the brothers often got into trouble. She said they stole things and spent time in foster care."

Imagine being 11 years old and left on your own (with a not that much older teen brother)? If true, being left alone could have predicated being placed in foster care. EDIT to add: That would be especially true if they were getting into trouble.

That would make sense IMO.

Hmm, interesting admissions; but this is about someone else entirely, now known for unnatural actions. Perhaps, we try too hard to shove the pieces into the wrong place, and are rewarded with more puzzles.
Feels like this one would be known for another sort of shooting; somehow decided to make it a '2-for' and everyone is extremely lucky he didn't drag Jayme off into the abyss with him when he got tired of this.

Looks about time to petition for an MRI on the cretin, since nothing else has nailed JTP to the crazy cross. Wouldn't it be wonderful to have ALL the answers we want, he could get away on technicalities so his family can quit feeling so hurt and scared?

Hmmm.

BBM

I don't think any of us want him to get away with this-technicalities or not.

I keep seeing references to the "class photo" and how him sitting it out is an example of...something. Being anti social maybe?

To me, that is not a class photo. That looks like a bunch of kids from his grade were hanging out in the library and someone said, "Hey, let's take a picture" so they all grouped together. While it may technically be a picture of a bunch of his classmates, it doesn't look like any kind of official "class photo" I've ever seen. As both an avid reader and someone who actively disliked everyone in my graduating class, I would have rather sat there and continued reading my book, too.

I honestly don't think it's weird that he didn't seem to keep in touch with the people from his class. I think it's more strange when people don't move on and find new interests, friends, and opportunities outside of high school. To me, it's not weird that he didn't have many friends in his grade and that he didn't keep up them after school-it's that he never actually seemed to move at all. If he'd gained new friends, found himself a niche with like-minded people, etc. then that would make sense. But he didn't.

What I find fascinating about this crime is that there are very few things in his past that we've been able to analyze and definitively say, "Yeah, that's weird. That's a sign." There are no great smoking guns here.A few hot ones here and there, but not smoking. Lots of kids parents get divorced, people move off the grid, some people don't have cell phones (let alone smart phones), many people don't fit in with their high school, etc but they don't go on to become killers.

I am very interested in this guy's brain. Schizophrenia can be adult onset and is usually recognized in young men as they first reach adulthood. I am not implying that JP is schizophrenic (the majority of schizophrenics are not violent at all), but I DO wonder if some wires got crossed during puberty or shortly thereafter. An onset of something (I don't know what) that either wasn't there before or wasn't as pronounced. And then, along with a bunch of other things that would normally NOT affect a healthy person, a perfect storm of crazy was created.

Like this a lot...

From age 10 to 21 ... would be interesting to do complete mapout... we still don’t know a lot...and need more details and verified specifics..

Age 10 normal healthy?? Friends / wrestles
Age 11 / divorce quits wrestling begins withdrawal
Age 12 parents separate homes .. lives part time with both .. then full time with father or siblings

Age 13 to age 18. Dunno a large no of locked down specifics ... liked risk board game / video games hated social media...May or may not have liked roadkill .. alleged ex girlfriend was paid for story. Had a few friends and one that visited house and stayed over...

Age 18 exits marines for some reason.. or is told to leave... either health or mental..

Age 18 to 21 largely isolated 6/7 days week..drinks occasionally by himself smokes malborro... May play video games... likes military books

Age 21.. mom set to remarry mid November
Oct 13 should be visit with father..
oct 15th indifferently kills 2 people to kidnap their child... according to him.. he has no idea who lives there.. didn’t know her name or age.

.takes 6 shotgun shells to kill anyone in home .. even if 8 people he’s taking 6 to kill them..

90 days later she escapes.. he seems boostful or indifferent... neither upset or saddened.

Ok, so I was confused about the house due to the Daily Mail photo, which made it look like a two story house to me. Apparently that was the back door. I found a side view on the Deluth Tribune site, which shows what I first thought was the first floor as just an exposed basement at the back.

Agreed except that is the front door. The front door is in the finished basement.... above ground in the front, partially so in the back.

Yeah. I don't have the timeline in front of me and now I can't see it without paying, but it looked like at some point, he was living with his mother in Minong, for a while in middle school, I think, and then at another point, returned to the Gordon house, and at a third point, the father left. That's a lot of years of being shuffled around and then unsupervised.

Of course, lots of kids undergo similar shuffling in a divorce, but what jumps out to me are the years with no parent in the house, years when one would have been desperately needed. Not blame so much as an observation.

It's not my assumption. Neighbors said they were living there alone when they were teenagers, he and his brother who is 3 years older.
It was said that his father worked long hours, so he was often alone in the house. There is no verification that they were living alone without a parent when they were minors. I doubt that was the case, since it would have been pretty easy for the school to find out that a parent wasn't living in the home.
Maybe his older siblings had moved out by that time, and during his last few years of high school he spent a lot of time alone on the house.
Most sources say his dad moved out after he paid off the house, or around the time Patterson went to boot camp. At least by the time he finished high school, anyway. Imo

I also though do not see blood going west and Jim falling east at all except for perhaps a certain angle of shooting him perhaps?
Snipped by me

You make an excellent point, it's hard to see how Jim was shot through the door window, he fell to the east side, blood went west, and the cabinet and snowman behind looked clean (I know this was discussed to 'death' before, but that was before the complaint came out)

If you zoom in you can see the raised backsplashy bit with the control dials, which to me implies washer or, more likely, dryer, since it looks like a front loader. You can see the line delineating the horizontal top panel from the vertical side panels, and it doesn't show an airtight seal the way a chest freezer would, IMO. And of course a dryer would be on or near an outside wall, for the vent.

Ok everyone seems to love whatever is in the blue room being a washer and/or dryer. Which I agree it looks like. But in this basement view, you see what certainly appears to be a washer, beyond the furnace, which seems like a reasonable place for a laundry room. So, do we think there was an old washer in the basement (it appears they never threw anything out) and a laundry room upstairs? Or is the blue room something else? I was leaning toward bathroom with the thing on the wall being a large mirror, with a light above, and the uneven vertical line being a reflection of the shower curtain. But I can't explain the dark part above the (countertop?)
Note there is an old blue refrigerator/freezer in the garage. (Who has a light blue fridge??) But if the washer in the basement was a discard seems like it might have joined the fridge in the garage.

ETA picture of the basement view of a washer. Sorry.
8486718-6588161-A_number_of_coats_are_seen_hanging_from_hangers_on_the_wall_on_t-a-65_1547458917713.jpg

Last edited:
It was said that his father worked long hours, so he was often alone in the house. There is no verification that they were living alone without a parent when they were minors. I doubt that was the case, since it would have been pretty easy for the school to find out that a parent wasn't living in the home.
Maybe his older siblings had moved out by that time, and during his last few years of high school he spent a lot of time alone on the house.
Most sources say his dad moved out after he paid off the house, or around the time Patterson went to boot camp. At least by the time he finished high school, anyway. Imo

I disagree that it would be easy for the school to find out, but the long hours may have made it seem to neighbors like there wasn't a parent at home. I haven't seen a source saying when the father moved out, only that the brothers were/appeared to be alone.

Snipped by me

You make an excellent point, it's hard to see how Jim was shot through the door window, he fell to the east side, blood went west, and the cabinet and snowman behind looked clean (I know this was discussed to 'death' before, but that was before the complaint came out)

yes, it was discussed very much. as you said, before the complaint came out. i still am one that thinks they may have moved that cabinet, i know it would not be easy but every picture seems (probably intentionally) meant to hide what the public does not need knowledge of for investigative purposes. i am no expert but no matter how i think of it, shooting him through that window would imo hit a north wall or carpet or some such before something to the west. If he had not fallen east, that may not be the case and it would make sense but he fell east. yet we are led to believe it was one shot and he was down. i can't reconcile it no matter what. unless the kitchen table was to the west and most of us agree otherwise on that. it could be a typo and the direction wrong i guess...

i guess the other thing i have to remind myself is that complaint in no way means the perp's account is true or that LE even believes it all. to me, much of what he said was so in line with news reports and websites it was almost odd. i am not gunshot expert by a long shot but to me to hit a west wall, there was another shooter inside the house or the perp first shot through a window and was not at the door. we have no reason to think that whatsoever but again, his account is not necessarily true, it is just what he confessed to put in the complaint... i think he wants to be mr. quick, accurate and impressive, so maybe we don't have the entire truth...? hard to say.

Ok everyone seems to love whatever is in the blue room being a washer and/or dryer. Which I agree it looks like. But in this basement view, you see what certainly appears to be a washer, beyond the furnace, which seems like a reasonable place for a laundry room. So, do we think there was an old washer in the basement (it appears they never threw anything out) and a laundry room upstairs? Or is the blue room something else? I was leaning toward bathroom with the thing on the wall being a large mirror, with a light above, and the uneven vertical line being a reflection of the shower curtain. But I can't explain the dark part above the (countertop?)
Note there is an old blue refrigerator/freezer in the garage. (Who has a light blue fridge??) But if the washer in the basement was a discard seems like it might have joined the fridge in the garage.

I haven't zoomed on it, either I do not know how or can't. I at first thought it looked a bit short for any appliance or counter. I thought of even a mini frig. Then in relooking I thought it was high enough.

A couple of thoughts, it may not be common but there are homes that have laundry on each floor. I always wanted one was part of my dream home. Don't know that is likely though.

My first thought was a chest freezer--they come short, high, in all sizes and it made sense near the kitchen.

It also could be something that has not been ditched yet OR is an extra for when the basement one sh*ts the bed? I have had two for that reason before. First was fine but could not pass up a heck of a deal on a new one at auction...

Just thoughts... Probably doesn't matter to the case but gives us something to try to puzzle out...

"Neighbor DR<modsnip> told the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel that the parents moved away but that Patterson and his older brother, E<modsnip>, continued to stay in the cabin. She said she and her husband once caught them siphoning gas. Another neighbor, PO<modsnip>, told the Minneapolis Star Tribune that the brothers often got into trouble. She said they stole things and spent time in foster care."

The timeline said "The couple agrees to share physical custody every other week;" Elsewhere we had seen that the dad left for work at 4am and came home late. So it could be that the boys were largely unsupervised on the weekdays they were at dad's house. A neighbor could mistake dad being there only at night and weekends as him having moved out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam