Croatia - Britt Lapthorne, 21, Aussie backpacker, Dubrovnik, 18 Sept 2008

Why does no one still ask about Britt? Why not her, when we ask for others...

I just listened to that podcast- I find it far more than a coincidence that the CCTV in both the club AND at the memorial across the street were not working/something destroyed the footage. Too convenient!

This case has stayed in the back of my mind all these years because she was the same age as me, I had been travelling overseas at the same time and had been home for a month when it happened.

In the podcast it said that the autopsy report in Victoria found no alcohol or drugs in the tissue. I'm wondering if alcohol is detectable in tissue (and if it would have been dissipated by the decomposition process) OR if she had been alive long enough after being at the club for her body to have processed it.

I noted the comment about missing major organs and wondered if perhaps there was organ trafficking involved (perhaps removal sped up the rate at which bacteria was able to decompose the remains?).

Finding her camera and wallet may be key- maybe photos that have the person/s involved on it (maybe date or time stamped, definitely time stamped in the file itself).

Another point--her mobile phone was found in the hostel room, so did she just not take it when she went out (and who made the phonecall at 2.30am)...

I just listened to the Casefile podcast. I also was interested in the report about the alleged call on the mobile phone. There's been no follow-up on the issue, after it was reported in the media in the early days of the investigation.

The information appears to have come from the hostel owner, when speaking to a reporter about his son being held and interrogated.

https://www.smh.com.au/national/britts-disappearance-not-reported-for-two-days-20081002-4s6l.html

So whatever facts the police have about calls from the phone, haven't been directly revealed to the media. Instead, a reporter was trying to interpret a comment from a distraught local, who was trying to interpret a comment from his son, who was trying to interpret a question from police, who were likely trying to catch him out and elicit a confession, possibly by lying to him.

So even worse than telephone tag, I don't believe anything about the phone can be considered proven through this flow of information, except that it was found in the hostel, as only her wallet and camera are listed as missing.

I agree with the Australian coroner that nothing can be done by officials, at this stage, to figure out what happened to her.

Unfortunately, there are similar cases, past and present, all over the world, including in people's hometowns. I believe that young women (and men, and older men and women) do risky things all the time, but the people around them normally help them by, for eg., making sure they get home safe. I've done that myself, several times, even had young female strangers sleep on my couch twice because they were too confused or drunk to tell me where they lived. But, every so often, someone isn't so lucky.

I also think that parents and older brothers experience enormous guilt when a young woman dies in that way, and it's almost unbearable for them to acknowledge that they weren't there to save them. So they project that guilt onto others, especially an easy target like a foreign police force.

My own thoughts are, if there's any blame to be laid, it only belongs to an individual who caused the death of the victim, or failed to report what they knew.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laayla
Back