Found Deceased Channel Islands - Emiliano Sala 28, pilot David Ibbotson, 60, missing plane, Alderney, 21 Jan 2019

Emiliano Sala missing plane: What we now know and the unanswered questions

[...]

A statement from the Air Accidents Investigation Branch confirmed it was investigating the loss of the aircraft, in accordance with international protocols.

They said: "Since Tuesday morning, we have been working closely with international authorities including the US National Transportation Safety Board, the Bureau d'Enquetes & d'Analyses (BEA) in France and the Junta de Investigacion de Accidentes de Aviacion Civil (JIACC) in Argentina.

"We will be gathering all the available evidence to conduct a thorough investigation. However, if the aircraft is not found it is likely to limit the scope of the investigation."

A statement from plane manufacturer issued today Piper said it had been officially notified of the missing aircraft and will assist the local and U.S. government agencies as required, saying it was unable to comment further at this time.

[...]

Thank you for your reply- if the pilot froze up and was concentrating - woulf Emiliano of been able to have wifi or a way to atleast whatsapp? Perhaps he was so scared he didnt even want to text?
I kept reading that the plane had a life raft but maybe its just something they are saying ... You keep seeing them on a life raft as possible scenarios so I was assuming for sure it had one.
How come if a plane breaks up all mangled that those pieces wont show up?
Can a plane hit the sea - a small one and just go under water and sink with nothing showing ? If there wasnt an oil slick what do you think happened or was there not an oil slick because the sea was rough? I am just having so much trouble with them not finding a trace - I know the Maylasia plane was gone without a trace for years but this one seems more like they have the area pretty much nailed down - with the Maylasia flight they really had no clue how far off it flew - this plane couldnt of gone far so why why why cant they find it ?????
Im sure my ignorance of aviation knowledge is showing :) Im not a huge soccer fan and I never heard of Emiliano before but this is just so tragic and disturbing!
Yes, they can just sink and there's no evidence on the surface. There was a video last year or so if a plane that his the ocean and it was just GONE. Mangled pieces still sink. Once in a while, you might find a life vest on the surface. There are actually quite a few aircraft that disappear over water that aren't found. List of missing aircraft - Wikipedia

I believe the plane belongs to the owner of Cardiff City Football Club, which would explain why Emiliano was travelling on that particular flight on Monday evening.
The actual owner is unknown. It‘s registered via a trustee.

Emiliano Sala missing plane: What we now know and the unanswered questions
The aircraft's registered owner is "Southern Aircraft Consultancy inc Trustee", based in Norfolk.

On its website, they advertise offering non-US citizens the ability to legally register their aircraft in the US, when US law says all aircraft must be registered to a US citizen or corporation.

Southern Aircraft then holds the plane in trust for the real owner, and does not pass on information about the owners to the public.

And then:
We have no official confirmation of who made the travel arrangements, but we have had a categorical statement from Cardiff City today which said the club was not involved in organising the private plane.

From The Sun today:

Speaking in Rosario, Argentina, Sala’s mum Mercedes said: “The plane is from the president of Cardiff. They informed us the plane had disappeared and they were looking for it.”

I took it from this report that the plane belonged to the club's owner.
OK, now that’s some conflicting information if the club said they were not involved. o_O

Yes, they can just sink and there's no evidence on the surface. There was a video last year or so if a plane that his the ocean and it was just GONE. Mangled pieces still sink. Once in a while, you might find a life vest on the surface. There are actually quite a few aircraft that disappear over water that aren't found. List of missing aircraft - Wikipedia

So disturbing !!!!

I guess I skip and wait for the BBC then! :p

BBC News this morning:

The Air Accidents Investigation Branch (AAIB) said a PA-46-310P Malibu aircraft, registered in the United States, had a pilot and one passenger on board when it vanished. It has begun an investigation, working with counterparts in the US, France and Argentina. A spokesman said: "We will be gathering all the available evidence to conduct a thorough investigation. However, if the aircraft is not found it is likely to limit the scope of the investigation."

The plane is owned by Southern Aircraft Consultancy Inc Trustee, in Bungay, Suffolk, according to the US Federal Aviation Administration database. The company told the BBC it was the trustee of the plane but not its ultimate owner.

And this:

Football agent Mark McKay has confirmed he was involved in the travel arrangements for Sala.

He told Sky Sports News: "I can confirm that when Emiliano made myself and his agent Meissa N'Diaye aware that he wished to travel back to Nantes following his medical and signing on Friday, I began to look into arranging a private flight to take him to Nantes on Saturday morning.

"I have been in contact with officials from Cardiff and the player's agent over these difficult past few days and will continue to do so."

So a football agent was involved in the travel arrangements for Emiliano but we still don't know who actually owns the plane.

BBC News this morning:

The Air Accidents Investigation Branch (AAIB) said a PA-46-310P Malibu aircraft, registered in the United States, had a pilot and one passenger on board when it vanished. It has begun an investigation, working with counterparts in the US, France and Argentina. A spokesman said: "We will be gathering all the available evidence to conduct a thorough investigation. However, if the aircraft is not found it is likely to limit the scope of the investigation."

The plane is owned by Southern Aircraft Consultancy Inc Trustee, in Bungay, Suffolk, according to the US Federal Aviation Administration database. The company told the BBC it was the trustee of the plane but not its ultimate owner.

And this:

Football agent Mark McKay has confirmed he was involved in the travel arrangements for Sala.

He told Sky Sports News: "I can confirm that when Emiliano made myself and his agent Meissa N'Diaye aware that he wished to travel back to Nantes following his medical and signing on Friday, I began to look into arranging a private flight to take him to Nantes on Saturday morning.

"I have been in contact with officials from Cardiff and the player's agent over these difficult past few days and will continue to do so."

So a football agent was involved in the travel arrangements for Emiliano but we still don't know who actually owns the plane.
Thanks for the update! :)

McKay worked on the deal:
A profile of agent Mark McKay and his relationship with Sala
The relationship with Sala

N'Diaye is a renowned French agent who represents stars such as Benjamin Mendy, Michy Batshuayi, as well as Cardiff's Sol Bamb. He worked with Sala and McKay on the £15m Bluebirds record deal.
And:
McKay said he knew Sala well, though was keen to reiterate the plane carrying the striker and pilot Mr Ibbotson was not owned by his famiily. The 32-year-old appears to have deactivated his Twitter account since the tragic incident.

"I wish to make clear that despite media reports today, the plane involved in this terrible episode was not owned in any way or part by either myself or any member of my family," he said.

This is from the Mirror but it is pretty intersting that they are saying ice on wings could of made the plane freeze up and hit the water in one piece

- Emiliano Sala plane 'could have been brought down by deadly ice on wings'
The term “freeze up” is sort of generic. It’s not like the controls don’t work, but rather ice on the airframe changes the way the wings produce “lift” to keep the aircraft in the air.

Students of physics and aerodynamics are taught that airplanes fly as a result of Bernoulli's principle, which says that if air speeds up the pressure is lowered. Thus a wing generates lift because the air goes faster over the top creating a region of low pressure, and thus lift. This explanation usually satisfies the curious and few challenge the conclusions. Some may wonder why the air goes faster over the top of the wing and this is where the popular explanation of lift falls apart but that is not for this forum but rather if you’re stuck with me in a bar with a pitcher of beer.

In the wintertime clouds are made up of small water droplets where the water temperature can be as low as negative 40 degrees C. Here comes this plane flying through the cloud, and the water droplets impact the airplane and then freeze because now they have a surface to freeze on. Ice builds up in flight on the frontal surfaces: leading edge of the wings, the nose and the tail surfaces. There are systems to prevent ice or to remove ice. The de-icing system works on the basis of allowing ice to form before being broken off [using pneumatic boots that inflate to crack the ice which this model of airplane has. But in serious icing it can’t keep up with the ice, it’s really designed to just get you OUT of icing conditions and not for prolonged flight into heavy ice.

Ice typically builds up when tiny cloud droplets impact and freeze on the leading edges, or front surfaces, of the plane. Ice reshapes the surface of the lift-producing parts of the airplane: the wings and the tail. That roughness is enough to change the aerodynamics of the wing such that there's more drag and less lift. If you get enough ice on the wings and the tail, the wing quits producing lift, the plane goes into an aerodynamic stall and it comes straight down.

Guernsey Police

24th January

3.15pm update

Update from Harbour Master Captain David Barker

"My team have just met to review the search and rescue operation which has been underway since the plane disappeared on Monday night.

Despite the best efforts of air and search assets from the Channel Islands, UK and France, which has covered an area of approximately 1,700sq. miles – with a significant amount of this searched more than once – and having examined mobile phone data and satellite imagery, we have been unable to find any trace of the aircraft, the pilot or the passenger.

There has been over 24 hours of continuous searching, with 80 hours combined flying time across three planes and five helicopters. Two lifeboats have also been involved, as well as assistance from various passing ships and fishing boats.

We reviewed all the information available to us, as well as knowing what emergency equipment was on board, and have taken the difficult decision to end the search.

The chances of survival at this stage are extremely remote.

Next of kin have been informed of this development, and my thoughts go out to the family of the pilot and passenger at this most difficult of times.

This has been a very thorough and extensive search, co-ordinated from the Guernsey-based Joint Emergency Services Control Centre and has seen exemplary co-operation from all countries involved, for which I would like to extend my personal thanks.

The final aircraft searching for the missing plane and those on board has now landed. Although we are no longer actively searching, the incident remains open and we will be broadcasting to all vessels and aircraft in the area to keep a look out for any trace of the aircraft. This will continue indefinitely."

Unless there is a significant development, there will be no further updates.

1.20pm update

The island of Burhou has been searched by foot. No trace of the aircraft or those on board has been found.

Further information will be released once it is available.

10.50am update

The search is ongoing and a decision about continuing will be made once all assets have completed this morning’s search pattern.

Information will be released once available

7.50am update

We are commencing a coastal search using the Channel Islands Air Search plane of Burhou, the Casquets, Alderney, the north coast of the Cherbourg Peninsula, north coast of Jersey and then back over Sark.

Further information will be released as it becomes available

Guernsey Police on Twitter
Guernsey Police‏ @GuernseyPolice 9h9 hours ago
24th January 7.50am update. We are commencing a coastal search using be Channel Islands Air Search plane of Burhou, the Casquets, Alderney, the north coast of the Cherbourg Peninsula, north coast of Jersey and then back over Sark. Further information released when available

Guernsey Police‏ @GuernseyPolice 6h6 hours ago
10.50am update The search is ongoing and a decision about continuing will be made once all assets have completed this morning’s search pattern.
Information will be released once available

Guernsey Police‏ @GuernseyPolice 4h4 hours ago
1.20pm update The island of Burhou has been searched by foot. No trace of the aircraft or those on board has been found.
Further information will be released once it is available.

Guernsey Police‏ @GuernseyPolice 2h2 hours ago
3.15pm Update. Please read the attached statement. Unless there is a significant development, there will be no further updates

Dxr4GrdVAAAuntV.jpg

61 replies234 retweets333 likes

In the US most planes that are owned by a corporation are under an LLC (Limited Liability Corporation), most of which are in a state in the Northeast that caters to such accounts. Even searching the FAA Records through FOIA the actual names of the owners are simply a handwritten signature on the paperwork, and if you can't READ the signature you have no idea who really owns the plane as the paperwork doesn't require the owner's name be typed in. I imagine it's the same or worse in the UK. It's all designed to make it harder to sue someone in my opinion.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back