Found Deceased MI - Dean Estupigan, 25, hiker, vehicle found in northern mountains, Marquette Co., 24 Jan 2019

cybervampira

Reaction score
MISSING: 25-year-old Dean Estupigan missing in Marquette County

A hiker is missing in northern Marquette County Friday night.

According to Marquette County Sheriff Greg Zyburt, 25-year-old Dean Carlo Estupigan went missing Thursday afternoon after going for a hike toward by County Road 510 near the Yellow Dog River.

He was reported missing to the sheriff's office on Friday.

Crews are now searching for him, but Estupigan's vehicle was discovered in the northern mountains of Marquette County.

upload_2019-1-26_1-41-6.jpeg

WJMN Local 3

Marquette County Search and Rescue is looking for a missing hiker. 25-year-old Dean Carlo Estupigan, a NMU student went hiking yesterday afternoon and has not returned. His vehicle was found today on County Road 510 by the Yellow Dog River. If you have any information call the Marquette County Sheriffs Office.

current Upper Peninsula weather: WLUC | Upper Michigan News, Weather, and Sports | WLUC - Weather

"Our weekend weather pattern remains bitter cold & snowy, especially over much of the Keweenaw Peninsula & near the Superior shoreline east of Marquette. Frostbite, hypothermia and other cold weather illnesses can occur within 30 minutes under similar conditions. Please remember to wear layers, hats & gloves to limit your exposed skin and limit your time outdoors if possible.

Remember to ensure pets and other animals have what they need to stay warm & hydrated

Today: Lake effect snow continues in the northwesterly wind belts, especially east of Marquette. Plus, bitterly cold conditions
Highs: zero to 5 below west, single numbers east
Wind Chills range 10 below to 30 below

Tonight: Occasional snow showers linger mainly over portions of the Keweenaw Peninsula. Elsewhere, partly cloudy to mainly clear & cold weather prevails.
Lows: 18 below west to 4 below east
Wind Chill values range 26 below west to 7 below east

Saturday: Leftover Keweenaw snows taper off into the afternoon with dry, continued cold weather elsewhere. Latest clipper arrives by late-afternoon with renewed snow chances.
Highs: Struggle to reach into the single digits above zero.
Wind Chill values range 8 below to 24 below" :(

MISSING: 25-year-old Dean Estupigan missing in Marquette County

A hiker is missing in northern Marquette County Friday night.

According to Marquette County Sheriff Greg Zyburt, 25-year-old Dean Carlo Estupigan went missing Thursday afternoon after going for a hike toward by County Road 510 near the Yellow Dog River.

He was reported missing to the sheriff's office on Friday.

Crews are now searching for him, but Estupigan's vehicle was discovered in the northern mountains of Marquette County.

View attachment 165910
From the article (BBM).

"The roommate said that Estupigan went hiking to take photographs of the falls. When Estupigan did not return, the roommate went searching and found his Subaru Crosstrek in the Yellow Dog parking lot."

Yellow Dog River Falls is near County Road 510: Google Maps

If you zoom in on 510 where it crosses Yellow Dog River you should see the parking lot (blue "x" on the first screenshot below).
Yellow Dog River Falls Red Parking area blue.jpg Parking area.png

Are there any locals here who can confirm this is the correct location?

Slight hope, despite the harsh weather, as it looks like he was definitely used to being outside in those kind of conditions.

Some stunning photos on his Insta, and you can really see him getting more skilled over time.

Man he’s very talented. I’m so nervous for him. If he was going to shoot the “falls” I wonder if he may have slipped? I hope he hurt an ankle and is close to being found. Sending good vibes, Dean.

Hopefully, he’s just injured. The weather conditions has been brutally cold. He may have found somewhere to burrow into until help comes or figure out a way to get out himself. I hope he’s found soon. JMO, of course.

Search continues for missing NMU student

Police in the Upper Peninsula are searching for a Northern Michigan University student who went missing on a hiking trip to photograph waterfalls.

The search for 25-year-old Guiancarlo Estupigan was suspended Friday evening but was set to resume Saturday in Marquette County's Ishpeming Township.

WLUC-TV reports that Estupigan's roommate told the county sheriff's office that he left Thursday afternoon for a hike near the Yellow Dog River to take photographs of waterfalls.

[...]

Man he’s very talented. I’m so nervous for him. If he was going to shoot the “falls” I wonder if he may have slipped? I hope he hurt an ankle and is close to being found. Sending good vibes, Dean.
If Niagara Falls have recently frozen over, I think these falls may have also. Wanting to photograph them would be desirable to him. But it definitely makes the hike out seem as if it would be treacherous.

I'm very worried about this young man. Temperatures in that area topped out around 20 degrees on Thursday. And it was even colder over the weekend. I imagine icy rocks can be extremely slippery. He could have injured himself or could have fallen into water. Immobility or wet clothing in those temperatures would be a serious problem.

The Distance between
The Falls at County Road 510 near the Yellow Dog River
And
The Northern Mountains of Marquette County

9 h 31 min (28.9 miles) Walk
56 min (29.5 miles) Drive

324 Co Rd 480 to Ishpeming Township, MI 49855 - Google Maps

So “the falls” is a specific place that is commonly referred to in local nomenclature? If the closest waterfall to where his car was found is 9 hours via foot, that is very troubling. It’s so cold. I hope he’s hanging tight bustled in somewhere.

So “the falls” is a specific place that is commonly referred to in local nomenclature? If the closest waterfall to where his car was found is 9 hours via foot, that is very troubling. It’s so cold. I hope he’s hanging tight bustled in somewhere.
Yellow Dog Falls

From county road 510, there is a trail from a parking area. The main falls are about a mile east of that.

Not sure where the 9 miles distance is calculated from but it’s definitely not so far as that.

Found deceased :(

Estupigan, a fish and wildlife major, had gone to the area of the river near County Road 510 on Thursday after telling his roommate he planned to go hiking and take pictures of some of the area’s waterfalls.

Authorities believe the young man became lost and disoriented when a snow storm hit that area later Thursday, according to the TV station. His body was found about 300 feet from a road.

An autopsy is planned.

Missing NMU student found dead 300 feet from road

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
galesr