Australia Australia - Andrew Vincent Kearney, 17, Charles street, Glen Iris, Victoria. 21 Aug 1981

benjimack

Reaction score
FMQMVHv
Andrew Kearney left his home on the morning of August 21st 1981 carrying a large rectangular wooden box that he kept radio aerials in.
He was supposed to attend a doctor appointment about 30 minutes away but never arrived.
He has not been seen or heard from since.

Andrew is my Mother’s cousin.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• F7684479-CEEF-4153-B278-34A75F5B72B9.jpeg
    F7684479-CEEF-4153-B278-34A75F5B72B9.jpeg
    89.2 KB · Views: 11
Hi Benji. Was Andrew ever reported to police as a missing person? I can’t find any information about Andrew via a web search or on the National Missing Persons Coordination Centre’s website. He’s also not listed as a missing person on the Victorian Police website. It might be an idea to get in touch with the police regarding Andrew’s disappearance.

Hi Benji. Was Andrew ever reported to police as a missing person? I can’t find any information about Andrew via a web search or on the National Missing Persons Coordination Centre’s website. He’s also not listed as a missing person on the Victorian Police website. It might be an idea to get in touch with the police regarding Andrew’s disappearance.
Thanks for the reply.
I’m in contact with the detective who is handling the case.
Am I able to post a PDF of the press articles that have been published over the years?
There is basically nothing on the internet about the case.

Thanks for the reply.
I’m in contact with the detective who is handling the case.
Am I able to post a PDF of the press articles that have been published over the years?
There is basically nothing on the internet about the case.
[BBM.] I’m sure copies of MSM articles about Andrew’s disappearance are OK to post as long as the sources and the dates of the articles are quoted.

It’s been a long time since Andrew disappeared so it’s not surprising that there’s not much on the internet.

Here is a MSM article about the case from a well know, and still active, crime writer in Melbourne, Australia.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-01-28 at 7.13.02 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2019-01-28 at 7.13.02 pm.png
    717.9 KB · Views: 28
Here is a MSM article about the case from a well know, and still active, crime writer in Melbourne, Australia.
Mr Rule is quite a famous crime writer now. Maybe you could contact him, attaching a copy of his article, and ask if he might do a follow up story about Andrew’s disappearance.

I wonder why Andrew isn’t listed as a missing person anywhere, ie; on the VICPOL or NMPCC websites. Is it possible to ask the detective who is handling Andrew’s case about the omission? Also the Australian Missing Persons Register may be a good resource:

Australian Missing Persons Register

Mr Rule is quite a famous crime writer now. Maybe you could contact him, attaching a copy of his article, and ask if he might do a follow up story about Andrew’s disappearance.

I wonder why Andrew isn’t listed as a missing person anywhere, ie; on the VICPOL or NMPCC websites. Is it possible to ask the detective who is handling Andrew’s case about the omission? Also the Australian Missing Persons Register may be a good resource:

Australian Missing Persons Register

I've reached out to Andrew Rule through the crime editor of the Herald Sun newspaper. I'm awaiting reply.

The detective hasn't told me why the case isn't listed anymore. He has referred to it as a cold case, but I don't know whether that designation carries any official procedural differences to a normal open investigation.
The Australian Missing Persons Register seems to have much too few cases listed for it to be considered comprehensive.

I know that it is still very raw for Andrew's father, even after all these years. His mother passed away about 3 years ago. They never moved house just in case he ever returned.

I've reached out to Andrew Rule through the crime editor of the Herald Sun newspaper. I'm awaiting reply.

The detective hasn't told me why the case isn't listed anymore. He has referred to it as a cold case, but I don't know whether that designation carries any official procedural differences to a normal open investigation.
The Australian Missing Persons Register seems to have much too few cases listed for it to be considered comprehensive.

I know that it is still very raw for Andrew's father, even after all these years. His mother passed away about 3 years ago. They never moved house just in case he ever returned.
I’m glad you’ve reached out to Andrew Rule and to police. How do you think we might be able to help?

I am so sorry that Andrew’s family has been without answers for so long; especially his parents. It’s heartbreaking to have a family member go missing.

I'm not really sure what I hope to gain by posting on this site, but it surely can't hurt to have more people informed and aware of the case.
Somebody knows something.
Well at least Andrew now has an internet presence. It still bothers me that he is not listed on either the VICPOL or AFP (NMPCC) websites. Cold case or not, Andrew is still a missing person.

Not that I know of.
They did hire a private investigator though. Unfortunately that private investigator (David Lentin) passed away in 2008.
I read that in the article you posted. Did Andrew’s parents keep the PIs reports? Honestly, benji, I think contacting Lauren at the AMPR might help. Lauren’s brother was a missing person (who was unfortunately found deceased) so she has experience navigating this area. She may have some suggestions that could help you and Andrew’s father get things moving if, of course, that’s what you’d both like to do.

Last edited:
I read that in the article you posted. Did Andrew’s parents keep the PIs reports? Honestly, benji, I think contacting Lauren at the AMPR might help. Lauren’s brother was a missing person, who was unfortunately found deceased) so she has experience navigating this area. She may have some suggestions that could help you and Andrew’s father get things moving if, of course, that’s what you’d both like to do.
I will reach out. Thank you for the advice.

I suppose this is no connection. The Age Newspaper Melbourne article from 1984?
I can't access the article but a google snippet says.

The Age from Melbourne, Victoria on July 17, 1984 · Page 10

Jul 17, 1984 - ... In November 1981, Quentin Rowley, who had gone to the same school as Andrew Kearney for five years, boarded a train at Holmesglen.
Yes, this is the same case.
I have a copy of this article.
It talks about the alleged sighting of Andrew by a former school colleague approximately 3 months after he disappeared. Unfortunately the sighting wasn’t able to be investigated because it wasn’t reported until weeks later due to the person not realising that Andrew was still missing.

I suppose this is no connection. The Age Newspaper Melbourne article from 1984?
I can't access the article but a google snippet says.

The Age from Melbourne, Victoria on July 17, 1984 · Page 10

Jul 17, 1984 - ... In November 1981, Quentin Rowley, who had gone to the same school as Andrew Kearney for five years, boarded a train at Holmesglen.
It’s about an alleged sighting of Andrew by Quentin. Benji posted a copy of the article here:

Australia - Andrew Vincent Kearney, 17, Charles street, Glen Iris, Victoria. 21 Aug 1981

Ok thanks, I was just about to post that it looks like the same photo in the article.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam
Back