GUILTY TX - Kilgore, 'Lavender Doe' WhtFem 483UFTX, 17-25, in woods, burned, Oct'06 - Dana Dodd

Any new updates on Lavender Doe?

Not that I’ve seen since they said her case was a “medium” on the toughness scale. They’re so swamped with their case load right now, I figure we should give them some space and let them give us updates when they’re ready. Hopefully they’ll let us know ASAP whenever they have some interesting news because it’s tough being patient! I wish there was more we could do to help.

I'm sorry if this is slightly off-topic.
The DDP posted "November has also seen real progress on some of our cases. We hope to share some exciting news as soon as we are allowed to. Legal confirmation of identity takes time, particularly when agencies have to be concerned about the ensuing homicide investigations. So thanks for your patience and support, and stay tuned!!"

I think it means that they've solved some cases, doesn't it? I really hope Lavender Doe is on that list!

EXCLUSIVE: New DNA Technology could help close local cold case

(DNA Doe Project) may be closer to giving "Lavender Doe" her name back, sooner than they expected.

"Hard at work following every lead that we can, looking at her DNA matches and building out family trees, and we've come across some good leads and we're definitely hopeful for a positive resolution to her case soon"

Well, we've been told Sheep Flats Jane Doe is solved but being kept confidential because of the homicide investigation, so "investigations" would seem to imply there are others. So hopeful! :D

Hasn't Lavender's killer already confessed to her murder? I suppose that doesn't preclude an ongoing investigation, though.

There was a discussion about isotopes earlier on, and I don't think this small passage was posted:

19th century Canterbury couple could help solve US body mystery

"Isotope analysis announced in 2017 suggested Annie Doe most likely came from the northeast corner of the US, but Fitzpatrick said that finding was ambiguous, with similar results likely from other places in the world."

It will be fascinating to see if there are areas that are isotopically (is that a word?) similar to the results Annie got in NZ or England.

From DNA Doe Project's Facebook page:

The DNA Doe Project has made an identification in the case of Lavender Doe. The young woman was discovered on October 29, 2006 in Kilgore, TX. Since July 2018, the DNA Doe Project has been working closely with the Gregg County Sheriff's Office, TX (GCSO) on this case. At the request of the GCSO no further details will be released at this time due to the open nature of her case and pending trial.

We thank Lt. Eddie Hope, Ret. Lt. Kirk Haddix and the rest of the GCSO for their tireless efforts to identify her, and entrusting us with assisting in her case. We also wish to thank the National Center for Missing & Exploited Children(NCMEC) and the National Missing & Unidentified Persons System (NamUs) for their assistance and support during the course of this project.

We also acknowledge Fulgent Genetics for the lab work, and Justin Loe of Full Genomes Corporation, Inc., and our bioinformatics expert Dr. Greg Magoon of Aerodyne Research, Inc. Our gratitude, too, to a number of DNA matches for their generous cooperation. Special thanks to Carl Koppelman for his facial approximation. Also, to all those of you who graciously sent in donations for the testing costs, we could not have done it without you.

Above all, thank you to our wonderful team of dedicated DDP volunteers.

Our condolences go out to Lavender Doe's family.

Once again congratulations to our lovely DDP members and a big shoutout to CarlK for the massive effort and the hours they've put in into giving back our Does their names :)

May she rest in peace in heaven.

Seems like 2019 will be the year where a lot of our currently unidentified victims will finally be reunited with their families and laid to rest.

I’d guess sometime in February.

Burnette's next court date ("status hearing") is 2/6/19, but it's already been moved a couple of times. Not clear when the trial will even start, let alone when it will conclude. It's possible that he could take a plea deal, but I don't know enough about the state's case to know if that's likely or would be in his interest to accept. If they really do have his DNA, that might increase the odds that he pleads guilty. I would imagine the death penalty would be on the table without a plea deal.

Her name will not be released until the trial of her killer is completed.

Is Burnette going to have any defense at all? (I know he confessed, but there’s a vast number of cases where a lawyer then moves in and claims that the confession was fantasizing, was made under duress, etc.)

So, if he does have any sort of a defense, how could her name possibly not be released? The defense is going to argue SODDI. The prosecution is going to have to show that they investigated the case. How can it possibly be preferable to convict someone of the murder of a nameless person? And then, after the sentence, say: “oh, by the way, she was ...”

What am I missing?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FrnkKrcher
Back