Found Alive WI - Jayme Closs, 13, Barron, missing after parents found shot, 15 Oct 2018 *Arrest* #43

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is really hard reading the court documents about the attack I still can’t begin to imagine the horror of what happened.

I don’t know where they expect to get a fair trial when the case even made the news websites here in the U.K. I hope he takes a plea of LWOP.

It is really hard reading the court documents about the attack I still can’t begin to imagine the horror of what happened.

I don’t know where they expect to get a fair trial when the case even made the news websites here in the U.K. I hope he takes a plea of LWOP.

I actually was just re-reading the criminal complaint. It is funny how you can read it several times and each time take more away from it. One of the things I just read with regard to the twin bed that Jake would keep Jayme under while he was gone or "entertaining" is that he described the twin bed as being about two and a half feet off the floor. Sadly, that made me feel better as my children's twin beds were not more than probably 10 to 12 inches off the ground so at least she had more space than what I have been thinking or envisioning.

As far as a fair trial....I think it will be very fair. Jake opened his mouth and willingly confessed and described "in his detail" how he executed his crime - "fair is fair". I hope everyone of his words to detectives is used against him and that is nobody's fault but his own.

I actually was just re-reading the criminal complaint. It is funny how you can read it several times and each time take more away from it. One of the things I just read with regard to the twin bed that Jake would keep Jayme under while he was gone or "entertaining" is that he described the twin bed as being about two and a half feet off the floor. Sadly, that made me feel better as my children's twin beds were not more than probably 10 to 12 inches off the ground so at least she had more space than what I have been thinking or envisioning.

As far as a fair trial....I think it will be very fair. Jake opened his mouth and willingly confessed and described "in his detail" how he executed his crime - "fair is fair". I hope everyone of his words to detectives is used against him and that is nobody's fault but his own.

I totally agree with your comments about the fairness of the trial. As you said, the suspect admitted to his crimes, in great detail.

IMO, he was not under duress. He was not having a mental breakdown. He was willingly sharing the gory details, almost as if he was bragging.

To me, a trial is potentially unfair if everyone already believes the suspect is guilty, but there is no evidence to absolutely support that belief. If people assume someone is guilty because they have prior arrests or face tattoos or were in the wrong place at the wrong time, then that is potentially an unfair trial.

But in this case, people are thinking the defendant is guilty because there were several credible witnesses who saw the kidnapping victim running from his home, scared, malnourished and disheveled. And then he confessed.

So OBVIOUSLY people are going to think he is guilty of the crime. That doesn't mean he can't get a fair trial. If he is innocent, he can explain why she was running through his back yard in his tennis shoes and straighten it all out.

Last edited:
I don’t get why the media keep running with house of horrors and being kept in a basement. I haven’t read all the police reports but I don’t recall JP or JC ever saying anything about the basement. Did I miss it? She possibly never even saw the basement. It’s not like if it was in the basement it makes the crimes any
Worse being held against your will is bad enough period.

This,along with the house being described as a "squalor" actually made me angry. It's as if the media believes that the crime wasn't bad enough and therefore had to embellish or make things up to make it "worse". So I totally agree with you. Whether she was held in a basement or held in a McMansion really doesn't matter-she watched her parents die and was kidnapped. It's already as bad as it can get.

For those that want to financially help Jamey, send her a check or postal money order to the Rice Lake PO Box set up for well wishers wanting to send her cards and gifts. Address has been posted on these threads.

Not all 's are legit and the site takes a cut of your donation.

We also bought extra Hormel products to show our approval for their correct decision to award their portion of the reward money to Jayme.

For those that want to financially help Jamey, send her a check or postal money order to the Rice Lake PO Box set up for well wishers wanting to send her cards and gifts. Address has been posted on these threads.

Not all ********'s are legit and the site takes a cut of your donation.

We also bought extra Hormel products to show our approval for their correct decision to award their portion of the reward money to Jayme.

I agree. If you're going to donate, going as close to the source as possible is the best way. With our rescue program we've used that other website and the cut they take can be quite significant if the amount donated is very much. On the plus side, they do offer a bit of protection to donators and can issue refunds.

I doubt they will have to move the trial or if they do, it won't be far. The case has made national news, but most people are barely aware of it, except for us at WS.

I don’t get why the media keep running with house of horrors and being kept in a basement. I haven’t read all the police reports but I don’t recall JP or JC ever saying anything about the basement. Did I miss it? She possibly never even saw the basement. It’s not like if it was in the basement it makes the crimes any
Worse being held against your will is bad enough period.

It's mainly Daily Mail that keeps running with that. While I guess they do count as "media", they are one of the more questionable sources out there. They pay for stories. They get it right sometimes, but are known for sensationalist coverage. Much less reputable than other media.

Jayme Closs family gives update on the Barron teen

Anyone see this? It was good to hear she was laughing with friends. Keep praying for her and her fam ❤️
Good that she is seeing friends. A step forward to some normalcy for her. Big steps will be returning to school and dance. Suspect tutoring for awhile to bring her up to date with her class before school return.

LE will probably be with her for awhile to restrain media encroachment.

Edited for word choice.

Last edited:
Good that she is seeing friends. A step forward to some normalcy for her. Big steps will be returning to school and dance. Suspect tutoring for awhile to bring her up to date with her class before school return.

LE will probably be with her for awhile to restrain media encroachment.

Edited for word choice.

Yes, it is good to see her laughing with Friends. She has a long road to healing, but with the help of her Family and Friends, she will get through it.

I'm very grateful that she escaped before the sub-zero temps hit the Midwest!

Good insight into the decision not to charge JP with further crimes. It bodes well for the strength of their case, but we already knew that.

You look at the seriousness of what you’re initially going to charge and you weigh it against the continued trauma to a young victim…and you make a decision," said Joe DeCecco, a former district attorney in Sheboygan County.

Sometimes it's not possible to spare a crime victim from trial proceedings, DeCecco said, but it can be done if the case is strong enough to get a conviction without that testimony. And prosecutors will do what they can to be sensitive to the needs of a child or vulnerable crime victim.

DeCecco said it's also important to consider the wishes of the victim and the victim's family, because sharing their story in court can be difficult.”

Decision not to charge Jake Patterson in Douglas County aims to spare Jayme Closs more trauma

What makes me sad about the DA's wording is that it appears some kind of sexual assault did happen. I'm sure most people assumed there was, but if he had just said, we're not pressing any further charges, period, people would never really know for sure.

What makes me sad about the DA's wording is that it appears some kind of sexual assault did happen. I'm sure most people assumed there was, but if he had just said, we're not pressing any further charges, period, people would never really know for sure.
True, but he’s a public official, and the public always wants to know why charges are pursued or not.

It’s a tough position to be in, as the community expects a degree if transparency from those they elect.

I suppose he could have worded this better, but his actions matter a hell of a lot more.

I have now devised an escape plan from my bathroom and would use DC example of opening the drawer to block the door from being opened. It's quite effective and gives a minute or two to open the window and escape. Thank you DC and JC - I hope never to use this knowledge.

I wondered, if the bathroom had a window, why they didn't try to go out it. I like to think I would have boosted my children through the window and told them to run, even if I couldn't get through the window myself. However, nobody really knows what they might actually do in the midst of sheer terror and panic. MOO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryEllen77