NY NY - Norine Higuchi Brown, 31, Nassau County, 12 Dec 1990

Gardener1850

Timeline Guru (Still Remembering Cupcake)
Reaction score
image.jpg

Nearly three decades ago, Norine Higuchi Brown made a late-night supermarket run near her New Hyde Park home for ingredients to make Christmas cookies.

The mother of two — an 18-month-old and a 5-month-old — was never heard from again.

What happened? Did she run off? Was she abducted?

The questions, 28 years later, are still unanswered. But her friends and family haven't given up on finding out what happened to Brown on Dec. 12, 1990, the eve of her 32nd birthday.

In the past year, after Brown's classmates at Uniondale High School came back together for their 40-year reunion, Brown's sister and her closest friends renewed their push to learn whatever they could about the case. They reached out on social media for clues and they peppered the Nassau County Police Department with requests for information.

-----

Norine Higuchi grew up in Uniondale, the second of the four children of Margot Higuchi, a German immigrant who worked as a seamstress and a housekeeper, and Don Higuchi, who owned a carpeting store, said Susan Higuchi Mule, Brown's younger sister.

She was popular and friendly — and a strong athlete who excelled at swimming, gymnastics, skiing and judo, Mule recalled.

"Everyone loved Norine," said Mule, who lives in Phoenix.

After graduating from Uniondale High School, Norine Higuchi briefly worked in an office and a bank before she married John Brown, an FDNY firefighter. The Browns had two children: Anthony was 18 months old when his mother vanished; Alexa was just 5 months old, public records show.

On that Wednesday in December 1990, Norine Brown spent the day with Anthony, Alexa and Mule, who had a newborn. They went Christmas shopping and took pictures with Santa Claus, Mule said. In the evening, Brown drove her sister home to Franklin Square and she returned to New Hyde Park, she said.

Shortly before 11 p.m., Brown told her husband she was going to Pathmark on New Hyde Park Road to buy ingredients for cookies, police said. She liked to avoid stores when they were crowded, friends said. Brown had about $45 in her pocketbook but left her wallet and identification at home, police said.

Whether Brown ever went inside the supermarket wasn't clear, police said at the time.

John Brown told police that he fell asleep on the couch and didn't wake up until 5 a.m. Thursday, according a news report. When he noticed his wife hadn't returned, he called a friend who lived near the grocery store and asked him to look for her station wagon, police said at the time. When the friend found the car in the parking lot, John Brown called police to report his wife missing, authorities said.

Lt. Gerald Looney, the commander of the Missing Persons Squad, told Newsday in 1990 that a Pathmark employee recalled seeing the car in the parking lot shortly after 11 p.m. Wednesday, but no one remembered seeing Brown.

She was wearing red slacks, a dark woolen coat and white sneakers.

Read more at link: Friends push to find LIer who vanished 28 years ago

This was published Jan 19, 2019:

GARDEN CITY PARK -

Friends of a Long Island woman missing since 1990 say they will never give up hope for closure in her case.

Norine Brown was a mother of two from New Hyde Park. She would have been 32 years old on the day her car was found abandoned in a parking lot on Jericho Turnpike in Garden City Park, the former site of a Pathmark Super Center. That was Dec. 13, 1990.

Elaine Commando, a friend of Brown's, drove up from her current home in South Carolina to meet News 12 at the spot where she found Brown's car. There's now a King Kullen there.

"I wasn't sure why she would park in that spot, at 11 o'clock at night," Commando recalls, pointing to where she found the car. "She probably would have parked closer to the store."

The parking lot is more than a mile away from where Brown was living with her husband John, who told friends and family that his wife had gone out at night to buy ingredients for Christmas cookies.

Brown's sister told News 12 in the early '90s that John and Norine had a rocky relationship and that she believes John killed her.

John Brown hired an attorney, was never named a suspect, and denied any involvement. He answered the door of his New Hyde Park home on Tuesday.

"I think she was murdered," he said. "That's what I think, and we just haven't ever found her. There was a report that a lady seen an argument there."

Read more: 'Somebody may remember': Friends hope for closure in 1990 missing woman case

Couldn't find her in namus missing persons. Wonder if we could ask the reporter to get the mom or sister to help her get listed and see if any dna would be available for matching.

She reminds me of Big Coppitt Key Jane DOE, IMHO
The age is off, so it's probably not her, but I see a resemblance.
Does anyone have any physical characteristics for Norine? Does she have any tattoos? Does she have DNA in CODIS?
Link to the unidentified remains case.
49UFFL

Norine's Mom passed away in 2005: View Margot Higuchi's Obituary on AZCentral.com and share memories
Her mother was born in Germany and immigrated to the US as the article in the 1st post of this thread says.

Based on my research her dad might still be alive and in his 80's. Higuchi is name with Japanese origins. I found an obituary for Norine's great aunt (her grandfather's sister) who impressively lived to be 105! https://www.cityofirving.org/DocumentCenter/View/28740/X-Y-Z---2007?bidId=

Her great aunt immigrated from Japan with her family so we can safely conclude that Norine's father Donald is also of Japanese origin (although I think he was born in the US and his father might have been as well).

This is very important to know Norine's heritage as her DNA profile will be unique-- one that is half Japanese and half German in origin. We may want to look for UID's that were determined to be Asian.

Could this be Norine?
Unidentified Person Case

NY - NY - Lattingtown, AsianFem UP10952, 20-50, golden pig pendant, Jan'13

Location is only 14.4 miles drive from the Pathmark Grocery store (King Kullen today): Google Maps

The pig necklace may be symbolic of her parents-- Both were born in 1935 which is the "Year of the Pig" in the Chinese Zodiac Calendar (although Chinese in origin, many Japanese have embraced). Japanese may replace the pig with a boar according to wikipedia: Pig (zodiac) - Wikipedia

2019 is also the year of the pig. Maybe it will be the year this case is solved.

(If anyone thinks this is possibility please send it in, I am only suggesting here. Thanks.)

Mother of two Norine Brown still missing nearly 30 years after vanishing from Long Island, New York

norine_1_d993f82490932b7c9868eb750d00c2e3.nbcnews-ux-1024-900.jpg

(click to enlarge)

It was the morning of Norine Brown’s 32nd birthday when her close friend Elaine Comando got the call.

“Norine’s husband called me at 8 o’clock in the morning -- said that Norine went to the food store last night to buy stuff to make Christmas cookies at around 11:00 p.m.,” Elaine said. “But he said they did have a little fight before that, so he was wondering if she had stayed at my house -- because she never came home.”
---
Elaine says she told John Brown that Norine wasn’t at her house. It was December 13, 1990, and they all lived near each other in New Hyde Park, a small town on New York’s Long Island. Elaine said she was “a little nervous” when she got the call, as it wasn’t normal for Norine to go off the map.

“I said to him, ‘Is there anything I can do?’ And he said, ‘Can you go to Pathmark and see if her car is there?’” Elaine told Dateline. “At that point, I thought maybe she had stayed at another friend’s house. I wasn’t too concerned. Until I went to Pathmark and found her car there.”

Suddenly, Elaine said she grew “very nervous.” She called John from the store’s telephone, and he soon joined her in the parking lot.

“[John] called the police. The police came down to the parking lot and they said they wouldn’t be able to report a missing person until 24 hours,” Elaine said. “The car was locked. There were wrapped Christmas presents in the back of the car. And that’s where it all started.”

Mother of two Norine Brown still missing nearly 30 years after vanishing from Long Island, New York

Article from 2013
Fire Starts at Home of Ex-New Hyde Park Fire Commissioner

A fire broke out at the Falmouth Avenue home of an ex-commissioner of the New Hyde Park Fire Department early Friday morning.

Firefighters responded to an alarm at the home of former commissioner John Brown at 1629 Falmouth Ave. at about 12:42 a.m. when a person across the street called in the alarm. Fire personnel were at the nearby Applebee's on Leonard Boulevard and Jericho Turnpike when the call arrived and rushed to the scene.

That's about the husband?

Article from 2013

A fire broke out at the Falmouth Avenue home of an ex-commissioner of the New Hyde Park Fire Department early Friday morning.

Firefighters responded to an alarm at the home of former commissioner John Brown at 1629 Falmouth Ave. at about 12:42 a.m. when a person across the street called in the alarm. Fire personnel were at the nearby Applebee's on Leonard Boulevard and Jericho Turnpike when the call arrived and rushed to the scene.

That's about the husband?

Yes.

And here is another from 2010
===
He has $$$ to burn

John Brown works as a fireman in New Hyde Park while collecting an $82,000 FDNY disability pension.

A “disabled” city firefighter is still battling blazes while he rakes in a taxpayer-funded pension.

Retired FDNY Lt. John Brown, who left the department after 9/11 with a tax-free $82,000 disability pension, has responded to hundreds of fires in his Long Island hometown since leaving the FDNY, The Post has learned.

Brown, 53, a 24-year veteran assigned to Ladder Co. 165 in St. Albans, Queens, was awarded a three-quarter disability pension in September 2002 after the FDNY determined he had developed reactive airway disease, an asthma-like condition, after toiling at Ground Zero.

Yet Brown has been found fit to serve as a New Hyde Park fire commissioner and firefighter, a Post probe found.

https://nypost.com/2010/11/15/he-has-to-burn/

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back