Identified! FL - St Petersburg, Skeletal Remains in War Memorial Park, Mar'16 - Robert Higgins

Ok, i'm as stubborn as a mule but i've just emailed the Grayson County Sherifs Office with my "suspicions".
Cause i can't get this damn "Match"out of my head.

I mean, the only reason that stopped me from contacting them was the fractures/plates part not matching up. But the "what if his family didn't know about that" part was driving me bat *advertiser censored* crazy.
So I emailed them with my thoughts and the info (NamUs No. of the John Doe, Straight drive from hometown to place where the John Doe was found etc.) and asked them if they could find out if John Wingler ever did have the fractures/plates that the John Doe has.

The worst that can happen is that they say he really didn't. But then at least I know i have tried everything.
So keep your fingers crossed guys.

Ok they haven'r responded and there are no exclusions mentioned on NamUs.
I registered so i can see them.
I have emailed the contactperson from John's case and the contactperson for the John Doe.
Keeping my fingers crossed

Hi Frenchie,
Is there DNA in John's case? If so they most likely put the DNA for the UI person and it really does take months to get the results back, so it may be a hit. Never be afraid to reach out to the detectives in these cases, they will happy to look at what you have found. You may not always hear back, as most are so busy or don't want to engage about a case unless they have to ask you a question, but they are grateful for the "eyes". I can't speak for all of them, but I know how busy our detectives are and most won't reach out because we get so many emails a week about cases. Thank you.

Hi Frenchie,
Is there DNA in John's case? If so they most likely put the DNA for the UI person and it really does take months to get the results back, so it may be a hit. Never be afraid to reach out to the detectives in these cases, they will happy to look at what you have found. You may not always hear back, as most are so busy or don't want to engage about a case unless they have to ask you a question, but they are grateful for the "eyes". I can't speak for all of them, but I know how busy our detectives are and most won't reach out because we get so many emails a week about cases. Thank you.
Hi Skully,
I don't think they have DNA for John. At least I can't find it mentioned on his NamUs page.
I emailed the Sheriffs Dept. in July 2018, so i figured they must have thought I was some nutcase ;-) and ignored my email

Hi Skully,
I don't think they have DNA for John. At least I can't find it mentioned on his NamUs page.
I emailed the Sheriffs Dept. in July 2018, so i figured they must have thought I was some nutcase ;-) and ignored my email

No, they don't think you are a nutcase. I am sure they got it and will or are looking into it. If John has a sister, or brother they can put DNA into CODIS. All they have to do is go to local LE and tell them they want to submit DNA for the missing person for NAMUS.

2892UMFL

2892UMFL7.jpg

Date of Discovery: March 8, 2016
Location of Discovery: St. Petersburg, Pinellas County, Florida
Estimated Date of Death: 5 weeks prior
State of Remains: Skeletal
Cause of Death: Undetermined

Physical Description
Estimated Age: 65-80 years old
Race: White
Height: 5'8" - 6'1"
Weight: 100 lbs.
Hair Color: Gray
Eye Color: Unknown
Distinguishing Marks/Features: Severe arthritis and deformed left hip. Healed injuries to face, arms and legs. Zimmer orthopedic plates were used on the right ulna and radius.

Identifiers
Dentals: Available.
Fingerprints: Not available.
DNA: Available.

Clothing & Personal Items
Clothing: Near the remains was a pair of gray boxer styled Gildan underwear. Size L (36-38)
Jewelry: A black Miykon wrist watch that had gold colored trim with a black leather band.
Additional Personal Items: Unknown

Circumstances of Discovery
The decedent's skeletal remains were discovered by a landscaping crew on March 8, 2016. Chemical isotope testing indicated the man spent his early years in TX, LA, MS, AL, GA or central FL. During the last ten years of his life, he may have lived in OK, AR, TN, southern VA or NC.

Hello everybody, I've just joined up so I can join this thread. I live in a small town in southeast Texas, south of Houston, and I'm interested in this case because if I understand it right, you've eliminated a Mr. Winger and the case of the unidentified St. Petersburg skeletal remains is still open. A man matching the NamUs description went missing from my little town in November 2016 and there are several matching details. Is this the right place to continue the search or am I in the wrong place?

Hello everybody, I've just joined up so I can join this thread. I live in a small town in southeast Texas, south of Houston, and I'm interested in this case because if I understand it right, you've eliminated a Mr. Winger and the case of the unidentified St. Petersburg skeletal remains is still open. A man matching the NamUs description went missing from my little town in November 2016 and there are several matching details. Is this the right place to continue the search or am I in the wrong place?

The right place, and welcome to WS.

It would be useful if you could post a comparison of the two sets of data and we will pitch in with comments or suggestions. If it's a possible match you can then submit to the investigators listed in Namus - however it's always best to have a tight/well researched case or else tips might be discounted. We are here to help!

Thanks, Melt71. Here's my comparison. I'll call the unidentified male UMFL and my possible match EMB.
UMFL is listed at age 65-80. EMB was 82 when he went missing in 2015.
UMFL has brown eyes. EMB has brown eyes and brown hair (with some gray - he's elderly)
UMFL was discovered early March 2016. EMB went missing November 2015. Four months is plenty of time for decomposition into skeletal remains.
UMFL was 5'8" to 6'1". EMB was exactly six feet tall.
UMFL was from the southern US according to isotope testing. EMB had lived in southeast Texas for an unknown number of years.

Now for some things that are just coincidental, not hard facts. This is where I need help:
The distinguishing marks/features are similar. Injuries are mentioned on the left side. EMB was a rodeo contestant for many years and had a deep scar on his
upper left arm. He was also missing "half of his left foot", which has also been called "missing toes". He walked with a limp.

Also, it seems like there was a comment on this thread that mentioned rodeo injuries when y'all were talking about Mr. Winger. I can't find it right now. Maybe I'm
confused about that connection.

In any case, that's a start. I can post of photo of EMB if y'all think it's worth pursuing. Thanks.
Marie

Thanks, Melt71. Here's my comparison. I'll call the unidentified male UMFL and my possible match EMB.
UMFL is listed at age 65-80. EMB was 82 when he went missing in 2015.
UMFL has brown eyes. EMB has brown eyes and brown hair (with some gray - he's elderly)
UMFL was discovered early March 2016. EMB went missing November 2015. Four months is plenty of time for decomposition into skeletal remains.
UMFL was 5'8" to 6'1". EMB was exactly six feet tall.
UMFL was from the southern US according to isotope testing. EMB had lived in southeast Texas for an unknown number of years.

Now for some things that are just coincidental, not hard facts. This is where I need help:
The distinguishing marks/features are similar. Injuries are mentioned on the left side. EMB was a rodeo contestant for many years and had a deep scar on his
upper left arm. He was also missing "half of his left foot", which has also been called "missing toes". He walked with a limp.

Also, it seems like there was a comment on this thread that mentioned rodeo injuries when y'all were talking about Mr. Winger. I can't find it right now. Maybe I'm
confused about that connection.

In any case, that's a start. I can post of photo of EMB if y'all think it's worth pursuing. Thanks.
Marie

Hi Marie, welcome to Websleuths.

I found the NamUs page for "EMB" and his Websleuths thread. Many of the facts do seem to line up (although Texas to Florida is a long way to travel for an elderly man with dementia)

The injuries sound very different though.
UP15482: The right lower arm was fractured with both the Radius and Ulna having been repaired with Zimmer Orthopedic plates. Possible limp due to prior left extremity trauma.
EMB: missing half of his left foot and has a deep scar on upper left arm

Would EMB's relatives have forgotten to mention the orthopedic plates in his arm when they reported him missing? Also, I'm not sure how they know that the UID may have limped, but it doesn't say that he was missing part of his foot - surely that is significant enough to mention as an identifying feature.

Yes, I agree that's significant about the foot. Is there a way we can find out who reported EMB missing? I don't think he had relatives in my town. There are two versions of the way he disappeared. Some say he was last seen on a nearby road looking confused. Another says a sniffing (police?) dog stopped at the end of his driveway. He lived alone on 25 acres and I haven't been able to verify whether he wandered off or was picked up by someone at the end of his driveway. I do know that there was a person with his same last name living less than a 20 minute drive from the place he was found in Florida. Also, the photo I found of EMB (on the web) looks a lot like the composite drawing, right down to the bushy eyebrows. I realize eyebrows aren't part of skull anatomy, but still...

Hi Marie, welcome to Websleuths.

I found the NamUs page for "EMB" and his Websleuths thread. Many of the facts do seem to line up (although Texas to Florida is a long way to travel for an elderly man with dementia)

The injuries sound very different though.
UP15482: The right lower arm was fractured with both the Radius and Ulna having been repaired with Zimmer Orthopedic plates. Possible limp due to prior left extremity trauma.
EMB: missing half of his left foot and has a deep scar on upper left arm

Would EMB's relatives have forgotten to mention the orthopedic plates in his arm when they reported him missing? Also, I'm not sure how they know that the UID may have limped, but it doesn't say that he was missing part of his foot - surely that is significant enough to mention as an identifying feature.
They could have not known about the plates. For example his kids knew, but they might have passed away and a friend and/or grandchild that didn’t know about the plates could have filed the missing persons report.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hoist Gracie
Back