Rebecca Zahau Wrongful Death/ADAM SHACKNAI FOUND RESPONSIBLE #6

Settlement in Rebecca Zahau civil case -

February 6, 2019
KUSI Newsroom

SAN DIEGO (KUSI) – A civil case stemming from the death of 32-year-old Rebecca Zahau, whose bound and nude body was found hanging from a balcony at a historic Coronado mansion more than seven years ago, was dismissed with prejudice Wednesday following a settlement reached between her family and insurers.

Zahau was found July 13, 2011, hanging by her neck above a rear courtyard at her boyfriend’s beachfront summer home. She was gagged, with her ankles bound and her wrists tied behind her back.

Despite law enforcement’s findings that she committed suicide, a civil jury found Adam Shacknai, the brother of Zahau’s boyfriend, liable for her death and awarded Zahau’s mother more than $5 million in damages last April. Zahau’s family claimed that Shacknai confronted and attacked her because his nephew suffered an ultimately fatal fall while in her care.

Shacknai sought to have the jury’s verdict overturned, but the Zahau family’s lawyer, Keith Greer, asked that the case be dismissed. Judge Katherine Bacal, who previously issued a tentative ruling indicating she would deny a retrial, granted the request.

Terms of the settlement were not disclosed, with Greer electing to only say, “The case has been resolved.”

he’d been prepared to argue that the verdict should be overturned because “this case was entirely built on circumstantial evidence.
:D LOL! He's hoping people will think there's something shady about circumstantial evidence! Ignorance at its finest. He's basically saying there were no witnesses so it can't be proved. Of course he wouldn't admit that the insurers recognized when to put the brakes on.

The very best of luck to Mary and Mr Greer going forward in their pursuit for justice.

It will be interesting to see the next steps, with Greer and the Zahaus appealing to the Medical Examiner's office. I'm sure they'll be under a lot of pressure to refuse to review the case, but you never know. From a strictly medical standpoint, there is very good reason for them to review the case and make a ruling.

Anyone have a link to video of Greer's remarks? They seem to be disappearing from the internet.

:D LOL! He's hoping people will think there's something shady about circumstantial evidence! Ignorance at its finest. He's basically saying there were no witnesses so it can't be proved. Of course he wouldn't admit that the insurers recognized when to put the brakes on.

The very best of luck to Mary and Mr Greer going forward in their pursuit for justice.

Just as the Shacknai's always denied that lack of other fingerprints was the result of someone cleaning up the crime scene. Remember the area on the balcony door that had obviously been wiped completely clean? Some OJ Simpson logic there.

I'm not a lawyer but my guess would be that if a case is settled there is nothing that can be appealed so there can't be a judgement on record. I also guess what Greer is saying is that what happened in the trial happened, and that can't be taken away, if you know what I mean. The jury voted as they did.
Each state has their own laws on when a verdict is vacated but typical whenever a verdict is under appeal. I also believe that as long as time (and money) exist, AS would have continued with appeal after appeal, until exhausting every legal possibility. This was the best decision for both the plantiff's and the defendants insurer. Maybe not the best for AS high powered attorney's as their billable hours ceased. MOO

It will be interesting to see the next steps, with Greer and the Zahaus appealing to the Medical Examiner's office. I'm sure they'll be under a lot of pressure to refuse to review the case, but you never know. From a strictly medical standpoint, there is very good reason for them to review the case and make a ruling.

Anyone have a link to video of Greer's remarks? They seem to be disappearing from the internet.
Perhaps later in the day when video is upload for evening news.

So in the end, it was all about money for the Zahaus. Nothing but MONEY. Adam Shacknai was framed just so the Zahaus could make a big paycheck off of their sister’s suicide.
This was a travesty of the justice system. San Diego should be ashamed, as should all that helped this family spread false stories about innocent people. Money. The root of all evil.
I disagree with your assessment. According to AS, they settled for "a pittance" of the verdict award.
The man who became the focus of the civil trial, Adam Shacknai, brother of Zahau’s then-boyfriend Jonah Shacknai , said outside court that his insurance company “did an end-around” on him, and said the settlement was for far less — “a pittance” — than the $5.1 million jury award. bbm

“They were tired of throwing money at it,” he said. Both he and his lawyer, Seth Weisburst, said Shacknai himself is not paying out any money.
more to read at link
Stunning end to Zahau civil case as family settles, wipes out jury finding
Hoping Attorney Greer is successful in getting ME to correct and/or revise RZ's death certificate, and continue the fight for justice for Rebecca.

The settlement will also serve to relieve the financial burden to move ahead with this fight for Becky. Gone but never forgotten...:)

Mr Greer's tweet:

The jury's ruling that Adam Shacknai murdered Rebecca Zahau will stand forever, as will the judge's tentative ruling upholding the verdict and calling out @sdsheriff 's poor investigation. Keith Greer (@GreerLawyer) | Twitter

Another tweet from Greer, from a few weeks ago, after Judge Bacal's last ruling:

Keith Greer on Twitter

The judge called out the San Diego Sheriff's Office for not doing a better investigation, including the painted message on the death room door.

"Court feels remiss if it does not state that the Sheriff's investigation leaves almost as many questions unanswered as it answered."

Thanks, cynic! I wasn't able to get that video (the one posted to the news site) to play on my computer. Works great on You Tube.

He seems to have some specific items he wants the ME to address. A few weeks ago, he made mention of the Sheriff's investigation making a wrong conclusion about RZ's menstrual blood on the handle of the knife.

Assume he will also bring up the 2 separate sets of ligature/strangulation marks.

He says he will petition the ME to declare RZ's cause of death as murder.

Last edited:
This is all a dog and pony show by Greer. He is going to take the money and run. He knows that the Medical Examiner just stated that he was convinced it was a suicide. Greer also knows his fantasy evidence would never stand up to scrutiny in a Criminal case, and that those who understand DNA and fingerprints know only Rebecca was responsible for her death.

Give ‘em the old Razzle Dazzle, huh Greer?

Hey Betty! Long time no see! :wave:

Was surprised to hear this today but so glad they are now headed to the medical examiner in this never ending quest for Justice for Rebecca.

I hope we all get to see all the unexplained things brought to light. I'm sure there is even more than what we've all be discussing all these years.

I wonder how many tug boat captains have the kind of umbrella policy that would cover something like this and allow the type of legal counsel AS has had...

ALWAYS MOO

Thanks, cynic! I wasn't able to get that video (the one posted to the news site) to play on my computer. Works great on You Tube.

He seems to have some specific items he wants the ME to address. A few weeks ago, he made mention of the Sheriff's investigation making a wrong conclusion about RZ's menstrual blood on the handle of the knife.

Assume he will also bring up the 2 separate sets of ligature/strangulation marks.

He says he will petition the ME to declare RZ's cause of death as murder.

Hey Betty! Long time no see! :wave:

Was surprised to hear this today but so glad they are now headed to the medical examiner in this never ending quest for Justice for Rebecca.

I hope we all get to see all the unexplained things brought to light. I'm sure there is even more than what we've all be discussing all these years.

I wonder how many tug boat captains have the kind of umbrella policy that would cover something like this and allow the type of legal counsel AS has had...

ALWAYS MOO

Hi Inthedark! Good to see you, too. :wave: Looks like some of the old gang is coming back to read the latest news.

I was wondering the same about the big umbrella policy that AS has. Doesn't seem like the kind of policy a tugboat captain would have. Regardless, the insurance company decided to bail out on this one.

I'm glad the Zahau family will finally get some relief to help pay for their long battle for justice.

Following last year’s verdict, Shacknai filed an appeal in hopes of having the civil case retried.

However, the judge said at Wednesday hearing that a settlement between Zahau’s family and an insurance company was reached “outside of the verdict” -- a development that essentially ended Shacknai’s retrial request.

With the settlement, the judge dismissed the case but noted that the verdict against Shacknai would remain. bbm
Rebecca Zahau case: Settlement reached, civil case dismissed

ETA: While the attorney's have not commented on details of the insurance settlement, Judge Bacal did in fact provide an important detail being ignored both by the media, and by AS high powered team.

IMO, the verdict could NOT be vacated because the case was no longer under appeal. AS could not file another appeal today because the case has been dismissed. VERDICT REMAINS.

Is the San Diego Tribune headline in error? They're making it sound as though the verdict of the civil case was also wiped out, too. Not nice or honest.

Here's the way their reporter describes it:
Terrible reporting by SDT beginning with "SHACKNAI" as the header. I've also messaged reporter Greg Moran to inform him that Jude Bacal provided that settlement was made "OUTSIDE OF THE VERDICT," and therefore verdict stands.

Furthermore, it's my understanding that the case would have to be under appeal for the verdict to be vacated. Judge denied AS claim for retrial, done. Settlement reached. Case dismissed. No more appeal possible by AS. Verdict stands!

Mr Greer's tweet:

The jury's ruling that Adam Shacknai murdered Rebecca Zahau will stand forever, as will the judge's tentative ruling upholding the verdict and calling out @sdsheriff 's poor investigation. Keith Greer (@GreerLawyer) | Twitter
Wow, wow, wow!

I'm so proud for Keith Greer -- the little engine that could... AS high profile legal team were left stunned today by news of the settlement reached outside of the verdict. Yes!!

Last edited:
Keith Greer‏ @GreerLawyer
Keith Greer Retweeted Kelly Hessedal

Listening to this turns my stomach. The Zahau Family will not rest until this guy is behind bars. #rebeccazahau # #rebecca #zahau

Keith Greer added,

07st7esLoUtbNHRn.jpg

0:17
Kelly HessedalVerified account @KellyNews8
Adam Shacknai’s response when asked “did u kill Rebecca Zahau?” ⁦Civil trial is now over. His insurance company and the Zahau family reached a settlement @CBS8⁩
3:16 PM - 6 Feb 2019

Terrible reporting by SDT beginning with "SHACKNAI" as the header. I've also messaged reporter Greg Moran to inform him that Jude Bacal provided that settlement was made "OUTSIDE OF THE VERDICT," and therefore verdict stands.

Furthermore, it's my understanding that the case would have to be under appeal for the verdict to be vacated. Judge denied AS claim for retrial, done. Settlement reached. Case dismissed. No more appeal possible by AS. Verdict stands!

Thanks, Seattle1! That's great information about the settlement and status of the verdict. I had considered emailing the reporter myself, but thanks for doing it.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
julandken
Back