GUILTY MA - Conrad Roy, 18, urged by friend, commits suicide, Fairhaven, 13 July 2014 #2 *guilty*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Court upholds manslaughter conviction for Massachusetts woman who texted her boyfriend, 18, encouraging him to kill himself - and she'll now spend 15 months in prison
  • The Supreme Judicial Court in Massachusetts on Wednesday upheld Michelle Carter's involuntary manslaughter conviction
  • Carter, now 22, was convicted in 2017 of causing her boyfriend Conrad Roy III's death after she encouraged him via text to kill himself
  • The judge said Carter had a duty to call the police or Roy's family when she knew the 18-year-old intended to take his own life
  • Instead, she told him to 'get back in' his truck that was filling with toxic gas after he told her he was scared
  • Carter was 17 when Roy was found dead of carbon monoxide poisoning in 2014
  • She was sentenced to 15 months in jail but has remained free while she pursues her appeals
The judge said Carter, now 22, had a duty to call the police or Roy's family when she knew the 18-year-old intended to kill himself.

'Then after she convinced him to get back into the carbon monoxide filled truck, she did absolutely nothing to help him: she did not call for help or tell him to get out of the truck as she listened to him choke and die,' Justice Scott Kafker wrote in the Supreme Judicial Court's ruling.

Court upholds manslaughter conviction for woman who encouraged boyfriend via text to kill himself | Daily Mail Online

If she is 22, then is she ineligible for juvenile ‘Prison’? Also, if I remember right she has 5 years of probation to serve, is that after at jail time, or served concurrently? I would likely see her serve time, she needs to be held accountable and No outside influence should make the Judge change that.

According to the article you posted The Farm.

"Carter's legal team said it was considering its options, including an appeal to the U.S. Supreme Court."

She should be in Prison because they are just considering their options. jmo

I am thinking they might not end up going any further the way it is worded..
She needs to sit in the big house for a while thinking about what her actions have done. The party has ended, she has gone to Disney and other vacations, swam and enjoyed her summers, her family, restaurants, hair salons.
I truly wonder how she looks at it all now?

I am thinking they might not end up going any further the way it is worded..
She needs to sit in the big house for a while thinking about what her actions have done. The party has ended, she has gone to Disney and other vacations, swam and enjoyed her summers, her family, restaurants, hair salons.
I truly wonder how she looks at it all now?

Yes, it is disappointing to hear of only 15 months. I would be satisfied with five years. Her conduct was inexcusable.

Prosecutors will ask court to impose Michelle Carter's jail sentence

Well it looks like she will be in court on Monday! They want her to go to her new home now.
YUP!!
"The district attorney said the motion to impose her sentence will be heard Monday afternoon in Taunton. Carter has been told to appear, prosecutors said."

As posted earlier, the stay of her sentence was only during the State appeals process, not any Federal appeals. So even while they ponder she will be in jail and even if they go forward with a Federal appeal - she will be in jail.

YUP!!
"The district attorney said the motion to impose her sentence will be heard Monday afternoon in Taunton. Carter has been told to appear, prosecutors said."

As posted earlier, the stay of her sentence was only during the State appeals process, not any Federal appeals. So even while they ponder she will be in jail and even if they go forward with a Federal appeal - she will be in jail.
Phew! This is good news. Well, as good as something like this can get. I hope she serves too.

Bristol DA on Twitter
Bristol DA‏ @BristolDA 2h2 hours ago
We have just been notified that the SJC has denied Michelle Carter’s motion for a stay of sentence in her case.

Mario Hilario on Twitter

Mario Hilario‏ @NBC10_Mario 32m32 minutes ago
Judge denies Michelle Carter stay. She's taken into custody @NBC10

NBC 10 WJAR on Twitter
NBC 10 WJAR‏Verified account @NBC10 25m25 minutes ago
Motion for a stay of sentence is denied. Michelle Carter taken into custody. https://go.turnto10.com/2DrTyf4

DzJbaBAWoAEZloU.jpg

0 replies3 retweets3 likes

Anna Meiler on Twitter
Anna Meiler‏Verified account @AnnaMeiler 33m33 minutes ago
#BREAKING judge rules that Michelle Carter will begin 15-month prison sentence for 2017 involuntary manslaughter conviction for encouraging her boyfriend, Conrad Roy, to commit suicide. #wbz #michellecarter

Bill Kole on Twitter
Bill Kole‏Verified account @billkole 32m32 minutes ago
BREAKING: Woman who urged boyfriend through text messages to kill himself has been ordered to jail to begin serving her 15-month sentence. #michellecarter

Jerome Campbell on Twitter
Jerome Campbell‏ @JeromeRCampbell 5h5 hours ago
A Bristol juvenile judge could decide this afternoon whether Michelle Carter will begin her 15-month prison sentence. Her appellate attorneys filed an emergency motion this morning to continue her stay while they prepare an appeal to the Supreme Court

Jerome Campbell‏ @JeromeRCampbell 5h5 hours ago
The appellate attorneys intend to ask the Supreme Court to overturn the station court ruling by applying federal constitutional protections, according to their court filing.

DzIemgKXgAAW_FH.jpg

DzIexO6WwAAd6Fe.jpg

0 replies0 retweets0 likes

Jerome Campbell‏ @JeromeRCampbell 49m49 minutes ago
Jerome Campbell Retweeted WBUR

I'm in the courtroom where the judge will soon hear arguments whether #MichelleCarter should begin her 15-month sentence for her involuntary manslaughter conviction.

Jerome Campbell‏ @JeromeRCampbell 42m42 minutes ago
The judge granted the Commonwealth's motion, ordering Michelle Carter to begin her sentence. She was taken into custody immediately after the ruling.

Jerome Campbell‏ @JeromeRCampbell 33m33 minutes ago
Prosecutors maintained that the initial stay of sentence was only for the state court appeal. Now that it is over, the stay should be lifted.

Jerome Campbell‏ @JeromeRCampbell 32m32 minutes ago
Joseph Cataldo, who presented on behalf of the defense, said that Carter's legal team planned to file an appeal with the Supreme Court in 90 days. Adding that the court should grant the stay of sentence.

Jerome Campbell‏ @JeromeRCampbell 31m31 minutes ago
Reporters are now gathered outside the courthouse waiting for comment from the attorneys.

DzJcs9AXQAAl3ff.jpg

0 replies0 retweets0 likes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members