Found Deceased UK - Libby Squire, 21, last seen getting into taxi outside Welly club, Hull, 31 Jan 2019 #2 *ARREST*

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the man in custody killed Libby, he didn't necessarily dispose of her body immediately. He could have put her in the boot of his car overnight and then taken it somewhere much further afield. It worries me that he works somewhere where, I assume, large volumes of organic matter is destroyed.

They've had the car for a while now though surely they would have found evidence that a dead body had been in it and would have had something to hold him on suspicion of murder rather than abduction?

But I agree he could have done anything with the body really because he had almost a week.

A lot of profiles were not locked down yesterday. I suppose my point is that if no link exists (which of course we can’t be in any way certain of) then it points to either pre-meditation or an encounter gone wrong. If Libby got into his car willingly, that leaves scope for the second option. If she was forced into the vehicle or otherwise restrained then obviously the encounter went wrong theory wouldn’t fly. I think it comes down to ‘how can Libby be THIS well concealed?’ If they have his car, his clothing, and I assume CCTV footage or tip offs about his movements to lead to his house, then surely that should also lead to a location. Unless he is a mastermind who put in heavy pre-planning.

The river is so very close -

Honestly I'm not sure of the rules of extending questioning but I read earlier the Superintendent did the first 12 hour extension so don't even need a judge!

It will be interesting which way Police go re: charging or not if they have nothing solid on him. Releasing him under investigation is probably something they want to avoid now if they are convinced of his guilt.

Yeah the way it works is the sergeant in charge is allowed to authorize an additional 12 hour extension, anything after that is to be authorized by the courts dependent on current evidence.

That’s a good point the question is was she still alive before he decided to depose of her? he could not have taken her back to his house because his wife would have been there and if she was alive in the boot of his she would have made too much noise
And with 2 young kids in the house and a wife, quite probably still doing nightfeeds and used to sleeping lightly/ being woke by her baby’s cries, it’s unlikely he could have been gone for a long period of time without her wondering what was up - unless she thought he was working an overnight shift.

So are we thinking the person currently in custody is innocent because of the extension or guilty? I find myself leaning towards the former because they haven’t located Libby yet. He might need to be a bit of a mastermind if this is his first offence and Libby is this well concealed. I’m still struggling to find a link between the two. The only things I can see are that the additional info Libby’s parents released this week specifies that she loves the gym and MSM has referred to the accused as a “gym lover”. Also, the martial arts club that he attends use the playing fields being searched by police for training - although I’m sure many other sports clubs locally do too. Also, nothing to suggest Libby and P. attend the same gym.
Something the police know but haven't released linked him to Libby that night (I know I am stating the obvious). They have been asking him questions and checking out his answers based on what they know, looking for inconsistencies. The additional time IMHO is because some of the answers he has given require more time to check out and because the answers he has given have led to additional questions. I think it is safe to say that based on the initial interviews he does not have an iron-clad alibi that makes it seem like a big misunderstanding.

Hi, can I ask why it was closed down ? It's daytime here in the UK where this event is happeneing. Thanks

We shut down problematic threads all the time, day or night, in all time zones. Yes, we do have moderators around the clock. There are constant TOS violations on the threads for this case. Even this morning members have already posted several off topic posts disregarding a rule that I posted in post #4. Discussing moderation on the threads is a TOS violation.

* Questions about the rules or moderation should be addressed to a mod in a private message called a conversation. DO NOT discuss them in the thread.

It is a privilege to have the thread open for discussion not a given.

Now please stay on the topic of Libby Squire's case and post according to our TOS.

Honestly I'm not sure of the rules of extending questioning but I read earlier the Superintendent did the first 12 hour extension so don't even need a judge!

It will be interesting which way Police go re: charging or not if they have nothing solid on him. Releasing him under investigation is probably something they want to avoid now if they are convinced of his guilt.

It's 24 hours
Then 12 hours, granted by a Superintendent or someone at a higher level than Superintendent
Then 36 hours - magistrate has to grant this
Then a final 24 hours - magistrate permit again

After that time, they either;
Charge with an offence
Release on bail - now usually termed release under investigation
Release with no further action

Recent new rules for Bail
28 days initially
Then up to 3 months ( including the first 28 days )
Then special permit has to be sought to continue the bail after this time

It's 24 hours
Then 12 hours, granted by a Superintendent or someone at a higher level than Superintendent
Then 36 hours - magistrate has to grant this
Then a final 24 hours - magistrate permit again

After that time, they either;
Charge with an offence
Release on bail - now usually termed release under investigation
Release with no further action

Recent new rules for Bail
28 days initially
Then up to 3 months ( including the first 28 days )
Then special permit has to be sought to continue the bail after this time

So the 36hrs expires tomorrow night? Then another 12hrs to Sunday morning, potentially?

Something the police know but haven't released linked him to Libby that night (I know I am stating the obvious). They have been asking him questions and checking out his answers based on what they know, looking for inconsistencies. The additional time IMHO is because some of the answers he has given require more time to check out and because the answers he has given have led to additional questions. I think it is safe to say that based on the initial interviews he does not have an iron-clad alibi that makes it seem like a big misunderstanding.

Or he's just saying No Comment to every question

So the 36hrs expires tomorrow night? Then another 12hrs to Sunday morning, potentially?

Yes the 36 ends tomorrow night, but they would then go for the final 24 in one go - if they need it.

Also, because it's Friday, they are likely to apply for the 36 hours today, rather than having to find a magistrate to grant the permit in the early hours of Saturday. And, not 100% on this point, but I think they could do the final 24 at that time, or at least ensure they have the magistrate on speed dial in case of need.

I asssume that having evidence forensically tested takes time. They've got a man in custody, but can't charge him unless the CPS believe there's enough evidence to secure a conviction. The police may have found what they think is evidence linking the guy to the crime (whatever that crime is) but it has to be tested and submitted to the CPS before they can charge him. That's my understanding of why an extension is often requested.

For his sister to provide the account of Libby getting into the car, it means PR MUST have spoken to her about it prior to the police arrest, maybe as a way of covering his tracks or creating a cover story with a trusted family member knowing there was a huge likelihood he would eventually be linked to her disappearance. If he didn't spontaneously go to the police with his story then that speaks volumes.

If he’s innocent, he needs the police to find Libby. If he’s guilty, the police need to find Libby or get a confession. If he trains in those fields with his sports club and has already admitted to having her in his car, then any evidence placing him in the fields (if it transpires that’s where a crime took place) or placing Libby in his car (unless it’s blood) is circumstantial.
I assume he'll require an interpreter to ensure he understands everything that's going on. That can sometimes take time which could also account for a custody extension.

Interesting point. It would be good to know if his English is fluent. An interaction between someone who is intoxicated and upset and someone with an accent and limited English language could be challenging/ lead to miscommunication.

Interesting point. It would be good to know if his English is fluent. An interaction between someone who is intoxicated and upset and someone with an accent and limited English language could be challenging/ lead to miscommunication.

RSBM I imagine his conversational English will be fine given he holds down a job etc but more formal English in a stressful setting might be an issue.

I'd be interested to know whether the suspect took his car to a car wash since the disappearance, or was spotted by anyone cleaning his car. It's an unusual time of year and weather to be seen washing a car right now.

It's not unusual. I've cleaned my car inside and out over the winter. The bodywork and non-wiper bits of windscreen get filthy from damp roads with salt and general muck spraying up, because I'm wearing shoes or boots with a deeper tread I've picked up dead leaves and tiny stones that end up in the footwells and there's been condensation on the interior of the windows from people breathing and damp clothes.

I
RSBM I imagine his conversational English will be fine given he holds down a job etc but more formal English in a stressful setting might be an issue.
I understand that his workplace has a significant number of polish workers amongst its staff. Staff have actually mentioned in reviews of the company that it is a good place to work if communication skills are poor - physical work, repetitive nature, fellow native language speakers

I'm not sure his English is all that good. The neighbour next door to them said he was asked by PR's wife to phone their landlord when a fence panel fell down because her English was poor - surely PR could have handled that if his wasn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member