Found Safe TN - SLP, 14, Madisonville, Monroe County, 13 Jan 2019 #4 *ARRESTS*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear Quill,

Thank you so much for your post.

Your great compassion for children certainly motivated you to use your courage and integrity to follow through on this. You are a remarkable person for doing that.

Oh how I wish everyone responded to a child's safety and welfare as you did.

I'm so glad you are on this thread, sharing your insight and compassion. Greatly appreciated!

Thank you. My personal background would not allow me to back down. I was VERY young and just starting out. Lisa Steinberg was the current news. Mandated reporting for teachers brand new.

I realize I am stepping into this lively back and forth, but how would BDR know whether he was talking to a middle aged man, child (boy or girl) or an undercover policeman for that matter in the anonymity of this internet game of Roblox? Certainly, at least at first he would have no idea who he was playing against, would he? How can we assume he was using this game exclusively for the means of speaking to young girls?
Yes. Kids lie to bump their age to bypass age restrictions. Adults lie about age to fit in with the younger players. Most adults playing these games are good and no threat. Some adults unfortunately are not so honorable.

Back in the 90s while between jobs I played a lot of checkers and chess online. Amazed how many kids were playing weekdays during school year. Would get asked on occasion how old I was and honestly reply. Declined all other personal questions. Some dropped out immediately while others started conversations. Warned a few that not knowing who they were playing could be anyone lying about everything. Mentioned that they should never give out personal information.

Like most things in life there is good and bad with everything.

Most adults playing these games are good and no threat. Some adults unfortunately are not so honorable.

Back in the 90s while between jobs I played a lot of checkers and chess online. Amazed how many kids were playing weekdays during school year. Would get asked on occasion how old I was and honestly reply. Declined all other personal questions. Some dropped out immediately while others started conversations. Warned a few that not knowing who they were playing could be anyone lying about everything. Mentioned that they should never give out personal information.

I've been playing various milsims online since the early 90's. Thankfully all the servers I've played have had a zero tolerance policy for tomfoolery of any kind. But since then, smartphones and ubiquitous wi-fi combined with all of these low effort, throw away "games" and instant messaging apps make me cringe to even think about giving a kid unsupervised access to this technology.

I've been playing various milsims online since the early 90's. Thankfully all the servers I've played have had a zero tolerance policy for tomfoolery of any kind. But since then, smartphones and ubiquitous wi-fi combined with all of these low effort, throw away "games" and instant messaging apps make me cringe to even think about giving a kid unsupervised access to this technology.

And thankfully, in this case anyway, SLP found a way to gain access to escape. By using the apps she used, she was able to end her abuse in that house. I know, we all know, that her 'rescuer' wasn't much better.

IMO we don't have all of the conversations that took place between SLP and BDR. How old did he tell SLP that he was? Did that question even come up between them? Usually it would, if SLP was looking for someone that could drive.

Not that he couldn't have told her he was '22' or similar. Another kid would not have helped her with his bicycle. IMO of course.

Yeah, the apps present a very cautious tale of access to anyone 'out there' on the 'net.'

That just reminded me of an early case of internet stalking. The victim unknowingly gave out personal details that led her abductor/SA/killer to her home. I believe her dad was the Police Chief. A small town. I will find that link!

Found it! From 2002. Sad Sad outcome. Kidnap Suspect Kills Girl, 13, Self

I could not find her on here in WS, or my search capabilities are zilch. Not sure.

Last edited:
By using the apps she used, she was able to end her abuse in that house. I know, we all know, that her 'rescuer' wasn't much better.

That's the sticky wicket isn't it? Not sure there is any viable solution to this as the toothpaste is out of tube. On the one hand you don't want to deprive a child of the vast information store of the net but on the other hand it's a fire hose of good, bad and downright deadly.

I grew up in a time when there was no internet and having one landline phone in the house was not something all families had. My home life wasn't good so riding my bicycle to the public library and perusing the stacks was a magical experience. I'm probably not saying anything that hasn't been said on this forum a thousand times. It's just so frustrating seeing variations of this same type of scenario play out over and over again.

SBM
The state I was in at that time only required that I, as a mandated reporter, make a report to my immediate superior. Where it went after that was up to him. I actually had a situation that he was uninterested in so I filed my report with his superior instead. (There was a past history of abuse in that family.) I share this to say that I was in no way required (back then...has it changed?) to report it to authorities. In fact, my superior was adamant that I let my situation go. It still riles me up all these years later. Question: has this changed and does it vary much state to state?

Mandated reporting regulations vary by state. Here are a few links with interesting information:

Mandated Reporting in the US overview Mandatory reporting in the United States - Wikipedia

Georgia's guidelines via Office of the Child Advocate Mandated Reporting | Office of the Child Advocate

Tennessee Dept of Child Services states :

Everyone in Tennessee is a mandated reporter. Tennessee Code Annotated 37-1-403(i) (1) requires all persons to report suspected cases of child abuse or neglect. “Any person who has knowledge of or is called upon to render aid to any child who is suffering from or has sustained any wound, injury, disability, or physical or mental condition shall report such harm immediately if the harm is of such a nature as to reasonably indicate that it has been caused by brutality abuse, or neglect or that, on basis of available information, reasonably appears to have been caused by brutality, abuse, or neglect.”

Failure to report abuse is a violation of the law and a Class A misdemeanor, carrying a sentence of up to three months imprisonment, a fine or both. Those who report and “act in good faith” are immune from any civil or criminal charges, which may result. The reporter has the right to remain confidential and anonymous.

Tennessee Child Abuse Hotline FAQ

Wisconsin Dpt of Children and Families Mandated Child Abuse and Neglect Reporters | Wisconsin Department of Children and Families

Pa Family Support Alliance says:

Mandated reporters are held to a higher standard of responsibility and may receive serious consequences for not reporting suspected abuse. Here is a list of FAQ Mandated Reporters FAQs

NY mandated reporting law:

The current list is at Section 413 of the New York State Social Services Law.Mandated reporters are required to report instances of suspected child abuse or maltreatment only when they are presented with reasonable cause to suspect child abuse or maltreatment in their professional roles.
New York State Office of Children and Family Services (OCFS)

SBM

Mandated reporting regulations vary by state. Here are a few links with interesting information:

Mandated Reporting in the US overview Mandatory reporting in the United States - Wikipedia

Georgia's guidelines via Office of the Child Advocate Mandated Reporting | Office of the Child Advocate

Tennessee Dept of Child Services states :

Everyone in Tennessee is a mandated reporter. Tennessee Code Annotated 37-1-403(i) (1) requires all persons to report suspected cases of child abuse or neglect. “Any person who has knowledge of or is called upon to render aid to any child who is suffering from or has sustained any wound, injury, disability, or physical or mental condition shall report such harm immediately if the harm is of such a nature as to reasonably indicate that it has been caused by brutality abuse, or neglect or that, on basis of available information, reasonably appears to have been caused by brutality, abuse, or neglect.”

Failure to report abuse is a violation of the law and a Class A misdemeanor,

carrying a sentence of up to three months imprisonment, a fine or both.
Those who report and “act in good faith” are immune from any civil or criminal charges, which may result. The reporter has the right to remain confidential and anonymous.

Tennessee Child Abuse Hotline FAQ

Wisconsin Dpt of Children and Families Mandated Child Abuse and Neglect Reporters | Wisconsin Department of Children and Families

Pa Family Support Alliance says:

Mandated reporters are held to a higher standard of responsibility and may receive serious consequences for not reporting suspected abuse. Here is a list of FAQ Mandated Reporters FAQs

NY mandated reporting law:

The current list is at Section 413 of the New York State Social Services Law.Mandated reporters are required to report instances of suspected child abuse or maltreatment only when they are presented with reasonable cause to suspect child abuse or maltreatment in their professional roles.
New York State Office of Children and Family Services (OCFS)

Great information contained here. I didn't read every single word of every single link, but did skim them. I did read GA very carefully, though, and from what I read it is exactly how I remember the guidelines we went by in the state I taught in many years ago. The mandated reporter is required to make the report to the person in charge of the facility in which the child is being schooled or cared for. The person with whom that report is filed, however, MAY go on to pass that report or NOT. I only brought this up today so as to help clear up this fact. Just because authorities were not reported to, does not mean that a teacher did not report suspicions of abuse. A teacher may have but it may have stopped on someone else's desk.

The situation I found myself in would have ended on my superior's desk just like that. In fact, I was told that if I "wanted to make myself feel better" to go ahead and write the report. He told me point blank that he would file it in "the circular file". This situation was a family with a prior abuse citation on a different child and we are talking about visible physical abuse in both cases. So, I wrote that report (in the days where email did not exist yet) and put that report on his desk with a big yellow post it that said "The original copy of this report has been sent to your superior."

My purpose with posting this is to clarify that being a mandated reporter may not always be what most people perceive it to be.

I can’t speak for TN and GA, but here in NC we are ALL mandated reporters and are supposed to call the appropriate authorities if we see or suspect abuse.
I've learned recently that mandatory reporting laws are only as good as the training on how the law in each respective state is suppose to work. I'm thinking of little Lucas Hernandez, age 5 that was a victim at home, and at school when the reports didn't get outside of the school.

I'm so sorry this child didn't have family structure to take care and protect her.

School says it did what it should for Lucas Hernandez. Experts disagree

Great information contained here. I didn't read every single word of every single link, but did skim them. I did read GA very carefully, though, and from what I read it is exactly how I remember the guidelines we went by in the state I taught in many years ago. The mandated reporter is required to make the report to the person in charge of the facility in which the child is being schooled or cared for. The person with whom that report is filed, however, MAY go on to pass that report or NOT. I only brought this up today so as to help clear up this fact. Just because authorities were not reported to, does not mean that a teacher did not report suspicions of abuse. A teacher may have but it may have stopped on someone else's desk.

The situation I found myself in would have ended on my superior's desk just like that. In fact, I was told that if I "wanted to make myself feel better" to go ahead and write the report. He told me point blank that he would file it in "the circular file". This situation was a family with a prior abuse citation on a different child and we are talking about visible physical abuse in both cases. So, I wrote that report (in the days where email did not exist yet) and put that report on his desk with a big yellow post it that said "The original copy of this report has been sent to your superior."

My purpose with posting this is to clarify that being a mandated reporter may not always be what most people perceive it to be.

.... envisioning the big yellow post it note makes me smile :)

I have some thoughts and opinions on mandated reporting but I want to emphasize that
there are more resources available today that can assist in helping the abused whether it be children, elderly, disabled etc. where one can report said abuse directly to dedicated agencies in your area whether it be via email, hotline number, fax, direct upload, etc.

Unfortunately, I think we all have experienced, witnessed, or read about the cracks in these agencies and or processes, but at least the reporter knows their report is getting to the agency if they really want it to.

I'm sure many are familiar with the Penn State child sex abuse scandal where the report of abuse was abhorrently mishandled : Penn State child sex abuse scandal - Wikipedia

Well, if it does turn out that she told someone at her school and they did not report it, then they are in some serious legal trouble.
As far as the charges go, if the Assistant US Attorney is planning on charging BR with taking a minor across state lines for sexual purposes, then I imagine she has good reason to think he is guilty. Imo

When we specifically hear of BR's charges if he did transport SP for his own sexual purposes, many here will be further disgusted.
To me, it appears, this may be correct.
These two men, I hope, will be in Prison for many years.
MOO.

The fact that he watched and kept the tape tells me he had no interest in helping her. And why hide her from the police? I’m sure he manipulated her into being afraid to trust anyone but him - which probably wasn’t too difficult since she’d already been failed by so many.

And just a general thought: when a parent refuses to believe a child who tells them they’re being abused, wouldn’t that “lie” in itself be of concern?? IF a child did make up something so terrible, there would have to be some kind of reason. And with a very young child, how would they even have the knowledge to make it up?

I agree about a young child, reporting these actions.
If it is correct, that SP was molested as a toddler, and for years, this definitely could not have been unknown by others.
We may hear of further charges.
I certainly hope so.
MOO.

RSBM BBM
I did read GA very carefully, though, and from what I read it is exactly how I remember the guidelines we went by in the state I taught in many years ago. The mandated reporter is required to make the report to the person in charge of the facility in which the child is being schooled or cared for. The person with whom that report is filed, however, MAY go on to pass that report or NOT.

So, I wrote that report (in the days where email did not exist yet) and put that report on his desk with a big yellow post it that said "The original copy of this report has been sent to your superior."

I recall early on in the threads, someone asking along the lines of, "What if... something took place at the school in GA, and instead of notifying LE, they held a meeting with the P family? Or just with RP?"

Would that have prompted the P family moving to TN?

Would that have made SLP as frantic as she was in trying to escape?

IMO there needs to be some kind of investigation into the GA details. Everything is an unknown.

Also IMO we need to work on a universal process, followed by all the States. These haphazard laws are allowing vulnerable people to fall through these cracks (more like chasms) by using these differing guidelines.

I recall early on in the threads, someone asking along the lines of, "What if... something took place at the school in GA, and instead of notifying LE, they held a meeting with the P family? Or just with RP?"

Would that have prompted the P family moving to TN?

Would that have made SLP as frantic as she was in trying to escape?

IMO there needs to be some kind of investigation into the GA details. Everything is an unknown.

Also IMO we need to work on a universal process, followed by all the States. These haphazard laws are allowing vulnerable people to fall through these cracks (more like chasms) by using these differing guidelines.
I doubt anything will happen in terms of Georgia. I’m thinking about all the stuff that was missed in other states with the Turpin kids when at least one of them was in public school. Nothing happened with any of that.

Federal prosecutor Julie Pfluger has access to all of the tools to discover anything and everything that can be technically traced to B.D.R. She has the resources to do this.

Ms. Pfluger is one of the assistant U.S. attorneys who will be prosecuting this case. She has had great success with receiving indictments from grand juries.

I am so glad that she will be one of the prosecuting attorneys. I have faith that she will unearth every single fact in this case. She will seek justice for S.P.

She is affiliated with Project Safe Childhood and has prosecuted sex trafficking cases.
Project Safe Childhood

https://www.eventscribe.com/2018/CA...SFJTRkg0NTg5&PresenterID=434041&rnd=0.3735362
"Julie's background and experience have given her the legal and social skills to prosecute cases involving vulnerable victims."
Thank you for that information Zen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member