Found Deceased AZ - Isabel Mercedes Celis, 6, Tucson, 20 April 2012 *Arrest* #26

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

I had read Christopher Clements latest court date was today. I’ve searched online and found nothing regarding this so far. Does anyone have any info on whether he appeared at court today and what happened?

Thanks
This article from the local NBC affiliate is the only recent article I found on Twitter. It says nothing at all. I will ask Caitlin Schmidt later today and see if she knows what's up. She covers the courts for the Arizona Daily Star.

Man accused in killing of Tucson girls to appear in court Monday

This article from the local NBC affiliate is the only recent article I found on Twitter. It says nothing at all. I will ask Caitlin Schmidt later today and see if she knows what's up. She covers the courts for the Arizona Daily Star.

Man accused in killing of Tucson girls to appear in court Monday

@caitlincschmidt
do you know whether Christopher Clements appeared in court yesterday on the Isabel Celis/Maribel Gonzales murder cases? Don't see any local articles about it, and I don't watch TV news.

Caitlin Schmidt
@caitlincschmidt

He did. It was a status conference and pretty uneventful, so we opted not to write it up. He has another status conference on Feb. 11 and the state has to provide notice by Jan. 24 if they intend to pursue the death penalty. [BBM]

11:01 AM · Nov 20, 2018 · TweetDeck

@caitlincschmidt
do you know whether Christopher Clements appeared in court yesterday on the Isabel Celis/Maribel Gonzales murder cases? Don't see any local articles about it, and I don't watch TV news.

Caitlin Schmidt
@caitlincschmidt

He did. It was a status conference and pretty uneventful, so we opted not to write it up. He has another status conference on Feb. 11 and the state has to provide notice by Jan. 24 if they intend to pursue the death penalty. [BBM]

11:01 AM · Nov 20, 2018 · TweetDeck

When CC was first arrested I believed then this would become death penalty cases. I still believe the prosecutor will ask for the death penalty option.

I think his two assigned attorneys are death penalty qualified attorneys.

Imo the judge when he assigned these attorneys already knew this would likely wind up a death penalty case.

He deserves nothing less than the harshest punishment allowed under Arizona state criminal law. He truly is the worst of the worst.

I just hope the FBI is continuing to investigate this career pedophile to see how many victims he has defiled whether the victims are dead or alive or remain missing in the states/cities he lived in since a teen.

He didnt just start kidnapping innocent victims in 2012 when he kidnapped beautiful Isa.

Jmo

Prosecutors want more time to consider death penalty in killing of Tucson girls

Jan 18, 2019

"The Pima County Attorney's Office has asked for more time to consider the death penalty in the case of a man accused of killing two Tucson girls.

Christopher Matthew Clements, 36, was arrested in September in connection with the slayings of 6-year-old Isabel Celis and 13-year-old Maribel Gonzalez....

The county attorney's office initially had until Nov. 24 to provide notice if they wished to pursue the death penalty, but requested an extension until Jan. 25.

On Monday, they asked for a second extension, requesting an additional 60 days to make a decision.

Judge Deborah Bernini granted the request Wednesday. The state now has until March 25 to provide notice...."

Prosecutors want more time to consider death penalty in killing of Tucson girls
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Monday, February 11th:
*Status Hearing (@ pm PT) – AZ – Isabel Mercedes Celis (6) (April 21, 2012, Tucson, found Mar. 3, 2017, Id’ed Mar. 31, 2017) & Maribel Victoria Gonzales (13) (June 4, 2014, Tucson, found June 6, 2014, id’ed June 20, 2014) – *Christopher Matthew Clements (36) indicted (9/15/18) & arraigned (9/24/18) with 2 counts of 1st degree murder, 2 counts of kidnapping a minor under 15, 2 counts of 2nd degree burglary, 1 count of theft by controlling stolen property, 1 count of trafficking in stolen property & 14 counts of sexual exploitation of minors. Plead not guilty. $2M cash only bond.
9/15/18 Update: Made 1st appearance on 9/15/18. Was extradited (9/23/18) from Maricopa County to Tucson where he was in jail for criminal charges for burglary, theft & fraud. Arraignment hearing on 9/24. 9/24: Plead not guilty. Next hearing on 11/19. 10/8: Clements asks for new attorney. Judge will decide who will represent him on 10/11.
10/11/18 Update: Clements was appointed 2 new attorneys. Next hearing 11/19. 11/3/18: DA has until 1/24/19 to decide whether they will seek DP. 11/19/18: Next Status hearing on 2/11. DA will provide notice by 1/24/19 if he will seek DP.

1/18/19 Update: The Pima County Attorney's Office has asked for more time to consider the death penalty. Granted by Judge. Have until 3/25/19 to provide notice.

Christopher Matthew Clements pleaded not guilty in September to charges stemming from the deaths of 6-year-old Isabel Celis and 13-year-old Maribel Gonzalez.

Celis disappeared in April 2012 and her remains were found nearly five years later. Gonzalez’s body was found in June 2014 in the same remote desert area three days after she was reported missing.

Prosecutors say Clements lived about two miles (3.2 kilometers) from Celis’ home when the girl disappeared. bbm

The Pima County Attorney’s Office has filed notice that they would be pursuing the death penalty in the case.

Death penalty sought for man accused of killing Tucson girls

By Tucson News Now | February 11, 2019 at 11:41 AM MST - Updated February 11 at 5:49 PM

TUCSON, AZ (KOLD News 13) - Arizona will seek the death penalty for Christopher Matthew Clements, the man accused of killing Isabel Celis and Maribel Victoria Gonzales.

According to a spokeswoman at Pima County Superior Court, the judge will be issuing a notice specific to this filing in the next week or so.

Clements is facing 22 felony charges, including two counts of first-degree murder.

Celis was 6 years old when she vanished from her parents’ east-side home in April 2012. Just two years later, a 13-year-old Gonzales disappeared while walking to a friend’s house.

Both girls were found dead near Trico and West Avra Valley roads.
State to seek death penalty for man accused of killing Isabel Celis and Maribel Gonzales

Christopher Clements, 36, was indicted in September in connection with the deaths of 6-year-old Isabel Celis and 13-year-old Maribel Gonzalez. He’s facing 22 related charges, including two counts of first-degree murder and two counts of kidnapping.

Isabel was taken from her bedroom in April 2012, shortly after Clements was released from prison on federal charges. Court records show he was living about 2 miles from Isabel’s home when she was abducted.

Clements was arrested on unrelated burglary charges five months later and released on bail. His case was still playing out in court in June 2014, when Maribel was reported missing. She had left her house to visit a friend, but never made it there. Her body was found in a desert area three days later.
State to seek death penalty for man accused of killing 2 Tucson girls

On Friday, the county attorney's office filed notice that they would be pursuing the death penalty, according to court records.

In court Monday, Judge Deborah Bernini said she would be drafting up a document to address pre-screenings, which includes an IQ screen.

"We don't take five years to try death penalty cases here like they typically do in Phoenix," Bernini told Clements' lawyers, Eric Kessler and Joseph DiRoberto, adding that she wanted to give them adequate time to file an objection to the pre-screening.

Monday's hearing addressed several other items, including the state's motion to appoint a special master to review recordings of dozens of recorded jail phone calls between Clements and Tucson attorney John Kaufmann, who represented Clements in a 2012 case. In December 2016, Kaufmann withdrew as Clements' lawyer, but a review by Tucson Police Department detectives of phone numbers associated with Clements showed multiple calls to Kauffman's home.

Tucson police have three such recordings, but have not yet received the other 24 from Maricopa County jail officials, Mosher said in court.

Clements' lawyers objected to the motion, but Bernini granted the state's request, saying she'd approach several retired judges about acting as a special master in the case.

Clements' next hearing is scheduled for April 15.

Man accused of killing 2 Tucson girls to face death penalty

I had some personal problems so I didn't check WS for months, I can't believe they finally arrested someone.
This CC is a monster, I have no words. I hope they will get enough info from him to close other cases.
Poor beautiful Isa, I'm so devastated thinking what happened to her. Her poor family.
Same goes for Maribel even though I didn't know about her case.
I was losing hope with this case, glad this monster won't be able to hurt again.

I may have missed or forgotten it but did it ever come out about how this monster was able to gain access to Isabel without being seen on the security camera?
That's what I was wondering. How did he accomplish this? How did he know there was a little girl in that room? Was he peeping through windows or did the family know him and he saw her before this??

That's what I was wondering. How did he accomplish this? How did he know there was a little girl in that room? Was he peeping through windows or did the family know him and he saw her before this??

Wasn't it reported that he went to their house asking to buy the old car?
I'm curious to know how he managed to remove a screen and kidnap a child and not make a noise to wake someone up :( Obviously he didn't happen to pass by and enter, he had to be stalking them and observe what they did. I feel sick just writing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288