Found Safe TN - SLP, 14, Madisonville, Monroe County, 13 Jan 2019 #5 *ARRESTS*

Status
Not open for further replies.
from page 9 same document
snipped
the plan was to "attempt to video record the next time her adoptive father raped her"

Well well well, they are saying he is aware of a prior recording the way I read this and came up with a plan to do another recording... Is this how others are reading this? OMG this is terrible IMO (he knew he was subjecting her to another rape to be recorded) - this poor child. JMO

ETA: the word "show" on page 8 implies to me it's a video not an audio - otherwise, why not say listen to the recording? I think there is a lot of backtracking going on IMO.

Oh! I wonder if it was this first audio recording that was referenced in the complaint - if THIS is the one that he said he never sent to LE because it wouldn't stand up in court.

The defense document says:

KV can be heard talking to her adoptive father, trying to elicit an admission about the rapes. Her adoptive father can be heard talking about their “encounters,” but he never directly admits to sexually abusing KV. She did mention that she was afraid of him, but he replied (with words to the effect) that if KV chose to go off with someone else, he would no longer force himself on her.

This actually makes sense, and works towards clearing up the perceived contradiction of him saying he never sent the recording vs. delivering it to the FBI. Two different recordings. One, audio only, where RP does not confess, and one that is the 'clear and strong' evidence that they discussed.

Because he had a different plan and it was not what he envisioned. I doubt if telling LE was in the original plan he had

Yeah, I don't know. I'm not buying into his story, really, and I don't know what the plan actually was. The mailing to the FBI is interesting, but did it tell the FBI where she was? Or did the letter have any plan to turn her over to authorities?

from page 9 same document
snipped
the plan was to "attempt to video record the next time her adoptive father raped her"

Well well well, they are saying he is aware of a prior recording the way I read this and came up with a plan to do another recording... Is this how others are reading this? OMG this is terrible IMO (he knew he was subjecting her to another rape to be recorded) - this poor child. JMO

ETA: the word "show" on page 8 implies to me it's a video not an audio - otherwise, why not say listen to the recording? I think there is a lot of backtracking going on IMO.
That's why I'm asking if there was a prior video (the blurry one) or if "Show them the recording you got earlier" is in reference to the audio recording. (Which doesn't make much sense since you don't show someone an audio recording - you would play it for them or let them listen to it.)

Good grief, I just noticed your ETA and realized we're saying the same thing. :p

MOO

Oh! I wonder if it was this first audio recording that was referenced in the complaint - if THIS is the one that he said he never sent to LE because it wouldn't stand up in court.

The defense document says:

KV can be heard talking to her adoptive father, trying to elicit an admission about the rapes. Her adoptive father can be heard talking about their “encounters,” but he never directly admits to sexually abusing KV. She did mention that she was afraid of him, but he replied (with words to the effect) that if KV chose to go off with someone else, he would no longer force himself on her.

This actually makes sense, and works towards clearing up the perceived contradiction of him saying he never sent the recording vs. delivering it to the FBI. Two different recordings. One, audio only, where RP does not confess, and one that is the 'clear and strong' evidence that they discussed.
an audio recording wouldn't be "blurry" - I know I read that somewhere... let me look
ETA: link -
Stranger Offered To Help Teen Raped By Her Dad, Only If She Recorded It
snipped
He claimed he didn't alert police about the alleged sexual abuse or turn over the video to authorities, the affidavit says, because he thought it was blurry and would not hold up in court.

an audio recording wouldn't be "blurry" - I know I read that somewhere... let me look

Thank you! I was looking for it earlier and came up with nothing.

I keep thinking that if she recorded the conversation with RP, that she likely used the video feature on her phone, but put the phone down somewhere so it only picked up audio.

Technically still a video, but with audio only content.

But I will admit that I am basing that only on my ham fisted attempts to use my phone, so... there's that.

Or she would be in the hands of perhaps a monster- from where I am looking at things, I think he was a reluctant hero- he tried to advise her, but she didn't want to do anything he recommended because she was just plain scared of RP and needed to get away from him as fast and as soon as possible. We also need to remember that her sicko step dad is a felon and had enough guns around the house to make anyone nervous. It upsets me that he allegedly shot and skinned one of her dogs- a clear message, in my eyes, that she better behave, or else.........

I re-read that conversation several times. I really think he was reluctant, but when he realized that she was going to commit suicide because every other option was a no go in her mind, he felt he had to do something to help her.

I truly believe that she probably would have been sent home again, if this evidence wasn't present. We don't know how close a hospital is to their new home- it could be miles- how would a secluded 14 year old girl, new in town, home schooled, get to the hospital on her own? Who could she trust to bring her there without asking questions? She was all be herself, with just her online gaming and internet.

Except the defense presented their best evidence in that memorandum. And it's the complete reverse. He tried hard to convince her that the ONLY way she could escape and not be sent back is if she recorded herself being raped and sent it to him.

It was not until after she continually said she could not bring herself to do it and would kill herself or run away if he didn't help her, that he then reluctantly (IMO) said, "well then run to a friend's house. Hope for the best." Etc.

There is zero excuse for not immediately calling the police and asking for help for this child. IMO it's utter nonsense. She didn't need to produce child *advertiser censored* for him and be transported across state lines by a fully grown man she met online, in order to be rescued.

He had their entire damn conversation where she described the abuse, in writing.

One call.

Is there any chance there's more than one video? This is from page 8 - BBM:

Bryan: Just do not kill yourself
KV if you know someone else you can run away to, do that instead
Show them the recording you got earlier. That at least will give them reason to hide you
KV: Bryan plz don’t leave me like this…
My friends will eventually rat me out to the cops

And also from page 8:

Bryan: Then I guess your only option is to run away and show the people you run to the recording and tell them he's sexually abusing you.

Is this the one that's blurry or does this refer to the audio recording? The words "Show them" are throwing me here because this is prior to SLP getting the video that was apparently clear enough to identify RP.
I don't understand how his attorneys can claim there was no "'quid pro quo" from page 5? The way I read the conversation was he couldn't help her if she did not obtain the video recording.
He would help her, he said, but on one condition: She would have to record her rape on video and send it to him.

snipped
He claimed he didn't alert police about the alleged sexual abuse or turn over the video to authorities, the affidavit says, because he thought it was blurry and would not hold up in court.

Yep, you are correct, I just went back and re-read that page of the complaint, and it does state blurry video. Thank you!

That inconsistency between his statement and his purported actions is really bothersome to me, I got over excited at the idea of it being cleared up.

Yeah, I don't know. I'm not buying into his story, really, and I don't know what the plan actually was. The mailing to the FBI is interesting, but did it tell the FBI where she was? Or did the letter have any plan to turn her over to authorities?
Here is a thought regarding the late mailing to the FBI - what if she was getting wary of him and wondered why this very important video had not yet been turned over to the authorities? I will be very interested to see if the prosecution has the package/envelope allegedly mailed to the FBI....and what was in it really. I'm still upset he kept the video on his computer. I think there is a purpose to that. otherwise, delete it IMO.

Except the defense presented their best evidence in that memorandum. And it's the complete reverse. He tried hard to convince her that the ONLY way she could escape and not be sent back is if she recorded herself being raped and sent it to him.

It was not until after she continually said she could not bring herself to do it and would kill herself or run away if he didn't help her, that he then reluctantly (IMO) said, "well then run to a friend's house. Hope for the best." Etc.

There is zero excuse for not immediately calling the police and asking for help for this child. IMO it's utter nonsense. She didn't need to produce child *advertiser censored* for him and be transported across state lines by a fully grown man she met online, in order to be rescued.

He had their entire damn conversation where she described the abuse, in writing.

One call.
I agree. I can't wait to see what else was uncovered on the electronics and in the basement. IMO

Could a missing piece of the puzzle be that “because it was blurry” they felt it didn’t totally speak for itself, and that’s why she wrote that six-page document describing what her life has been like? And perhaps the time it took for her to force herself to write that accounted for some of the two week delay?

Again, that all seems like an incredibly and suspiciously circuitous route to help this child when one call would've done the same without the risk:"I have a child online here who told me she's being raped and molested for 12 years and is about to kill herself if I don't go get her. This is an emergency. I have it in writing. He's threatened her life so she's terrified to speak. Help her."

Boom.

One call.

I really truly hear what you are saying! I was there after reading the original complaint. Then more information dribbled out to make my thoughts change. Again. To soften my anger at him insisting she video another attack. Which was coming, whether SLP videoed the attack, or not. Think about what she had already faced. About what she continued to face in that house.

That is where I've been since yesterday. Will the court proceedings at 2pm change my view once more? I don't know.

Here is a thought regarding the late mailing to the FBI - what if she was getting wary of him and wondered why this very important video had not yet been turned over to the authorities? I will be very interested to see if the prosecution has the package/envelope allegedly mailed to the FBI....and what was in it really. I'm still upset he kept the video on his computer. I think there is a purpose to that. otherwise, delete it IMO.

It's interesting that the package to the FBI (supposedly) contained her letter, two recordings with/of her step-father, and then a recording letting her parents know she was OK. No indication of her whereabouts, and in fact, efforts were made to hide that. Was his thinking that the evidence would enable the FBI to arrest the step-father, satisfy her mother that she was OK, and then she would continue to stay with him? If the FBI hadn't come 'round, I wonder what Phase II of the plan was going to be.

Last edited:
I am reposting my old post to underline the gray areas of the law and the mitigating factors which I believed (and still do) speak to why this particular law firm chose to represent B.D.R.

Marcus J. Berghahn.

I have no doubt that Mr. Berghahn contacted B.D.R. because this case could set a precedent. In my opinion, this case does contain "gray areas" of the law.

Information is now being available that is highlighting what I believe will illustrate the "gray areas" in this case. We were not privy to any of this information before now.

The possibility of gray areas and mitigating factors were the reasons which I, and others on this thread, felt that this would turn out to be an interesting case.
Bumping this post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members