Found Deceased CA - Paul Miller, 51, Canadian missing in Joshua Tree Natl Park, San Bernardino Co., 13 Jul 2018 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been away from WS for a short while but came back to bump a few special threads. Always great to have new eyes and new help here. Remember that Paul lives in Canada and was not an "avid" hiker back home nor very experienced with the trails around JT. But he did have that coyote tattoo...

Clearly, we're not out of ideas (and hope) yet!

I've been away from WS for a short while but came back to bump a few special threads. Always great to have new eyes and new help here. Remember that Paul lives in Canada and was not an "avid" hiker back home nor very experienced with the trails around JT. But he did have that coyote tattoo...

Clearly, we're not out of ideas (and hope) yet!
Though family and friends have reported to MSM that he was an avid hiker.

Missing Without a Trace: Family, friends of Canadian hiker Paul Miller hold tight to hope he's alive in Joshua Tree

“It’s hard to not have hope,” family friend Ainsley Otten, of Guelph, Ontario, said Saturday morning in an exclusive interview with The Desert Sun. “We’re very, very puzzled and heartbroken.”

An avid hiker from Guelph, Miller, 51, and his wife were vacationing in the desert last week in celebration of their 26th wedding anniversary.

ugh, you're right, sorry all - it has been quoted that Paul is an "avid" hiker after all.

ugh, you're right, sorry all - it has been quoted that Paul is an "avid" hiker after all.
We have had tons of discussion on this though, to your point. The way he was dressed (or not dressed) when he went on this hike, seems to some of us to indicate a lack of experience. At least in the desert. JMO

We have had tons of discussion on this though, to your point. The way he was dressed (or not dressed) when he went on this hike, seems to some of us to indicate a lack of experience. At least in the desert. JMO
I always wear black when I travel because travel is messy. Black doesn't show the mess. He probably didn't intend to be out longer than to get a couple pics.

I always wear black when I travel because travel is messy. Black doesn't show the mess. He probably didn't intend to be out longer than to get a couple pics.
True...possible he underestimated the heat factor and the distance. I'm not blaming him. Maybe all his other clothes were packed.

It seems he loved hiking as much as photography, as they hiked many parks before arriving in JTNP.

If he was an avid hiker, or even an avid photographer - in the desert, in July... well, were he "avid" and this was an innocent hike or picture trek - IN THE DESERT, IN JULY - he would not have worn black. (For starters... you know, if he was really an avid hiker...)

I am not sure what happened, he may indeed have perished out there, but if everything is as has been reported, then, well, perhaps not. Those who love him deserve to know what happened. And those who didn't know him may benefit from whatever we can learn from this situation...

IMO.

If he was an avid hiker, or even an avid photographer - in the desert, in July... well, were he "avid" and this was an innocent hike or picture trek - IN THE DESERT, IN JULY - he would not have worn black. (For starters... you know, if he was really an avid hiker...)

I am not sure what happened, he may indeed have perished out there, but if everything is as has been reported, then, well, perhaps not. Those who love him deserve to know what happened. And those who didn't know him may benefit from whatever we can learn from this situation...

IMO.
It's my opinion avid hiker often refers to the joy of doing something, as well as perhaps the amount of time one spends doing it. A friend of mine was once called an avid horseback rider, because she stated she loved to be around horses. She did ride, occasionally but not well at all.

I agree, avid should refer to one's skill level at something. Seems Paul enjoyed hiking and photography. However, that doesn't necessarily mean he knew how to prepare to hike in all climates and terrain. All jmo

This video has been shared on this thread before. The renewed interest in Paul's choice of hiking attire reminded me about it.
My intention is NOT to reinvigorate a discussion about a hiker's chosen attire, or defend any particular theory/speculation. I feel that he will eventually be found near the trail, IMO.
All along, the boulders near the spot where he parked his car have always interested me. It's just my feeling that he may have explored that area on his way back to the car.

Maybe it's just me, but I had the impression that the 49 Palms trail was a death trap, that you are risking life and limb to even attempt it anytime during the summer, and even in the winter, it can be treacherous and life threatening. And, to attempt it with exposed skin and wearing dark attire was inviting a quick descent into heat stroke and/or death.

The video was posted to YouTube in April 2018, and I'm assuming it was shot in winter or spring. They arrive in the afternoon (hottest part of the day) and there's a thermometer reading about 80 degrees F. Of course, Paul disappeared in the summer, during morning hours, when temps can already be in the 90s. So, that may chip away at the relevance (if any) of my observations.

A couple of things in this video that, IMO, have me questioning my perceptions about how dangerous this trail is:

The YouTuber has a channel dedicated to traveling and hiking.
  • The female hiker is wearing black leggings and a black tank top. At one point, she mentions that the hike is so easy, she's wearing her sneakers. The male is wearing a dark maroon T shirt and dark shorts.
  • On the approach to the Oasis, they pass a family enjoying themselves, maybe having a picnic? There are young children present, some with exposed skin.
  • Although there are parts of the trail with steep elevation, I would categorize a major portion of this as a "walk" on a well-marked, easy to navigate path.
  • Maybe they have an extra supply in their backpacks, but neither seems to have copious amounts of water at hand.
  • The Oasis is visible from about a mile out.
I'm sure my observations/new way of thinking about the trail mean little in the whole scheme of things, and won't help find Paul, but I'm sharing these thoughts because this video gave me an entirely new perspective. Anyone else?
IMO MOO

Interesting article. Tips for clothing choices and sunscreen/ covering up in hot weather.

Hot-Weather Hiking Tips | REI Expert Advice

Fo me, if I'm wearing black or dark blue in the summer I feel it. I go to the beach at the Jersey Shore frequently in the summer and cannot even wear a dark colored bathing suit or cover-up without it making me feel the heat from it. All jmo.

Maybe in Paul's case it wasn't a big deal...short hike, still morning, he had water. On the other hand, if he was rushing due to having to be back, maybe not drinking regularly, had his skin exposed and starting to burn, dark clothes could have just exacerbated the heat effects for him and caused disorientation or who knows what?

I think things like this make for the possibility that his body might not even be in the location it was originally.

I think about this every time it rains out here. This rainy season has been intense. Today was the worst I have ever seen it in the 13.5 years I've lived out here. I've never seen so many roads flooded. I mean like 4-6 feet of water covering some roads and it all happened from rain we got today. In the desert flash flooding is no joke and it's been raging all day. I really hope if he is out there he will be uncovered from the rains and flooding, but I don't know if we'll even know what happened.

I think about this every time it rains out here. This rainy season has been intense. Today was the worst I have ever seen it in the 13.5 years I've lived out here. I've never seen so many roads flooded. I mean like 4-6 feet of water covering some roads and it all happened from rain we got today. In the desert flash flooding is no joke and it's been raging all day. I really hope if he is out there he will be uncovered from the rains and flooding, but I don't know if we'll even know what happened.
True. Heavy rains and rushing water in the washes maybe would uncover him, or move him to a spot where he could be seen. Hopeful for that. It's been so long with no Paul. No clues, no evidence. Nada.

Not sure if already posted. But another way to catch up and also bump this thread for Paul.

Paul Miller - Strange disappearances from U.S. national Parks

According to the NPS "The 49 Palms Oasis Trail offers a three-mile round-trip hike to a fan palm oasis. It requires two to three hours and is rated moderately-strenuous, ascending about 300 feet each way. This well-maintained trail climbs to a ridge where large numbers of barrel cacti dot the landscape. After winding around the ridge top, the trail descends steeply to the oasis located in a rocky canyon. Towering palms create a canopy over clear pools of water. Large boulders provide a place to rest and enjoy the sights and sounds of this small ecosystem." George Land from the park said “It’s not a real difficult trail. You go in and come out the same way. However, it is a little bit of a rigorous trail.”

Last edited:
It would be interesting to see the other pictures he had taken on previous hikes. It would give an idea of what kind of terrain he was used to and what kind of risks he might take to get a perfect photo. I would think pictures of bighorn sheep would require special camera gear that allows the pictures to be taken from a far distance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam