Found Safe TN - SLP, 14, Madisonville, Monroe County, 13 Jan 2019 #5 *ARRESTS*

Status
Not open for further replies.
No matter what?
NO MATTER WHAT! IMO
There are people who can compartmentalized feelings/thoughts/incidences. He saved her from certain death, at RP's hands or her own. For a 17 day period, for the first time in her collective mind, she was [probably] not being sexually abused. And isn't now. She will always remember him for rescuing her when no one else would. He is her hero, NO MATTER WHAT!!!
IMO

self edit- added the red

Last edited:
How does he know that his gaming buddy is really a 14 year old girl being abused by her stepfather and not an agent seeing what he was going to do? Or a guy playing tricks?
He could still in good faith have reported it to LE. Then let them sort it out if the plea turned out to be fraudulent. If there was any chance the plea was real, I think most well-intended adults would err on the side of caution and contact LE immediately.

How does he know that his gaming buddy is really a 14 year old girl being abused by her stepfather and not an agent seeing what he was going to do? Or a guy playing tricks?

I can only speak for myself, but *I* would report it and let LE sort it out. I would know I had done my part and LE can deal with wether or not someone is lying about their age. But my conscience would be clear.

Last edited:
It is the legal case that interests me and how it plays out.

I've considered that had S.P. not left the home - there was a good possibility that she could have been murdered.

NO MATTER WHAT! IMO
There are people who can compartmentalized feelings/thoughts/incidences. He saved her from certain death, at RP's hands or her own. For a 17 day period, for the first time in her collective mind, she was not being sexually abused. And isn't now. She will always remember him for rescuing her when no one else would. He is her hero, NO MATTER WHAT!!!
IMO

I firmly believe that if BR would not removed her from her home she would have been murdered or killed herself. I know we all do not agree on if BR was a hero or a creep but I'm sure we can all agree we are relieved that SP is still alive and hopefully will get therapy and be able to live a good life. God knows she deserves some happiness in her life.

Terrified kids don't delve into discussing their deepest secrets and begging a person who they call by their first name without a lengthy period of conversation and getting comfortable, that are apart from the topic of the site, IMO.

Like, "So what are you into? What movies do you like? What's your name? You seem so cool!"

I feel he groomed her.

I have been thinking about this as best I can from SP's perspective not mine.

It has been suggested that she should have gone to the hospital, told them what happened and asked for a rape kit. I cannot find a hospital in Madisonville, there is one in Sweetwater and in Athens but none listed in Madisonville. Besides, are we expecting her to get up off that bed, literally, pull herself together, leave the house on foot and WALK toward Madisonville, not knowing where she is going? She was moved from Georgia and kept isolated on that farm outside of town. And, she was scared to death of her parents.

It has been suggested that she tell her friends. She had no friends in Tennessee, they were all back in Georgia. She had been on that farm for approximately a month, had not attended school. She was isolated. Where would she make friends?

Some of the solutions or "what she should have done" or what BDR should have done are from folks like me sitting in my safe living room. I haven't walked in her shoes or his either for that matter so I am going to look at this through a more positive lense.

And, I fully expected to get pounded for this point of view. ;)

All your gonna get from me is a great big thank you for this insightful post!

Terrified kids don't delve into discussing their deepest secrets and begging a person who they call by their first name without a lengthy period of conversation and getting comfortable, that are apart from the topic of the site, IMO.

Like, "So what are you into? What movies do you like? What's your name? You seem so cool!"

I feel he groomed her.

Completely agree! How was he able to get that information out of her without asking some really inappropriate questions?

Edited to add this article:
Why most rape victims never acknowledge what happened

Do we have a timeline of when the BT and SP met online? How long had they been talking/messaging?

I have been thinking about this as best I can from SP's perspective not mine.

It has been suggested that she should have gone to the hospital, told them what happened and asked for a rape kit. I cannot find a hospital in Madisonville, there is one in Sweetwater and in Athens but none listed in Madisonville. Besides, are we expecting her to get up off that bed, literally, pull herself together, leave the house on foot and WALK toward Madisonville, not knowing where she is going? She was moved from Georgia and kept isolated on that farm outside of town. And, she was scared to death of her parents.

It has been suggested that she tell her friends. She had no friends in Tennessee, they were all back in Georgia. She had been on that farm for approximately a month, had not attended school. She was isolated. Where would she make friends?

Some of the solutions or "what she should have done" or what BDR should have done are from folks like me sitting in my safe living room. I haven't walked in her shoes or his either for that matter so I am going to look at this through a more positive lense.

And, I fully expected to get pounded for this point of view. ;)

No. It has been suggested that the fully grown, 31 year old adult she was conversing in depth with should've HELPED her to do those things. Any of those things.

Instead of forcing a begging, pleading, terrified teen to create child *advertiser censored* and send it to him and then take a long road trip to get her and transport her out of state, smashing her phones so no one can find her, lying to police about her whereabouts, etc.

His solution was convoluted, illogical, highly risky and bizarre. He could've helped her in countless other ways than to further traunatize her as she begged not to do what he compelled her to do.

Any one of us would've jumped to help this child, leaving the safety of our living rooms behind. And not one darn person here would've done so by compelling her to create child *advertiser censored* and send it to a stranger.

The only way all of what he did- every element of his interactions with this child - makes sense to me is if his motives were impure.

I read the defense memo. Unlike the majority, I do not see this man as a "misguided" hero, although his actions did lead to evidence being generated. Why?

1. What 31 year old converses online with a minor child? I have a major problem with that. They had multiple conversations. Clearly she had developed a trust or friendship with this 31 year old adult in order to get to the point she was willing to reveal abuse to him and beg him for help. What adult man is having such indepth conversations with a minor child on the internet?

2. Yes. He suggested a couple other options in the conversation the defense laid out. But he didn't press those extremely viable options. Like going to the hospital to get a rape kit. He didn't urge her to do so and reassure her that with her word and her rapists' DNA inside her, she'd be rescued by police. To me, he suggested them as other options but he didn't seem serious about those options. He didn't cycle back to them. When she begged for help he didn't continually tell her she'd be safe with those options. What he really pressed was video evidence. He really wanted that video.

3. There was audio that, when coupled with her own words, would've been quite enough for her to go to the police and be rescued. He continued to insist on VIDEO.

4. After receiving the video, he didn't simply call the authorities. "Hey, this child sent me this video of her being raped." He didn't immediately call 911. He told her he wouldn't be in trouble for picking her up if she made a video with evidence. And once she made it, he picked her up. However, that shows he believed it was viable evidence. And it shows he believed that the presence of the video would protect him from legal trouble. In other words, he didn't know asking her to make it would be illegal if he could show he was doing it to help get evidence. So he had no reason not to call 911 immediately and give them what he had gotten her to produce.

5. After receiving the video, he picked her up and took her out of state. He has ZERO reason not to drive her to a local LE department immediately, with the video. Instead, he took her across state lines.

6. He waited over 10 days to send the evidence to LE while harboring this minor in his mother's basement. Why?

7. What's this about him saying the video was too blurry?

I find his actions quite suspect. I don't think he deserves a medal for not sexually assaulting her for the days he had her. He could've been quite happy with just the video e got her to generate. He could've been working up to further exploitation.

If he was an 18 or 19 year old young man his actions might be more excusable to me because they're still at that age when there's this magical divide between adults and kids. Where adults and authorities aren't totally trusted.

But this is a 31 year old man conversing with a minor child online for a lengthy time period and insisting she generate child *advertiser censored* before he can help her.

The reaction here and the fact that he appears not to have assaulted her makes me believe he might indeed prevail in mitigating the charge. But I believe the charge was and is viable and necessary.

Just think of the sordid avenues we would be opening up to child sexual exploitation if a defense to encouraging a child to video and send an adult a recording of herself being assaulted, would be viable, under the auspicies of trying to "gather evidence".

I believe the charge is merited.

Finally, I think @MsFacetious mentioned a kidnapping charge would probably be dropped against BR. I didn't see any kidnapping charge. Only one charge - child exploitation. Am I wrong?
@gitana1 couldn't agree more with your post. I said basically the same things time and again on the last thread, BR doesn't get a free pass just bc he didn't SA SP. I'm grateful if he didn't, but I'm not convinced there wasn't some type of inappropriate action(s).

He still broke the law, coerced a 14 yo to video a rape, transported her across country, hid her in the basement away from Mommy, and then lied when the FBI knocked on his door. Huh?

He's a 31 year old college graduate, he's not some poor 'don't know any better, did the best I could, misunderstood boyo' IMO. He might just think he's smarter than the FBI/LE. o_O

I'll wait for further information to be released from the prosecution's side before I wave the banners and hand BR a medal for his selfless, heroic efforts. Yes, bitter and jaded party of 1. I've seen and been a part of too many child abuse threads. :(

NO MATTER WHAT! IMO
There are people who can compartmentalized feelings/thoughts/incidences. He saved her from certain death, at RP's hands or her own. For a 17 day period, for the first time in her collective mind, she was [probably] not being sexually abused. And isn't now. She will always remember him for rescuing her when no one else would. He is her hero, NO MATTER WHAT!!!
IMO

self edit- added the red

Glad you added the red.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads