Found Deceased IN - Abigail (Abby) Williams, 13, and Liberty (Libby) German, 14/The Delphi Murders 13 Feb 2017 #87

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think you’re probably right about LE getting nowhere. But what info do you think they should release?

I don’t think they need to release information about the cause of death or details of the crime scene unless there is some odd mark or knot used or something that is unique enough that someone might recognize it. Otherwise keep it to themselves.
I see no reason why they can’t release information about how they think the killer left the scene and why they think that. Cars of interest and their description. Outlines of interviews with certain people.
Tell us what they have ruled out and why. “We went to Bicycle Road because XYZ but found nothing.” “We checked the slaughterhouse...” “We followed a lead...”. At least show us you’re competent.
Show us a slightly longer video clip of BG walking. If possible, let us hear a little more of the audio. If you can’t do these things, explain why you can’t. Perhaps give us an outline of part of the video “At 2:33 BG arrives at the end of the bridge...”. We don’t need to hear about it all.
Tell us people who have been named in the media(DN, TB, etc)that have been cleared.
We all know they shouldn’t release everything, but the public can’t help them if they never release any info.

From what I have read & understand, if the families hire a PI, LE does not have to share any info with said PI, correct?
I had been hoping they’d hire one, but after reading that info, I was disheartened :(
MOO

I hope that’s not true. If it is I would hope LE would want to help, but they probably wouldn’t here.They could still keep some things to themselves.

Although no one has yet been arrested for the slayings, Carroll County Prosecutor Nicholas McLeland said he hopes people won’t get discouraged or lose hope that the case will be solved and that someone will be brought to justice.

The former defense and family attorney took office in January 2018. He said he has enjoyed the job for the most part, but the case of the girls is always on his mind.

“This case stresses me out,” he said, adding he feels the same way about the house arson that took the lives of four young girls in Flora in November 2016. “I want to get somebody caught and somebody arrested.”

He is insistent that neither is a cold case. And he said many people are working to bring those who killed the girls to justice.

“Right now, it’s still a very open investigation,” he said specifically about the Libby and Abby case. “People have asked if it’s a cold case and it’s not. We have the Indiana State Police, FBI, local law enforcement agencies and analysts who are not local still working on things. We still have the cooperation of all agencies that were here in the beginning.”

Carroll County prosecutor plans to keep Delphi teen girls’ homicides in the public eye

If you think you have information about the case, call the toll-free tip line at 844-459-5786. You can also email information to abbyandlibbytip@cacoshrf.com

This article confirms there is still a reward of $250,000.

I’m glad to see him mention the Flora Fire as well.

(Which btw this is the second time I’m searching for the WS thread on that and can’t find it.

Article from 2017:
One year later, what we know about fatal Flora fire )

i'm getting the feeling that they're really backing off thinking the sketch accurately represents the person they're looking for, like maybe it isn't as close as they originally thought.
"This was solely isolated to these individuals involved. There was no factual information to believe we were dealing with an ongoing situation with someone out there in the community. I still feel the community is safe." Tobe Lezenby

Maybe they never thought the sketch was accurate...

I don’t know what to think about the case after the press conference today. I wonder how many tips will come in going forward considering the appeal for tips wasn’t effective in my opinion. It was basically phone or email with a good quality tip. If you had no prior knowledge of the case how would you know if you had information that was useful or not?

I don’t know why they didn’t say call in if you saw this man in Delphi, Indiana or surrounding areas on the 13 of February 2017 or in the days prior or after. The sketch, photo and audio of “down the hill” was forgotten about. It is so confusing.

There are few online news articles tonight after the press conference because there was very sadly nothing new to report.

Last edited:
I don’t know what to think about the case after the press conference today. I wonder how many tips will come in going forward considering the appeal for tips wasn’t effective in my opinion. It was basically phone or email with a good quality tip. If you had no prior knowledge of the case how would you know if you had information that was useful or not?

I don’t know why they didn’t say call in if you saw this man in Delphi, Indiana or surrounding areas on the 13 of February 2017 or in the days prior or after. The sketch, photo and audio of “down the hill” was forgotten about. It is so confusing.

There are few online news articles tonight after the press conference because there was very sadly nothing new to report.
I think they know who did it and are putting their ducks in a row for an arrest. I don't think it will be much longer. moo

Screenshot from live presser. What is good tip? They listed it out. They have had over 35,000 tips.

20190213_134531-jpg.169015

20190213_134731-jpg.169017

Source..photo from TV, hln

Thank you for posting these, dixiegirl1035.

PC Notes

New prosecutor, unified command
Protect case, integrity of case, be patient
38,000 tips, expect more today
If you see something, say something, need the missing piece
Shows chart on a good tip, name, identifiers, last known address, frequent places, ties to Delphi
Don't do side by side photos
Still working on all leads, confident to get it solved
Thanks families

Sgt Riley, use email not phones
(Questions...can't hear, wish they would give them mics!)
Reward is still there
Hoping one day they can show their complete hand as technology gets better
Doesn't think it will take 30 yrs like April Tinsley
FBI has been a huge help
Forward info but don't do analogy
If you are watching, we are coming

Nothing new at all so far...

Thank you, BUF.

From above:

“Hoping one day they can show their complete hand as technology gets better
Doesn't think it will take 30 yrs like April Tinsley“

Wow, marking this quote to reflect on...

I took notes throughout the press conference. A summary of what they covered would be that this is not a closed case; everyone is completely dedicated to solving this case and they believe it will be solved; they need the public to keep sending tips, no matter how small; they can't comment on any specifics of the case because they must protect the integrity of the investigation.

Unfortunately, not one new piece of information was given. As other people said, they didn't even show the BG photo, the sketch, or play the audio clip.

They began the presser with a prayer asking for strength, answers and guidance.

They had representatives from state and local law enforcement and the FBI. The chief speaker was newly-elected Carroll County prosecutor Nicholas McLeland.

Some snips beyond the list of what makes a good tip that dixiegirl provided:

The case has affected the community in so many ways. Abby and Libby deserve justice.

LE is also still working on the unsolved case of 4 children killed by arson fire that occurred before Abby and Libby case.

Have received over 38,000 tips and LE follows up on all of them. They currently get about 12 tips per day, but they expect the presser will increase the volume of tips.

The FBI has brought extraordinary technology and resources to the investigation.

They asked that people quit doing side-by-side comparisons of the BG sketch and other people on social media. If you suspect something, send it to LE.

They prefer tips by email at abbyandlibbytip@cacoshrf.com. You can also call in a tip, although calls are less preferable to LE, at 847-459-5786.

There was a Q and A, but none of the questions were miked and the people answering didn't repeat the questions. Still, it was obvious by the answers that most questions were about specifics of the case. To protect the integrity of the one-day prosecution of this case, no answers were given to questions asking about case specifics.

"We don't believe this will be another April Tinsley case. We don't believe the family will be waiting for 30 years for answers."

An update Wednesday on the now-two-year-old murders of two Carroll County girls, Liberty German and Abigail Williams, gave little information suggesting authorities are any closer to catching the killer.

Delphi Murders: Unsolved After Two Years; Authorities Not Saying Much

Thank you everyone for the updates.

—-

“Newly-elected county prosecutor Nick McLeland was tight-lipped about the case. Though he outlined information that could be included in what he’d consider a “good” tip, McLeland declined to comment on how many of the more than 38,000 tips received in the last 24 months meet the threshold.“

delphi-murders-update.jpg

Carroll County Prosecutor Nick McLeland (left) gave little new information on Wednesday, the two-year anniversary of the murders of Abby Williams and Libby German.
Stan Jastrzebski/WBAA News

Delphi Murders: Unsolved After Two Years; Authorities Not Saying Much

—-

Replay: Press conference on Delphi murders investigation

Last edited:
Two Indiana teens were killed in 2017. Police still get at least a dozen tips a day
CNN
Wed February 13, 2019
https://www-m.cnn.com/2019/02/13/us/delphi-indiana-teenagers/index.html?r=https://www.google.com/

“HLN is producing an hourlong live special to air this Friday, the week of the second anniversary of the Delphi murders in Indiana. Anchor Susan Hendricks went to Delphi to talk to law enforcement and family members of the girls. The special will air at 2 p.m. ET, anchored by Susan and Mike Galanos.”

Snip

“McLeland and other authorities spoke at a press conference on Wednesday in an attempt to keep Abby and Libby in the news and get more tips.
"We anticipate more tips coming in after today's conference and we're prepared for that," he said. "We have detectives, officers, and analysts working on the tips and investigating all possible evidence from these tips."“

Delphi community trying to heal 2 years after murders of Abby Williams and Libby German

“Abby and Libby’s murder has forever changed the small city of Delphi, but their memory is not forgotten.“

—-

Inside Edition:
The Delphi Murders: Everything We Know About Case of Abby Williams and Libby German

Delphi Murders: The investigation two years later
Posted: 11:28 PM, Feb 12, 2019 Updated: 1:09 PM, Feb 13, 2019

—-

Answers remain elusive 2 years after murders of Abby Williams and Libby German in Delphi

““We want to encourage people to continue to call in with any information that they may have. I always use the adage of, ‘if you see something, say something.’ Nothing is going to be considered a ‘dumb tip’ or a tip that we don’t want. Information is our main weapon here,” he said.”

—-

Investigators affirm dedication to finding Abby and Libby's murder

abby+and+libby1.PNG

“Liberty’s grandfather Mike Patty attended the press conference.

“I was supposed to be teaching her how to drive right now,” he said. Liberty would have been 16 this year. “There are so many things that I won’t get to do for her now.”

Carroll County Prosecutor Nick McLeland said he is very confident they will catch the person responsible. However he did not share any specifics about the case.“

Snip

“McLeland said investigators are dedicating their lives to find justice for Abby and Libby and their families.“

—-

Libby & Abby's families still believe ‘Today is the Day’

““We keep saying we know that God has got this and every day we wake up and say the same thing — almost two years later, we are still saying the same thing,” Anna Williams, Abby's mother, said.

“I never thought I’d be here… not after two years,” Anna said. “We’re tired and we’re frustrated and we’re angry and we just want to find this guy.”“

Snip

““Do you realize how many people we run across now that have forgotten,” Becky said. “(They say) ‘Oh, I thought he was caught.’”

For Libby.

For Abby.

All they need is one tip.

“Our job, our task, is to keep it out there and maybe contact that one person that says ‘Oh, yeah, I do remember that I do work with that guy’ and will call that in,” Mike said. “Somebody knows this guy, somewhere. Somebody knows him. He lives down the hall, down the road, down the street from somebody.”“

—-

Delphi, Indiana murders: 2 years later, lead investigator updates case
Wednesday, February 13, 2019

“"You know we're all frustrated and we do have our days. But. At the end of the day you have to put all that aside and say what why. Why are we here. We're here to find out who's responsible for this heinous crime. We're here to get justice for Abby and Libby. And that's that's what keeps us going," lead investigator Jerry Holeman told WRTV.“

Snip

“When it comes to the case, Holeman said they get new tips in every day and it's not only the new tips that detectives are looking at.

"We're going to exhaust all investigative leads on this tip and then we might circle back around and look at it again and we might circle back around look at it again," he said.“

Last edited:
I have a thought on the DNA:

Perhaps they have a minute sample that testing it would compromise the whole sample. And if they run it but don’t get a hit, their chances are lost forever. Therefore they are waiting until technology improves in that manner.

Screenshot from live presser. What is good tip? They listed it out. They have had over 35,000 tips.
The press conference left me unsettled honestly. So many things wrong and what is this issue with social media?
Where was the picture of the killer? Why didn't they play the voice?
I am a bit tired and will type more tomorrow but I do feel the D.A. needs to understand that social media is a good thing, a great tool for LE to use.

More tomorrow,
Tricia

The press conference left me unsettled honestly. So many things wrong and what is this issue with social media?
Where was the picture of the killer? Why didn't they play the voice?
I am a bit tired and will type more tomorrow but I do feel the D.A. needs to understand that social media is a good thing, a great tool for LE to use.

More tomorrow,
Tricia
The issue with Social Media seems to be the same kind of issues we have with it. It can be good in and of itself but used the wrong way can be destructive. Leazenby, Slocum and others in LE have repeatedly warned against the use of social media to name random people and compare to the sketch, etc. LE themselves use social media. They, like WS "police" their websites and remove damaging posts.
Some examples of their warnings include the issue of libel;

Police to Facebook: 'For the second time, stop armchair sleuthing' Delphi killings
The crime has caused a sensation and has drawn intense interest from members of the public. Last summer, almost immediately after the release of the FBI artist's sketch, users of social media began posting photographs of men alongside the sketch. State police implored them to quit.
"Those are of no value and take up investigative time," ISP spokesman Dave Bursten said at the time.
The state police urged them to stop for the second time Friday afternoon. By posting such photographs, an ISP Facebook post said, "you take away the from the investigation by slandering and possibly hurting those people and their families. Everyone is innocent until proven guilty in a court of LAW. If you feel someone might be the suspect, please notify the tip line at (844) 549-5786 or the email address abbyandlibbytip@cacoshrf.com. Do the right thing and help us solve the case and not cause unwanted pain and grief to those who may be innocent!"

ISP to Facebook users: Stop 'armchair sleuthing' on Delphi murders
Bursten on Wednesday cited a growing problem of "armchair sleuthing" by people who have combed websites to find mugshots of random men who resemble the sketch. Some people post their dubious detective work on Facebook, he said.
"A person that does that may open themselves up to some civil liability," Bursten said. "They will have to suffer the consequences of their own stupidity."

People might find themselves on the wrong end of a defamation or libel lawsuit.

“HLN is producing an hourlong live special to air this Friday, the week of the second anniversary of the Delphi murders in Indiana. Anchor Susan Hendricks went to Delphi to talk to law enforcement and family members of the girls. The special will air at 2 p.m. ET, anchored by Susan and Mike Galanos.”
They should have already done this IMO

This was solely isolated to these individuals involved. There was no factual information to believe we were dealing with an ongoing situation with someone out there in the community. I still feel the community is safe.

RSBM

Solely isolated to Libby and Abby. They were targeted? Why? If they know this, they have to have an idea of who it is. Is he already incarcerated and that's why the community is safe??

All the pressers in this case have been disappointing and this one was no exception. It was no doubt held as it was the second anniversary of the deaths of Abby and Libby and to introduce the new prosecutor. It was a complete waste of time.

LE have repeatedly stated that they don’t want to compromise the integrity of the case, but apart from the photo, the audio and the sketch, they’ve offered the public nothing. It’s surprising that a photo and audio haven’t elicited a suspect.

Libby had the foresight to take the photo and keep her phone switched on but I think it’s unlikely BG’s first words to the girls would have been “Down the hill”. The Patty’s have only heard a tiny bit more, but nothing of substance. If Libby found this man so menacing that she took his photo and kept recording, there would have been no reason to switch off her phone. It’s possible that a lot more was recorded, and possibly it would have been very distressing for the family to hear. Why didn’t the killer take or destroy the phone? I can only hazard a guess that he was unaware his photo had been taken.

Obviously LE would withhold any information that would only be known to the killer, hence them protecting the integrity of the case, but as DNA databases haven’t turned up any person of interest, you would think that after 2 years they could release something extra to jog someone’s memory. Memories decrease over time so it seems they're hoping technology will eventually break the case open.

I still find it surprising that in one of the first pressers LE said they didn’t believe the community was in any immediate danger. On what basis did they make that assumption, and why do they believe he is someone who won’t commit a similar crime again? While criminality of that nature tends to decline with age, people don’t ordinarily commit murder for the first time when they’re around 40. This was done in broad daylight when other people were near the trail. To me it sounds like this man was very confident that he could commit these horrendous crimes and get away with it.

I don’t believe in so-called closure, but the family would at least gain a lot of comfort knowing that this evil man is locked up for the rest of his life and will never harm anyone else again.

I hope that’s not true. If it is I would hope LE would want to help, but they probably wouldn’t here.They could still keep some things to themselves.
I think that because PI’s can do some things that LE can not (not saying illegal things, but loopholes, maybe?) maybe that’s why LE is so careful with what they choose to share & with whom. LE needs everything to be on the up & up in their investigation in order to press charges.
If you have heard about the Dakota James (Duquesne student in Pittsburgh, PA) case, his family (I feel) really got a bad deal with the LE & medical examiner. So they’ve asked a team of retired LE officers to look into his case. There are cases where LE & others are involved that end up looking bad for the local authorities like in Dakota’s case...very very questionable investigation/circumstances.
I’m not bashing IN LE, just saying that sometimes, you gotta reach out for unconventional types of help.
Honestly, I agree with you.
I think the family’s of Abby & Libby need to really look into acquiring a PI. Something needs done now, before peoples memories fade...
MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members