CANADA Canada - Ben Tyner, 32, cowboy, his horse returned w/o him, Merritt, British Columbia, 26 Jan 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only questionable thing I see about KR's statement though--- he would have been out there in the dark and would have been able to see the horse, see the horse stepping on its rein, seeing how nervous the hours was and to catch the horse? Sun doesn't come up in the area until 7am(ish) (I checked) and I imagine there are no street lights there. Full moon was Jan 20-21 with lunar eclipse so no moonlight. And besides that what the heck time were these loggers out there? And which day?

I believe KR stated he was out hunting, or preparing to hunt, so that would make the time of day make sense.

I've ridden in the dark numerous times. I am (completely!) guessing that if KR was out hunting at 5:30 am, the first thing that would have alerted him to the presence of BT's horse was the SOUND of his horse, which there would have been no missing. Horses are prey animals (not preditors) and as such, they are not silent grazers, nor are they silent travelers. They make a fair amount of noise just casually grazing, walking, & breathing. I can tell exactly what part of the field my horses are in when they are in the field nearest to my house, even on the darkest of pitch black nights. I can hear the various noises they make and pinpoint their location. If they are too far to hear, as long as they are in an open field, I can locate them by their eye shine with a spot light.

I believe KR stated he was out hunting, or preparing to hunt, so that would make the time of day make sense.

I've ridden in the dark numerous times. I am (completely!) guessing that if KR was out hunting at 5:30 am, the first thing that would have alerted him to the presence of BT's horse was the SOUND of his horse, which there would have been no missing. Horses are prey animals (not preditors) and as such, they are not silent grazers, nor are they silent travelers. They make a fair amount of noise just casually grazing, walking, & breathing. I can tell exactly what part of the field my horses are in when they are in the field nearest to my house, even on the darkest of pitch black nights. I can hear the various noises they make and pinpoint their location. If they are too far to hear, as long as they are in an open field, I can locate them by their eye shine with a spot light.
You make some good points. I suppose I was picturing him in the woods, not really on a trail of any kind, and along comes this horse, making its way though the trees, not a mark on it, stepping on its loose rein. So if KR was actually walking along a trail, it makes sense I suppose. I know that hunters around here go out before sunrise.

'He would help anyone for whatever they needed': Missing rancher's family pleads for any information | CBC News

[...]

"He was just big and strong and honest as they come, just a pure soul," said brother Jack Tyner who stood alongside his parents, as they pleaded for anyone with information to come forward.

"He wasn't the kind of guy that would get into trouble or cause any trouble. He would help anybody for whatever they needed. That was the kind of guy my brother was."

[...]

Just heart wrenching. The pain on his dad’s face is so powerful.
Sounds like the kind of guy everyone loved. A gentle giant, of sorts.
I’m thinking of his bro’, he’s likely on the longest drive of his life. Hope he’s holding up.
The disbelief Ben went missing in 3 short months of leaving must be incredibly hard for his family to swallow.
Hopefully, their next trip to Ca will bring closure. Moo

Lets assume he did go out to find lost cattle, which is highly probable. He catches guys loading them into a truck, gets off his horse, those cattle are worth thousands, guess what, they will make sure he doesn’t nark and they will hide his body in the woods, simple explanation.

Cattle rustling is a huge problem where I live (Texas Panhandle). I tend to think something like you mentioned is a very real possibility.

This also crossed my mind.
Maybe KR had big spotlight? truck lights? is that why the horse is nervous. were KR"s dogs making the horse nervous? Maybe BT horse only calm around people in cowboy hats? I've known cattle to be like that: see someone on a horse with a hat, no big deal. Someone on foot, or wearing a ball cap and they bolt!

I think they did report that BT would likely be wearing his wool cap so maybe the hat theory doesn't play in. I just meant though, the horse could be nervous for various reasons...nothing particularly suspicious about that as far as Im concerned. Why would KR even say that?

You make some valid points. I have to share though, what I find very relevant is the known skill level of this particular horse. This is a seasoned (exposed to a lot, confident) well trained, experienced horse. This specific horse is known to have a calm demeanor. A horse at this level, who has miles upon miles of training & exposure, and has lived around countless dogs, farm animals, farm machinery, people, etc. will at his first safe chance, revert back to his normal, known demeanor.

You are correct that it is ENTIRELY possible the horse was legitimately spooked just by KR's presence. The horse could simply have been in a spooky frame of mind because of being without a handler, alone and trying to find "home" or the company of other horses.

Based on my own experience training & handling horses, I feel that it is very clear when a horse appears to be at such a heightened level of anxiety that you can't help but think they have just experienced something traumatic. It's kind of like you just KNOW there is a bear or some type of predator was nearby, based solely on the way your horses are handling themselves. Or, if someone handled a horse in an abusive way, you can glean this from their behavior as well. You can tell if a horse has never been hit in the face, or if they are anticipating a hit to the face due to previous recent experiences.

My point is, I do think it was relevant that KR has said he felt the horse was so upset and jumpy, that he felt he had experienced something. It's possible that KR is very skilled with training dogs, but not skilled at handling or reading horses... if this is the case, then I agree that his comments were pointless. There are many different levels of ability when it comes to handling horses though, and if KR has enough of the right kind of experience with horses, it would give credibility to his assessment that the horse appeared to be jumpy & spooked in a way that made it seem he was traumatized beyond just being separated from his handler.

You make some valid points. I have to share though, what I find very relevant is the known skill level of this particular horse. This is a seasoned (exposed to a lot, confident) well trained, experienced horse. This specific horse is known to have a calm demeanor. A horse at this level, who has miles upon miles of training & exposure, and has lived around countless dogs, farm animals, farm machinery, people, etc. will at his first safe chance, revert back to his normal, known demeanor.

You are correct that it is ENTIRELY possible the horse was legitimately spooked just by KR's presence. The horse could simply have been in a spooky frame of mind because of being without a handler, alone and trying to find "home" or the company of other horses.

Based on my own experience training & handling horses, I feel that it is very clear when a horse appears to be at such a heightened level of anxiety that you can't help but think they have just experienced something traumatic. It's kind of like you just KNOW there is a bear or some type of predator was nearby, based solely on the way your horses are handling themselves. Or, if someone handled a horse in an abusive way, you can glean this from their behavior as well. You can tell if a horse has never been hit in the face, or if they are anticipating a hit to the face due to previous recent experiences.

My point is, I do think it was relevant that KR has said he felt the horse was so upset and jumpy, that he felt he had experienced something. It's possible that KR is very skilled with training dogs, but not skilled at handling or reading horses... if this is the case, then I agree that his comments were pointless. There are many different levels of ability when it comes to handling horses though, and if KR has enough of the right kind of experience with horses, it would give credibility to his assessment that the horse appeared to be jumpy & spooked in a way that made it seem he was traumatized beyond just being separated from his handler.
Very true. Imo

I was confused about the jumpy horse statement from KR as well. It sounds, in one report, that he believed the horse had experienced something to make it nervous. Another report makes it sound more like KR thought it was strange that the horse only had one rein, and that because the horse kept stepping on the one dragging rein, it was spooking itself. I can see that. It's difficult for a horse to make much forward progress if it steps on the rein that pulls on the bit in its mouth. Would make a sudden jerk movement to horse's head and mouth and might be painful. JMO

I have cowboyed for a number of years and managed large ranches. I have owned horses and mules for more than 40 years. In the photos of "Gunny" Ben's horse he is wearing a spade bit. These bits are for a highly skilled horseman and not a novice. If the horse was stepping on the rein and had this bit in it's mouth it would cause the horse to get excited. If someone who did NOT know anything about this bit and horses in general and yanked on the rein the horse could become agitated to say the least. Ben was a horseman and "Gunny" had a soft mouth I am sure. Lots of things could agitate the horse if it was left to wonder around overnight in the bush, that is for sure.

IMO, No way in hell did Ben turn his horse lose with his gear on (fully tacked). KR may know dogs but is he a skilled horseman ? I have no idea and wont speculate on that. This case has touched me deep because Ben is a cowboy and from Wyoming where I spent many years in the ranching community and in the saddle. I know the cowboys heart and soul, because I have one.

My deepest sympathy goes out to his family and friends and I sure hope they get some closure one way or another. I can't imagine the unspeakable grief they are feeling.

Dog_River

I have cowboyed for a number of years and managed large ranches. I have owned horses and mules for more than 40 years. In the photos of "Gunny" Ben's horse he is wearing a spade bit. These bits are for a highly skilled horseman and not a novice. If the horse was stepping on the rein and had this bit in it's mouth it would cause the horse to get excited. If someone who did NOT know anything about this bit and horses in general and yanked on the rein the horse could become agitated to say the least. Ben was a horseman and "Gunny" had a soft mouth I am sure. Lots of things could agitate the horse if it was left to wonder around overnight in the bush, that is for sure.

IMO, No way in hell did Ben turn his horse lose with his gear on (fully tacked). KR may know dogs but is he a skilled horseman ? I have no idea and wont speculate on that. This case has touched me deep because Ben is a cowboy and from Wyoming where I spent many years in the ranching community and in the saddle. I know the cowboys heart and soul, because I have one.

My deepest sympathy goes out to his family and friends and I sure hope they get some closure one way or another. I can't imagine the unspeakable grief they are feeling.

Dog_River
Do you find it odd for this Cowboy to disappear under said circumstances?

Dog_River

This sad story rips at the heart, for sure.
It’s like we’ve gotten to know Ben from reading the many tributes left for him. He seems like the man we’d all desire for a friend; kind, humble, intelligent & honest. I’m guessing leaving Ca today was a most difficult decision for Jack. Hopefully the tip line inspires someone to make “the call” that Ben’s family desperately needs & RCMP can get to the bottom of this. Someone knows something, imo
& if that person could look at Mr. Tyner & not be compelled to do the right thing, they aren’t much of a person. MOO

This sad story rips at the heart, for sure.
It’s like we’ve gotten to know Ben from reading the many tributes left for him. He seems like the man we’d all desire for a friend; kind, humble, intelligent & honest. I’m guessing leaving Ca today was a most difficult decision for Jack. Hopefully the tip line inspires someone to make “the call” that Ben’s family desperately needs & RCMP can get to the bottom of this. Someone knows something, imo
& if that person could look at Mr. Tyner & not be compelled to do the right thing, they aren’t much of a person. MOO
Well if someone did something to BT, imo they aren’t much of a human being to begin with

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryEllen77