Found Deceased IN - Abigail (Abby) Williams, 13, and Liberty (Libby) German, 14/The Delphi Murders 13 Feb 2017 #87

Status
Not open for further replies.
They probably have more audio and video of perp.

Dear Jackielee09,

Here is a link to the official video from a roadshow discussion between two Indiana State Police officers. The video is timestamped with the date of 3.5.2017.

At the 8:05 time mark in the video, one Officer states "We have more video, we have more audio. But it is specific to this investigation and that is why it's not being released at this time."

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=87n-DeWJCU4&ved=2ahUKEwjxx4ni0OTfAhUFYKwKHVK4DecQjjgwAHoECAkQAQ&usg=AOvVaw3XZTw1Ym7C3BevFR2RWOXt

Dear Jackielee09,

Here is a link to the official video from a roadshow discussion between two Indiana State Police officers. The video is timestamped with the date of 3.5.2017.

At the 8:05 time mark in the video, one Officer states "We have more video, we have more audio. But it is specific to this investigation and that is why it's not being released at this time."

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=87n-DeWJCU4&ved=2ahUKEwjxx4ni0OTfAhUFYKwKHVK4DecQjjgwAHoECAkQAQ&usg=AOvVaw3XZTw1Ym7C3BevFR2RWOXt
Interesting. “We’ve had 8,000 tips” ( a year ago)
“We’ve had 35,000 tips (yesterday)

I don't know if most have seen this, but I think it is worth a watch. The link to a Jan. 25, 2019 interview by Angela Hope with Tobe Leazenby to answer some of the questions that the community has (and that websleuthers have) is at the bottom of this post.

Here is my paraphrasing of most of the questions, which are in bold:

Everybody wants to know why you called off the search for Libby and Abby.

Tobe Laezenby emphasizes that it was not an individual decision made by him to call off the search, rather that it was the decision after a meeting with police, fire, EMS and other community volunteers. The consensus was to make a temporary stop of that search and then restart the search early the next morning. Tobe goes on to say that even though they had formally stopped the search, they did know there were people out there searching throughout the night, particularly community volunteers. We were not in a position where we could tell everyone to stop, so basically we made it optional.

They also noted that they learned that Abby and Libby sometimes went to each others' homes (or other places) sometimes without communicating it to family members.

When asked if the community was in any immediate danger, your answer was no. Can you explain that?

I've been with this agency for 32 years and I have a lot of feeling and real faith that we were not dealing with an ongoing event as far as someone going out there and committing this crime again. More of a concern for me as a LE leader, we obviously did not want to create a large amount of paranoia and concern where individuals and families would have to constantly be looking over their shoulder wondering who is that behind me. That's no way for a community to live. This was solely isolated to these individuals involved. There was no factual information to believe we were dealing with an ongoing situation with someone out there in the community. I still feel the community is safe.

Out of everyone who has been questioned or searched, they are still a person of interest and they will remain that way until there is a conviction?

Correct. People are arrested every day. Whether or not they are charged by the prosecutor and then taken to court and convicted is a whole set of new circumstances. The arrest is just the beginning point...We want to strive for that conviction, which is the ultimate justice for Abby and Libby.

https://www.facebook.com/search/top/?q=tobe leazenby&epa=SEARCH_BOX

I have heard lots of excuses of why LE etc stopped their search that night and on the surface they appear reasonable. If you look at the whole picture though it it was an awful and ridiculous decision.
Initially it was thought the girls were lost or injured so people walked the trails calling their names with no response. This area is not gigantic. The trails are located in a fairly narrow wooded area that follows Deer Creek. The terrain is difficult in spots. After doing this for hours with no response how could LE continue to think that they were hurt or lost. But instead of saying something is very wrong here, they pack up and decide to come back tomorrow, leaving the search to amateurs and desperate family members. The thought that the girls may have gone somewhere else and not reported in is valid for awhile but not as 10pm approaches. Neither girl had a history of running away. By then they would have called to say “oh sorry I forgot to call but I’m at XYZ’s house” and i’m sure by then their families had called all their friends checking. LE basically abandoned these girls and their families. We know now that searching all night etc would not have saved the girls but it makes you wonder what other questionable decisions LE made early on that could have affected the investigation.
As far as Leazenby’s statement saying the community was in no danger it’s good to know he bases these things on his own gut feeling over reality. Sarcasm intended. The reality at the time was he had two brutally murdered young girls in a very small town. He had no idea who did it and why. How could he possibly make such a blanket statement. If something at the crime scene led to this statement he should say so, otherwise it was very irresponsible. Time, of course, has proven him right I concede, but at the time he said it he had no idea.

Dear Jackielee09,

LE is really struggling with this. At about 12:45 they state calling in the tips by phone is the BEST. Yesterday's PC indicates that email is now best.

So I let the PC sink in for a day and watched it again. The positive is that it keeps the case out in the public eye. But the prosecutor seemed to have not added a thing to this process. No value added.

I do wonder if the PC is scripted from what FBI profilers have come up with. Is it scripted to frustrate the killer and have him slip up? Make him overconfident and he hints that he knows more to someone?

When asked if the community was in any immediate danger, your answer was no. Can you explain that?

I've been with this agency for 32 years and I have a lot of feeling and real faith that we were not dealing with an ongoing event as far as someone going out there and committing this crime again. More of a concern for me as a LE leader, we obviously did not want to create a large amount of paranoia and concern where individuals and families would have to constantly be looking over their shoulder wondering who is that behind me. That's no way for a community to live. This was solely isolated to these individuals involved. There was no factual information to believe we were dealing with an ongoing situation with someone out there in the community. I still feel the community is safe.
So is there additional information on Libby's phone recording to suggest the murderer knew of one or both girls? This was solely isolated to these individuals involved. That is a very interesting statement.

So I let the PC sink in for a day and watched it again. The positive is that it keeps the case out in the public eye. But the prosecutor seemed to have not added a thing to this process. No value added.

I do wonder if the PC is scripted from what FBI profilers have come up with. Is it scripted to frustrate the killer and have him slip up? Make him overconfident and he hints that he knows more to someone?

I agree. Also in my opinion, to possibly find out more about the killer's profile/mindset. For example, some killers want to be known for their methods so they will somehow reach out/commit another crime so the police will be able to tell more about the killer (his trademark). He may be impulsive, lack empathy, want to be in control. If they describe him as just a "regular" guy - the killer may be insulted by this and knows he has a high IQ as an example. A relative/friend/employee etc may have watched this press conference (and not the previous ones) and recalls something someone said or did might be related to this crime (in that the something or someone said was odd, unusual) and could report it to the police.

This link has interesting information. Serial killer - Wikipedia

Yes, the main purpose may have been to keep up the public interest.
Hasn't it been a long time since they have had an update like this?
It seems like they think someone must know something or has an idea who the killer is. By showing how determined they are and how much confidence they have that they will find the killer, they may be pressuring or encouraging someone to come forward. Imo

Can anyone understand this statement from the press conference earlier?

“I’m confident that if he’s listening in or she’s listening in or whoever it is, that at some point I’ll be sitting across from you in the courtroom.”

Indiana girls' murders still defy solution, two years on, but prosecutor's 'confident' killer will be found

Surely “Down the hill” is a male voice?

I found this so strange also, I mean if they have DNA, then they KNOW at the very least what this person's gender is.

"This was solely isolated to these individuals involved. There was no factual information to believe we were dealing with an ongoing situation with someone out there in the community. I still feel the community is safe." Tobe Lezenby

Maybe they never thought the sketch was accurate...

This was so confusing to me also, how can there not be a threat to the community unless they really feel this was targeted at the girls or their family somehow. Someone generally doesn't go in to woods and kill two girls and never harm anyone again. Even if the perp doesn't hurt anyone again, LE has not way of really knowing that?

This was so confusing to me also, how can there not be a threat to the community unless they really feel this was targeted at the girls or their family somehow. Someone generally doesn't go in to woods and kill two girls and never harm anyone again. Even if the perp doesn't hurt anyone again, LE has not way of really knowing that?

JMO
It really is a confusing comment that I feel they owe an explanation for because we can flip that right around and ask why not to this?

"There was no factual information to believe we were dealing with an ongoing situation with someone out there in the community"

The BG sure was in the community at least for that day and there was no information that we know of that he had left the area.

So what basis did they have to even say this?

Unfortunately my guess is they just didnt want the city to panic and unless they have something that we are not aware of then they really have no basis to even say that.

In my opinion:
What LE knows after two years is that Libby and Abby were killed. They know when they were killed, where and how. They know other people saw BG at the trails.
What LE does not know after two years is everything else. They do not know who did it. (Nor do they have a POI who they are watching while they put together a perfect case. )They don’t how BG got there or got away. If by car they don’t have descriptions of that car. They may have a footprint, they may have some DNA but don’t know if it’s the killer’s.
Anything else we’re not privy to.
I am starting to think however that they don’t have much else. The statement by somebody at the PC saying they hoped future technology would help them, and one officer came real close to saying what sounded close to “I hope I live long enough to look the killer in the eye”.
Years. They are hinting at years.
So LE would rather wait years to find this guy than trust the public with a little bit more info that might give them a break. How arrogant. If the families set up a fund to finance a private investigator, I will gladly donate.
GREAT POST !!! and that's exactly what I get out of it, which is exactly how I feel about Lizzy and Lyric, just 1 more similarity .

Dear Jackielee09,

I just knew I saw that somewhere and for some reason it keeps popping back up. Not sure why it's forgotten so readily but it must contain something LE cannot allow the family or public to hear or see.

The hat bugs me. I can’t understand why they used that in the sketch. I really believe in the photos he’s wearing a baseball cap that he has squashed the bill of like a lot of guys do.

ikr
Early on I almost swore to myself that he had on a toupee of hair that had a dent in the middle. There was something about the bangs part that I was convincing myself it was just a toupee.

Then I started to agree with others that it was a soft floppy type hat with a short brim in front.

Then I wondered if it was just a cap turned backwards with the brim towards the back.

Its unfortunately not clear enough.

The backpack or whatever he has higher up on his shoulder area in the back is the same type of thing where its hard to confirm he has a backpack or not on.

And of course the infamous white thing sticking out from his coat. On that one I finally convinced myself it was special thicker police style plastic zip ties. But of course it could be just a handle of a plastic bag or a pull string from an inside jacket.

No matter what all that was it doesnt really help unless we spot a similar looking person with similar things.

This case is one that definitely drives us crazy.

Hi. I'm in London, UK, and was following this case avidly until last April but then our daughter, 22, only child, died suddenly from SADS so forgot about it. Had more pressing things on my mind basically! Remembered it today though whilst following the Libby Squire thread and saw a banner at the top about the press conference. Am so sorry there's been no conclusion yet. After losing our daughter I feel so sorry for the girls' parents. Those poor young girls. Not one but two. One would be bad enough.

Something from Toby Lazeenby caught my attention and seems quite significant."This was solely isolated to those individuals invloved" Why say that? Do they think both or one was targeted or they did something to annoy him that day to make him do what he did? If I lived there I'd be looking over my shoulder even as a man and especially as a female. Why did he think the community had no need to be afraid? I've always wondered if one or both girls knew this man and if they were targeted and followed. Does anyone know if they ruled that out ever? Am sure I remember reading that the police looked in to both families and they'd want to see if they had any enemies. Think all that's probably routine anyway. Do most posters here think this was just an opportunist crime then?

Last edited:
ikr
Early on I almost swore to myself that he had on a toupee of hair that had a dent in the middle. There was something about the bangs part that I was convincing myself it was just a toupee.

Then I started to agree with others that it was a soft floppy type hat with a short brim in front.

Then I wondered if it was just a cap turned backwards with the brim towards the back.

Its unfortunately not clear enough.

The backpack or whatever he has higher up on his shoulder area in the back is the same type of thing where its hard to confirm he has a backpack or not on.

And of course the infamous white thing sticking out from his coat. On that one I finally convinced myself it was special thicker police style plastic zip ties. But of course it could be just a handle of a plastic bag or a pull string from an inside jacket.

No matter what all that was it doesnt really help unless we spot a similar looking person with similar things.

This case is one that definitely drives us crazy.
Not to get the discussion off track on the hat again, but... I’ve noticed a lot of guys who wear baseball caps n the regular way (bill forward) squeeze the sides of the bill in. Picture making a flat-bill cap curved - except a lot of guys prefer that extreme curve for some reason - and I mean older guys. Sometimes I think it may kind of be one of those “tinkering habits” some people have, where they always have to be messing with something, and guys who wear baseball hats all the time might end up focusing that kind of behavior on the hat. Anyway, that’s how it appears to me - a regular hat worn in the regular position, but somewhat malformed from constantly doing this.

Hi. I'm in London and was following this case avidly until last April but then our daughter, 22, only child, died suddenly from SADS so forgot about it. Had more pressing things to do basically! Remembered it today though and so sorry there's been no conclusion yet. After losing our daughter I feel so sorry for the girls' parents.

Something from Toby Lazeenby caught my attention and seems quite significant."This was solely isolated to those individuals invloved" Why say that? Do they think both or one was targeted or they did something to annoy him? If I lived there I'd be looking over my shoulder even as a man and especially as a female. Why does he think the community has no need to be afraid?

So sorry about your daughter. Prayers for you and your family for continued strength and comfort.

Thanks so much for rejoining the discussions here on this case. This is one of the most perplexing and outragous crimes we have here on WS and we all hope it can be solved soon.

It really reminds me so much of this case involving two other girls murdered in Iowa years before.

IA - IA - Elizabeth Collins, 8, & Lyric Cook, 10, Evansdale, 13 July 2012 - #38

So sorry about your daughter. Prayers for you and your family for continued strength and comfort.

Thanks so much for rejoining the discussions here on this case. This is one of the most perplexing and outragous crimes we have here on WS and we all hope it can be solved soon.

It really reminds me so much of this case involving two other girls murdered in Iowa years before.

IA - IA - Elizabeth Collins, 8, & Lyric Cook, 10, Evansdale, 13 July 2012 - #38

Thanks for your kind words. It really is a shocking case. I hope it will be solved soon. We know what it's like to lose a daughter but ours was natural causes. What these girls' parents must have gone through is unimaginable. I remember telling my daughter about it before she died. Those poor girls. Yes I did read about the other case.

I tend to agree with LE in that someone must have a good idea who this guy is but is probably unsure or is shielding him.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member