NJ - Sarah Stern, 19, Neptune City, 2 Dec 2016 *Arrests* #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
“She’s going to be facing contempt charges,” the judge said.

But Assistant Monmouth County Prosecutor Meghan Doyle said her interview shouldn’t matter. “At that point when you excused her, whether or not she’s in the media or not, she’s not a sitting juror anymore,” she said.

Doyle, who was furious with Diaz-Cobo’s attempt to get a mistrial, accused him of delaying the proceedings yet again.

Five of the jurors conceded that they had knowledge that one of their fellow jurors was dismissed over a Facebook comment, but they each said they had no knowledge of what it said.

Diaz-Cobo argued that knowing the comment existed was enough to be “potentially tainted by this information.”

Judge threatens to charge ‘LMAO’ juror in Sarah Stern murder trial

I think Diaz-Cobo already writing his appeal-- and now he has 2 dismissed Jurors that he can talk to directly. This won't end with the verdict. :(

ETA: I always thought jurors (including dismissed) required not to talk until trial is over -- maybe I'm wrong?

What could the contempt charges be, does anyone know? Money? Community Service? A record? Jailtime?

I also wanted to say that when I was on the murder trial jury those years ago, there was a photo of the victim we jurors had hung up on the wall in our room; she was laying on the floor with her arms tied up with a lamp cord, but her arms were raised above her head. About a week after the trial ended, I was playing with my cat, laying on the floor, and she walked around my head. I raised my arms up to pet her, and immediately was overcome with the image of that poor woman in the same position, and I burst out crying and couldn't stop for the whole day. It really grieved me. And yes, I had nightmares. But still. Save it for the pillow. I hope this is a lesson to all younger adults who are called for jury duty. This is NO JOKE PEOPLE!

Did I miss something? Seattle 1 mentions 2 dismissed jurors?

2 JURORS DISMISSED IN SARAH STERN TRIAL IN NEW JERSEY AFTER FACEBOOK POST”

“BELMAR, New Jersey - Two jurors have been dismissed in the Sarah Stern murder trial in New Jersey after one of them posted about the case on Facebook.

The juror apparently wrote that she looked like Stern and was having nightmares. That juror was held in contempt of court.

On Thursday, the judge interviewed each juror about what he or she heard from the dismissed juror. A second juror was released as a result.

Attorneys for the suspect, Liam McAtasney, were asking for five other jurors to be released and had previously requested a mistrial, which the judge denied.

Twelve jurors and two alternates remain.

[SBM]” (BBM)
2 jurors dismissed in Sarah Stern murder trial in New Jersey after Facebook post

A bit more info.:

“[SBM]

After questioning the remaining jurors, English dismissed another one, no. 14, who said she had reached out to juror no. 13 on Tuesday on Facebook to check on her welfare and then learned juror no. 13 had been excused because of a Facebook post. The judge said it did not appear juror no. 14 did anything wrong, but he felt it would be safer to remove her.

[SBM]” (BBM)
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.app.com/amp/2807832002

Last edited:
2 JURORS DISMISSED IN SARAH STERN TRIAL IN NEW JERSEY AFTER FACEBOOK POST”

“BELMAR, New Jersey - Two jurors have been dismissed in the Sarah Stern murder trial in New Jersey after one of them posted about the case on Facebook.

The juror apparently wrote that she looked like Stern and was having nightmares. That juror was held in contempt of court.

On Thursday, the judge interviewed each juror about what he or she heard from the dismissed juror. A second juror was released as a result.

Attorneys for the suspect, Liam McAtasney, were asking for five other jurors to be released and had previously requested a mistrial, which the judge denied.

Twelve jurors and two alternates remain.

[SBM]” (BBM)
2 jurors dismissed in Sarah Stern murder trial in New Jersey after Facebook post

A bit more info.:

“[SBM]

After questioning the remaining jurors, English dismissed another one, no. 14, who said she had reached out to juror no. 13 on Tuesday on Facebook to check on her welfare and then learned juror no. 13 had been excused because of a Facebook post. The judge said it did not appear juror no. 14 did anything wrong, but he felt it would be safer to remove her.

[SBM]” (BBM)
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.app.com/amp/2807832002
Good call Judge English!

What could the contempt charges be, does anyone know? Money? Community Service? A record? Jailtime?

I also wanted to say that when I was on the murder trial jury those years ago, there was a photo of the victim we jurors had hung up on the wall in our room; she was laying on the floor with her arms tied up with a lamp cord, but her arms were raised above her head. About a week after the trial ended, I was playing with my cat, laying on the floor, and she walked around my head. I raised my arms up to pet her, and immediately was overcome with the image of that poor woman in the same position, and I burst out crying and couldn't stop for the whole day. It really grieved me. And yes, I had nightmares. But still. Save it for the pillow. I hope this is a lesson to all younger adults who are called for jury duty. This is NO JOKE PEOPLE!

According to the info below, would her charge be indirect contempt?

WHAT ARE THE DIFFERENT TYPES OF CONTEMPT?

There are several ways to be found in contempt of court. The first is called criminal contempt which can be both direct and indirect. Direct contempt as explained earlier happens in front of the judge and the issue is dealt with on the spot.

Indirect contempt happens outside the presence of a judge and involves matters like when a juror is ordered not to discuss a case with anyone and willfully violates that order by talking to someone about the case outside of court.

Another type of contempt is civil contempt, in which a plaintiff can bring a suit against a defendant, where the plaintiff is seeking money damages or some sort of injunctive relief from the court. Common examples of civil contempt include, failure to pay child support, failure to obey a restraining order or interfering with a parents right to visit a child.

When someone acts in a way that disrupts court proceedings the judge has the authority to charge that person with contempt of court and have the individual arrested. A judge can charge any individual within the courtroom of contempt including jurors, people sitting in the audience and lawyers.

A judge in New Jersey is given authority to punish someone for contempt under N.J.S.A. 2A:10-1. You can be imprisoned and fined for being found in contempt of court. Courts generally have plenty of cases to hear on any given day so when a person interferes with court proceedings or impedes the administration of justice, judges will be quick to charge a person in contempt. These rules apply in all courtrooms including family law and municipal court cases.
Contempt of Court In New Jersey - Rosenblum Law Firm (I hope I am allowed to post this)

“[SBM]

Testimony in the trial resumed late Thursday morning with Christopher Decker, assistant Monmouth County prosecutor, continuing his questioning of prosecutor's Detective Brian Weisbrot, the lead detective on the murder investigation.

Weisbrot testified about doing things to independently confirm what McAtasney confessed to on a video that was secretly recorded by a friend, as well as what McAtasney's roommate, Preston Taylor, told investigators about the case.

[SBM]

Weisbrot also offered testimony that seemed to contradict McAtasney's stories that Stern wanted to run away to Canada or California to get away from her father.

The detective said he conducted a search of the victim's bedroom after she went missing.

‘We found her U.S. passport, Social Security card, and U.S. and Canadian currency,’ Weisbrot told the jury.

Weisbrot said he also checked flights to see if Stern flew anywhere between Dec. 2 and Dec. 5, 2016, and there was no record of any travel. And, Stern left behind $25,250 in her safe deposit box at Kearny Bank in Bradley Beach, he said.

The fact that Stern's body has never been found is a point the defense claims raises doubt about whether she is, in fact, dead.

Weisbrot is expected to return to the witness stand when the trial resumes on Wednesday.“ (BBM)

Sarah Stern murder: Mistrial denied, but dismissed juror facing charge for Facebook post

So no trial on Tuesday. Could it be because Monday is a holiday?

Sarah Stern murder: Mistrial arguments get testy in this morning's Sarah Stern trial

Sarah Stern murder: Mistrial arguments get testy in this morning's Sarah Stern trial

I just saw a video on TV from court today. It is the neighbor's security camera showing LM walking around in SS's driveway. Trying to find it online

Would love to see!

Starts around 1’20” in the video at the link:
Judge Dismisses Motion for Mistrial in Sarah Stern Case

@cass523: I hope this is the one you are talking about!

Reminds me of LM's comment to AC that he didn't want PT to think he had to kill AC (because he had knowledge).

Kind of like the defense argument-- it was PT, and not LM!

Eventually, LM probably would have killed AC also.

MOO
These are some good questions and thoughts.IMO LM is a psychopath. Psychopaths are born that way. Unable to empathize, feel remorse, or care about others. The do feel, but only their own feelings, pain, etc. They watch an try to mimic "normal " or appropriate responses in social settings . They usually display typical patterns of a psychopath as children, hurting animals, lack of empathy.
So only LM family would know how he was growing up. Sometimes the truth is hard to let in. Yes, this case is a tragedy. Michael Stern will never, be able to hug Sarah again, or see her smile. Never see her reach her full potential as a woman. Her friends will never experience her vivacious personality, or tell her how much she meant to them. On a personal note, my daughter said she needs to speak with a therapist after viewing the 13 min tape. Sarahs murder has touched many of our lives. Your not supposed to bury your children or your friends.

While they may not have ever expected their son to do something like this; I do believe LM may have displayed some tendencies or behaviors at some point that concerned his parents. I can’t inderstand why else his parents would hire not one but two attorneys three days after SS disappeared. The case was still considered a missing person case at this point and he was not a suspect or person of interest, just simply being interviewe as the last person she was seen with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member