CA - Costco encounter helps solve 5-year mystery of missing man, Feb 2019

doodles1211

Reaction score
SAN DIEGO — A chance encounter outside a Costco in Mount Hope helped solve the five-year-old mystery of a missing man a family believed was dead.

Alicia Clark and her wife Claudette first saw David McCovery a few weeks ago in the median, panhandling.

“He was hobbling and only had one shoe, and his foot was swollen,” said Alicia Clark.

They bought him shoes, socks and food, and talked with him.

“Cladette asked if he needed anything else, and he said, ‘I just want to go home,'” said Clark.

Home, he told them, was Moss Point, Mississippi. Five years ago, McCovery says he getting his life back together after a stint in prison. He volunteered to help drive his brother’s friend to San Diego to see his child. When he got here, the man asked him to go inside a Burger King to get a drink.

“When I got outside, I looked around, and he wasn’t there,” said McCovery, 61.

Without a phone or money, he ended up on the streets. Having recently suffered a stroke, he became confused. He couldn’t remember contact numbers for his family. And so he panhandled and survived.

More at link...

Costco encounter helps solve 5-year mystery of missing man

SAN DIEGO — A chance encounter outside a Costco in Mount Hope helped solve the five-year-old mystery of a missing man a family believed was dead.

Alicia Clark and her wife Claudette first saw David McCovery a few weeks ago in the median, panhandling.

“He was hobbling and only had one shoe, and his foot was swollen,” said Alicia Clark.

They bought him shoes, socks and food, and talked with him.

“Cladette asked if he needed anything else, and he said, ‘I just want to go home,'” said Clark.

Home, he told them, was Moss Point, Mississippi. Five years ago, McCovery says he getting his life back together after a stint in prison. He volunteered to help drive his brother’s friend to San Diego to see his child. When he got here, the man asked him to go inside a Burger King to get a drink.

“When I got outside, I looked around, and he wasn’t there,” said McCovery, 61.

Without a phone or money, he ended up on the streets. Having recently suffered a stroke, he became confused. He couldn’t remember contact numbers for his family. And so he panhandled and survived.

More at link...

Dear @doodles1211,

Thank you so much for sharing this beautiful and remarkable story!

I can't think of a more suitable word for the Clarks than the word Mr. McCovery used - "angels". I certainly agree with him!

“I can’t wait, can’t wait … Full of joy right now,” said a tearful McCovery.

“I’ve never shed so many tears. This has been life changing for him – and me, too,” said Clark.

McCovery says his faith in God kept him going through the rough times and calls the Clarks, his “angels.”

If he’d had the stroke prior to the trip, could this “friend” face charges of abandonment of a disabled person?

This is such a wonderful ending that it made me cry. I am glad the family was reunited. I hope he's now safe and happy.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23
Back