TX - Elizabeth Barraza, 29, murdered setting up garage sale, Harris County, Jan 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
The house appears to be in a subdivision, perhaps one way in and out. Although some have a back entrance/exit. I’m guessing it wasn’t a gated community.

And I am surprised she didn’t put the yard sale out on Next Door, community Facebook or some local publication.

How else would people beside neighbors know about it?

Yard sales take a bit of planning and prep work - someone knew she would be out there. JMO

Dear Medstudies,

Thank you for the link!

I was shocked when I read about the time between when her husband drove off and the truck showed up - 4 minutes!

From the news article you shared with us (above):

"The surveillance video also shows Barraza's husband leaving the home around 6:48 a.m. and the shooter's truck pulling up at 6:52 a.m."

You’re welcome! What a crazy coincidence right?...

If this were a person cruising for homes to rob, I’d buy that. Perfect time to watch people leaving for the day. But this (MOO) wasn’t a robbery and I do not believe this was just a chance occurrence.

This person gave much thought to this. They knew when the spouse was leaving and that she would be out and alone. They made a point to have final words, they showed her something, shot her 3 times and then stood over her, as if a final act of vengeance before firing a last blow.

Suspect pool: those who knew his/her schedule that day who also have/had access to that make of vehicle. (Overstating the obvious ha!)

Even just the risk that within those 4 minutes, the husband may have forgotten something at home or remembered he said he'd help his wife carry out something heavy for the garage sale.

People turn around and head home before work for tons of reasons. What a risk to take. So brazen. Such determination to kill her.

Last edited:
Jmo but Fridays are a known day for garage sales, at least where I am in the Southwest. People who do garage sales drive around early, looking out for little signs in medians etc pointing to where they are. But maybe this shooter intended to go to the door if she had not happened to be outside...maybe he or she was just waiting until husband left. Garage sale may be incidental. Jmo

The house appears to be in a subdivision, perhaps one way in and out. Although some have a back entrance/exit. I’m guessing it wasn’t a gated community.

And I am surprised she didn’t put the yard sale out on Next Door, community Facebook or some local publication.

How else would people beside neighbors know about it?

Yard sales take a bit of planning and prep work - someone knew she would be out there. JMO

To have a successful garage sale in Houston you just need a few signs put up in the neighborhood and closest cross streets the morning of the sale. Most people I know don’t spend a lot of time placing or perusing Garage Sale notices on NextDoor or anything online. They just drive around early Friday and a Saturday mornings. It seems to work. Every garage sale I have had has been what I would call successful with very little to no advertisement.

Last edited:
Dear CocoChanel,

This is so true, in my neighborhood as well.

Thanks for your post!

One weird thing I noticed about the video- there appears to be something in the road that prevents the perp from pulling all the way up to the driveway. When the perp pulls away they swing the truck way out to steer around it.

It looks like another car.

They could have pulled right in the driveway but didn't.

Last edited:
To have a successful garage sale in Houston you just need a few signs put up in the neighborhood and closest cross streets the morning of the sale. Most people I know don’t spend a lot of time placing or perusing Garage Sale notices on NextDoor or anything online. They just drive around early Friday and a Saturday mornings. It seems to work. Every garage sale I have had has been what I would call successful with very little to no advertisement.

same here except here in Canada it's Sat/Sun

One weird thing I noticed about the video- there appears to be something in the road that prevents the perp from pulling all the way up to the driveway. When the perp pulls away they swing the truck way out to steer around it.

It looks like another car.

They could have pulled right in the driveway but didn't.

Or maybe there were tables set up in the driveway that were hard to see until you were really close.

At the risk of sounding like I think this case should have been solved by now, I do think the investigators on this case have 3 significant advantages working in their favor that most other homicide detectives don’t have- they know the exact make and model of the killer’s (or killer’s acquaintance) vehicle, they have the very strong possibility that their murderer knew or knew of the victim in some capacity, and they have video of the crime taking place which, at the very least, rules out tall individuals as the culprit.

I’m sure the police are 10 steps ahead of me here, but I would think that using the vehicle and knowledge that the killer knew the victim could potentially isolate and identify 1-2 suspects pretty quickly (I’m assuming here that the husband and family have said they can’t think of anyone who drives a Nissan truck).

Get a download from the DMV of all registered owners of Nissan Frontier pickup trucks in the greater Houston area. While pickups are certainly popular in Texas and Houston is a very large city/area, the overwhelming majority of pickups driven in Texas are Ford, Chevy, or Dodge. So maybe the list from the DMV is only like 10,000 records long (figuring generously that 2 million people in that area own vehicles and 1 in every 200 or so vehicles in that area is a Nissan Frontier).

Then get a comprehensive list of members of the Star Wars legion, homeowners in the neighborhood and surrounding area, co-workers from both husband’s and wife’s workplace, family members, other social groups they belonged to (Church, sports, charity, etc), and every acquaintance the family can think of.

Then cross-reference the two lists using something as simple as a V-LOOKUP in Excel and see if any names from the two lists match.

This obviously wouldn’t be a foolproof plan, as the killer might reside somewhere outside of the greater Houston area, might not belong to one of the groups of people the names came from, and might have been intentionally omitted by someone providing the names. And there might be more than 1 name residing in both lists.

But if the only lead they have to work is the vehicle and the intimate nature of the killing, I would think that methodology listed above would certainly narrow the scope of who to investigate further. If 1-2 names pop on both lists, they could start working those angles- do they own a registered firearm... what caliber weapon is it... do they resemble the killer seen on video or do they own a costume which looks like that... when was their last contact with the victim and/or her husband... do they have any possible motive...so on and so forth.

It might be a dead end, pardon the unfortunate pun, but if nobody in EB’s life has been able to give the police any solid suspects or tips to give them direction in their case, I would say it would be worth a shot. At the very least, they could determine whether anyone in those select groups and circles of people involved in EB’s life owned a Nissan Frontier and/or owned a gun.

For all I know, though, they’ve already done something very similar, identified their perp, and are now just collecting evidence against him/her and making sure the i’s are dotted and the t’s are crossed before making the official arrest.

I think there is a strong possibility that the shooter didn't use their own vehicle. It is pretty easy to borrow or rent or even steal one, for a brief time. Maybe you borrow a friend's truck by saying you are picking up a new table, you will return it by noon?

I think there is a strong possibility that the shooter didn't use their own vehicle. It is pretty easy to borrow or rent or even steal one, for a brief time. Maybe you borrow a friend's truck by saying you are picking up a new table, you will return it by noon?
Yes true they could have borrowed or stolen another vehicle but it would still have led back to them with DNA, word of mouth, etc. etc.

At the risk of sounding like I think this case should have been solved by now, I do think the investigators on this case have 3 significant advantages working in their favor that most other homicide detectives don’t have- they know the exact make and model of the killer’s (or killer’s acquaintance) vehicle, they have the very strong possibility that their murderer knew or knt

I agree that if they had those things they would be at a big advantage but I think in this case the only solid thing they have is the video. The connection to the victim might not be apparent and the vehicle ID might not be so solid. I think you're right but I think if they did have all that we would be hearing about someone being questioned by now.

BTW I would add to your search list people who have sold or tried to sell their truck since then

Last edited:
My niece lives on the next block over and has heard very little...no more than we have here. So if someone did loan a truck that day, they may not even know about it...jmo
That is my concern too. This case needs more attention Nationally. The only reasons I can see for no arrest yet are 1. It’s eminent and evidence gathering, 2. Nowhere close because suspect vehicle is from out of area, or not publicized enough within local area or even spanish speaking community.

With their (the Barraza’s) reach within the Star Wars community and volunteering it is possible this vehicle/suspect is outside the area. Someone could have even borrowed from someone outside Texas and the owner would never know because of lack of publicity. If I were family /friends I’d be reaching out to major cities (in surrounding states) news stations asking for coverage and sharing on Facebook pages. I’d also be scanning Facebook marketplace and craigslist for recent sales and “for sales” matching the truck.

Another thing I have to mention out loud. I think because the community of Star Wars Cosplay they were in- the suspect pool of people may be especially difficult to investigate. The personality traits of that community would contain: highly intelligent people, socially awkward people, artistic and autistic people all of which would seem to make motive seeking / interpreting cumbersome.

This case bothers me as she seems like such a fabulous person. I hope justice is swift for her.

It seems like such a solvable case.

Does the killer hand her something with the left hand or just show her something before he/she shoots EB?

If the killer was a woman, I’m thinking this was some love triangle or perceived love triangle.

If the killer was a man, I think it opens up more possibilities.

It was so brazen, looked so planned. I don’t necessarily think the killer knew she was having the garage sale, they could have planned to just kill her in the house or when she opened the door.

I do find it interesting that the killer sat in the truck for 10ish seconds before hopping out to go kill her.

This case is going to be featured on Dateline soon. Not sure if I can link people's personal social medias but Andrea Canning was in town doing interviews.
Really, I haven’t heard of this. I am an avid dateline watcher. They don’t usually do cases that aren’t solved. And very rarely is it a new case like this. It hasn’t even been a month yet.

Elizabeth Barraza, know as Liz, a fervent Star Wars fan remembered for her kind soul and charity work with sick children, was gunned down in her Houston-area driveway by a mysterious possibly robe-clad suspect as Barraza planned a rummage sale.

The suspect was caught on video, which you can watch later in this article.

Now authorities are asking for the public’s help in providing information about the suspect, who might be a female or male. Harris County, Texas Sheriff Ed Gonzalez said authorities are seeking to get a “brutal killer” off the streets. Barraza’s emotional family and friends were also at the press conference.

“The woman gunned down outside her home in the 8600 block of Cedar Walk in Tomball on Friday morning has died from her wounds. Help our investigators find who killed 29-year-old Elizabeth Barraza. Call 713-274-9100 or @CrimeStopHOU at 713-222-TIPS,” the Harris County Sheriff’s Department wrote on Twitter. There is an up to $20,000 reward in the case.

Here’s what you need to know:

1. The Suspect Shot Barraza as She Set up a Rummage Sale to Pay for a 5th Anniversary Trip

Barraza, 29, was in her driveway around 6:55 a.m. on Friday, January 25, 2019. She was “setting up items in her driveway for a garage sale she had planned for later that morning,” said the sheriff. Authorities said she hadn’t publicized the garage sale much, but they did put out signs that morning.

“She was just hoping to sell a few things to make a little extra spending money for their 5th anniversary trip that they planned to leave on Sunday. In the early hours of the morning, minutes after (her husband) Sergio left for work, a coward drove up, approached my daughter, and forever changed our lives,” Barraza’s father, Bob Nuelle, said in a press conference. He described his daughter as “defenseless” when shot.

Authorities say Barraza was approached by an unidentified subject, possibly a female, who had stopped in a dark-colored pickup truck. The subject walked up the driveway, engaged Barraza in conversation, and then pointed a pistol at Barraza and shot her multiple times, the sheriff said. She was shot four times.

Barraza was taken to the hospital, but she succumbed to her injuries. The sheriff referred to the assailant as a “dangerous and callous killer.”

2. Authorities Say They Recovered Surveillance Video Showing the Suspect & Vehicle

Nearly 2 weeks after Liz Barraza was shot dead in her driveway, Investigators say they’re still unable to tell from this surveillance video if shooter is man or woman. Believe car is older black Nissan Frontier. REWARD IS AT 20K.

Videos shows what appears to be the suspect and the suspect vehicle.

Michael Ritchie, the lead investigator with the case, said authorities received several tips in the investigation. “One thing I do want to bring to light again was the suspect vehicle,” he emphasized at the press conference.

Ritchie said the vehicle was a black four-door Nissan Frontier truck. “That’s one thing we know for sure,” said Ritchie. “It’s not a common vehicle that you see all the time.”

He said that authorities recovered numerous videos from homes and businesses. “It may be older, mid to late 2000s,” he said. The truck “also has some type of badge or tag number” near the tailgate, a possible model number on it, he said.

According to Ritchie, as far as the suspect, “it is possibly female. It is possibly male.” The quality of the video prevented authorities from being certain on that point.

3. Barraza’s Dad Described Her as a ‘Simple, Kind & Generous Person’

Nuelle, Barraza’s father, read a statement at the press conference.

“The family is very appreciative of the sheriff’s office and Mr. Ritchie for everything they’ve done for us,” he said. “We stand here before you today because our beautiful daughter was murdered.”

The emotional father described his daughter as “a simple, kind and generous person happily living an amazing life of service. She was blessed with an incredible marriage to an amazing man. She spent her adult life spreading love and cheer to all of those around her.”

He continued, referencing Liz’s husband: “Sergio Barraza and Liz. They were good people before they met. But they made each other better, and together they were awe inspiring.”

The dad said the couple had “converted a passion for Star Wars” to help sick children and adults through charity organizations. “They had so much fun together and brought laughter to those who met them, never once asking for anything in return,” Nuelle said. Specifically, she worked with local 501st Legion.

“We never imagined life without her,” the heartbroken father said, his voice quavering.

4. Barraza’s Husband Described Her ‘Big Heart’ & Called the Shooter ‘Monstrous’

Sergio Barraza, Liz’s husband, also spoke at the press conference, growing emotional.

“My wife Liz was an amazing person. A beautiful person with a kindness of soul. She had such a big heart,” Sergio Barraza said.

He said the last words they shared were “I love you.”

They “devoted so much time to charity. She helped kids in hospitals, and volunteered for community events,” Sergio said. He said she passed away in the same hospital where they had done so much volunteerism.

“I don’t understand how someone could do this to her,” he said, calling the person “monstrous.” He expressed that he couldn’t understand how his “innocent” wife could have died this way and added that he had to “trade our 5th anniversary for her funeral.”

“We need justice for Liz,” he said, his voice cracking. “I need justice for Liz. I loved her.”

5. The Motive Is Unclear & Barraza Was Remembered for Her Love of Star Wars

Why the suspect approached Barraza is not clear.

There is no evidence of Ms. Barraza provoking the attack,” Ritchie said. He said the motive remains under investigation. It’s also not clear whether it was random or a targeted attack. Authorities don’t think anything was stolen.

“In my investigation, and in looking at Elizabeth and finding out a lot of information about her through different means, this woman from what I can see did not have a mean bone in her body. She treated everyone with respect. She was a loving person, and definitely this was not deserved,” Ritchie indicated.

Barraza was described as a “Harry Potter and Star Wars fan. In life, she sometimes channeled a Storm Trooper for charity and smiles,”

Family and friends held light sabers aloft at a vigil for Barraza, the television station reported.

Just trying to keep the interest going so we can find you did this awful shooting!

Really, I haven’t heard of this. I am an avid dateline watcher. They don’t usually do cases that aren’t solved. And very rarely is it a new case like this. It hasn’t even been a month yet.

Same thoughts we had when we saw the posts. Not sure if they're trying to get ahead of it or what the angle is. We shall see.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DazzelleShafer