Still Missing CA - Aranda Briones, 16, missing after a night out with friends, Moreno Valley, 13 Jan 2019 *arrest*

Investigators received evidence that led them to believe Aranda Briones, 16, was murdered

KAREN MIZOGUCHI
February 13, 2019 02:24 PM

Police believe missing California teen Aranda Briones was murdered, and have arrested two brothers in her presumed death.

Owen Skyler Shover, 18, and Gary Anthony Shover, 21, were “arrested for the murder” of Briones, according to a statement from the press conference Tuesday, Riverside County Sheriff’s Lt. Chris Durham said officials received evidence that led them to believe Briones, 16, who was last seen on Jan. 13, was murdered. “I don’t know what was taken from their backyard, but I do know evidence was collected that confirmed that [she] was the victim of a homicide,” Durham said.

According to the victim’s family, she and the two suspects were high school friends, KTLA reported.
https://people.com/crime/aranda-briones-missing-california-teen-brothers-arrested-for-murder/

Here is the area:

Google Maps
Thank you. Looks like just dirt roads out there. I hestitated to post because it could be any missing person, but it's not like some homeless person in a city just wandered there - this would likely be a body dump site:

KTLA "...Homicide detectives are investigating after unidentified human remains were discovered in a remote area in Llano on Wednesday, officials said. ..."

unidentified = unidentifiable
humans remains, not a "body"
remote area

Aranda has been missing for a month, since Jan 13.

Thank you. Looks like just dirt roads out there. I hestitated to post because it could be any missing person, but it's not like some homeless person in a city just wandered there - this would likely be a body dump site:

KTLA "...Homicide detectives are investigating after unidentified human remains were discovered in a remote area in Llano on Wednesday, officials said. ..."

unidentified = unidentifiable
humans remains, not a "body"
remote area

Aranda has been missing for a month, since Jan 13.
The dictionary does define “remains” as a deceased person’s body. I know the term seems to be used interchangeably when referring to a body vs. “parts”.

Sorry for the gruesome thought, but her body wasn’t necessarily disposed of intact....

Amateur opinion and speculation

Last edited:
Investigators received evidence that led them to believe Aranda Briones, 16, was murdered

KAREN MIZOGUCHI
February 13, 2019 02:24 PM

Police believe missing California teen Aranda Briones was murdered, and have arrested two brothers in her presumed death.

Owen Skyler Shover, 18, and Gary Anthony Shover, 21, were “arrested for the murder” of Briones, according to a statement from the press conference Tuesday, Riverside County Sheriff’s Lt. Chris Durham said officials received evidence that led them to believe Briones, 16, who was last seen on Jan. 13, was murdered. “I don’t know what was taken from their backyard, but I do know evidence was collected that confirmed that [she] was the victim of a homicide,” Durham said.

According to the victim’s family, she and the two suspects were high school friends, KTLA reported.
Missing Calif. Teen Presumed Dead After Going to Park with Friends as Pair of Brothers Are Charged
oh dear, evidence that led to the conclusion of homicide - just like KB. Wonder what it could be and if they will reveal it. prayers to the family. another killer boyfriend IMO. Girls are just not safe anywhere sometimes. JMO

2/14/19 Last update from Riverside County Sheriff

Press Release: Missing Juvenile
Agency: Moreno Valley Police

Station Area: Moreno Valley
Written Date: 01/18/19 Time: 1:00 PM
Incident Date: 01/14/19 Time: 6:53 PM
Incident Location: 24300 Block of Via Vargas Dr. Moreno Valley
Reporting Officer: Sergeant Steve Favero #3263
File Number(s): MV190140275

Update 02-12-2019:

On January 14, 2019, officers from the Moreno Valley Police Department began their investigation into missing 16-year-old, Aranda Briones, who was last seen by friends and family on Sunday, January 13, 2019. The case was initially referred to Moreno Valley Investigators who began an exhaustive search for Aranda. In the days that followed, the Moreno Valley Police Department obtained the assistance of the Riverside County Sheriff’s Special Investigations Bureau and the FBI. Based on circumstances learned during the investigation, the Sheriff’s Central Homicide Unit assumed the case.

On February 11, 2019, at approximately 10:30 PM, members of the Sheriff’s SWAT team served a search warrant in the 16200 block of Grevillea Street in the City of Hesperia. They were assisted by investigators with the Sheriff’s Central Homicide Unit, Major Crimes Unit and the Moreno Valley Police Special Enforcement Team. Brothers Owen Skyler Shover, age 18, and Gary Anthony Shover, age 21, were arrested for the murder of Aranda Briones.

This is an active investigation and we are still seeking the public’s assistance in helping us find Aranda. The Moreno Valley Police Department encourages anyone with information regarding this incident to contact Central Homicide Investigator Dickey at (951) 955-2777, or Moreno Valley Police Department Investigator Drexler at (951) 486-6700.

Citizens may also submit a tip using the Sheriff's Homicide Tipline online form.

ETA: County Sheriff will be first to announce any remains believed to be/identified as AB.

Last edited:
The dictionary does define “remains” as a deceased person’s body. I know the term seems to be used interchangeably when referring to a body vs. “parts”.

Sorry for the gruesome thought, but her body wasn’t necessarily disposed of intact....

Amateur opinion and speculation
Generally, if the body is in a state of just early onset decomposition (or just past rigor) it's referred to as a "body" (i.e. found within a day or two after death in colder climate) When the body is has begun to decompose where identification is difficult, its usually referred to as "remains". There is no hard and fast rule with it, just my experience. So sad for her family but hopefully there will be closure and justice.

Brothers to be arraigned Friday, February 15.
Brothers charged with killing missing Moreno Valley teen Aranda Briones to be arraigned Friday – Daily Bulletin
"The district attorney’s office said it filed a special circumstance that alleges the Shovers were lying-in-wait before killing Briones,16. A guilty verdict would make each eligible for the death penalty."

Oh my gosh. I am stunned. What in the world happened? I can't even begin to imagine. I don't believe any information regarding confession or evidence has been released. With no body (that we know of) they must have strong evidence to make this charge, right? That poor girl, bless her soul.

BBM WOW! I was thinking accidental killing not premeditated for this case. How horrible! MOO

From your link
"The district attorney’s office said it filed a special circumstance that alleges the Shovers were lying-in-wait before killing Briones,16. A guilty verdict would make each eligible for the death penalty."

Cowards. 2 against 1

Oh my gosh. I am stunned. What in the world happened? I can't even begin to imagine. I don't believe any information regarding confession or evidence has been released. With no body (that we know of) they must have strong evidence to make this charge, right? That poor girl, bless her soul.

I read on one of the sites posted here that LE found blankets buried in the home's yard. I bet they had blood, way too much blood and something tells me that it's possibly Aranda's blood.

RIP Aranda

Brothers Charged With Murder, Possibly Face Death Penalty in Killing of Missing Teen Aranda Briones: DA

2/15/19

An arraignment for two brothers accused of killing a missing Moreno Valley teenager was postponed on Friday.

Owen Shover, left, and Gary Shover, right, are seen during their court appearance on Feb. 15, 2019. (Credit: KTLA)

The two young men allegedly "killed the victim while lying in wait," according to the charging document.

The special circumstance allegation makes the defendants eligible for the death penalty, although a decision whether to seek a death sentence will be decided later by DA Mike Hestrin, prosecutors said.

Their arraignments have been continued to March 1.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryEllen77
Back