GA GA - Shirley, 87, & Russell Dermond, 88, Putnam County, 2 May 2014 - #12

Status
Not open for further replies.
FWIW Dropping SD in the lake in the cove by her house would not have slowed down the investigation much

I would like to know the significance of the location she was dropped. Hoping Levi and TRicia can get there and investigate the WHY THERE.....she was clearly on the edge of the main river according to posts and articles. WHY in the stand of trees? Did fishermen frequent that area? What if theyd snagged her with fishing line and hook? I am thinking boats dont GO IN THAT stand of trees if that's where she was. Idont remember what I read that I am thinking that other than the tree she was snagged on. I have looked it up on maps, there are fishing holes ALL AROUND THAT AREA..........WHY THERE??? IF you DONT want the body found, WHY THERE and WHY didnt they do it right to ensure she didnt surface? No cut was made in her body to release the gases..........didnt they KNOW about the gases? My god they cut his head off...........they werne't stupid were they? I mean one simple thing they could have done to ensure she wasnt discovered and she was discovered on the edge of the main river, I doubt the current moved her much if any due to the blocks.

Just some thoughts, but if she'd been at the cove at her house it wouldnt have slowed or confused the investigation I think

BUt if she'd not been found it would have slowed the investigation further

But she was found.......at the edge of the main river?

WHY THERE? WHY not haul her completely away from the lake and bury her somewhere??

and if the head is not there where she was, why didnt they take her and the head away from the lake, if they took him at all

THere is a store, it's old IIRC, not sure about camera's surely inside atleast.....Dont know how busy it stays,I've been in the daytime, only patron at the time, lakeside sbdv behind it down loong stretch of country road, IIRC it was behind it

16 is dark, no homes on it........would they have a need to stop THERE? It woud be nice to think there was video and atleast some faces were captured Fri and Sat night. As cautious as this was, I'd guess they did what needed b4 getting to the D's if from out of town. IF in town, they could shop ANYwhere or if contractors, had some cinder blocks.

But the campground or park visits anyway, some of it I THINK was honor system, dropping cash in a box.

THat Eagle Shoals thing is that the campground? anyone? I didnt frequent there but have been there

I'll see if I can find a link

Re: the store. I was just "hopefully" thinking they might have an exterior camera... And that camera possibly caught footage of some road traffic... on Hwy 16 or Long Shoals. Killers wouldn't necessarily had to stop/shop at the store. Would there be a great deal of traffic between the (likely) hours murders occurred?? Again, I'm just grabbing at "hopeful" possibilities that SS did or did not investigate.

I keep coming back to what was actually gained as a result of these gruesome murders? If they had both been shot and left at the home and there had been a robbery, we wouldn't be here asking these kinds of questions. It's the details that read like an Agatha Christie novel and what appears to be in depth premeditation that went into carrying it out that, for me, makes this crime like no other. MOO.
EXACTLY! SOMEBODY went to GREAT LENGTHS to PREVENT being caught........Mob wouldnt have worried about it.........robber wouldnt have beheaded them and on and on

Last edited:
Re: the store. I was just "hopefully" thinking they might have an exterior camera... And that camera possibly caught footage of some road traffic... on Hwy 16 or Long Shoals. Killers wouldn't necessarily had to stop/shop at the store. Would there be a great deal of traffic between the (likely) hours murders occurred?? Again, I'm just grabbing at "hopeful" possibilities that SS did or did not investigate.
Its a real old store, small operation.

Well there is information that SS hasn't shared sooo, and I dont know how thorough they were. Hoping they checked all cameras in a radius of that area for SOMEthing

This may be a stupid question (sorry), but what is SS? I’ve followed this case from the start in msm, but not on here. I just joined websleuths a few months ago. TIA

I, too, think this happened early morning. I can’t figure out why. The why is missing. The beheading is freaky. I can’t imagine they owed anyone money. Could they have snitched on someone to LE? Like, possibly a drug dealer? This is JMO, of course.

This may be a stupid question (sorry), but what is SS? I’ve followed this case from the start in msm, but not on here. I just joined websleuths a few months ago. TIA
SS is SHeriff Sills............ive been there, there was recently one I saw and still dont know, I didnt/wouldnt ask, hahaha

Last edited:
Definitley would solve this if we had the Why .

I keep thinking, nothing that is being discussed fits and what isnt being discussed may be the answer but not many want to go there

BUT, as Levi mentioned, there is a lawsuit that someone found so theyll be following up on that.

Maybe it'll lead to something and if nothing ELSE, atleast ELIMINATE it so we can then focus elsewhere

SS says he is still withholding information so one little piece can prevent us from knowing or speculating further on what we think. One little piece could solve it too
I, too, think this happened early morning. I can’t figure out why. The why is missing. The beheading is freaky. I can’t imagine they owed anyone money. Could they have snitched on someone to LE? Like, possibly a drug dealer? This is JMO, of course.

Definitley would solve this if we had the Why .

I keep thinking, nothing that is being discussed fits and what isnt being discussed may be the answer but not many want to go there

BUT, as Levi mentioned, there is a lawsuit that someone found so theyll be following up on that.

Maybe it'll lead to something and if nothing ELSE, atleast ELIMINATE it so we can then focus elsewhere

SS says he is still withholding information so one little piece can prevent us from knowing or speculating further on what we think. One little piece could solve it too

True. I’ve wondered if they beheaded RD to do something so shocking, it diverts attention away from an important clue. It certainly IS shocking.

Just listened to Dr. Cyril Wecht's portion of the podcast and he said people can hold onto a grudge for a long time; so I'm wondering if the Dermonds attended any parole hearings for the guy who killed their son (to insist he stay in jail)? My very first gut feeling when I heard about the case was that someone was very, very mad at Mr. Dermond. Possibly felt short-changed or underpaid for some work done? Then came back with his buddies (after maybe smoking some meth?) and demanded to be paid. I'm sure SS looked into any work having been done on the yard or dock, so that may not hold water. Did Shirley answer the door and they asked to speak to Mr. D? If he had that serious cut on his finger, he was alive when he was beheaded, right? Did they then take Shirley and why? To throw off the investigation only? So many questions! I will never forget this sweet couple. It did cross my mind that one of the grandkids lost it but I think the case would have been solved if any family member was involved. So sad!

True. I’ve wondered if they beheaded RD to do something so shocking, it diverts attention away from an important clue. It certainly IS shocking.
It does indeed. First thoughts: cartel, drugs........but they're 90 for heavens sake! LOL almost
THen kidnapping........had them posting bulletin boards everywhere, then foudn her in the lake 5 miles from home, she wasn't beheaded.

what did they want him there found for?
WHy didnt they make sure she stayed submerged? or hidden in another location for heavens sake.........

yeah seems to ME, of course my opinion only (MOO) that it was just all to distract, I swear I keep going back to that

BUT there may be something we are all missing

Still, several factors i cant get past

And apparntly whoever was there thought and knew they were safe to hang all day, knowing people would be distracted with the party and attendance, KNEW The D's didnt have rides with anyone TO the party and were very familiar with the home and location to hang out there all day. Read the FBI profiles.......This leads me to believe it was not cartel, maybe not even someone they worked with in the past........but someone they knew well and were comfortable in the home or atleast the neighborhood and area of GW..........but nothing is set in stone and especially not this case
Sounds like a relative, doesn't it? Maybe someone who even slept over.

Is there any way they could have taken Mrs. D thinking they would get her to get the money owed them from a bank or ATM? I don't suppose she had her purse or ATM card with her so that's probably a far reaching thought. Maybe if they knew they couldn't get her to the bank, they decided then to kill her in the boat? I'm stretching and I know it. Just haven't thought about this case in a long time.

Sounds like a relative, doesn't it? Maybe someone who even slept over.
Someone very close if not.....or someone who USED to stay with them, someone who felt very comfortable hanging around all day or even long enough to take care of all this and then leave.......it took some time. SO the comfort level of being there is what I keep going back to also ...and with that......from the getgo; NO forced entry indicates someone they knew.....but, the lingering Hmmm.........ironic the sbdv was once called Linger Longer

Can someone fill me in on what I missed about "staying around all day"? If someone committed these murders, then stayed in the house, wouldn't there be tons of forensic evidence? I'm anxious to learn more since I haven't checked in on this couple in such a long time. I was of the opinion the murderers never entered the house because it was spotless. Also, does anybody give any credence to Dr. Wecht's thoughts that someone held a grudge for so long?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23