GUILTY NY - Valerie Reyes, 24, found deceased, New Rochelle, 29 Jan 2019 *Arrest*

Just got a google alert on the arrest!!
Thanks all for the articles & updates & discussion!

Yeah, I don't believe she fell & hit her head either - why bind her up??

So no further court dates available? I see @cybervampira here - eh?

^^ Respectfully bolded by me

<snip> Da Silva, 24, has been in federal custody since his arrest in Queens on Monday evening; no bail was set, and officials have not said where he was held.

<snip> Da Silva was held without bail, though one could be set later. Court filings indicate a preliminary hearing has been scheduled for March 13.

He is being represented by Susanne Brody and Jason Ser of the public defenders. They did not return a request for comment Wednesday.

ICE: Accused Greenwich suitcase killer overstayed his visa

Dear Kittybunny,

Thank you for your excellent post, especially your mention of Gavin DeBecker's book.

"The Gift of Fear" is critical for everyone to read, especially women.

We have discussed this extremely important book on Websleuths for years and it certainly has its place in most threads. I'm so glad you brought it up.

In the book, Gavin illustrates how our intuition, or gut feeling is an internal warning system which is a survival tool for humans.

I wish this book was mandatory reading in schools. This is such an important book and would be an ideal topic for a family discussion.

I second that 100% I have no doubt that book has saved many lives.

It astonishes me how much of the reporting on this case from the start has been misinformation. Even down to the perp. First some reports were saying he was 33, now he is 24. The first articles to come out on or about 11-12/02/2019 were that he was Venezuelan now he is Portuguese, with possibly a duel citizenship of Venezuela. First reports where she was spotted at the New Rochelle train station Tuesday 29/01/2019, obviously this wasn't her nor her at the ATM in Lower Manhattan 20/01/2019 at 2am. Also reported was she was at a hospital at one point. If this is just one case where all this information can be misleading I can see why people in the PI and LE field have such a tough time finding the fact from fiction and time lines of events.

Da Silva (who, to your point about inconsistencies, was reported to be "De Silva") is a citizen of both Portugal and Venezuela. When LE arrested him, he expressed a preference that they report him to Portugal, not Venezuela. Assuming he's way-over optimistically thinking about where he'd rather be deported.
I don't know how dual citizenship works, but I researched visa waiver programs. Portugal is one of about 35 countries where the U.S. allows its citizens to visit for up to 90 days. Venezuela is not part of the program. Da Silva should have left the U. S. by the Fall of 2017 under the program. ICE: Accused killer over-stayed Visa
I'm curious as to whether they've figured out 1) whether he brought the tape and string that he bound Reyes with (i.e. premeditated?), and 2) did they find the small duffle bag that he was caught on video camera carrying into his apartment the morning after she was last heard from?
It's just so awful. I worked in Greenwich several years ago, and can't fathom this depravity, let alone so nearby.

I'm not surprised he'd ask for the Portuguese consulate, not the Venezuelan one, given the current volatility in Venezuela. If he has dual citizenship, any attorney, public defender or private, would probably recommend that to him given the current state of affairs in Venezuela. IF by some freak twist of (in)justice he were found not guilty, he would obviously be deported, with Portugal a safer place to go than Venezuela.

Here's a new article on JdS: Portrait of a suspected killer: the man behind Valerie Reyes’ death
Still pretty limited information. Its last paragraph made me tear up a bit. I also had been confused about the "boyfriend" timing initially; the more recent man who said he was her boyfriend posted this, per the news article: "'Couldn’t believe it when you told me no one ever gifted you flowers. I went to shower you with flowers and love when you told me. You were looking forward to Valentine’s Day, and so I stand here, still giving you the endless love you deserve. Happy Valentine’s Day, Val,' wrote the friend, <redacted by me>, on social media."

In the below Greenwich Time article, U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement said: "Immigration authorities “will aim to take custody of Da Silva for immediate removal when he is released from criminal custody, if and when he released from jail." Not sure what criminal custody means.... Wonder if he could be deported before trial and completion of a sentence or if there's a law that says he must stay for trial and completed sentence before he can be deported? ICE: Accused Greenwich suitcase killer overstayed his visa

Thank you. I think it has taught me a lesson not to jump the gun on things.

Well, in all fairness, we are all just theorizing, hypthesizing, and analyzing. It's not like you are the prosecutor who just lost the case. But yes, there are lessons for all of us. ;) Also, this was a confusing situation to say the least. :confused:

In the below Greenwich Time article, U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement said: "Immigration authorities “will aim to take custody of Da Silva for immediate removal when he is released from criminal custody, if and when he released from jail." Not sure what criminal custody means.... Wonder if he could be deported before trial and completion of a sentence or if there's a law that says he must stay for trial and completed sentence before he can be deported? ICE: Accused Greenwich suitcase killer overstayed his visa

BBM

I'm no immigration expert but I think he stays in US until all legal proceedings against him have ended, especially murder. Someone else will confirm, I'm sure.

Yes, I believe that is true - he'll be deported AFTER he finishes his sentencing - well if he is convicted.

Not to get too political but to elaborate on the question ctmom posed--

IIUC this is a major part of the "wall" debate. Once foreigners cross the border, legally or illegally, they're entitled to stay in the US until legal proceedings have completed. Many illegals caught, even without major or minor criminal charges, are charged for illegal crossing then they get released after their initial processing and fade into the US populace. The end. :)

https://nypost.com/2019/02/16/valerie-reyes-alleged-killer-cries-during-jailhouse-interview/

The Queens man charged with killing his ex and dumping her body in Greenwich, Conn., bawled uncontrollably during a jailhouse interview Saturday, repeatedly apologizing and insisting he tried to revive her — before he “put her in the suitcase and ran.”
[.....]
“I didn’t know what to do,” insisted Javier Da Silva Rojas, 24, during an exclusive, 45-minute interview in Westchester County Jail, during which he uttered the word “sorry” more than two dozen times.

“I don’t know what happened. I didn’t mean to do it.

“I’m a bad person.”

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998
Back