IL - Actor Jussie Smollett allegedly attacked in hate crime being black & gay Jan 2019 #2*ARRESTS*

Status
Not open for further replies.
The request to interview Smollett was made by detectives through Smollett’s attorneys late Friday night, but detectives had not heard back as of Saturday evening, according to Guglielmi.

Detectives investigating if Jussie Smollett paid 2 men to stage attack: source

His lawyers say that Smollett will continue to cooperate with a Chicago police investigation into the reported attack.

Jussie Smollett, ‘Empire’ actor, denies role in assault

Request made to speak to him friday night and by saturday evening still had not heard back.

That’s cooperating?

The brothers told cops that the alleged attack in Chicago was supposed to happen before Jan. 29 and that they practiced it in the days before it happened.

Smollett, 36, also allegedly paid for the rope, which was purchased from the Crafty Beaver Hardware Store in the Ravenswood neighborhood the weekend of Jan. 25.

https://pagesix.com/2019/02/17/jussie-smollett-pals-reportedly-rehearsed-alleged-attack/

Sources said one of the brothers held the rope and poured bleach on Smollett during the 2 a.m. attack, while the other donned a red hat and shouted racist and homophobic slurs at him.

The red hat was bought at an Uptown beauty supply store.

The brothers told cops that the alleged attack in Chicago was supposed to happen before Jan. 29 and that they practiced it in the days before it happened.

Smollett, 36, also allegedly paid for the rope, which was purchased from the Crafty Beaver Hardware Store in the Ravenswood neighborhood the weekend of Jan. 25.

https://pagesix.com/2019/02/17/jussie-smollett-pals-reportedly-rehearsed-alleged-attack/

Sources said one of the brothers held the rope and poured bleach on Smollett during the 2 a.m. attack, while the other donned a red hat and shouted racist and homophobic slurs at him.

The red hat was bought at an Uptown beauty supply store.
This convinces me that JS wanted this to be captured on camera. His disappointment at it not being caught on camera in the GMA interview was probably the only truthful thing he said in that interview. IMO

Smollett, who is black and openly gay, told ABC News in an interview that aired Thursday morning that he believes the people of interest were the ones who attacked him.

“I don’t have any doubt in my mind that that’s them,” he told the network. “Never did.”

I realize this quote is days old, but...
He "never had any doubt" that the two white, racist strangers "who attacked him" were these Nigerian brothers he was previously acquainted with? What?

If he staged this attack, and it's looking very much like he did, the ramifications of his acts are huge. It wasn't enough to send a threatening letter to get attention (if he did that too), then he doubled down to stage a phony attack. He used these two brothers as pawns and is now throwing them under the bus. How is that for compassion?

All of his tweets - condescending, hateful, sanctimonious (many now deleted) - it all wreaks of arrogance and narcissism. For a couple weeks we WS'ers have had to tip-toe around the fact that this alleged attack was WAY off. Something was not right. Things did not add up. It was so incredibly obvious. Yet we were sometimes vilified on this thread as being hateful and anti-victim. No, I think we were only looking for the truth.

I hope those of you Quiznos(sic) supporters do not use this as an opportunity to paint with a broad brush against those you do not see eye to eye with. This act doesn't reflect on "the other side". I don't eat Quiznos(sic) and I am not a fan of their leader. You and I have been allies in this case to find the truth. Let's not bring anything else into this discussion other than the acts of this seemingly troubled individual. This is not a referendum on the state of things in our country. Let's leave all that out. Please.

Now it seems the truth is that this arrogant man has done real, lasting damage to those people who actually do get victimized because of their race or sexual orientation. It happens, and it happens a lot in this country. I have witnessed it myself. The next time someone claims to be a victim of a hate crime there will be pause because of Jussie Smollett. That should anger all of us.
O
If he staged this attack, and it's looking very much like he did, the ramifications of his acts are huge. It wasn't enough to send a threatening letter to get attention (if he did that too), then he doubled down to stage a phony attack. He used these two brothers as pawns and is now throwing them under the bus. How is that for compassion?

All of his tweets - condescending, hateful, sanctimonious (many now deleted) - it all wreaks of arrogance and narcissism. For a couple weeks we WS'ers have had to tip-toe around the fact that this alleged attack was WAY off. Something was not right. Things did not add up. It was so incredibly obvious. Yet we were sometimes vilified on this thread as being hateful and anti-victim. No, I think we were only looking for the truth.

I hope those of you Quiznos(sic) supporters do not use this as an opportunity to paint with a broad brush against those you do not see eye to eye with. This act doesn't reflect on "the other side". I don't eat Quiznos(sic) and I am not a fan of their leader. You and I have been allies in this case to find the truth. Let's not bring anything else into this discussion other than the acts of this seemingly troubled individual. This is not a referendum on the state of things in our country. Let's leave all that out. Please.

Now it seems the truth is that this arrogant man has done real, lasting damage to those people who actually do get victimized because of their race or sexual orientation. It happens, and it happens a lot in this country. I have witnessed it myself. The next time someone claims to be a victim of a hate crime there will be pause because of Jussie Smollett. That should anger all of us.
Well said, all of that; one thing I appreciate about this forum is that most on here are astute enough to not paint with a broad brush. However, I think this case is a referendum on the state of this country if only to the extent that the talking heads in politics and media were so quick not only to tell his story without question, but to capitalize on it as well. And God forbid anybody questioned it publicly before the dam broke.

With the letter that had been sent about a week prior the FBI may have already had a ton of evidence. It also sounds like the FBI participated in the interviews with the brothers. What really stood out to me with this was JS and his manager's refusal to hand over their phones and with that ongoing refusal, I'd say that JS hasn't cooperated with CPD since day 1 and it sounds like the noncooperation has escalated with him now refusing to meet with CPD. If this becomes a confirmed hoax, what might have done him in was the letter with that getting the FBI involved in investigating a domestic terrorism case where the FBI is going to take that very seriously. Terrorist hoaxing is an actual specific federal crime under the Stop Terrorist and Military Hoaxes Act of 2004.

One of the many unique and great qualities of the Entire show and production that helps it to be successful is that other than a few core cast members the story lines call for moving castmates that come and go. It also is a vehicle that other "stars" can come and do a few episodes and then be written out. From a financial standpoint the cast does not get to a point in a "successful" production to make demands like $1M per episode like has happened to so many others. The short of it is that everybody knows when signing on to the show it's not forever. I guess he didn't get it.

JMO

In one of the interviews he gave he stated that while they were "tusselling" he "noticed" that he had a rope around his neck. If someone puts a noose around your neck you feel it, not "notice" it. The reason those are called "hate" crimes is because they are filled with emotional hate. When they happen they don't result in a fat lip and some bleach in the middle of the night. This incident was not interrupted by some witnesses or something else. I believe people who commit "hate crimes" finish what they start and leave some sort of signature to explain their disdain.

JMO

Hate Crime — FBI
[The top three bias motivated offenses reported in the FBI UCR Program’s hate crime data set are destruction/damage/vandalism, intimidation, and simple assault.]

Bureau of Justice Statistics - Hate Crime Victimization, 2004-2015 Press Release
[in 5 percent the offender left hate symbols at the scene.]

Well, most hate crimes seem not to be hugely violent, so this reported one is in line with the simple assault(a quick tussle and punch to the face and a few kicks) of the top three, and not many investigated leave hate symbols, per the second site. That said, the noose would qualify as a hate symbol, consistent with just draping it on the victim rather than attempted strangulation, and I thought JS said he noticed the noose after the "attackers" ran off.

I did not see any data on how such encounters usually end, but given the top three offenses, I would guess most incidents end quickly without outside interruptions, like most fights and blusters. However, of course, the targeted nature evident in *this* narrative doesn't fit with some quickie random encounter on the street at 2 AM. About 50 percent of reported hate crimes are non-stranger incidents, though.

This convinces me that JS wanted this to be captured on camera. His disappointment at it not being caught on camera in the GMA interview was probably the only truthful thing he said in that interview. IMO
I don’t know — I think if it were caught on camera, it would look even more staged than it already does. Then again, he hasn’t exactly been thinking this through in any event.

20th Century Fox Television said it had no comment or statement at this time.

Probe into alleged Jussie Smollett attack shifts to whether actor staged incident, source says

"It feels like if I had said it was a Muslim or a Mexican or someone black, I feel like the doubters would have supported me a lot much more, and that says a lot about the place we are in our country right now," he said.

I don’t blame Fox for holding their tongue. When it is evident/proven they will then act.

20th Century Fox Television said it had no comment or statement at this time.

Probe into alleged Jussie Smollett attack shifts to whether actor staged incident, source says

"It feels like if I had said it was a Muslim or a Mexican or someone black, I feel like the doubters would have supported me a lot much more, and that says a lot about the place we are in our country right now," he said.

I don’t blame Fox for holding their tongue. When it is evident/proven they will then act.

Um, no we wouldn't Jussie. Congratulations for making one of the dumbest statements ever.

Anyone care to estimate how much $ has been racked up in CPD, detectives, FBI manpower..hours/cost ...since the reported crime?o_O
The CPD should charge him for expenses incurred of the investigation, and if it turns out that it WAS a staged hoax, JS should be charged with a hate crime as well, IMOHO, MOO, etc.

The CPD should charge him for expenses incurred of the investigation, and if it turns out that it WAS a staged hoax, JS should be charged with a hate crime as well, IMOHO, MOO, etc.

Agree. It IS a hate crime, just not against who he claimed it was! The attack was born out of HIS hate.

With the letter that had been sent about a week prior the FBI may have already had a ton of evidence. It also sounds like the FBI participated in the interviews with the brothers. What really stood out to me with this was JS and his manager's refusal to hand over their phones and with that ongoing refusal, I'd say that JS hasn't cooperated with CPD since day 1 and it sounds like the noncooperation has escalated with him now refusing to meet with CPD. If this becomes a confirmed hoax, what might have done him in was the letter with that getting the FBI involved in investigating a domestic terrorism case where the FBI is going to take that very seriously. Terrorist hoaxing is an actual specific federal crime under the Stop Terrorist and Military Hoaxes Act of 2004.

You can probably add obstruction charges. You don't lie to the feds. You just don't.

You have to wonder what advice he is being given right now as dragging this out and denying it isn’t going to do him any favours here and will just damage him even more in the public eye.

Maybe he can do a another national tv show and cry and try and gain some sympathy?!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member