Midwest States - IL, IN, IA, KS, MI, MN, MO, SD, ND, NE, WI, OH - Weather Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Washington, IA here - we had a 2 hour ice delay today, looks like the same tomorrow. My kids have had 1 full day of school since January 18 and have now had three days taken from Sping Break to offset it.

I’m so tired of winter...

Washington, IA here - we had a 2 hour ice delay today, looks like the same tomorrow. My kids have had 1 full day of school since January 18 and have now had three days taken from Sping Break to offset it...

Add more school days or seek a waiver? Michigan schools must decide

Freezing conditions pushed some Michigan school districts on Wednesday to close for their seventh day this school year, which will force their superintendents to decide whether to add more instruction time to the calendar or seek a state waiver to avoid the loss of aid...

Wintry mix, wind to blow through Southeast Michigan this week

A blustery February in Southeast Michigan will continue this week, with storms bringing a wintry mix to book-end the work week.

National Weather Service meteorologist Brian Tilley said that February has been characterized by a "wild swing of active weather systems," Tilley said. "It was a quiet December and we've been making up for it since."...

Wintry mix, wind to blow through Southeast Michigan this week

Reactions: byo
Metro area under winter storm watch until Wednesday

The winter has more in store for Metro Detroit.

Snow is expected to develop across Southeast Michigan Monday night and then turn into a wintry mix of sleet and freezing rain Tuesday morning and afternoon, according to meteorologists at the National Weather Service's office in White Lake Township.

As a result, the agency has issued a winter storm watch for the region Monday night through Wednesday morning. The watch means it's possible the area could see significant amounts of snow or ice accumulation, which may affect travel...

Winter storm watch in Metro Detroit tonight: What you need to know

Snow, freezing rain expected across area

Last edited:
Reactions: byo
Wintry mix, sleet and rain pelting region Tuesday

A winter storm, including an ice warning and up to 11 inches of snow in some areas of the northern Lower Peninsula, led to a difficult commute Tuesday morning.

The Great Lakes region should brace for an extended round of damaging weather: The hazardous mix is likely to remain through Wednesday, the National Weather Service says. Snow, sleet, freezing rain and high winds are in the mix...

:( don't know how much more I can take of this!

Wintry mix, sleet and rain pelting region Tuesday

A winter storm, including an ice warning and up to 11 inches of snow in some areas of the northern Lower Peninsula, led to a difficult commute Tuesday morning.

The Great Lakes region should brace for an extended round of damaging weather: The hazardous mix is likely to remain through Wednesday, the National Weather Service says. Snow, sleet, freezing rain and high winds are in the mix...

I've never seen this happen before, but ice took out over a dozen electric POLES this afternoon. We've had massive power outages, 50 mph gusts, ice, snow, white-out conditions. This is in the Quad Cities area IA/IL.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1550009247514.jpg
    FB_IMG_1550009247514.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 7
Babies! My friend and I were discussing this, we grew up in Montana. Between the two of us we span about 25 years of school in Montana, we cannot remember ONE day of school canceled due to weather, two days we were let go early. Geez!

I did live in Chicago in the 60's, and remember the big blizzard of 67...that was crazy snow! We don't get lake effect snow here.

Babies! My friend and I were discussing this, we grew up in Montana. Between the two of us we span about 25 years of school in Montana, we cannot remember ONE day of school canceled due to weather, two days we were let go early. Geez!

I did live in Chicago in the 60's, and remember the big blizzard of 67...that was crazy snow! We don't get lake effect snow here.
Not babies. Our school didn’t cancel yesterday and 3 buses ended up in a ditch. Better to go to school in June than children’s funerals in February.

Not babies. Our school didn’t cancel yesterday and 3 buses ended up in a ditch. Better to go to school in June than children’s funerals in February.

Sorry to hear this. They do cancel bus service, but not school here.

Sorry to hear this. They do cancel bus service, but not school here.
Well, an awful lot of midwestern students are rural. Holding classes when half the kids can’t make it makes no sense. If the buses can’t get there, then there’s no reason rural kids should get behind their peers in school. I don’t see how that would be fair. I’m glad the laws here do not allow that.

Metro Detroit weather: Timeline for Sunday snow, how much to expect

...Between 2 p.m. and 5 p.m., snow starts to arrive south of I-94 and west of I-275. Light to moderate snow slowly become more widespread after 5 p.m. ET; for Sunday evening and especially Sunday night. Individuals and families with dinner plans need to use extreme caution on area roads...

DH and I planned to do a belated Valentine's Day dinner this evening. Not sure I'll want to venture out if the roads are bad.

Last edited:
Michigan lawmakers may forgive emergency snow days

Lansing, Mich. – Michigan lawmakers are considering whether to cut schools some slack after frigid temperatures and other weather caused a high number of snow days.

State law forgives K-12 districts from making up six days that have been canceled for emergencies, and schools can get a waiver for three additional days. Some legislators from both parties say the wintry weather has been so extreme that the law should be loosened.

Many districts have already reached or exceeded nine snow days. Some are up to 15 or 16, which means their students would have at least an extra week of school in June...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Curious.tea