Found Deceased UK - Libby Squire, 21, last seen getting into taxi outside Welly club, Hull, 31 Jan 2019 #8 *ARREST*

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still cannot understand the taxi events. The taxi drops her off, LS falls over, taxi man gets out to pick her up, but doesn’t help her into her house. Surely if you’re there and picking her up off the floor, you’re going to make sure she gets in her house or if no key, not just leave her there!?

The taxi driver probably did the best he could, we really don't know what Libby said to him. What we do know is that he came forward and has helped the police, he also helped Libby when she fell over, so this shows that he did take some care to ensure that she was 'safe' before he left. Libby was already headed away from her front door at the point of falling over...

“We asked her if she was all right and she mumbled something incomprehensible. Libby started walking away from her front door.
“She was stumbling and fell over. We were going to help but the taxi driver got out and helped her up.”
Fellow student Leon Caplin, also 20, added: “Then our taxi came and we had to go. We wish now we had stayed. I hope she is found."

"Walking away from her front door" suggests she walked to her front door, realised she didn't have her keys and then walked away. The taxi driver may have been waiting at the side of the road to see that she safely entered her house, because he was still there to offer assistance when she walked away and fell over. For all we know, Libby may have told him that she didn't need his help. We know that grey beard offered to help and then got back into his vehicle, suggesting she declined.

I'm sure they all wish they had done things differently, the doormen, her friends, the witnesses, the taxi driver - but nobody could have known, and I'm sure everybody did what they thought was best at the time.

I have been away from this page for a few days, very sad to see that there isn't any new information. I was walking outside last night, it wasn't below freezing and I had a coat on, but I felt cold and miserable walking through the wind and rain. I just couldn't help but think about the freezing conditions that Libby would have been in that night and how she would have felt. It's just so sad, I think about her all the time.

"Walking away from her front door" suggests she walked to her front door, realised she didn't have her keys and then walked away.

I'd be more convinced if they'd said she went to the door, but one is quoted as saying "The taxi dropped her off. She got out and was walking down the street." To me it sounds as though she walked off down the street without going to her door. Of course this comes from a tabloid report and they may have said more. It may also be that the taxi didn't drop her directly outside her house, but a few doors down.
Police divers search river for student, 21, who vanished on 'drunken' night out

Anyway as far as I'm aware, we do not know that she didn't have a key - that's still just a theory. Don't let it become a "fact" until we know more.

Last edited:
While we all await new developments, an article about underwear-stealing.

"Said one female investigator in the Kirkland Police Department: "If (a burglary victim) can't find anything that's gone, the first thing I ask is, did you check the underwear drawer?"
"As ridiculous as the problem first appears, the sobering truth is that that impulse to steal underwear can be related to drives far more serious. Perhaps a quarter of all men who engage in such fetishes and nuisance behaviors also have raped women; half may have molested girls, indicates one major scientific study."
"The three men he arrested over the past few years for stealing women's underwear were all watching their victims and returned to the scene of their crimes. He caught them using hidden cameras installed in the women's homes."

Living | Stolen Underwear: An Occurrence That Points To Serious Problems | Seattle Times Newspaper

I didn't know the taxi driver got out and helped her up. That is good of him/her. Do we know if it was a licenced taxi?

Actually, the young mans comments are a little confusing, as he says he and his friend got in their taxi, so unclear which taxi driver picked her up off the floor. I presume the one that dropped her off!? The impression he gives is that she was immediately walking/stumbling away from her house.

Actually, the young mans comments are a little confusing, as he says he and his friend got in their taxi, so unclear which taxi driver picked her up off the floor. I presume the one that dropped her off!? The impression he gives is that she was immediately walking/stumbling away from her house.
Intriguing!

"Said one female investigator in the Kirkland Police Department: "If (a burglary victim) can't find anything that's gone, the first thing I ask is, did you check the underwear drawer?"
"As ridiculous as the problem first appears, the sobering truth is that that impulse to steal underwear can be related to drives far more serious. Perhaps a quarter of all men who engage in such fetishes and nuisance behaviors also have raped women; half may have molested girls, indicates one major scientific study."
"The three men he arrested over the past few years for stealing women's underwear were all watching their victims and returned to the scene of their crimes. He caught them using hidden cameras installed in the women's homes."

Living | Stolen Underwear: An Occurrence That Points To Serious Problems | Seattle Times Newspaper

Wow and that contradicts the two links that were put up here - I think they were british links that said psychologically they didn't escalate to worse crimes.

I'd be more convinced if they'd said she went to the door, but one is quoted as saying "The taxi dropped her off. She got out and was walking down the street." To me it sounds as though she walked off down the street without going to her door. Of course this comes from a tabloid report and they may have said more. It may also be that the taxi didn't drop her directly outside her house, but a few doors down.
Police divers search river for student, 21, who vanished on 'drunken' night out

Anyway as far as I'm aware, we do not know that she didn't have a key - that's still just a theory. Don't let it become a "fact" until we know more.

Or is it a case that she is reeling from not being allowed in the club, being put in a taxi, her night ending far too prematurely and deciding to rebel and refuse to go in and attempt to head back to continue partying!?

It is very different, Trafficking is the moving of people from place to place for profit, taking one girl off the street would still be abduction but I think people want to believe it's 'Traffickers' doing the abducting which they don't generally. They would also be risking huge organisations and their ability to make money longterm just to take a girl from the UK to where? when there are millions of girls voluntarily travelling to places, they just exploit them when they get here. It's just not how they work. Why would they change the way they operate for one young woman?
I'm sorry to say it but I think its a silly theory which would involve these almost fairy tale or TV style 'baddies' going round in gangs snatching random people off the street like in a bad TV show with a plot that makes no sense. It's going round and round though as a theory and probably will until Libby is found!

Anything is possible. Anything. Don't discount anything IMO although I still lean with my first theory (a series of misfortunate incidences)

Or is it a case that she is reeling from not being allowed in the club, being put in a taxi, her night ending far too prematurely and deciding to rebel and refuse to go in and attempt to head back to continue partying!?

I wondered about that, but wouldn't she just have got the taxi to take her back? Or, if she had the idea of going somewhere else, get the taxi to take her on there. I find it unlikely that she'd have gone out with no money or card.

This is definitely a possibility and I’m surprised it hasn’t been mentioned much on this thread. Many people I know, including myself in the past, want to continue drinking once they begin, and the thought of going home drunk alone is the last thing on your mind. You hang around, chat to random people, your desperate to continue. And it does put you in a potentially vulnerable position.

I wondered about that, but wouldn't she just have got the taxi to take her back? Or, if she had the idea of going somewhere else, get the taxi to take her on there. I find it unlikely that she'd have gone out with no money or card.

I guess taxi man already knows it would be a wasted trip, that she still wouldn’t be allowed in the club. It’s quite possible Libby was protesting in the taxi that she didn’t want to go home!

I guess taxi man already knows it would be a wasted trip, that she still wouldn’t be allowed in the club. It’s quite possible Libby was protesting in the taxi that she didn’t want to go home!

In that case - and I agree with what sundaaaay has said - it's quite possible that she went looking for some friends/neighbours who might be at home. Close enough not to need the taxi. But didn't find anyone in.

Anything is possible. Anything. Don't discount anything IMO although I still lean with my first theory (a series of misfortunate incidences)

Possible yes but to the point where statistically extremely slim.

from Wiki "
Precise details about the extent of human trafficking within the UK are not available, and many have questioned the validity[4][5] of some of the more widely quoted figures (such as the 'police estimate' that there are up to 4,000 trafficking victims in the United Kingdom at any one time).

Over the last year[when?], UK authorities continued to launch aggressive anti-trafficking law enforcement efforts to uncover trafficking and identify victims. During 2009, a six-month investigation into human trafficking by all 55 police forces of the United Kingdom failed to find a case of human trafficking.....
.....Many believe that the repeated failure of large-scale police operations to find any evidence of trafficking exemplifies the inaccuracy of the human trafficking statistics often quoted by NGOs and the media, while others insist that failure to find human trafficking is merely indicative of its underground nature..... ''

So at largest estimate maybe 4000 trafficked people in the UK at any one time and when investigated, police can't find any.

Compare that to the numbers of women sexually assaulted every day. Also the UK is known as a destination country, not a 'source' country for trafficking.
This is why I think as theory it holds little credibility and police will know it too, at any rate they have to prove she was abducted first.

How do these particular possibilities have any bearing on later events given we know LS sighted on/around bench later until @00.09?

and, from the same source if I may! -

"The upshot is that men with sex disorders don't focus on one, and only one, activity. If you find an exhibitionist, chances are about 50-50 the guy has molested children. Half of the men who reported fetishes had also molested little girls. A quarter of them raped women. A conclusion of the study:

"Some professionals have considered exhibitionists, voyeurs and fetishists as being rather benign, nuisance paraphiliacs. These results, however, suggest that some (but not all) of the benign paraphilias may actually lead to very aggressive behaviors and should not be viewed as reliably benign."

that's why I believe police are taking PR as a suspect so seriously. The chances of him being close to Libby and having that psychology .....

I think we're simply trying to figure out how and why she came to be there.
Do you have a possible narrative or inclination as to what has happened Cherwell, given what is known as it stands? Or is it too early for us to know?

she wasn't 'missing' at that time.

I meant that grey beard may have phoned the police to say that there's a vulnerable/distressed woman in the area. If she was falling over drunk she was a danger to herself (safety) but also she could have caused an accident by wandering into the road. The police may have even driven past the area later but seen nothing. If someone had reported her out of concern, the police would know to check CCTV in the area and may have had the relevant footage days before we thought they had.

Do you have a possible narrative or inclination as to what has happened Cherwell, given what is known as it stands? Or is it too early for us to know?

Not really, we just don't know enough. I think it will turn out to be quite simple though.
Clearly the police have reasons to suspect the Polish lad's involvement. Quite feasible that he tried it on with her and things went too far, but whether he's responsible for her disappearance or she just ran off, who knows.
Still possible that she succumbed to hypothermia and hasn't been found yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washingtonsupersleuth