AL AL - J.B. Beasley, 17, & Tracie Hawlett, 17, Ozark, 31 July 1999 #4 *ARREST*

Status
Not open for further replies.

BBM...
MOO, but I don't think it had any effect on his not being bound over to the grand jury. Simply put, they had no case against him. Nothing, except his clumsy attempt to collect the reward money tied him to the case. He did have some knowledge of the case, but nothing put him at the crime scene, tied him to a gun or anything else. It simply was a rush to judgement on the part of the DA that made the decison to charge him. I don't think a jury would have ever convicted him even if they were to get a grand jury to indict him.

I think the DNA had a major effect on the case being able to move forward because of how absolute DNA results tend to be. I have seen cases where a jury convicted a suspect of murder based solely on eyewitness testimony or a "confession" even if there was no physical evidence left at the scene. There are many cases of individuals being convicted by nothing more than circumstantial evidence. In some cases, police still have not found the body.

How something is portrayed to a jury can affect the way those same people(the jurors) make decisions.

Has anyone heard of any update on the showing of "Shined Rabbit"? I'm hoping I didn't miss it.

Inviting everyone to check out the new true crime podcast I co-host with John Lordan and Gray Hughes. Episode Zero 'Meet the 3 Men' is available NOW on #iTunes #ApplePodcasts #Stitcher #GooglePlay etc In this ep, meet the hosts, & we unveil the case we are covering for season 1 on both podcast & Youtube- Tracie & J.B.

Inviting everyone to check out the new true crime podcast I co-host with John Lordan and Gray Hughes. Episode Zero 'Meet the 3 Men' is available NOW on #iTunes #ApplePodcasts #Stitcher #GooglePlay etc In this ep, meet the hosts, & we unveil the case we are covering for season 1 on both podcast & Youtube- Tracie & J.B.

Morf, is the podcast “3 Men and a Mystery”? I searched for Episode Zero and it seemed like a podcast that is no longer produced.

Thank you! Can’t wait to listen

Morf, is the podcast “3 Men and a Mystery”? I searched for Episode Zero and it seemed like a podcast that is no longer produced.

Thank you! Can’t wait to listen
The podcast or name of the show is 3 Men and a Mystery. The episode is called Episode Zero, the only episode we released so far. Should be available on most podcast apps:

You can play at these locations-

3 Men And A Mystery by Mike Morford on Apple Podcasts

3 Men And A Mystery

3 Men And A Mystery

Google Play Music

And on many other podcast playing locations & apps

Morf, good 1st Episode and introduction. Looking forward to May and the episodes.

Some things regarding the gas in the Mazda being low:
- Mazda was filled up on Friday
- We don’t know how much driving JB did on Friday and Saturday, prior to going out Saturday night with Tracie
- JB was living with her Dance Teacher, who lived off of Hwy 431, North of the Circle, so if she drove into Dothan, inside the Circle, on Friday & Saturday to meet friends or do errands, this would use a fair amount of gas.
- it has been posted in these threads, that JB did meet a friend for dinner on Friday night; I don’t know the specifics of where and who
- the Saturday night destinations with Tracie would have used a fair amount of gas as well

This brings me to what we know as the possible Destination/Timeline Saturday with Tracie:

- Somepoint on Saturday: JB drove to see Tracie at JC Penney to confirm the plans for that evening - JB would pick Tracie up when her shift at Penney’s ended, go to Tracie’s house so she could change, head out for the night from Tracie’s house. The plan was for JB to spend night at Tracie’s house.
- 1st Stop: 10:00 pm leave Tracie’s house - headed to Haleburg Field Party/Haleburg, AL - This was planned, they had a handwritten map on a napkin with directions to party. Jana, JB’s dance school friend was involved in this party and told JB it was in honor of JB’s Birthday. They get lost trying to find Haleburg and the party and give up trying. They go to a gas station in Headland. It’s later confirmed by police that JB and Tracie did not show up to this party by those who did attend.

- 2nd Stop BP Station in Headland (no longer BP, believe it’s currently a Citgo) This is probably somewhere around 10:30 - Police know about call to Jana so probably have time of call. A few key things happen here:
* JB calls Jana’s House from payphone, does not speak with Jana, however speaks with Jana’s sister
* A Girl, who knows both JB & Tracie, later tells police, she overheard JB telling another boy at the station, that while they were trying to find the Haleburg Party, they made a wrong turn up a dirt road/drive and ran into 2 boys in a pickup truck ( who may or may not have been shirtless) who chased them and followed them. JB and Tracie were frightened by this.
* JB and Tracie talk to their friend from Northview, Bookie, who was with another group in a car. They tell Bookie they were going to the Haleburg Party but couldn’t find it. They give the napkin map to Bookie. JB asks Bookie how to get to Midland City from Headland. Bookie gives them directions. The girls leave in the direction he told them to go. Bookie and his group leave and eventually find the Haleburg Party and attend the party.
* A law enforcement officer, who was on patrol that evening, later confirms seeing the girls and the Mazda at this gas station while he was passing by. Don’t know if officer gave a time.

- 3rd Stop - Field Party in Skipperville - This comes from an episode of the podcast “Fear Based Life”, which featured Veronica Silver Producer/Director of “Shined Rabbit” documentary. She stated other people at party confirmed JB and Tracie were there, but only for short time. Depending on what route the girls took from Headland to Skipperville, this was probably approximately 11:00 to 11:15.

-4th Stop - Big/Little in Ozark - the Store is closed
* 11:38 pm Tracie calls her Mom from the payphone and tells her they got lost and are in Ozark but will be coming home. Also per the “Fear Based Life” episode, Tracie asks her Mom if they can stop in Midland City to meet 2 boys at a gas station. Tracie’s Mom says yes, but that is the only stop and it should be short.
*Mrs Merrit and her daughter - There have been discussions in these threads on what specifically JB asked Mrs Merrit.
1 version is that JB wasn’t really lost she just wanted to know quickest way back to Dothan and asked Mrs Merrit either, what is quickest way to 231 or what is quickest way back to Dothan

2 version is Some believe JB was lost and asked Mrs Merrit how to get to Dothan

Either way, Mrs Merrit gave them directions to Hwy 231

* White Truck - this truck was on the security camera video from the camera inside the Store. Ozark PD says they found the owner and driver in Delaware. They questioned the driver and looked at the truck. Chief of Ozark PD says they were satisfied it was not involved nor was the driver.

I believe this is the account of their destinations that night which can be corroborated. There could have been other stops which are not known at this time.

That was a lot of driving which would have bearing on if the Mazda gas was really lower than it should be. I don’t know the avg. MPG of a 1993 Mazda or the total miles they drove that night, but I’m sure someone could come up with a guestimation. Also, I don’t know if it’s ever been specifically stated as to what the gas gauge indicated, regarding the amount of gas left, other than the general it was low.

This was such an interesting case to me because it is a mapping case. Where J.B. Beasley and Tracie Hawlett went the night of July 31, 1999, is a big mystery, but you can come to some conclusions. My experience is with geography and locational mapping. My theory below is a guess based on my experience.

First, I got the impression that J.B. Beasley and Tracie Hawlett never intended to end up in the Ozark, AL area and because of that never intended to stop and meet anyone from that area especially after they stopped at the Big Little gas station in Ozark, AL and Tracie Hawlett made the phone call to her mom during which she still asked if the girls could possibly stop in Midland City, AL. The reason for this is because where the girls first stopped(the Headland, AL gas station on 431) is directly across the way on a map from Midland City, AL. So why would the girls not go directly west over to Midland City, AL from that Headland, AL BP(today Citgo) gas station? And if the girls had changed their plans to do something in the Ozark, AL area why is Tracie Hawlett on the phone at the Big Little gas station in Ozark, AL still wanting to stop in Midland City, AL to see these two boys?

But supposedly the girls stopped at another party in Skipperville, AL which is a little northeast of Ozark, AL so either they did want to drive directly to Skipperville, AL and were not lost or they simply stopped by this party because they happened to be in the area but not by choice. It is hard to say.

My theory is that they headed to Midland City, AL directly from the Headland, AL BP(now Citgo) gas station, probably down AL 134. Once they were inside of the town of Headland, AL they made a wrong turn at the town square that sent them north instead of the westerly route they needed to follow to get to Midland City, AL. Again, this is based on me "driving" these routes on Google maps and not driving these routes in person. Driving them in person would probably be much better.

I will never be able to explain for sure how J.B. Beasley and Tracie Hawlett made decisions that night. My theory could be completely wrong because I do not have the same information as family and the police. I can only guess based on tv programs and what I have read in news reports. They were 17 years old, and we all make different decisions and come to different conclusions based on our driving experience and map interpretation. None of us thinks the exact same.

The case always made me wonder about an important question.

If J.B. Beasley and Tracie Hawlett ended up in Ozark, AL because of some wrong turn earlier in their trip from the Headland, AL BP(now Citgo) and if we assume for a second they met their random unknown killer before Midland City, AL, this case has such a tragic conclusion(from a mapping standpoint).

If you can understand the theory of what I wrote above, you can understand why.

I just listened to the 3 Men and Mystery Podcast and and am impressed! The other podcasts that have covered the murders gave an overview, but this one seems to be digging deeper for answers. Let's get justice for JB and Tracie!

I just listened to the 3 Men and Mystery Podcast and and am impressed! The other podcasts that have covered the murders gave an overview, but this one seems to be digging deeper for answers. Let's get justice for JB and Tracie!

Thanks we are trying. Its hard with no police reports, participating family members, etc. The police ignored any and all requests from us no response at all to even answer questions for the podcast, not even a "no comment" thats disheartening

Morf, good 1st Episode and introduction. Looking forward to May and the episodes.

Some things regarding the gas in the Mazda being low:
- Mazda was filled up on Friday
- We don’t know how much driving JB did on Friday and Saturday, prior to going out Saturday night with Tracie
- JB was living with her Dance Teacher, who lived off of Hwy 431, North of the Circle, so if she drove into Dothan, inside the Circle, on Friday & Saturday to meet friends or do errands, this would use a fair amount of gas.
- it has been posted in these threads, that JB did meet a friend for dinner on Friday night; I don’t know the specifics of where and who
- the Saturday night destinations with Tracie would have used a fair amount of gas as well

This brings me to what we know as the possible Destination/Timeline Saturday with Tracie:

- Somepoint on Saturday: JB drove to see Tracie at JC Penney to confirm the plans for that evening - JB would pick Tracie up when her shift at Penney’s ended, go to Tracie’s house so she could change, head out for the night from Tracie’s house. The plan was for JB to spend night at Tracie’s house.
- 1st Stop: 10:00 pm leave Tracie’s house - headed to Haleburg Field Party/Haleburg, AL - This was planned, they had a handwritten map on a napkin with directions to party. Jana, JB’s dance school friend was involved in this party and told JB it was in honor of JB’s Birthday. They get lost trying to find Haleburg and the party and give up trying. They go to a gas station in Headland. It’s later confirmed by police that JB and Tracie did not show up to this party by those who did attend.

- 2nd Stop BP Station in Headland (no longer BP, believe it’s currently a Citgo) This is probably somewhere around 10:30 - Police know about call to Jana so probably have time of call. A few key things happen here:
* JB calls Jana’s House from payphone, does not speak with Jana, however speaks with Jana’s sister
* A Girl, who knows both JB & Tracie, later tells police, she overheard JB telling another boy at the station, that while they were trying to find the Haleburg Party, they made a wrong turn up a dirt road/drive and ran into 2 boys in a pickup truck ( who may or may not have been shirtless) who chased them and followed them. JB and Tracie were frightened by this.
* JB and Tracie talk to their friend from Northview, Bookie, who was with another group in a car. They tell Bookie they were going to the Haleburg Party but couldn’t find it. They give the napkin map to Bookie. JB asks Bookie how to get to Midland City from Headland. Bookie gives them directions. The girls leave in the direction he told them to go. Bookie and his group leave and eventually find the Haleburg Party and attend the party.
* A law enforcement officer, who was on patrol that evening, later confirms seeing the girls and the Mazda at this gas station while he was passing by. Don’t know if officer gave a time.

- 3rd Stop - Field Party in Skipperville - This comes from an episode of the podcast “Fear Based Life”, which featured Veronica Silver Producer/Director of “Shined Rabbit” documentary. She stated other people at party confirmed JB and Tracie were there, but only for short time. Depending on what route the girls took from Headland to Skipperville, this was probably approximately 11:00 to 11:15.

-4th Stop - Big/Little in Ozark - the Store is closed
* 11:38 pm Tracie calls her Mom from the payphone and tells her they got lost and are in Ozark but will be coming home. Also per the “Fear Based Life” episode, Tracie asks her Mom if they can stop in Midland City to meet 2 boys at a gas station. Tracie’s Mom says yes, but that is the only stop and it should be short.
*Mrs Merrit and her daughter - There have been discussions in these threads on what specifically JB asked Mrs Merrit.
1 version is that JB wasn’t really lost she just wanted to know quickest way back to Dothan and asked Mrs Merrit either, what is quickest way to 231 or what is quickest way back to Dothan

2 version is Some believe JB was lost and asked Mrs Merrit how to get to Dothan

Either way, Mrs Merrit gave them directions to Hwy 231

* White Truck - this truck was on the security camera video from the camera inside the Store. Ozark PD says they found the owner and driver in Delaware. They questioned the driver and looked at the truck. Chief of Ozark PD says they were satisfied it was not involved nor was the driver.

I believe this is the account of their destinations that night which can be corroborated. There could have been other stops which are not known at this time.

That was a lot of driving which would have bearing on if the Mazda gas was really lower than it should be. I don’t know the avg. MPG of a 1993 Mazda or the total miles they drove that night, but I’m sure someone could come up with a guestimation. Also, I don’t know if it’s ever been specifically stated as to what the gas gauge indicated, regarding the amount of gas left, other than the general it was low.

Thanks,

Thanks we are trying. Its hard with no police reports, participating family members, etc. The police ignored any and all requests from us no response at all to even answer questions for the podcast, not even a "no comment" thats disheartening
That just goes to show you how bad they want to solve this. They're the reason it's not solved in my opinion. A lot of people around here feel the same way. I've brought it up to a high ranking officer not too long ago and he seemed as if he didn't want it spoken about. I believe after 20 years, it's time to do something different. Let out more info on what they have or at least work with someone different to see if they can make some headway in it. And LE around the country wonders why society has lost faith in them? To protect and serve......LOL! As always, this is just my opinion.

Last edited:
I just got finished listening to 3 Men and was impressed by what I heard. I've lived in Dothan all my life except for a couple yrs living in Ozark. I actually lived there when all this took place. I'd really like to see these two murders solved. It's sad to have two teenage girls killed and 20 yrs later the families still don't have answers or closure.

I was a freshman at Auburn in 1999 and I’ve been talking with 2 girls (Auburn friends) that went to school with these girls. Maybe y’all should try talking to kids in the grade or two above.

These kids know what happened.

I was a freshman at Auburn in 1999 and I’ve been talking with 2 girls (Auburn friends) that went to school with these girls. Maybe y’all should try talking to kids in the grade or two above.

These kids know what happened.

Since you seem to know them and have talked with them, perhaps you can share with us what the told you?

This is off topic from the current discussion, but does anyone know if Officer Billy Driggers was at Ozark at the time of the murders? He was a cop in Ozark at one time and was arrested for masturbating in front of women and children a couple of years ago.

This is off topic from the current discussion, but does anyone know if Officer Billy Driggers was at Ozark at the time of the murders? He was a cop in Ozark at one time and was arrested for masturbating in front of women and children a couple of years ago.

Here is an article about the incident (s): He was actually a Police Chief! Another article indicates he was an Ozark Police Officer at one point, but doesn't provide the dates of employment.

Level Plains Police Chief Billy Driggers arrested for lewd behavior in Panama City Beach

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member