CO CO - Kelsey Berreth, 29, Woodland Park, Teller County, 22 Nov 2018 - #40 *ARREST*

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t like “might have,” not with the stakes this high.

Yes, they could probably have built an effective case without her; but the things she told them were so important, that I’m more than ok with it.

Because of her we know many things that we wouldn’t otherwise know, things that physical evidence, surveillance footage, and cell phone records, could never tell us.

PF needs to spend the rest of his life without bars, and KK will be key to that.

I hate that she is getting off so light, but I absolutely believe it was the right move.
All things considered, I'd rather her get a lesser sentence and he be locked away for life and not out running around and possibly getting custody of baby K.

I don’t like “might have,” not with the stakes this high.

Yes, they could probably have built an effective case without her; but the things she told them were so important, that I’m more than ok with it.

Because of her we know many things that we wouldn’t otherwise know, things that physical evidence, surveillance footage, and cell phone records, could never tell us.

PF needs to spend the rest of his life without bars, and KK will be key to that.

I hate that she is getting off so light, but I absolutely believe it was the right move.
You have a typo -- behind bars not without bars.

KK's involvement was sickening. It was far worse than just moving KB's phone.
She tried to poison KB!
imo

Wow just wow! What were they thinking? I have been watching this case but not posting, however after today's revelations I felt compelled to make a few comments and ask a few questions.
Firstly, this case is utterly sad, tragic and sickening and my thoughts and condolences go out to the Berreth family and to everyone affected by this crime.

But I can barely believe this is a real story as it plays out like a Coen brothers 'Fargo' plot! KK and PF must have discussed the execution of this dirty deed many times over a few months all the while thinking it was a good idea to introduce new characters who would ultimately help to undo them (thankfully).

KK is solicited by PF 3 times with 3 different scenarios! The first one: poison Kelsey. KK doesn't live in Colorado yet she poses as KB's neighbor and takes her aunt with her to KB's place with her favorite coffee to thank her for searching for a dog!! What story did she tell her aunt? I would loved to have been a fly on the upholstery on that journey. As other poster's have pointed out why take a coffee if she didn't add poison? If she wanted to meet KB to measure her up then do it discreetly without her aunt to be a witness or taking her favorite coffee as that's just plain weird.

Then KK confides in her BFF. Is she that delusional that because this heinous crime sits okay with her and PF that her friend is not going to have any feelings of unease and not confide in someone else?

I'll stop there as I'm overcome with the utter stupidity and waste of a beautiful life. Stupid is what stupid does.

MassGuy was right all along by thinking that PF killed KB himself.
I was carried away with theories of murderous motorcycle gangs, contract hitmen and a million other theories. I never thought PF would do his own dirtywork just like how he watched those two guys hauling trash while he
sat in his truck "supervising."
imo

MassGuy was right all along by thinking that PF killed KB himself.
I was carried away with theories of murderous motorcycle gangs, contract hitmen and a million other theories. I never thought PF would do his own dirtywork just like how he watched those two guys hauling trash while he
sat in his truck "supervising."
imo
Of course that was KKL's version of the story. Will we ever know the absolute truth? I doubt it.

PF isn’t just a murderer - he is a cowardly murderer. Unable to look KB in the face, he puts a sweater over her head. He isn’t very smart, either. Hit her in the head and create a bloody scene that is impossible to fully clean up? Think about this - if he had strangled her, he would be walking free today. There would have been no blood, he wouldn’t have had to involve another person, the phone records wouldn’t have given him away, etc. It would have remained a mysterious disappearance, he would have been under a cloud of suspicion, but there would have been no proof.

How did this guy ever think he was actually going to get away with this, doing it the way he did it and involving KK? Thank goodness for dumb criminals.

Update from yesterday in red.

Tuesday, February 19th:
*Preliminary Hearing (@ 9am MT) - CO – Kelsey Berreth (29) (last seen Nov. 22, 2018, Woodland Park; phone pinged 800 miles away in Gooding, Idaho on 11/25/18 @ 5:13pm, reported missing Dec. 2, 2018; not found) – *Patrick Michael Frazee (32) “fiancé” arrested (12/21/18) & charged (12/31/18) with 1st degree murder & 3 counts of solicitation to commit 1st degree murder & 1st degree felony murder (death during attempted robbery). Held without bond. *Teller County
Was a suspect as of 12/15/18. Search warrant executed 12/14/18. Search & arrest warrants are sealed. The little girl, who had been staying with her dad up until his arrest, is now in protective custody & will be reunited with Berreth’s family. 12/27/18: The court continued the temporary custody of the minor child with maternal grandparents, but the Teller County Dept. of Human Services will retain legal custody.
Court hearings from 12/21/18 to 1/3/19 - reference post #237 here: Deceased/Not Found - CO - Kelsey Berreth, 29, Woodland Park, Teller County, 22 Nov 2018 - #39 *ARREST*
1/4/19 Update: New judge (Scott Sells) takes over the case (judge rotation). Prosecution says they are now comfortable sharing the arrest affidavit with Frazee. They still want them sealed to the public. The court is also hearing a motion regarding the testing of a specific piece of evidence. Prosecution says that piece of evidence is not as critical as they first thought. Judge will pass ruling on consumptive testing until 2/19 hearing. Frazee waived his right to prelim within 35 days. Lots of info in arrest affidavit, Defense asks to move 1/29/19 date. Preliminary hearing for Frazee has been moved to Feb. 19th per request of Frazee’s attorney. Both parties agreed on this date. KKTV11News has confirmed that Kelsey’s parents have filed a wrongful death lawsuit against Patrick Frazee.
2/7/19 Update: Baby K stays with her maternal grandparents. Next disposition hearing on 4/4/19.
2/19/19 Update: Update: Judge has ordered all witnesses be sequestered meaning they won’t be allowed in the courtroom until they take the stand. 3 new counts have been added against Frazee: one tampering with evidence (deceased body) & 2 for a crime of violence.
State witnesses: Sheila Frazee to the stand refusing to answer questions. Her attorney, Joshua Tolini, stands and objects, citing 5th Amendment. Says prosecution hasn't demonstrated she has any involvement. Judge Scott Sells rules in favor of Sheila Frazee’s refusal of testimony. Due to the sequestration order, she’ll have to exit the courtroom for the remainder of today’s hearing.
Commander Chris Adams with Woodland Park PD. DVD played of a recording of a phone call (12/2/18) with Frazee. It was recorded by WPPD officers that made first contact with him. Sheila Frazee is going before the judge as a witness. State wants to ask Sheila about the phone call on Nov. 22 from Patrick, witnessing the burn, and more. Judge reviewed the case law citations. He says this is not the time & place for Sheila’s testimony. Judge Sells says he thinks the evidence the state seeks from Sheila can be presented from other witnesses. She’s still sequestered, so not allowed in the courtroom. CBI Agent Gregg Slater: testimony from CBI investigator about 3 plots Frazee gave Krystal Lee last fall to have her kill Kelsey one involving poisoning a Starbucks machiatto (9/23/18), 1 with a steel rod (10/15/18) & 1 with a baseball bat (10/23/18). Krystal said she couldn’t do it. Around 4:30 p.m. on Nov. 22, Frazee texted Kenney asking for her to call him. Frazee eventually called, saying, “You need to get out here now. You’ve got a mess to clean up.” Kenney interpreted that as Kelsey Berreth was dead.
Defense attorney Stiegerwald now asking the court to review the third count, felony murder tied to robbery, and suggests the judge review evidence presented today to toss that count out.
Judge finds proof evident for tampering with evidence too. He’ll be held without bond. Judge asked defense to set trial or arraignment. Defense asks for arraignment, saying the DA’s Office just emailed 3,300 pages of discovery to him. Arraignment now set for April 8 at 8:30 a.m.
Judge now addressing motions to unseal the arrest (probable cause) affidavit. DA Dan May says he has no objection to releasing any of the search or arrest warrants after talking with law enforcement. May says there were 32 search warrants in conversation with the defense. Defense still wants it sealed & would like the media to talk with the defense before requesting future motions. Judge ruled to release the arrest warrant, but deferred judgment on the entire docket. Should be released later today or tomorrow — they need time to redact. Judge Sells admits he hasn’t reviewed all search warrants, so he will not release those yet.
State now bringing up its motion for consumptive testing (first brought back on Dec. 31). Defense says it’s not ready to address that. Judge set that for a separate legal argument hearing on March 4 at 8:30 a.m.
Defense asks court to amend order limiting contact from Frazee to KF. They’re
asking for the court to address it moving forward. Judge agrees.

*Krystal Jean “Lee” Kenney (32) charged with tampering with physical evidence.
2/2/19: is scheduled to appear in a Teller County courtroom on Friday, Feb. 8 @ 8:30am. She will enter a plea deal with prosecutors (may plea for the destruction of the cell phone). She was believed to have disposed of Berreth's cell phone in the days after she was last seen alive. The probable cause statement has been sealed.
2/8/19 Update: Prosecutor says Kenney has agreed to plead guilty to one count of tampering with physical evidence, a class 6 felony, with an open sentence. Judge says WHEN sentencing happens, she could get 12-18 months in prison, community corrections, or probation. Could also be 90 days in El Paso County jail. Aggravated sentence could be attached at end of trial. Kenney will testify against Frazee in exchange for her plea deal. Won't be sentenced till that prosecution is complete. She is barred from speaking with press under deal. Monday June 24th at 11 AM there will be a review hearing for Kenney. They will differ charges at that point & will set up a periodic review every 90 days or so. Prosecution wants plea papers kept from public. Judge grants motion.

And now I can shorten this referencing this post! :)

It’s absolutely sick. Can you imagine cleaning up a murder scene, that much blood from an innocent mother, and then heading over to Sonic and eating a big meal?

Reminds me of the Watts case. After he described in detail how he murdered SW and stuffed his poor dead babies into an oil tank, he chowed down several plates of pizza in the interview room.
What I really want to know, but I doubt we ever will, is whether PF and KK had sex at any point during or after the cleanup before she left town. If they did, then not only are they going to Hell, they’re going to that 7th circle of it. The one with the lake of fire and Satan in the middle of it, chewing on both of their souls for eternity.

It’s such a tough situation, because without her they most likely wouldn’t have any information and it’d be a tough case to try in court. Although they MIGHT have been able to do it because of the blood evidence they found in Kelsey’s bathroom during their 2nd search, what do you think?
They would have figured out the blood evidence, custody dispute, prior verbal intimidations, cell phone tracking, girlfriend connection, and the prior solicitations through BFF and others.

Patrick Frazee beat Kelsey Berreth to death after blindfolding her, made mistress clean murder scene | Daily Mail Online

'I learned that Patrick Frazee has committed a homicide on approximately Nov. 22, 2018 in Teller County. I knew that law enforcement would be investigating that crime,' said Krystal on Friday, reading from a prepared statement.

'I moved the victim’s cell phone with the intent to impair the phone’s availability in the investigation. I had no right or authority to move the victim’s cell phone. That occurred between Nov. 24 and Nov. 25, 2018. In Teller County.'

Gosh I truly hope that once May is through with PF they nail KK to the wall for involvement in every phase of these solicitations and cleanup.

My apologies to WSers for just ducking and running last night. I don’t think I expected quite so much detail in all those tweets I was posting! It really hit me hard! How CB has remained so gracious through all of this is beyond comprehension to me but my heart is in her lap right now as she nutures Kelsey’s baby girl.

This woman got the deal of a lifetime based on her involvement. I hope the prosecution points out the many lies and lack of cooperation she gave early on. I hope they nail her to a pulp for the “minor offense” she plead to and get the max for the crime. KK was spared for the sake of putting this guy away for life. I think they sold themselves short. This murder scene was horrific. She didn’t leave evidence there for LE, it would have been truly impossible for this scene to have been pristine without leaving “a spec of evidence.” They had it and she knew it. She concocted a story after the fact. They had to test evidence so minute it could only be tested once before it was destroyed. She was spared to nail him. I’m sickened that the prosecution sold out. Both of them deserve to fry for this crime. I pray that the family doesn’t remember the way she died but the beautiful and intelligent woman that she was in life. This trial is going to be so unfair to this family. JMO

All things considered, I'd rather her get a lesser sentence and he be locked away for life and not out running around and possibly getting custody of baby K.
I just do not see a place for her or him in free society. He is obviously never leaving prison. I know this witness spun a fair tale of not being able to go through with her attempts but I do not buy it for a minute. This was simply a power play of sexualized fantasy between two very sick minds. It certainly had nothing to do with love or parenting.

ETA: Located tweet for those asking if KK friend MS knew what KK did before she started giving supporting interviews. I'd say yes she did!

Sam Kraemer‏ @SamKraemerTV
State asking Slater about Michelle Stein, a friend of Krystal’s and former paralegal in Idaho. Michelle, per Slater, was told what happened by Kenney. Kenney said “she’s done with Patrick.” Slater says Michelle told Kenney she needed to tell someone. @KOAA#KelseyBerreth

3:18 PM - 19 Feb 2019

I just do not see a place for her or him in free society. He is obviously never leaving prison. I know this witness spun a fair tale of not being able to go through with her attempts but I do not buy it for a minute. This was simply a power play of sexualized fantasy between two very sick minds. It certainly had nothing to do with love or parenting.
I don't buy it either.

Trial by twitter is confusing...more on KK timeline:

KK resides in Idaho as do her parents and extended family. KK spent Thanksgiving Day in Idaho with her family.

Relative to KK's Aunt Kristi, it's believed she resides in Colorado -- and KK used as excuse to travel to Colorado.

We learned in preliminary hearing that KK met with Investigators in Las Veges on 12/14/18 where she denied knowing KB, and denied having a personal relationship with PF.

KK refused to release her phone records to authorities. KK was in Las Vegas with her Aunt Kristi, who's believed to reside in Colorado, and who unknowingly went to KB's condo with KK last Sept 24 to deliver a coffee to KB at her front door. (Aunt Kristi waited in car).

12/18/18 Investigators went to KK's Idaho home and confronted her with proof she lied to FBI about her knowledge of what happened to KB. KK was then arrested for buccal swab, but refused questions until she could speak to attorney.

12/19/18 KK's Aunt (not identified but believed to reside in Idaho) is said to have obtained lawyer in Boise, and KK agreed to talk to Investigators with lawyer present.

12/20/18 With DA agreement in place, KK is interviewed in Colorado Springs, and takes Investigators to Nash Ranch where PF first stored the black tote containing KB's body on top a hay stack inside red barn, before transporting tote to SF place for burning. KK is said to have showed Investigators the burn area on SF property (black tote burn site).

12/21/18 PF arrested at SF home early morning hours.

Live blog: Patrick Frazee appears in court for preliminary hearing

I’m curious about several things here.

How or why did he choose this ranch to store KB’s body. I doubt he just chose it randomly. But also, how did no one see him there or come across KB? It doesn’t seem like the ranch is abandoned.

Also, the mention of KK pointing out the burn spot. Wasn’t that on PF’s ranch? Surely law enforcement didn’t traipse there with KK before PF was arrested, so it must’ve been after?

I’m surprised the media didn’t notice KK was there and report on it.

I’m curious about several things here.

How or why did he choose this ranch to store KB’s body. I doubt he just chose it randomly. But also, how did no one see him there or come across KB? It doesn’t seem like the ranch is abandoned.

Also, the mention of KK pointing out the burn spot. Wasn’t that on PF’s ranch? Surely law enforcement didn’t traipse there with KK before PF was arrested, so it must’ve been after?

I’m surprised the media didn’t notice KK was there and report on it.
I’m a little confused about Nash Ranch, too. I assume it is one of the other properties the family owns - not the one they live on. How far away is it in relation to the home place? How is it that SF could see the fire from presumably her home’s front porch?

Back in thread 39 somewhere, I believe KK said PF placed the bag with KB's body next to KB's car (where the cadavar dog caught scent) Was KK in Colorado on the 22nd? How does she know this?

I think it was a plastic tote, like a Rubbermaid storage box with a lid.

I’m pondering the possibility that he put KB in the box and left her in the house until KK showed up to clean up. They might gone together, although she claims he left the keys out front of his gate. That might be a lie on her part. I think it’s possible she saw him move the tote out when she was there to clean.

I seem to remember something from court (I think) that said they went back to KB’s house to retrieve PF’s pickup truck. Wish I could find it.

Anyway, what if KK was there for the body removal and there never was a trip to Nash Ranch, or she was with him on that trip, to know he climbed a ladder to hide the tote?

That would explain how she knew he set the tote down, if she saw it.

Also, being that they had to go back and get his truck, I’m wondering if they used KK’s friend’s vehicle to transport the tote.

This morning as I was catching up on the other cases I'm following, I was struck by something that hit me like a ton of bricks. SLP in TN and JC in WI were children who were in the physical custody of their tormentors, yet both found a way to free themselves and bring down their abusers. KK has 30 some years of life experience, a nursing degree, a job with a good deal of responsibility and was raising children. This poor lady was sooooo in fear of someone who was physically 800 miles away from her and she could think of no way out but to go along with him. Let that sink in.

Nov. 23, 2018
Slater says KK exchanged her car with her friend Megan (unsure on spelling). It’s a Volkswagen Passat with expired plates. She left around 6:30 p.m. that day, on her way to CO with a clean-up kit including rubber gloves, a protective body suit and trash bags. KK stopped in Greeley over night.

Nov. 24, 2018
KK arrived in WP around 7:30 a.m.

My question here is, did she go to the hospital to get those supplies before she left, or did she already have them?

Did she bring the protective bodysuit during previous attempts to kill Kelsey?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohbeehaave