GUILTY South Africa - Susan Rohde, 47, murdered, Stellenbosch, 24 July 2016 - #2

We are back. VDS returns to murder. "I can only describe this as a moment of weakness or madness, in which he simply snapped. Court found he punched her on her eyebrow, he exerted force on her to immobilise, he throttled and smothered her." @TeamNews24

VDS turns to society's response to violent crimes. I will never argue that society condones such conduct or views it in anything else but a serious light. Intimate femicide is a serious problem, particularly in SA. @TeamNews24

VDS: Susan's death had a devastating impact on all involved. Court must take a balanced approach in considering all factors. I now turn to Jason's personal circumstances. @TeamNews24

VDS labels the murder a "crime of passion". He says Jason testified about his upbringing and relationships. His mother also testified about his upbringing and how he was adopted by step-dad into a loving relationship, in a middle-upper class home. @TeamNews24

VDS: Jason grew up in a stable home. When he was 9 or 10, his mother gave birth to her second child. He proved himself a good brother, a kind, caring and devoted sibling who played an important role with his sister's disability. @TeamNews24

This is just ridiculous. She should stop him, this isn't heads of argument. He's giving evidence, writing his life story. Surely his mother said all this already.

This is just ridiculous. She should stop him, this isn't heads of argument. He's giving evidence, writing his life story. Surely his mother said all this already.

VDS goes on and on, same as JR's mother.
Another waste of time.
The Judge must be bored, as has heard all this before.
I think now, I'll wait for the Judge's comments.

Oh she is awake. Come on tell him to shut up.

Reactions: Hag
The following is great, when the Judge interjects.

Defence emphasises there "is not one vestige" of any physical violence towards his wife or anyone else. The allegation of battered wife syndrome was "utterly dispelled".

"Except for that Saturday night, Sunday morning," Judge points out. @TeamNews24

The following, is so ridiculous:

Defence asks court to consider how prison has been for Jason. To be used to a luxurious or comfortable lifestyle and then overnight, all of those liberties are totally removed from your life. "You can't even anymore watch TV [or] sit in silence." @TeamNews24

GREAT, that the Judge answers VDS here:

VDS says that for every year Jason is put away, his family will suffer.

Judge points out that ironically, the same applies for the deceased. For every year she is absent, her family suffers. @TeamNews24

Judge again answers.
She was not doing this with the State's closing:

#Rohde Defence says there is no basis for a sentence exceeding the minimum of 15 years imprisonment.

Judge intervenes: "Mrs Rohde did not die instantly. She suffered a painful and gruesome death." @TeamNews24

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back