GUILTY UK - Alfie Lamb, 3, noisy, fatally crushed by car passenger seat pushed back by mom's bf, Feb 2018

Stephen Waterson has been on the stand.

Yesterday:
Jurors heard that in an interview with police, Mr Waterson name-dropped his adoptive father Nigel Waterson, a former MP and lawyer.

Cross-examining Mr Waterson, Ms Hoare's lawyer Katy Thorne QC said: "In that interview you used the fact you have got powerful parents, it seems to you, because you like to drop it into conversation all the time."

She accused Mr Waterson of using "the fact that your parents are powerful people to make you untouchable".

Mr Waterson replied: "I'm not untouchable."

_105490212_mediaitem105489621.jpg

_97415642_007_in_numbers_624.png

Mr Waterson told the jury he had not deliberately pushed the seat into Alfie after losing his temper but had moved it back no more than an inch, before moving forwards again.

During cross-examining, Ms Thorne said to him: "On your account Mr Waterson, it could not have been the seat that caused his death and you have been framed horribly for Alfie's death."

Mr Waterson replied that it was "correct".

When asked by Ms Thorne how Alfie did die, Mr Waterson told the court: "That's what I want to find out as well."

_105485696_mediaitem105485695.jpg

Mr Waterson said the only thing that happened in the car to Alfie was that he was "being shouted at by Adrian", while Ms Hoare had told him she "blamed herself" for the toddler's death as they later lay in bed together.

When he was asked if he bore any responsibility over the boy's death, he replied that he "should have said something and not put the children in the car in the footwell".

Crush death accused 'had powerful parents'

Today:
A message sent from Hoare to Waterson just hours after the incident at 8.07pm on February 2 of last year was read to the jury, which said: 'They know that we are lying.'

Duncan Atkinson, prosecuting, asked him today: 'Was it that 'Plan A' the first lie, was not working that prompted you to go to the hospital?

'Even before you had reached the hospital you did not know what lies she had told the police, you were trying to get her alone and away from the police.

Waterson answered: 'No-one was allowed in the room with Alfie, Alfie was with doctors. I did not know what lies she had told the police.'

Mr Atkinson said: 'You were trying to get her alone'

Waterson asked him: 'Is it a crime to be alone with your partner?'

He added: 'I have already admitted lying in the beginning, I have pleaded guilty to it, lies were told, I did not want to get anyone in trouble.'

His girlfriend Adrian Hoare, 23, was in the back seat with Alfie and Hoare said he looked upon the boy as his son.

Waterson told the Old Bailey he lied to police after the incident because he was worried that he would get in trouble because the driver of the car, Marcus Lamb, had been disqualified.

Two days after Alfie was injured Waterson went in search of a new car.

Mr Atkinson asked him: 'Why did you start looking for a new car?'

Waterson said: 'I buy and sell cars not just on that day on every day.

'If you are asking about the Audi, no, I was still driving it.'

The prosecutor asked him: 'Is it a coincidence then is it that as Alfie was going from fit and well to unconscious and dying that you started trying to sell it?'

Waterson answered: 'I sold it because I felt sick every time I got in the car.

'Why? Because the boy I looked on as a son had died in the backseat of it'.

Mother of Alfie Lamb said:'They know we're lying' after Audi crushing | Daily Mail Online

The driver has the same last name as Alfie.. are they related? I've also seen him called Marcus Richardson, and that he's the stepbrother of Waterson. I am a little confused on the dynamics. Why did the driver agree to drive with a toddler on the floor of the car and not in a car seat? Why didn't his mother protect him? And the biggest question is why on earth did that dirtbag kill a little innocent boy? Ugh lock them all up for life.

The jury went out this morning:
Central Criminal Court 13 T20180089
T20187186
T20187187
T20187197
T20187211
Adrian Hoare
Stephen Alan Waterson
Details: Trial (Part Heard) - Resume - 09:59
Trial (Part Heard) - Case adjourned until 00:00 - 10:10
Trial (Part Heard) - Summing Up - 10:55
Trial (Part Heard) - Jury retire to consider verdict - 11:00

Old Bailey - Central Criminal Court Listings, Daily Hearings, Cases & Details

From yesterday:
In a closing speech, prosecutor Mr Atkinson described Alfie as a "happy, active, smiley child" and said "no-one is going to suggest either of these defendants wanted Alfie to die".

He added: "Neither of them set out to hurt him in the way that they did.

"The question for you is whether Alfie died because without any thought for the consequences Stephen Waterson moved his chair back, whether because he wanted more room or because Alfie was annoying him, putting Alfie at risk, lashing out at him with his car seat in a fit of childish temper.

"The further question is whether the person Alfie was most entitled in the whole world to rely on when that happened, and had a duty to protect him from such harm, failed him fundamentally and fatally."

Mr Waterson is accused of pushing the front passenger seat of his Audi into Alfie twice during the journey.

Mr Atkinson said: "Alfie did not have enough room to breathe and that became the case after he was in the footwell and he was compressed in that way either for a short period followed by another period but in any view long enough to cause those irreversible injuries."

Crush death accused 'had fit of temper'

Alfie Lamb jury told they need not give unanimous verdict

The jury in the Alfie Lamb manslaughter trial has been told they do not need to give a unanimous verdict.

An Old Bailey jury retired to consider verdicts last Thursday and today was given a majority direction.

Mr Justice Kerr told the 11 men and women he would accept verdicts on which 10 of them were agreed.

According to Law Pages the Jury was sent out twice yesterday morning, at 10.33 and 11.41, so it looks like that might have been when the majority direction was given. If so, they’ve had a good long time even after that.

H
Mum found guilty after son Alfie Lamb 'crushed to death by car seat' | Metro News

Hoare not guilty of manslaughter but guilty of child cruelty. Waterson guilty of witness intimidation, jury hung on manslaughter.

How? Jury hung on manslaughter ? What does a perp have to do to be found guilty ? IMOO this is such the wrong verdict. Whoever committed the 'crime' by preventing this little child of breath (and yes it was a crime) without thought to this poor child's survival is guilty. This is more than child cruelty.

Mother of Alfie Lamb found guilty over child's car seat death

"The jury was unable to reach a majority verdict on a manslaughter charge against Waterson.

Following an Old Bailey trial, jury members did find Waterson, the adopted son of former Tory Minister Nigel Waterson, guilty of intimidation of a witness in the case.

Hoare was cleared of manslaughter, but found guilty of a charge of child cruelty and common assault on another witness.

Following the verdicts, Mr Justice Kerr discharged the jury and gave the prosecution seven days to decide whether to seek a retrial.

The defendants had previously pleaded guilty to conspiracy to pervert the course of justice. After Alfie's death, Hoare and Waterson lied to police about what happened."

So the mum has got more "done" than than the man, even though it was him that caused the death?

If the child cruelty was an alternative charge to the manslaughter for both of them, that may be a function of the fact she was acquitted outright of manslaughter. The acquittal may have been needed to trigger consideration by the jury of the cruelty charge.

Ok, I guess more came into the trial than I've seen reported, or else I'm really missing something (or the jury are?). How is repeatedly squashing a child, in anger, even after being made aware said child can't breathe, resulting in the death of said child, NOT manslaughter? At least it was no verdict rather than "not guilty", so there's another chance, but unless he has very severe learning difficulties so as to not understand the potential consequences of his actions, it's manslaughter.

Disappointed the mother only got the lesser charge too, given she had ample opportunity to remove the child from the footwell and prevent his death (who on earth puts their child in a footwell anyway? I can understand held on the lap if the car is full, although that too is unsafe, but at least shows SOME attempt at care...).

Ok, I guess more came into the trial than I've seen reported, or else I'm really missing something (or the jury are?). How is repeatedly squashing a child, in anger, even after being made aware said child can't breathe, resulting in the death of said child, NOT manslaughter? At least it was no verdict rather than "not guilty", so there's another chance, but unless he has very severe learning difficulties so as to not understand the potential consequences of his actions, it's manslaughter.

Disappointed the mother only got the lesser charge too, given she had ample opportunity to remove the child from the footwell and prevent his death (who on earth puts their child in a footwell anyway? I can understand held on the lap if the car is full, although that too is unsafe, but at least shows SOME attempt at care...).

Just everything from this post really. I know we didn't sit in the jury and hear the evidence (I'm very glad I didn't, I don't think I could have listened to what happened to him) but at the same time, knowing what we do know, how could this be a hung jury. Whilst there may have been no intent to actually kill, or even maim, pushing the chair back in that way was clearly an attack on the child. The action itself, regardless of the consequences is child abuse. But to do it twice is even worse. And how the mother could not even move the child from the position is heartbreaking.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clancehan
Back