UK - Alesha MacPhail, 6, raped & murdered, Ardbeg, Isle of Bute, Scotland, 2 Jul 2018 -*arrest* #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Peter A Smith‏Verified account @PeterAdamSmith 3m3 minutes ago

Defence says it was the press & TV media who decided to identify the 18 year-old woman who was wrongfully incriminated by the 16 year-old killer, knowing they could identify her but not identify him.

This is kind of true actually. But he should still be named.

In reality, most of the media couldn't care less about naming him for the "sake of justice" though. They just want the biggest story possible, the most traffic to their websites and the most sales and if they plaster the front pages with the killer's name and face they will likely get that. Maybe that's just me being cynical but oh well.

This is kind of true actually. But he should still be named.

In reality, most of the media couldn't care less about naming him for the "sake of justice" though. They just want the biggest story possible, the most traffic to their websites and the most sales and if they plaster the front pages with the killer's name and face they will likely get that. Maybe that's just me being cynical but oh well.

Spot on. That is exactly why the Media want to have the name reveal.

I want it so that they can get the media circus over with now - and then let Alesha's family have peace.

As a parent with children who need mental health care (not for these sorts of propensities thank god!) i can also say that accessing decent help is REALLY hard and that so many cuts have been made to our services that there is really very little done about these things unless the child is already a ward of the court OR something very serious has already happened. I know MANY parents struggling with extreme behaviours from mentally unwell children and there is just no real help. A friend has a broken cheekbone just now where her 6'2" 15 stone teenager headbutted her, there is nowhere for him to "go" and he lacks the intellectual capacity to understand what he has done, so he's in her home with her still. Another friend's child is so anxious she is now agoraphobic and hasn't left their home for 4 years, she desperately needs psychiatric help and dental care but the mother can't get her out and the professionals say they can't come in. When the daughter committed a semi-serious act of self harm they told the parents "not to worry".

I can't speak for how true the rumours are. I did NOT hear them only from Islanders as @Taskforce88 did though, but in mental health support spaces online, which to me points to them having more truth to them (it seems unlikely that people were pretending to be affected by his behaviour months and years before this crime happened just in case he did something further).

I am trying not to read the lurid gutter press representations. I am devastated for Alesha's family that they lost their beautiful girl in such an awful situation, but also my heart goes out to his family, I have lived with a monstrous abuser too, and it was a hugely stressful and traumatic way to exist.

I've had one online friend for years who lives in Scotland. Her son is clearly disturbed. She is not mentally well herself and desperately needs help. Everyone knows this. She has basically done nothing but try and get help for him for years with little to show for it.

Most out of control and mentally ill children don't turn around and rape and kill someone. And authorities act in that manner. They take the easy and especially cheaper route in most countries. Dump as much as possible on the parents and go out of their way to avoid offering the care the law will even say they are required to offer. It takes smart, educated, dedicated parents to fight to access what kids like this need and even then they don't always get it.

Do you think he's going to be referred to 30-40 years down the line the same way other notorious killers are, or do you think by that time he will have faded into obscurity? I think it's probably the most high-profile crime in Scotland in my lifetime so I don't see it being forgotten anytime soon but I don't think he should have the notoriety.

You can't ignore how much the murderer has self publicized. Generally before the fiendish act, and continued on thru snapchat, texting etc. Right up to and including testifying in court for hours. This is not a shy person. He wants and seeks attention.

You can't ignore how much the murderer has self publicized. Generally before the fiendish act, and continued on thru snapchat, texting etc. Right up to and including testifying in court for hours. This is not a shy person. He wants and seeks attention.

True. I wonder if he'll go down the Dennis Nilsen route and try and write an autobiography behind bars.

If he has a history of self harm anyway; has been found guilty of one of the most heinous crimes imaginable and is likely to be incarcerated for a long time then I don’t think being identified is going to significantly increase the risk over and above these factors

Peter A Smith‏Verified account @PeterAdamSmith 1m1 minute ago

Judge has indicated even if he does decide to lift the anonymity of the 16 year-old today, he will likely suspend the order to allow time for a challenge to come in (effectively an appeal). That would mean we can not identify the teenage killer until the order was final

ah not being revealed today then

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member