Identified! FL - Big Cypress Natl Preserve, Male Hiker, Denim & “Mostly Harmless” July 2018 - Vance Rodriguez

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just noticed CCSO’s post is tagged with someone’s name.

Just an observation.

I don't know much about tagging Facebook posts. Can anyone tag that person or would the sheriffs office have to have added that tag?

FWIW, the Sheriff's office previously said they think he has ties to Louisiana. If the CCSO tagged that person it is possibly a witness who met him somewhere along a trail. Perhaps a courtesy to keep the person informed as new info is posted? Otherwise, if anyone on fb can tag then it is probably a follower alerting someone from the appropriate area who would pass it on. MOO.

I just wanted to add my opinion from a medical point of view (not an official doctor yet, but a medicine student).

Pernicious Anemia is a very rare disorder. Statistically speaking it's highly unlikely he suffered from this disorder. I cannot exclude it completely. I'm just saying it's unlikely.

I don't think a flu caused him to starve to death. There is no flu that would cause you to be so ill that you would completely starve to death. A normal person would 'conquer' a virus way before your body would come close to starvation. Unless he was suffering a more serious condition at the same time.

I still think he was terminally ill. If the post @eucalyptuz is referring to is "real" then it would only make this theory more likely.

Just because the coroner says he died of "starvation", doesn't mean that he didn't have cancer. People don't "die" of cancer. They die from the consequences of it and what it does to their body.

On a different note, I think they're really close to identifying him as well. It might just be a matter of days now!

Didn’t somebody earlier in the thread say some of his gear may have been purchased up toward lake placid? Or am I not remembering correctly?
Adirondack outfitters possibly? That’s where I buy all of my gear that’s why I’m wondering.

Then there’s The Mountaineer in Keene Valley. I have stopped there many times to rent a bear canister. There’s a huge hiking community there.

Home - The Mountaineer

@SugarQueen wanted to make sure you saw this. I think this may be info learned from your tip about the Unionville hikers. We have to be getting close now. All they need is one person who knows him to see his photo.

Hmmmmmm, I did give the detective the names of the hikers who said they camped with him. She was going to double check and see if they had spoken to them yet. Maybe that’s where the lake George area info came from.

Then there’s The Mountaineer in Keene Valley. I have stopped there many times to rent a bear canister. There’s a huge hiking community there.

Home - The Mountaineer
Thats it! It was called adk back in the day. I get snow and ski gear, boots, maps, it has everything there. I’m on the southern end of the NPT and we are always on it. But it takes a better part of a day to drive back and forth to lake placid. I wish I could be of help but besides looking familiar I am drawing a blank on why. There has to be a reason they specifically said Lake George though. They are mostly seasonal and small town the rest of the year.

They said they got the Lake George tip from something he told a hiker.
Well heck I hope they put the info out to Plattsburgh and Burlington too. Lake George (actual lake) goes north up into Essex county. Which is outside of our local viewing range.
Aannnd I don’t see it up on any local news sites up there.

Random early morning thoughts:
I do wish there was a little more info on where Lake George came from.
Working in the tech field could mean a tech company OR the tech dept. of just about any larger company.
The Facebook post from Mtn Crossing at Walasi-yi states he hiked the AT for 2 weeks in NY. A hikers comment says he camped with him in Unionville “ when he first started out”.

I’m not a hiker. I am more of a go to the AT, do a non serious hike for a few hours, try to stay out of real hikers way, kind of hiker. Lol
Hikers please chime in..... if it’s said Unionville NY was when he first started, and it’s said he hiked the AT in NY for 2 weeks, and I read hikers saying he only did about 10 miles a day, does that give you any idea where he may have started from?? ( I’m sure Unionville wasn’t the very start. More likely just the early part of his hike)
When I first read he was in Tech I thought NYC. Lots of folks commute from my area to NYC. Obviously you wouldn’t want to commute if you lived too far. Lake George has thrown me a curveball. Lol

Is Kodak still in the Rochester area?

Is there a video game development program at the Rochester Institute of Technology?

How close to Lake George?

Just jumping in may only muddy the water....

Is Kodak still in the Rochester area?

Is there a video game development program at the Rochester Institute of Technology?

How close to Lake George?

Just jumping in may only muddy the water....

From a quick search it appears Kodak is still there, and 3 1/2- 4 hours from Lake George.
As for muddy waters... I’m pretty sure my brain is sludge this morning so no worries there for me. Lol

I’ve also thought maybe he worked in a IT department but it could be any company, not necessarily a tech company (manufacturing, law firm, hospitals, etc.). The gaming and other codes found were hobbies, what he enjoyed doing. Just a thought.

I too, would like to know more info on the Lake George lead.

I’ve also thought maybe he worked in a IT department but it could be any company, not necessarily a tech company (manufacturing, law firm, hospitals, etc.). The gaming and other codes found were hobbies, what he enjoyed doing. Just a thought.

If someone hasn’t already done so, it might be worth sending the flyer to one of the larger online gaming companies like Zynga or King. Each has multiple offices in the US and worldwide.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
idrainuk