The British Royal Family - news, views, clothes & shoes! #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Her image has been transformed, a carefully managed makeover, and they have done a fantastic job rehabilitating her [reputation]," said Vaughan-Thomas.

The palace came up with a careful strategy, introducing Camilla and her relationship with Charles to the public with great care, knowing that support for Diana still reigned.

"It has taken decades," said Melanie Bromley, chief news correspondent for E!. "It was a gradual process. For years we knew they were together but Camilla was not beside him at official events. She was not shoved down the public's throat. The palace took baby steps when it came to their public life together."

Camilla at 70: has the duchess finally won British hearts?

Duchess of Sussex threatens to sue Mail on Sunday over letter to father
Meghan, Duchess of Sussex, has threatened the Mail on Sunday with legal action under the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act for publishing a private letter she sent to her father, in which she said he had broken her heart “into a million pieces”.

Representatives of the duchess, formerly known as Meghan Markle, have been in touch with the newspaper after its decision earlier this month to publish the handwritten message sent to Thomas Markle in which, according to sources, she complained with a “heavy heart” about the pain her father was causing by giving media interviews.

“A letter is a copyright work as it is a literary work,” said Alex Newman, the national head of intellectual property law at solicitors Irwin Mitchell. “As soon as you create a copyright work, you will own the copyright until it expires automatically. This gives you the right to prevent anyone else copying, or issuing to the public, the whole or a substantial part of your copyrighted work.”

Meghan, Duchess of Sussex, has threatened the Mail on Sunday with legal action under the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act for publishing a private letter she sent to her father, in which she said he had broken her heart “into a million pieces”.

Representatives of the duchess, formerly known as Meghan Markle, have been in touch with the newspaper after its decision earlier this month to publish the handwritten message sent to Thomas Markle in which, according to sources, she complained with a “heavy heart” about the pain her father was causing by giving media interviews.

As Diana's secretary Patrick Jephson was quoted in another DM article:

Somewhere in the bowels of Buckingham Palace, I suspect anxious courtiers might reasonably be pondering that if this People stunt is how she treats her own flesh and blood, what might she be willing to do to her in-laws if they were ever to similarly incur her displeasure?

The true cost of Meghan's baby shower | Daily Mail Online

At what point does the rest of the BRF begin to feel threatened or intimidated by MM's publicity machine and her unprofessional approach to promoting herself and her celebrity friends, using them as a separate power base? Could it eventually reach a point where it impinges on the Queen's role as part of the British government? Seems there's good reason to have boundaries between celebrityhood and being a royal. JMO

The Queen and Government

Last edited:

Bad move MM. IMO.

Bad move MM. IMO.

The Queen and The Firm must be getting increasingly concerned about this. Maybe someone will have a talk with Prince Harry, though he may not be much help. They no longer have control over MM's public appearances, persona, news media communications or PR machine, but they do control their schedule for sanctioned royal appearances and public engagements and access to money. Moving to Frogmore or giving birth likely isn't going to change any of MM's plans or PR activities.

ETA: The BRF has been nothing but kind, fair and generous to MM since she began dating PH. They've done nothing to deserve criticism from MM and her supporters, though I anticipate that's going to happen if they try to re-establish their boundaries. MM is getting close to creating some problematic conflicts of interest, etc. with her friends, their business empires and other connections.

Last edited:
I don’t blame her for wanting to sue them. Perhaps then media will stop paying for the stories from her ridiculous “family” that has nothing to do with her except to see her as a cash cow to exploit.

They are slobbering over getting any money via her. It’s pathetic.

It must be heartbreaking to her to find out that the father she loves is an opportunist. Shattering I am sure.

She will be an object to tear apart as was Diana. She does not need to read the tabloids. It can be that she was advised of this step to take to attempt to stop the idiocy.

Unless MSM STOLE the letter from the mail box, who’s really at fault???

I feel the relative who sold those letters is far worse than MSM who published them.

What a disgusting act by the relative. Was it for a quick buck or to hurt deeper again.

Never ever give them anything else.
WOW just WOW!!

CUTE

Harry-Bristol-Old-Vic-Exec-Director-Daughter-Ocean-on-Floor-Feb-1-2019-via-BOV-FB.jpg

The Queen and The Firm must be getting increasingly concerned about this. Maybe someone will have a talk with Prince Harry, though he may not be much help. They no longer have control over MM's public appearances, persona, news media communications or PR machine, but they do control their schedule for sanctioned royal appearances and public engagements and access to money. Moving to Frogmore or giving birth likely isn't going to change any of MM's plans or PR activities.

ETA: The BRF has been nothing but kind, fair and generous to MM since she began dating PH. They've done nothing to deserve criticism from MM and her supporters, though I anticipate that's going to happen if they try to re-establish their boundaries. MM is getting close to creating some problematic conflicts of interest, etc. with her friends, their business empires and other connections.

You should maybe be more worried about the friends of the members of the BRF, IMO. LOL

It seems that JM is at least loyal to MM and I am no fan of JM.
One of her producers at GMA(?) has said 'she didnt get the job because of her talent but because of her connections to MM', yet she didnt say a word about the baby shower and Gayle King blabbed on her show whereas GMA knew nothing. <laughing my head off here>

I have not read criticism of the BRF from her friends, nor seen problematic conflicts of interest......not to say its not possible but lets see if it even happens.

Many members of the BRF have friends with very distasteful 'quirks' and who are very problematic but it doesnt stop them.

An example if Prince Andrew and his friends in NY. When he got into a spot of bother, his mother gave him some sort of dispensation so that he wouldnt have to return the US to face charges! Now, that's a problem!

The BRF is not a morally pure family, not have any of the Royals been concerned about their behaviour, throughout history. Not ever.

I'm sure they can weather anything. :D

The Queen is only a figurehead, not allowed to 'govern' although she has ceremonial events around the government.

I like Meghan, hope she and Harry have a wonderful life, in spite of the nasties who comment in the tabloid press.

With all the negative writings about Meaghan I'm hoping she's not stressing as this can affect the bub.
Looking at this pic at the airport Meaghan appears to have dropped so maybe the baby could be born earlier than expected.
10074606-6727355-image-m-26_1550709494806.jpg

Oooooh! Interesting observation!

And flat shoes--I approve :)

You should maybe be more worried about the friends of the members of the BRF, IMO. LOL

It seems that JM is at least loyal to MM and I am no fan of JM.
One of her producers at GMA(?) has said 'she didnt get the job because of her talent but because of her connections to MM', yet she didnt say a word about the baby shower and Gayle King blabbed on her show whereas GMA knew nothing. <laughing my head off here>

I have not read criticism of the BRF from her friends, nor seen problematic conflicts of interest......not to say its not possible but lets see if it even happens.

Many members of the BRF have friends with very distasteful 'quirks' and who are very problematic but it doesnt stop them.

An example if Prince Andrew and his friends in NY. When he got into a spot of bother, his mother gave him some sort of dispensation so that he wouldnt have to return the US to face charges! Now, that's a problem!

The BRF is not a morally pure family, not have any of the Royals been concerned about their behaviour, throughout history. Not ever.

I'm sure they can weather anything. :D

The Queen is only a figurehead, not allowed to 'govern' although she has ceremonial events around the government.

I like Meghan, hope she and Harry have a wonderful life, in spite of the nasties who comment in the tabloid press.

Thanks for offering your POV! Personally, I don't worry about any of it, unless it morphs into some political problems that affect the US. It's true, other members of the BRF have encountered trouble because of conflicts of interest with businesses and similar outsiders wishing to influence British government.

Prince Andrew, Sara Ferguson and Prince Edward's wife Sophie have all experienced conflict of interest issues in various ways. Of course since such things have the potential to affect British commerce, etc., the government does pay attention.

True, the Queen does still have ceremonial and formal roles and some power in government.

The Queen gives a weekly audience to the Prime Minister at which she has a right and a duty to express her views on Government matters. If either The Queen or the Prime Minister are not available to meet, then they will speak by telephone. These meetings, as with all communications between The Queen and her Government, remain strictly confidential. Having expressed her views, The Queen abides by the advice of her ministers.

After a general election, the appointment of a Prime Minister is the prerogative of the Sovereign.

In appointing a Prime Minister, the Sovereign is guided by constitutional conventions. The main requirement is to find someone who can command the confidence of the House of Commons. This is normally secured by appointing the leader of the party with an overall majority of seats in the Commons, but there could still be exceptional circumstances when The Queen might need to exercise discretion to ensure that her Government is carried on.

The Queen and Government

Perhaps it's Queen Elizabeth's style that makes some folks forget the serious responsibilities she holds in addition to ceremonial ones. It's mostly done out of the media spotlight.

The Queen has NO duty to express her views on Government matters.

The Queen is simply a figurehead. Always strictly neutral in all matters.

She actually holds no power whatsoever, the monarchy is not a political thing, its an historical/ceremonial role only.

I do worry about Charles as king, as he is a real busybody, involving himself into matters of state which he will not be allowed to do once on the throne.

I don’t blame her for wanting to sue them. Perhaps then media will stop paying for the stories from her ridiculous “family” that has nothing to do with her except to see her as a cash cow to exploit.

They are slobbering over getting any money via her. It’s pathetic.

It must be heartbreaking to her to find out that the father she loves is an opportunist. Shattering I am sure.

She will be an object to tear apart as was Diana. She does not need to read the tabloids. It can be that she was advised of this step to take to attempt to stop the idiocy.

I think it was addressed in the interview done around the time of their engagement. Harry indicated that the best way was to 'not read' any of it.
I presumed he was referring to the tabloid press, the rags and yellow journalists who will suck the blood out of their targets.

He was saying 'there's no going back', that life could never be the same if she married him.

Although I think the baby shower was 'high end', I have no problem with Meghan having personal trips and personal events with anyone, as long as the taxpayers don't have to foot the bill.

We already foot the bill for their very opulent lifestyle but their personal lives should be their own business. IMO

I have met Sarah Ferguson and believe it or not, she's a lovely, compassionate and generous woman. Once again, the tabloids did a number on her. They are like wolves, anything goes if they can sell papers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam