FL - Chad Oulson, 43, killed in Wesley Chapel theater shooting, 13 Jan 2014 *Former LE arrest*

My perception is the two couples were strangely similar. Case in point, victim's wife attempted to control victim. Holding him back. The body language in the video is victim was confrontational as much as Mr. Reeves. Mr. Reeves wife clearly indicated she didn't approve of her husbands actions. Victims wife was injured during her attempt to control her husband.

Now the alleged suspect, former law enforcement officer Curtis Reeves gives me grumpy old man vibe. Although we have some wonderful law enforcement officers, we all know some that are power hungry, and know more than the next guy.

I was formerly married to a law enforcement officer, and have several family members in law enforcement. Sometimes the job just goes to their head.

Just my opinion. Both suspect and victim couldn't control their anger and outburst despite the wives

I appreciate what you have said.

In my opinion, Mrs. Reeves comes across as though she is sick and tired of her husband's bullying. Enough is enough. Hence, the statement to Reeves that Chad Oulson's conduct did not rise to the level that he had to be shot. I did not appreciate the way that Reeves attempted to stifle his wife afterward, using horrible language, especially in light of just having shot a man. That is not a loving relationship (IMO).

I think that Reeves was probably a wonderful cop, back in the day. His problems began with retirement, when he lost that power he once had by virtue of his job. That is just they way I see it.

I agree. "abusive husband" reminded me of this testimony:
Witness: Wife chided Reeves after theater shooting and he told her to shut her mouth
Updated: March 2, 2017 at 01:03 PM
DADE CITY — Sumter County sheriff's Sgt. Alan Hamilton
Hamilton testified Wednesday as a prosecution witness. [...]

Hamilton said he overheard an exchange between Reeves and his wife, Vivian.

"He pointed his finger at her and told her to shut her mouth and to not say another f- - - - - - word," Hamilton testified.

Reeves' comment, according to Hamilton, had followed an admonition by the wife.

"That was no cause to shoot that man," Hamilton said he heard Vivian Reeves say.

In testimony during the defense portion of the two-week hearing, Reeves' wife had denied the statements attributed to her and her husband.

"I said, 'What happened, you can't shoot into a theater full of people,' or something like that," she recalled.

Bringing this forward because it is such a great post!

I discovered this State of Florida site too (new to me) and even here there's nothing after late October of last year.
State of Florida vs Curtis Reeves
I even googled him and nothing recent came up. You would think if he died or something it would be mentioned somewhere.

I discovered this State of Florida site too (new to me) and even here there's nothing after late October of last year.
I even googled him and nothing recent came up. You would think if he died or something it would be mentioned somewhere.

My understanding is that we are still waiting for the State of Fla. Supreme Court to decide whether Reeves is entitled to another stand your ground hearing before this proceeds to trial. I don't know when the State Supreme Court will decide this, but could well be that we may hear something soon. (I am hoping.)

My understanding is that we are still waiting for the State of Fla. Supreme Court to decide whether Reeves is entitled to another stand your ground hearing before this proceeds to trial. I don't know when the State Supreme Court will decide this, but could well be that we may hear something soon. (I am hoping.)
You are correct alexwood. We are waiting for Florida Supreme Court.
(PENDING RESOLUTION OF LOVE V. STATE (SC18-747) AND STATE V. TYMOTHY RAY MARTIN (SC18-789))

Martin case is waiting for resolution of Love case.
Oral argument was held 03/06/2019 in LOVE V. STATE (SC18-747).
So, perhaps we will hear something soon.

http://curtisreevestrial.com/
Case Dockets:
08/23/2018 — REPLY TO STATE'S RESPONSE TO DEFENDANT'S MOTION REQUESTING (I) A PRETRIAL IMMUNITY HEARING PURSUANT TO 776.032, FLA. STAT. (2017), (II) TO HOLD THIS PROCEEDING IN ABEYANCE PENDING RESOLUTION OF LOVE V. STATE (SC18-747) AND STATE V. TYMOTHY RAY MARTIN (SC18-789)

http://curtisreevestrial.com/files/1103.pdf
upload_2019-4-12_20-55-6.png

http://onlinedocketssc.flcourts.org/DocketResults/CaseDocket?Searchtype=Case+Number&CaseYear=2018&CaseNumber=789
Florida Supreme Court Docket
Case Docket
Case Number: SC18-789 - Active
STATE OF FLORIDA vs. TYMOTHY RAY MARTIN

06/18/2018 ORDER-STAY PROCEEDINGS FSC (TAG CASE) The proceedings in this Court in the above case are hereby stayed pending disposition of Tashara Love v. State of Florida, Case No. SC18-747, which is pending in this Court.

http://onlinedocketssc.flcourts.org...type=Case+Number&CaseYear=2018&CaseNumber=747
Florida Supreme Court Docket
Case Docket
Case Number: SC18-747 - Active
TASHARA LOVE vs. STATE OF FLORIDA

01/04/2019 ORDER-OA SCHED (PREV ACCEPTED) The Court previously accepted jurisdiction. The Court will hear oral argument at 9:00 a.m., Wednesday, March 6, 2019. A maximum of twenty minutes to the side is allowed for the argument, but counsel is expected to use only so much of that time as is necessary. NO CONTINUANCES WILL BE GRANTED EXCEPT UPON A SHOWING OF EXTREME HARDSHIP.

03/06/2019 ORAL ARGUMENT HELD

Thank you SeeSeas! I just couldn't make heads or tails of what was posted there. I got confused by the docket saying jury trial for March. Thank you very much for clearing that up.

Thank you SeeSeas! I just couldn't make heads or tails of what was posted there. I got confused by the docket saying jury trial for March. Thank you very much for clearing that up.
I, too, was very confused for various reasons.o_O
The court has this 10/23/2018 docket entry:
NOTICE OF JURY TRIAL FEBRUARY 25, 2019 (CONTINUED)
which is after the 08/24/2018 COURT EVENT FORM reflecting these handwritten words at the bottom of the document:
"remove from trial calendar. Crt stayed proceedings until Supreme Crt decision."

This made me think that the trial was finally re-set to start FEB 25. Although it has "CONTINUED" on that docket entry, the main court website has FEB and MAR 2019 dates for JURY TRIAL listing two different judges:

https://www.civitekflorida.com/ocrs/app/search.xhtml
Court Events
Event Date Judge Docket Type Location Prosecutor Defendant Attorney
02/20/2019 09:00 BARTHLE, SUSAN G CALENDAR CALL ES A MARTIN, GLENN LAIR ESCOBAR, RICHARD
02/25/2019 09:00 BARTHLE, SUSAN G JURY TRIAL ES A MARTIN, GLENN LAIR ESCOBAR, RICHARD
03/04/2019 09:00 BARTHLE, SUSAN G JURY TRIAL ES A MARTIN, GLENN LAIR ESCOBAR, RICHARD
03/11/2019 09:00 BARTHLE, SUSAN G JURY TRIAL ES A MARTIN, GLENN LAIR ESCOBAR, RICHARD
02/25/2019 09:00 LEWIS, KEMBA JOHNSON JURY TRIAL ES D MARTIN, GLENN LAIR ESCOBAR, RICHARD

Case Dockets:
10/23/2018 — NOTICE OF JURY TRIAL FEBRUARY 25, 2019 (CONTINUED)
08/24/2018 — COURT EVENT FORM
http://curtisreevestrial.com/files/1104.pdf
upload_2019-4-14_8-3-22.png
08/23/2018 — REPLY TO STATE'S RESPONSE TO DEFENDANT'S MOTION REQUESTING (I) A PRETRIAL IMMUNITY HEARING PURSUANT TO 776.032, FLA. STAT. (2017), (II) TO HOLD THIS PROCEEDING IN ABEYANCE PENDING RESOLUTION OF LOVE V. STATE (SC18-747) AND STATE V. TYMOTHY RAY MARTIN (SC1
08/21/2018 — STATE'S RESPONSE TO DEFENDANT'S MOTION REQUESTING (I) A PRETRIAL IMMUNITY HEARING PURSUANT TO 776.032, FLA. STAT. (2017), (II) TO HOLD THIS PROCEEDING IN ABEYANCE, PENDING RESOLUTION OF LOVE V. STATE (SC18-747) AND STATE V. TIMOTHY RAY MARTIN (SC18-799),

Attachments

• upload_2019-4-14_7-58-47.png
    upload_2019-4-14_7-58-47.png
    76.6 KB · Views: 1
With Pasco stand your ground case in limbo, Curtis Reeves asks judge ease bail restrictions
July 10, 2019
DADE CITY — Remember Curtis Reeves?

He's the retired police captain who claimed self-defense under Florida's stand your ground law after he shot a man in a Pasco County movie theater. A judge rejected that argument in 2017. Since then, the legal proceedings have been in limbo amid uncertainty about whether Reeves is entitled to a new stand your ground hearing.

The matter will be back in court Thursday.

With no end soon to the five-year-old case, Reeves’ lawyers have asked a judge to ease the restrictions on where he can go and what he can do while he awaits an eventual new hearing or trial.
[...]
In a written motion filed in court last month, Reeves' attorneys noted that it has been almost 1,800 days since he was released from jail. In that time, he has spent more than $15,000 to cover the costs of the GPS monitor, the motion states. He has spent an additional $5,000 a month for a secure storage unit where his lead defense lawyer, Richard Escobar, has kept Reeves' guns. He expects to spend tens of thousands of dollars more during his trial or a second stand your ground hearing. Reeves and his wife rely on pension funds and have mined their savings and other assets to pay for his defense, according to his lawyers. "Funds that could be expended on defense-related items are currently being spent on GPS monitoring costs," they wrote.

Reeves has complied with all conditions of his bail, his lawyers said. They asked for a judge's blessing to remove the GPS monitor and allow Reeves to travel freely among Hernando, Pasco and Hillsborough counties. They also asked the court to permit his son, Matthew Reeves, a Tampa police officer, to hold onto his father's guns.
[...]
A judge will hear Reeves's request to modify his bail conditions Thursday morning.

Re: He has spent an additional $5,000 a month for a secure storage unit. . .
NOTE: ^^ Article is incorrect.
Per motion "To date, Defendant has spent nearly $5000 on storage expenses."

http://www.curtisreevestrial.com/files/1107.pdf

Last edited:
With Pasco stand your ground case in limbo, Curtis Reeves asks judge ease bail restrictions
July 10, 2019
DADE CITY — Remember Curtis Reeves?

He's the retired police captain who claimed self-defense under Florida's stand your ground law after he shot a man in a Pasco County movie theater. A judge rejected that argument in 2017. Since then, the legal proceedings have been in limbo amid uncertainty about whether Reeves is entitled to a new stand your ground hearing.

The matter will be back in court Thursday.

With no end soon to the five-year-old case, Reeves’ lawyers have asked a judge to ease the restrictions on where he can go and what he can do while he awaits an eventual new hearing or trial.
[...]
In a written motion filed in court last month, Reeves' attorneys noted that it has been almost 1,800 days since he was released from jail. In that time, he has spent more than $15,000 to cover the costs of the GPS monitor, the motion states. He has spent an additional $5,000 a month for a secure storage unit where his lead defense lawyer, Richard Escobar, has kept Reeves' guns. He expects to spend tens of thousands of dollars more during his trial or a second stand your ground hearing. Reeves and his wife rely on pension funds and have mined their savings and other assets to pay for his defense, according to his lawyers. "Funds that could be expended on defense-related items are currently being spent on GPS monitoring costs," they wrote.

Reeves has complied with all conditions of his bail, his lawyers said. They asked for a judge's blessing to remove the GPS monitor and allow Reeves to travel freely among Hernando, Pasco and Hillsborough counties. They also asked the court to permit his son, Matthew Reeves, a Tampa police officer, to hold onto his father's guns.
[...]
A judge will hear Reeves's request to modify his bail conditions Thursday morning.

Re: He has spent an additional $5,000 a month for a secure storage unit. . .
NOTE: ^^ Article is incorrect.
Per motion "To date, Defendant has spent nearly $5000 on storage expenses."

http://www.curtisreevestrial.com/files/1107.pdf

Thank you, SSeas!

For starters, he needs to sell the gun collection. Where he's going he won't be needing them.

My heart just bleeds for him, having to spend his hard-won pension dollars on the monitoring system, legal defense fees, etc. In the great scheme of things, it's nothing compared to what Nicole and her daughter have lost.

WTSP reporter "A decision is expected in a few days."
Curtis Reeves, accused theater shooter, asks for pre-trial release

10News WTSP
Published on Jul 11, 2019

Accused Pasco Movie Theater Gunman Hoping To End House Arrest
PUBLISHED 7:43 AM EDT Jul. 11, 2019 UPDATED 11:56 AM ET Jul. 11, 2019
DADE CITY, Fla. — The man accused in the fatal 2014 Wesley Chapel movie theater shooting appeared in a Dade City courtroom Thursday morning.

Curtis Reeves is hoping to no longer be confined to house arrest.
[...]
Circuit Judge Kemba Johnson Lewis said she'd take today's arguments under advisement. She did not say when she would render a decision.

July 11, 2019
DADE CITY — Curtis Reeves has been confined to his Hernando County home for the last five years. He has ventured out only to go to church, the grocery store, doctor’s appointments, his lawyer’s office and the Dade City courthouse.

Now, half a decade after he was accused in the fatal shooting of a man in a Wesley Chapel movie theater, and two years after he unsuccessfully argued self-defense under Florida’s stand your ground law, the retired Tampa police captain wants more freedom – and relief from the financial hardship the case has brought him.

Reeves, who turns 77 in August, returned Thursday to a Pasco County courtroom. He sat quietly at a defense table, donning a brown jacket and a tie, as one of his lawyers tried to persuade a judge to relax the conditions of his release from jail.
[...]
Michaels also compared Reeves with another local defendant who has invoked stand your ground — Michael Drejka.

Drejka is accused in the 2018 shooting of Markeis McGlockton outside a Clearwater convenience store during an argument over a parking space.

Unlike Drejka, Reeves has no history of brushes with the law, Michaels said. Unlike Reeves, Drejka has no restrictions on where he can go.
[...]

July 11, 2019
DADE CITY — Curtis Reeves has been confined to his Hernando County home for the last five years. He has ventured out only to go to church, the grocery store, doctor’s appointments, his lawyer’s office and the Dade City courthouse.

Now, half a decade after he was accused in the fatal shooting of a man in a Wesley Chapel movie theater, and two years after he unsuccessfully argued self-defense under Florida’s stand your ground law, the retired Tampa police captain wants more freedom – and relief from the financial hardship the case has brought him.

Reeves, who turns 77 in August, returned Thursday to a Pasco County courtroom. He sat quietly at a defense table, donning a brown jacket and a tie, as one of his lawyers tried to persuade a judge to relax the conditions of his release from jail.
[...]
Michaels also compared Reeves with another local defendant who has invoked stand your ground — Michael Drejka.

Drejka is accused in the 2018 shooting of Markeis McGlockton outside a Clearwater convenience store during an argument over a parking space.

Unlike Drejka, Reeves has no history of brushes with the law, Michaels said. Unlike Reeves, Drejka has no restrictions on where he can go.
[...]

Thanks you, SeesSeas!

From the same article:
"To suggest that because he’s been a good boy during the delay that the defense has created to then use that to try to get him to do whatever he wants or be able to do whatever he wants, in my opinion, is an atrocity," said TJ Grimaldi, attorney for Nicole Oulson.

Thanks you, SeesSeas!

From the same article:
"To suggest that because he’s been a good boy during the delay that the defense has created to then use that to try to get him to do whatever he wants or be able to do whatever he wants, in my opinion, is an atrocity," said TJ Grimaldi, attorney for Nicole Oulson.
Yes, good quote! That quote is from the Bay News 9 article.

PUBLISHED 7:43 AM EDT Jul. 11, 2019 UPDATED 11:56 AM ET Jul. 11, 2019
DADE CITY, Fla. — The man accused in the fatal 2014 Wesley Chapel movie theater shooting appeared in a Dade City courtroom Thursday morning.

Curtis Reeves is hoping to no longer be confined to house arrest.
[...]
Circuit Judge Kemba Johnson Lewis said she'd take today's arguments under advisement. She did not say when she would render a decision.

10News WTSP‏Verified account @10NewsWTSP 1m1 minute ago
JUST IN: Curtis Reeves, accused of killing a man during an argument at a Pasco County movie theater, was denied his request to remove an ankle monitor and move more freely from his house arrest.

Judge denies Curtis Reeves' request to remove ankle monitor ahead of trial
Published: 11:52 AM EDT July 26, 2019
Updated: 12:01 PM EDT July 26, 2019

The Pasco County movie theater shooter was denied a motion that would have modified the conditions of his pretrial release.

On Friday, Judge Kemba Lewis denied Curtis Reeves’ motion that would have allowed him to leave his home with fewer restrictions and give up his ankle monitor.
[...]

Case Dockets:
07/25/2019 — MEMORANDUM OF LAW IN SUPPORT OF MOTION TO MODIFY CONDITIONS OF PRETRIAL RELEASE
http://curtisreevestrial.com/files/1111.pdf

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jbks
Back