OH Pike County: 8 in Rhoden Family Murdered Over Custody Issue 4 Members Wagner Family Arrested#43

Status
Not open for further replies.
That is a possibility but I think they were probably just purchasing. I wonder if the Rhodens and Wagners were in a business relationship regarding stolen goods. Remember the trailer that Bobby Jo said was full of flea sale items? I wonder if the Wagners stole and the Rhodens sold for them when the Wagners no longer felt safe selling themselves.

I think of both families as two peas in a pod. Supposedly they were the best of friends until they weren't according to the article that quoted someone in a barber shop. Both families actively engaged in criminal activities, and the only difference I see between the families is that until the murders only the Rhodens engaged in violent activities that we have been made aware.

I think they were very friendly with one another at one point in time. Something soured the relationship. The W4s had no control over the Rs, the Rs did as they pleased. They had no legal recourse using the courts either, which stands out to me. When the relationship soured, then the desire to have control over S probably became much more important, especially after photos of another male started showing up on FB, and was potentially becoming more of a fixture in S's life. People will use anything to justify their actions.

TY Cool Cats. Last sentence is really interesting. Does anyone know who the owner of Rocky Mountain Boot Company was back in 2009? JMO

Rocky Mountain Boots went public in 1993. The original owner was F. M. Brooks. His son, Mike Brooks
took over the Nelsonville, Ohio company in 1975, after it was purchased by Irving Drew Shoes of Lancaster,
Ohio. The purchase didn't work as hoped and Mike became the owner and started manufacturing outdoor
hunting gear. With DuPont's assisting the company, a formula produced a top of the line boot.

Happened upon this video from a DeWine/Reader press conference on April 13, 2017. It was interesting to watch in light of what we know now.
These are not exact quotes, but paraphrased from my notes. The following are my impressions and opinions only(in random order):

1) I think Reader/DeWine (CR/MD) had recently figured out the W4 were responsible for the murders. The purpose of the very emotional press conference with victim’s pictures seemed to be an emotional appeal for more people to come forward and talk to police. CR announced a $10,000 Crimestoppers reward and urged people to donate and increase it.
2) MD kept repeating, the FOCUS of this investigation is murder and not for uncovering drug related crimes. Wouldn’t say outright there would be immunity given to informants for drug offenses, but alluded to it. Seemed CR/MD thought informants they were looking to interview might be involved in drug related activities. Maybe John Doe?
3) MD said this investigation has provided him with new knowledge of decades of criminal activity in PC. I read it as the murder investigation may have inadvertently solved many previous unrelated crimes (drugs, murders, money laundering, fraud?). Biggest investigation in BCI history.
4) Reader struck me as extremely sincere. I highly doubt LE corruption in this case.
5) MD said - We believe there are people out there with information. Better for people to come forward before we have to drag you in.
6) The press conference was also directed at the W4. The W’s interviews seemed to intensify immediately after 4/13/2017. CR and MD both said – we know who you are and we will get you.
7) I think the W4 started packing soon after 4/13/2017 and left for AK a month later.
8) Stats 356 days into the investigation, as of 4/13/2017
883 tips
465 interviews (some people were interviewed multiple times)
38 search warrants issued (makes you realize we know the locations of only a few of the searches that were carried out)
60 cyber-extractions – MD clarified, cell phone and DVR etc.
9) AC was called up to the podium and introduced. She was already on the case. That tells me they had already starting building a solid case against the W4 as of 4/13/2017.
10) Kids in foster care as of 4/13/17 with family visitation. Don’t know if that included SW
11) CR – I’ve got a message for the killers….. ….. in the most horrific way I’ve seen in 24 years. We are getting closer. We will find you….we are coming, we will find you, and we will arrest you and you will be prosecuted.

If anyone has any questions, I’m attaching a link to the video of the 4/13/2017 press conference I watched.

No doubt I will be editing for grammar! If I edit any content I will add an ETA

Last edited:
Happened upon this video from a DeWine/Reader press conference on April 13, 2017. It was interesting to watch in light of what we know now.
These are not exact quotes, but paraphrased from my notes. The following are my impressions and opinions only(in random order):

1) I think Reader/DeWine (CR/MD) had recently figured out the W4 were responsible for the murders. The purpose of the very emotional press conference with victim’s pictures seemed to be an emotional appeal for more people to come forward and talk to police. CR announced a $10,000 Crimestoppers reward and urged people to donate and increase it.
2) MD kept repeating, the FOCUS of this investigation is murder and not for uncovering drug related crimes. Wouldn’t say outright there would be immunity given to informants for drug offenses, but alluded to it. Seemed CR/MD thought informants they were looking to interview might be involved in drug related activities. Maybe John Doe?
3) MD said this investigation has provided him with new knowledge of decades of criminal activity in PC. I read it as the murder investigation may have inadvertently solved many previous unrelated crimes (drugs, murders, money laundering, fraud?). Biggest investigation in BCI history.
4) Reader struck me as extremely sincere. I highly doubt LE corruption in this case.
5) MD said - We believe there are people out there with information. Better for people to come forward before we have to drag you in.
6) The press conference was also directed at the W4. The W’s interviews seemed to intensify immediately after 4/13/2017. CR and MD both said – we know who you are and we will get you.
7) I think the W4 started packing soon after 4/13/2017 and left for AK a month later.
883 tips
38 search warrants issued (makes you realize we know the locations of only a few of the searches that were carried out)
9) AC was called up to the podium and introduced. She was already on the case. That tells me they had already starting building a solid case against the W4 as of 4/13/2017.
10) Kids in foster care as of 4/13/17 with family visitation. Don’t know if that included SW
11) CR – I’ve got a message for the killers….. ….. in the most horrific way I’ve seen in 24 years. We are getting closer. We will find you….we are coming, we will find you, and we will arrest you and you will be prosecuted.

If anyone has any questions, I’m attaching a link to the video of the 4/13/2017 press conference I watched.

Wow! You put a lot of research into this synopsis thankx.
I think it only took 6 months for Sheriff Reader to suspect the Wagners.... My 2 Cents is that the Wagners were considered suspects at that time, in LE circles (but not publicly disclosed).

This is when LM makes statements that sound like LE is not targeting the Manleys anymore, in fact, starting at this time the Manleys want to hear from LE more often.

Also the 2 fights are mentioned that happened before the murders, but only that it involved the Rhodens.

UPDATE 10/18/16 @ 6:32 p.m.
PIKE COUNTY, Ohio (WSAZ) -- It’s been nearly six months since eight members of the Rhoden family were found killed execution-style at four separate crime scenes in Pike County on April 22.

Though nearly half a year has passed, very few details about the case have been released, and investigators are not commenting on specifics. That is until Pike County Sheriff Charles Reader said he believes the ones responsible are from the Pike County area, and not from out of town like previously thought.

“I can consider everyone a suspect now, but to me there is no indication that the Mexican drug cartel was involved in this homicide,” Sheriff Reader told media outlets................. "

.........Investigators aren't releasing too many details because they don't want to jeopardize the case. However, they have said they believe it was more than just one lone attacker, and the Rhodens were specifically targeted.

Sheriff: Killers in Pike County may be locals
Authorities give new details to the I-Team
Posted: 12:00 PM, Oct 17, 2016
Updated: 10:24 PM, Oct 17, 2016

By: Hillary Lake , James Leggate

PIKETON, Ohio -- It wasn't a Mexican drug cartel. The killers weren't from another country.

The people who wiped out eight members of a family in Pike County last April are likely locals.

At least, that's the theory Pike County Sheriff Charles Reader is leaning toward. For the first time since the killings, Reader recently sat down with a reporter to discuss the investigation at length and in depth.

"That's my belief," he said.

Six months later, the Rhoden family massacre still haunts residents of Pike County. It's now considered among the most notorious homicide cases in Ohio history........... "

.......Leonard Manley said he's upset the sheriff is not keeping his family in the loop.

Manley said police ONCE (my emphasis) treated his family as suspects. Investigators took DNA samples from him and had his daughter take a lie detector test, he said.

With the focus now zeroed in on locals, Attorney General Mike DeWine said investigators have reconstructed every aspect of the victims' lives.

But it's still not clear if they've identified a suspect.

"I'm not going to say more than that," DeWine said. "What I am going to say is that someone who will be watching this today knows something that will be helpful to us."

Records show none of the victims had criminal records. Reader said some of the family was involved in two fights not reported to police before the murders.

Snipped the above articles until this line.
Records show none of the victims had criminal records.
That is totally incorrect and a simple search shows that. I wonder why the reporters did not do their research. Also I think local law enforcement had little to do with the actual investigation and instead anything of importance was handled by BCI. This was too important to have the local yokels do much other than grunt work. Likewise I think Reader was throwing a temper tantrum in his latest news conference when he did not get to say the amount the county commissioners would delegate to his office. His little statement that he is the sheriff and can go to any meeting in his county made me think he was peeved that he was not invited when the attorney general was in town. He is out of the loop so to speak. The state has total control of this investigation and prosecution. All he can do is watch and his opinions don't really matter. He wants to feel important . JMO

I was tempted to print this out until I saw it was 252 pages!

LOL....Angela Wagner #49 Motions.
............Jake Wagner #10 Motions.
............George Wagner IV #3 Motions
............George Wagner III #41 Motions

From what I understand...2 Cents...most of these Motions are standard in death penalty cases, and in the end, all 4 will have many of the same Motions.

Something to look for-----Motions that are filed for one defendant but not filed for the others. :cool: Hmmmm.....

Last edited:
Rocky Mountain Boots went public in 1993. The original owner was F. M. Brooks. His son, Mike Brooks
took over the Nelsonville, Ohio company in 1975, after it was purchased by Irving Drew Shoes of Lancaster,
Ohio. The purchase didn't work as hoped and Mike became the owner and started manufacturing outdoor
hunting gear. With DuPont's assisting the company, a formula produced a top of the line boot.

TY! I had forgotten who it was. Wonder how the Ws got the boots?

883 tips

Thank you sooo much for this, Puzzles!

That is totally incorrect and a simple search shows that. I wonder why the reporters did not do their research. Also I think local law enforcement had little to do with the actual investigation and instead anything of importance was handled by BCI. This was too important to have the local yokels do much other than grunt work. Likewise I think Reader was throwing a temper tantrum in his latest news conference when he did not get to say the amount the county commissioners would delegate to his office. His little statement that he is the sheriff and can go to any meeting in his county made me think he was peeved that he was not invited when the attorney general was in town. He is out of the loop so to speak. The state has total control of this investigation and prosecution. All he can do is watch and his opinions don't really matter. He wants to feel important . JMO
Jmo you are so right. I completely and totally agree with your statement on Reader. Jmo

Does anyone know the marriage date of George and Angela Wagner? From news stories i know they were married by 2001 but working on finding the exact year and date.
Edit, oops. Wrong GW

Last edited:
Reporters get thrown a lot of stories to write with less than 24 hour turnaround. Think about the hours and hours (and hours) we have put in doing our research. Unless a reporter has been tracking the case and is familiar, there's likely only one or two levels of research done for each article. There just isn't time. Wouldn't take us nearly as much time to research developments because we know just where to look and what pertinent issues are.
Many posters, local to Ohio, are dismayed by the lack of MSM ongoing coverage of this case.
MOO

Last edited:
That is a possibility but I think they were probably just purchasing. I wonder if the Rhodens and Wagners were in a business relationship regarding stolen goods. Remember the trailer that Bobby Jo said was full of flea sale items? I wonder if the Wagners stole and the Rhodens sold for them when the Wagners no longer felt safe selling themselves.

I think of both families as two peas in a pod. Supposedly they were the best of friends until they weren't according to the article that quoted someone in a barber shop. Both families actively engaged in criminal activities, and the only difference I see between the families is that until the murders only the Rhodens engaged in violent activities that we have been made aware.

Is this just all your opinion or do you have links to share. JMO on your post. Alot of assumptions there.

Fresca, in your opinion, is this relevant to the case? Thank you.

A few of victims only had extremely minor charges. Look up the Wagners in every local county. Disgusting.

And Charles Reader is 10 times the person any of us WILL EVER BE...MHO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members