UT - Susan Powell, 28, West Valley City, 6 Dec 2009 #7

Some mines in Northern Utah are actually quite damp inside, with ground water dripping and even snow melt. Southern Utah is a different story, as almost anything can mummifie within a few weeks.

I have always wondered about the role of the LDS church in the death of Susan Powell. Not literally, but the entire focus on staying married no matter what, and CPS is big on listening to Fathers in Utah. Utah is seriously another century, the patriarchal society is all encompassing there.

Feb 6 2019
'Cold': Forensic psychologist shares impressions of Josh Powell
"TACOMA, Wash. — A forensic psychologist who examined Josh Powell as part of a 2011 child custody case in Washington state viewed Powell as “very calculated, very bright, very narcissistic.”

"Manley shared his impressions of Powell in an interview for the investigative podcast series "Cold."

“He seemed to be guarded,” Manley said. “He certainly was dodgy in the interview, and of course I’m there to ask him questions about uncomfortable circumstances.”

“The boys, whom he loved, were actually in my opinion actually extensions of himself,” Manley said. “It’s like ‘Little Josh 1’ and ‘Little Josh 2’ and not my sons.”
“He had traits, narcissism, which is the perfect self,” Manley said. “The idea of a narcissist is that they do not have the ability to see themselves as flawed.”

There's just not only Steve and Josh, there's Michael gone. The younger boys gone are too heartbreaking to think about. But those 3 knew something. 2 daughters remain, I believe. Where's Susan? I hope if the one knows anything about Susan's where abouts, that it comes out soon. It's been a long time. Heavy hearts need some relief. jmo

There's just not only Steve and Josh, there's Michael gone. The younger boys gone are too heartbreaking to think about. But those 3 knew something. 2 daughters remain, I believe. Where's Susan? I hope if the one knows anything about Susan's where abouts, that it comes out soon. It's been a long time. Heavy hearts need some relief. jmo

This older article from last summer is about a surviving daughter who states she still has two siblings and mentions a sister. That could be the two daughters but there is still another sibling.

Sadness and relief: Steven Powell's estranged daughter on her dad's death

An excellent podcast if I do say so myself!
I am sure that it varies from mine to mine, but from listening to season 2 of "up and vanished", cadaver dogs were used to sniff at mine entrances and the handler felt confident if a body was in the abandoned mine, their dog would alert. They were searching around Crestone, CO. They mention in the "cold" podcast that drier air like the west desert area make air scents harder for dogs to pick up. I would think the drones like those that were used would be the easiest/best way to search. I've always wondered how easy or not easy it is to use an abandoned mine to hide a body (purely from a true crime obsessive viewpoint!).
Agreed. Do mines go straight down? Or are they linear, twisting? I don't know. Guess I'll be googling. Also, are there maps of where all the mines are? Who has them? Law Enforcement would not have the money or manpower to continually be searching. It would have to be volunteers, I'm sure... and bones, in a mine, probably virtually impossible to see. Time is always of the essence. Still, I would like to see Susan's remains discovered.

APR 23, 2019
Susan Cox Powell’s mother discusses the ongoing search for her daughter
Susan Cox Powell's mother is talking about the search for her daughter.

A new four-hour show on Oxygen covers the disappearance, and Judy Cox, Susan's mother, and investigative report Stephanie Bauer joined Fox 13 to discuss the latest Tuesday morning.

(See video in the article for the interview.)

I’m just about done with Cold, I’m on the next to last episode now. I still can’t believe how nobody really made the safety of the kids a priority.

And Alina Powell knows nothing? What about the other brother, John? I don’t buy it.

I’m just about done with Cold, I’m on the next to last episode now. I still can’t believe how nobody really made the safety of the kids a priority.

And Alina Powell knows nothing? What about the other brother, John? I don’t buy it.
John is, I believe, too mentally ill to be much help. And I can’t figure Alina out. She’s so sure they are innocent it makes me think they didn’t tell her anything. She may just be a byproduct of the family dysfunction. Moo

John is, I believe, too mentally ill to be much help. And I can’t figure Alina out. She’s so sure they are innocent it makes me think they didn’t tell her anything. She may just be a byproduct of the family dysfunction. Moo

Makes sense about John because he’s rarely discussed in detail. In one of Steven’s journals he said that John was against marriage - which is why I wondered if he might know anything. Alina always seemed like she was a byproduct. She stuck by Steven when he told her how he loved Susan, but then she stuck by Josh through this too. It’s mind blowing how Steven really f’d his kids up.

I still cannot comprehend how poorly things were handled. Those little boys would still be alive. The only ones that truly thought about them and put them first were Susan’s parents.

MAY 3, 2019
Susan Cox Powell’s father speaks out in doc on missing mom’s case: ‘I thought she was being isolated’
RTR2XOGV_susancoxpowell.jpg

A picture of Susan Powell is seen on a screen with her children Charles (R) and Braden Powell during funeral services for the boys in Tacoma, Wash., Feb. 11, 2012. (Reuters)

Chuck Cox is hoping his daughter’s story will encourage other women to leave their abusive spouses for good.

The heartbroken patriarch is participating in a two-night docuseries on Oxygen titled “The Disappearance of Susan Cox Powell,” which explores the devastating final years of the 28-year-old Utah mother when she vanished from her home in 2009. It features shocking never-before-seen videos and rare interviews with family members — and footage of her two young boys, who died in a fire started by their own dad.

[...]

“I must have received about 100 calls from people saying, ‘Because of Susan, we got our daughter out of this situation,’” Cox told Fox News. “[These women are in] uncomfortable situations and think maybe they should leave… but then they feel things are going to get better. And they believe their abuser. They’ll start a divorce proceeding and go, ‘I don’t want to be mean to him.’ So they start and stop. If you’re going to leave, you have to make up your mind and leave.”

[...]

“I thought she was being isolated so I bought her a phone,” said Cox. “I told her if she had to get out, take the phone… and get out. We would find a way to get the kids. We had several discussions about going to a neighbor or safe area and then getting in touch so we can deal with things. I didn’t trust Josh, but she had to make that decision.”

[...]

Cox was outraged that his daughter’s privacy was violated publicly. He also believed she was never capable of walking out on her children.

[...]

“Josh never treated her like how a wife or loved one should be treated,” he said. “And that was at the beginning of the relationship — the time where everyone is on their best behavior. If you’re not going to be treated right in the beginning, then how do you think it’s going to get after the novelty’s worn off and the honeymoon is over? … If something doesn’t feel right, there’s probably a good reason for that.”

"The Disappearance of Susan Cox Powell" airs Saturday, May 4 at 7 p.m. on Oxygen.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohbeehaave
Back