ACTIVE SEARCH SD - Serenity Dennard, 9, Children’s Home Society, Pennington County, 3 Feb 2019 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also hampered by the trees! If a 9 year old burrowed into brush at the base of a tree, those drones aren't likely to get a useful image of her.

Completely agree that the home will be adding cameras.

JMHO

I haven't seen any of this drama, but I wonder what they'd even have to be dramatic about. It's not as though any of the family is at fault. She wasn't there at home when she disappeared. People just seem bent on creating drama no matter what sometimes. Sad. They should be pulling together for Serenity.

Haven't seen it either but grief can do strange things at times. There is the blaming oneself, with if only I had went there or been there, if only I had done this or that, what if, and then there is the blaming of others... I see it on here. I do it in almost every case. And we do not even know the victims. Just my humble opinion and just speculation/thoughts. Can't comment further because I have not seen what is actually going on. And grieving when you have no answers nor know there is a need to grieve (there is still some hope right?) must be even harder. It would be good though to pull together for answers and for this child for sure and put the focus there if they can.

Heart_Purple.gif

Heart_Purple.gif
Serenity
Heart_Purple.gif

Heart_Purple.gif

Dear Lord,
Please bring this child home where she belongs.
Amen

The new flyer is a wonderful picture -- but again says this healthy-looking child is 4' 7" and 96 pounds!!!

Is her weight transposed?

Unlikely to help us all find Serenity, either way.

Prayers & comfort for Serenity, her families, and all involved in her care & search, Laughing

I’d imagine 69 lbs is much closer to accurate than 96. It always bothers me with kids that they never have accurate stats because if I’m looking for a 4’7” 96 lb kid, then I’m checking out every obese kid I see hoping to find Serenity when in reality based on her photos she looks a healthy weight. But how many people question the accuracy? We have an obesity epidemic in the US so no one thinks to question 96 lbs.

Healthy weight height for a 5' female is 100lbs. That's the standard our pediatrician always went by. The 96lb for under just 5' tall isn't that far off normal. Muscle weighs more than fat. At this age, she's likely solid muscle. She's still running around playing tag, kickball, climbing the jungle gym kinda activity, maybe even playing a sport. Girls will fill out right before puberty, then grow quickly, usually straight up and fill out in the appropriate places. Those fat cells are needed for normal healthy development. Send us a sign sweet Serenity - we need you home!

What is interesting about this case, is how did this happen, what interventions could be done to prevent this situation again?

Was this an anomaly? Even so, the crisis needs analysis. Probably a lawsuit is pending.

What is interesting about this case, is how did this happen, what interventions could be done to prevent this situation again?

Was this an anomaly? Even so, the crisis needs analysis. Probably a lawsuit is pending.

I more than anything hate that hindsight may not help this child. However, I would like to see an honest acknowledgment and look at what can we do differently in the future to avoid it ever happening again. The best employees, the best places, the best businesses, learn from their mistakes and make changes, all are human, at least the last I knew :). However, in our liability ridden world, they at times will not acknowledge it nor be allowed to (sometimes by a board or administration) even when it comes to a missing child, death, accident, etc. Add in insurance companies and one can go further on that and sideways. Just my own opinion and just speculation.

The new flyer is a wonderful picture -- but again says this healthy-looking child is 4' 7" and 96 pounds!!!

Prayers & comfort for Serenity, her families, and all involved in her care & search, Laughing

My youngest daughter is 4’6” and at 92 lbs looks like a good healthy weight for her.

I more than anything hate that hindsight may not help this child. However, I would like to see an honest acknowledgment and look at what can we do differently in the future to avoid it ever happening again. The best employees, the best places, the best businesses, learn from their mistakes and make changes, all are human, at least the last I knew :). However, in our liability ridden world, they at times will not acknowledge it nor be allowed to (sometimes by a board or administration) even when it comes to a missing child, death, accident, etc. Add in insurance companies and one can go further on that and sideways. Just my own opinion and just speculation.

I bet that interior doors were not locked for exit due to fire code. But there should have been some sort of double safety lock feature, so that a resident couldn't get out independently. Not unlike what they have at nursing homes for people with dementia.

I have worked at various residential facilities, and found, unfortunately, that as much as you try to anticipate situations, and be proactive. You learn from situations like this, tragic as it is, so that incidents like this are a learning experience so it won't occur again.

Some people are just heavier boned. It sounds cliche, but I really do think bone density and circumference make a big difference in weight (not in looking overweight, just literally lbs on the scale). I look normal at 98 lbs and 5'3. My daughter also looks normal, yet feels like a brick when I pick her up and I know she is a good 15 lbs heavier than I was at her age. But I have tiny, light bones and she has bones of steel! Serenity also could have been weighed with winter clothes and boots on. Who knows, I would think most people won't analyze the number when you can see what she looks like in the picture.

I bet that interior doors were not locked for exit due to fire code. But there should have been some sort of double safety lock feature, so that a resident couldn't get out independently. Not unlike what they have at nursing homes for people with dementia.

I have worked at various residential facilities, and found, unfortunately, that as much as you try to anticipate situations, and be proactive. You learn from situations like this, tragic as it is, so that incidents like this are a learning experience so it won't occur again.

I know of people who have worked at nursing homes and know of deaths of residents who got out of nursing homes in frigid temps. An honest nursing home worker if one knows someone who works in one will tell you what likely happened. Nothing devious, just what likely happened and at what time of day and why (perhaps different states vary, no idea). Myself, I have never worked in any type of the places referred to. Sure have seen a lot with regard to liability though, etc.

I get the issues with doors and alarms with regard to privacy, rights, liability, etc. In no way am I blaming anyone but I do think liability has gone too far sometimes in this country and affects things not always in a positive way. I take this from a remark a poster made in an earlier thread I think that in some facilities they are actually told not to go after a "runner" because it can be claimed that the chasing made them run farther or faster. Say what? This is a 9 year old that took off in winter without a coat, etc. If such rules actually exist, then it is about the $$$ and liability and not the life of the child. I am in no way saying it was the case at this facility--I have no idea.

Like you though, I just feel if it is learned from/a learning experience then at least going forward maybe such things can be avoided. Yet I understand that is really easy for me to say, I was not there.

The contract that is signed when you place a child in residential treatment is quite extensive. It is made very clear what the policies are on running, security, medical care. If protocol was followed here I don't think a lawsuit will be forthcoming.

The family seems to be most concerned about getting a Serenity Alert. That petition is nearing 103,000 signatures.

https://www.change.org/p/serenity-alert-a-national-missing-children-s-alert-when-it-does-not-qualify-for-an-amber-alert?recruiter=936184712&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=psf_combo_share_abi.pacific_post_sap_share_gmail_abi.gmail_abi&utm_term=psf_combo_share_initial.pacific_post_sap_share_gmail_abi.gmail_abi&recruited_by_id=e0539840-2fe2-11e9-b2e9-2f97565c3aae&utm_content=fht-14273234-en-us:v6&fbclid=IwAR27WoLA9H1VEvgqrI8WV_dJEnFXvmZyBxRl12eN3YxcgU7rPrStxYaNbAE

I know of people who have worked at nursing homes and know of deaths of residents who got out of nursing homes in frigid temps. An honest nursing home worker if one knows someone who works in one will tell you what likely happened. Nothing devious, just what likely happened and at what time of day and why (perhaps different states vary, no idea). Myself, I have never worked in any type of the places referred to. Sure have seen a lot with regard to liability though, etc.

I get the issues with doors and alarms with regard to privacy, rights, liability, etc. In no way am I blaming anyone but I do think liability has gone too far sometimes in this country and affects things not always in a positive way. I take this from a remark a poster made in an earlier thread I think that in some facilities they are actually told not to go after a "runner" because it can be claimed that the chasing made them run farther or faster. Say what? This is a 9 year old that took off in winter without a coat, etc. If such rules actually exist, then it is about the $$$ and liability and not the life of the child. I am in no way saying it was the case at this facility--I have no idea.

Like you though, I just feel if it is learned from/a learning experience then at least going forward maybe such things can be avoided. Yet I understand that is really easy for me to say, I was not there.
It’s alarming that she could run away so easily. The Children’s Society does not appear to be a Mental Health home. All of the pediatric ones that I have experience with - you have to have a staff member let you in and staff member let you out. They use their badge to release the locks. Even so, my daughters school has so many protocols including locked classroom doors, so that a child doesn’t wander off. And it’s just a regular public school, not a home for children that have special situations. I feel sad that she was able to get out. At that age, they are not at the maturity level to know what is best for them. That’s why these serious protocols are often put into place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member