Midwest States - IL, IN, IA, KS, MI, MN, MO, SD, ND, NE, WI, OH - Weather Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Metro Detroit prepares for 'bomb cyclone' Sunday

With a "bomb cyclone" headed for Metro Detroit this weekend, DTE Energy is preparing for power outages and downed lines by calling in 300 out-of-state line workers.

The National Weather Service has issued a high wind watch for Sunday morning through late Sunday night, with gusts of 50-60 mph predicted. In an alert, the weather service said the strongest gusts are most likely from the late morning to late afternoon...

The last time we had a major wind storm (March, 2017), we lost three 25-year old spruces along the rear of our backyard. One of the trees fell onto the deck, split apart, and damaged gutter.

Gov. Walz Declares State Of Emergency In Freeborn, Steele Counties

Minnesota Gov. Tim Walz declared a state of emergency Saturday night in Freeborn and Steele counties to assist stranded motorists.
Gov. Walz ordered the Minnesota National Guard to prove assistance and emergency relief services for the stranded motorists in those counties.

Whiteout conditions close I-90 west of Albert Lea; emergency in 2 SE. counties

A blizzard packing heavy snow and high winds began raging across much of western and southern Minnesota late Saturday, making roads impassable in much of the region, and the dangerous weather is likely to continue well into Sunday evening.

Biggest winter storm of the season here in Montana. 12-16 inches by Wednesday. Below zero, before windchill!

Driving and walking should be great. A foot of snow on top of 3 inches of ice.

Biggest winter storm of the season here in Montana. 12-16 inches by Wednesday. Below zero, before windchill!

Driving and walking should be great. A foot of snow on top of 3 inches of ice.

Sounds similar to MN. We've had record setting amounts of snow this month and it's not over yet. Stay warm and safe :)

Sounds similar to MN. We've had record setting amounts of snow this month and it's not over yet. Stay warm and safe :)

This weather is nothing to mess with, today I-90 was white out conditions in some areas. Anyone traveling better stay on main roads and have emergency supplies ready, warm clothing, and a shovel.

This weather is nothing to mess with, today I-90 was white out conditions in some areas. Anyone traveling better stay on main roads and have emergency supplies ready, warm clothing, and a shovel.

Parts of 1-90 are closed. The National Guard is out helping stranded travelers and emergency shelters have been opened.

The winds from this bomb cyclone are something. Can’t breathe when walking into it. 34 mph sustained winds here at the moment with gusts up to 60. Got a little shove from the wind this morning when walking out to the chicken coops, which made me slide a little on the ice. Hard to hang onto doors in this wind!

The "cyclone bomb" has yet to arrive in full force in metro Detroit. The weather event has been delayed, with the worst of the storm arriving at 6:00PM and continuing until early tomorrow. It's a bit windy now with gusts @20mph. If you're in the path of the cyclone bomb, please be safe.

Wind has picked up significantly within the last hour, and it is drizzling lightly. Limited precipitation predicted throughout the day that could range from light drizzle to non-accumulating snow. There are already scattered power outages that are likely to become more wide-spread with increasing wind gusts. Fingers crossed that we don't lose power or tall spruces in our backyard like we did two years ago.

DTE Energy: 20K customers without power across Metro Detroit

Last edited:
My report for the day: people are still walking around in shorts in 23 degree temps with 29 mph winds and snow flurries today, possibly because the sun is shining!

Can anyone help me list some of the strange weather terminology we’ve heard this winter? I’m in IL and we had a regular blizzard in November, well before Thanksgiving. But in January they warned us of a “ground blizzard.” No one, not even the old timers, had heard of such. It was blizzard conditions caused by old blowing snow, with no new snow coming down. Then the lovely “polar vortex” descended. In February, we had what I term “thunder snow,” which started like a thunderstorm, turned to sleet, and then snow all in a couple of hours - with thunder and lightening the entire time. Now, at the end of February we’ve got this “bomb cyclone” thing happening and semis are falling over on the roads like a bunch of fainting goats.

Can anyone help me list some of the strange weather terminology we’ve heard this winter? I’m in IL and we had a regular blizzard in November, well before Thanksgiving. But in January they warned us of a “ground blizzard.” No one, not even the old timers, had heard of such. It was blizzard conditions caused by old blowing snow, with no new snow coming down. Then the lovely “polar vortex” descended. In February, we had what I term “thunder snow,” which started like a thunderstorm, turned to sleet, and then snow all in a couple of hours - with thunder and lightening the entire time. Now, at the end of February we’ve got this “bomb cyclone” thing happening and semis are falling over on the roads like a bunch of fainting goats.
I forgot the ice storms that took out dozens of telephone poles and the weird noises caused from the polar vortex. I forget what that was called.

Here in MI, they are calling it a Bomb Cyclone lol. It's bad, another storm. Worst winter ever!
Yeah, the ice storm took down as many as 18 power poles in a row. Now we’ve got the bomb cyclone. So far, power outages are not too bad from that, compared to the ice storm. I can only be grateful that the bomb cyclone did not come with the ice storm here. I hope you guys do not get or have ice during this wind.

I’m supposed to travel to Indianapolis this coming Sunday to get an elderly cat into rescue, and I pray the weather will cooperate. Sure glad it wasn’t scheduled for this Sunday!

Not Midwest, but the cyclone is pushing ice from Lake Ontario on to roads near Niagara Falls and points eastward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aishavn