OH Pike County: 8 in Rhoden Family Murdered Over Custody Issue 4 Members Wagner Family Arrested#43

Status
Not open for further replies.
That is a possibility but I think they were probably just purchasing. I wonder if the Rhodens and Wagners were in a business relationship regarding stolen goods. Remember the trailer that Bobby Jo said was full of flea sale items? I wonder if the Wagners stole and the Rhodens sold for them when the Wagners no longer felt safe selling themselves.

I think of both families as two peas in a pod. Supposedly they were the best of friends until they weren't according to the article that quoted someone in a barber shop. Both families actively engaged in criminal activities, and the only difference I see between the families is that until the murders only the Rhodens engaged in violent activities that we have been made aware.

What violent activities were the Rhodens engaged in that we have been made aware of?

Why do you say both families were peas in a pod? Just curious because I hadn’t really thought of them that way.

Wow! You put a lot of research into this synopsis thankx.
I think it only took 6 months for Sheriff Reader to suspect the Wagners.... My 2 Cents is that the Wagners were considered suspects at that time, in LE circles (but not publicly disclosed).

This is when LM makes statements that sound like LE is not targeting the Manleys anymore, in fact, starting at this time the Manleys want to hear from LE more often.

Also the 2 fights are mentioned that happened before the murders, but only that it involved the Rhodens.

UPDATE 10/18/16 @ 6:32 p.m.
PIKE COUNTY, Ohio (WSAZ) -- It’s been nearly six months since eight members of the Rhoden family were found killed execution-style at four separate crime scenes in Pike County on April 22.

Though nearly half a year has passed, very few details about the case have been released, and investigators are not commenting on specifics. That is until Pike County Sheriff Charles Reader said he believes the ones responsible are from the Pike County area, and not from out of town like previously thought.

“I can consider everyone a suspect now, but to me there is no indication that the Mexican drug cartel was involved in this homicide,” Sheriff Reader told media outlets................. "

.........Investigators aren't releasing too many details because they don't want to jeopardize the case. However, they have said they believe it was more than just one lone attacker, and the Rhodens were specifically targeted.

Sheriff: Killers in Pike County may be locals
Authorities give new details to the I-Team
Posted: 12:00 PM, Oct 17, 2016
Updated: 10:24 PM, Oct 17, 2016

By: Hillary Lake , James Leggate

PIKETON, Ohio -- It wasn't a Mexican drug cartel. The killers weren't from another country.

The people who wiped out eight members of a family in Pike County last April are likely locals.

At least, that's the theory Pike County Sheriff Charles Reader is leaning toward. For the first time since the killings, Reader recently sat down with a reporter to discuss the investigation at length and in depth.

"That's my belief," he said.

Six months later, the Rhoden family massacre still haunts residents of Pike County. It's now considered among the most notorious homicide cases in Ohio history........... "

.......Leonard Manley said he's upset the sheriff is not keeping his family in the loop.

Manley said police ONCE (my emphasis) treated his family as suspects. Investigators took DNA samples from him and had his daughter take a lie detector test, he said.

With the focus now zeroed in on locals, Attorney General Mike DeWine said investigators have reconstructed every aspect of the victims' lives.

But it's still not clear if they've identified a suspect.

"I'm not going to say more than that," DeWine said. "What I am going to say is that someone who will be watching this today knows something that will be helpful to us."

Records show none of the victims had criminal records. Reader said some of the family was involved in two fights not reported to police before the murders.

Yes, I think someone was looking for this interview a couple weeks ago. If possible, could you add these links to the Media & Timelines Thread for the Rhoden murders? It will make it easier for someone to find it the next time they go looking. TIA.

What violent activities were the Rhodens engaged in that we have been made aware of?

Why do you say both families were peas in a pod? Just curious because I hadn’t really thought of them that way.

I kind of agree. None of the Rhodens had been in trouble with the law for theft, fencing stolen goods or anything similar. After the murders, when LE removed all the vehicles that were towed from the Rhoden properties, they didn't find anything stolen. They were all returned to their surviving family members. If there were any time to catch Rhodens with stolen property, it would have been then.

The Rhodens all held down regular jobs, too. Only two of the Wagners did. AW sold exotic farm animals on the internet. Dana R got her degree and worked as a nurse. Not similar, JMO.

AFAIK, Wagners are the only people who've said they were close friends with the Rhodens. We haven't heard those reports from surviving family. So far, there's only been 1 photo of some of the family members together, allegedly at church. JMO, maybe they knew each other, maybe CR1 and GW3 did some trading of car parts, worked on derby cars together, but there's no evidence they were close friends or were even in business together. No records or reports of them selling used cars together. We'll find out more as the hearings and trials progress.

All JMO, of course.

Last edited:
Dana was a CNA and had no degrees, she had a certification to be a nursing assistant. But she was a hard worker and pulled overtime every chance she got. :)

Thanks, my mistake in nomenclature. I was going to correct it, but thanks for sparing me the effort.

That said, JMO, it doesn't change the fact that DR was doing things in her life during the time leading up to her brutal, senseless murder. She learned new skills, took care of her family, worked hard at her job, helped CR1 sell used cars. AW was just spending her days plotting to kill DR, her children, ex husband and much of the rest of her family. Those women and their families didn't have much in common, JMO.

I kind of agree. None of the Rhodens had been in trouble with the law for theft, fencing stolen goods or anything similar. After the murders, when LE removed all the vehicles that were towed from the Rhoden properties, they didn't find anything stolen. They were all returned to their surviving family members. If there were any time to catch Rhodens with stolen property, it would have been then.

The Rhodens all held down regular jobs, too. Only two of the Wagners did. AW sold exotic farm animals on the internet. Dana R got her degree and worked as a nurse. Not similar, JMO.

AFAIK, Wagners are the only people who've said they were close friends with the Rhodens. We haven't heard those reports from surviving family. So far, there's only been 1 photo of some of the family members together, allegedly at church. JMO, maybe they knew each other, maybe CR1 and GW3 did some trading of car parts, worked on derby cars together, but there's no evidence they were close friends or were even in business together. No records or reports of them selling used cars together. We'll find out more as the hearings and trials progress.

All JMO, of course.

Other than the pot growing/selling which they were never charged with, I don't recall any criminal activity the Rhodens were charged with or found guilty of. There were some physical altercations only. The Wagners had quite a few charges against them for several different things. They got off pretty easy on some of those...

Yes, I think someone was looking for this interview a couple weeks ago. If possible, could you add these links to the Media & Timelines Thread for the Rhoden murders? It will make it easier for someone to find it the next time they go looking. TIA.

I never did that before but I am happy to do it. Glad to contribute in any way I can. We all want the same thing.....
It's written on LM's T-Shirt.....
justice for gilley and rhodens - Bing images
LM is awesome. I have so much respect for him. :):D....Good guy........:)

Last edited:
Still to this day I cannot wrap my head around what the Wagners did. I just can't fathom thinking "i have a problem, oh, I know just the solution I'll kill someone, that'll solve my problem." Then, they did not stop with one person or one location but killed 8 people in 4 locations !

Further, I find it hard to believe this was their first time doing something like that.

I lost my paper with the next hearing dates. Does someone have it handy and if so can you please post the next hearing dates?

I never did that before but I am happy to do it. Glad to contribute in any way I can. We all want the same thing.....
It's written on LM's T-Shirt.....
justice for gilley and rhodens - Bing images
LM is awesome. I have so much respect for him. :):D....Good guy........:)

BBM
I can't wait till LM can say what he knows and thinks. He has to be ready to burst after being quiet so long. I don't know how he holds it in.

Other than the pot growing/selling which they were never charged with, I don't recall any criminal activity the Rhodens were charged with or found guilty of. There were some physical altercations only. The Wagners had quite a few charges against them for several different things. They got off pretty easy on some of those...

Since GW3 and AW were prosecuted in the past for theft, etc., they would have been on LE's radar. If GW3 was fencing stolen goods with any of the Rhodens, LE would have picked up on that and arrested them.

W's supporters can spin all they want but the evidence will speak for itself. Evil people with possible connections to white supremacist groups (based on GW3's tatts).

BBM
I can't wait till LM can say what he knows and thinks. He has to be ready to burst after being quiet so long. I don't know how he holds it in.

Yes, I think the W's were on his radar early on. The dogs were the big clue to him. JMO, he somehow knew the custody issue might be a motive but like the rest of us, probably had a difficult time accepting that the W's would kill 8 members of his family because of it.

I wonder if Donald Stone suspected the W's at first? He made the same point about KR's dangerous dog.

How many people go to they ol hags church? She’s a Sunday school teacher? I would NEVER let my kids go to her bible class. There can’t be many kids there at all.

Recall there was a youth minister affiliated with that church that was accused of molesting kids some years ago. Someone found the news story about it. It was linked here a few weeks ago.

Recall there was a youth minister affiliated with that church that was accused of molesting kids some years ago. Someone found the news story about it. It was linked here a few weeks ago.

Unfortunately, those are the roles that predators try to attain. Roles in which they work with children. I did not see that article, but there are literally thousands of similar ones, across the U.S., of chomos who have attained places of trust, over children, and it ending in them abusing them.

Unfortunately, those are the roles that predators try to attain. Roles in which they work with children. I did not see that article, but there are literally thousands of similar ones, across the U.S., of chomos who have attained places of trust, over children, and it ending in them abusing them.

Here it is. Mittens found it

Church’s youth leader accused of sex crimes

Church’s youth leader accused of sex crimes
Three girls report assaults, officials say

Columbus Dispatch/June 22, 2006
By Kelly Hassett

A Scioto County church youth-group leader has been accused of sexually assaulting three girls who were under his care.

Raymond Brown, 33, of Otway, was indicted Tuesday on six counts of rape in connection with two girls in his youth group at Lucasville Mission Church, said Jodi Conkel, a detective with the Scioto County sheriff’s office. Brown also faces one count of gross sexual imposition involving another girl, authorities said.

The girls were between ages 12 and 16 at the time of the abuse, Scioto County Assistant Prosecutor Julie Hutchinson said yesterday.

She and investigators are talking with two other girls whom they believe Brown also abused; one is 9 years old.

A message left yesterday at the church, about 75 miles south of Columbus, was not returned.

Brown, who is being held in the Scioto County jail without bond, faces up to life in prison if convicted, because he is accused of using force against the girls, Hutchinson said.

Deputy sheriffs got a call May 7 from adults at the church who said several girls told them Brown had sex with them numerous times, authorities said.

Two of the three girls said they were raped between January and March of this year, Hutchinson said.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robbi708